*OFFICIAL 2010 NBA Offseason Movement Thread

Talk about anything general in the NBA here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 8:30 pm
ok so while we're not going to be a player, this years free agency looms as the most interesting in a very long time

I found this view on Lebron, fascinating

Forbes: LeBron Could Buy Ownership In Knicks

The National Editor of Forbes predicts that LeBron James will join the Knicks, with one of the major financial drivers being James' ability to buy shares in the publicly-traded New York franchise.

The Knicks cannot compensate James with shares in the organization, Madison Square Garden, but James would be able to invest his personal wealth to acquire the public stocks. The theory is that these stocks would dramatically increase in value with James playing for the Knicks.

"Now I am telling you next season LeBron will be playing for the New York Knicks because this January they became the only franchise that can use their stock as currency," writes Ozanian.

"This would allow James to in essence work for himself and capture the upside in revenue from higher ratings on the MSG RSN, a soon-to-be renovated Madison Square Garden and much higher profits he will bring to these platforms," he explains.

In his position at Forbes, Ozanian specializes in corporate earnings, economics and sports team valuations.

would almost be inside trading!
uptempo wrote:Dude, why are you so obsessed with Mullin?
All Star
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 8:37 pm
Quazza wrote:ok so while we're not going to be a player, this years free agency looms as the most interesting in a very long time

The National Editor of Forbes predicts that LeBron James will join the Knicks, with one of the major financial drivers being James' ability to buy shares in the publicly-traded New York franchise.

The Knicks cannot compensate James with shares in the organization, Madison Square Garden, but James would be able to invest his personal wealth to acquire the public stocks. The theory is that these stocks would dramatically increase in value with James playing for the Knicks.

"Now I am telling you next season LeBron will be playing for the New York Knicks because this January they became the only franchise that can use their stock as currency," writes Ozanian.

"This would allow James to in essence work for himself and capture the upside in revenue from higher ratings on the MSG RSN, a soon-to-be renovated Madison Square Garden and much higher profits he will bring to these platforms," he explains.

In his position at Forbes, Ozanian specializes in corporate earnings, economics and sports team valuations.

That would be uhhhhhhh... Interesting. It would be like he is his own boss sort of. He could almost fire and hire coaches and GMs and stuff.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 25
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 11:13 pm
You said it Quazza, that's like Inside Trading. Really conflict of interest can only come about of such thing being allowed

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 11:27 pm
Eh... I don't think it's gonna be that easy. Not sure about the USA, but, usually, there are rules against being both the owner and employee of a franchise.

Nothing that can't be solved by making a third person buy the stocks and keep them for Lebron til he retires, tho...
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 3:08 am
TMC wrote:Eh... I don't think it's gonna be that easy. Not sure about the USA, but, usually, there are rules against being both the owner and employee of a franchise.

Nothing that can't be solved by making a third person buy the stocks and keep them for Lebron til he retires, tho...

That's what the rich priks do. They can always get someone to act like the owner, pay them more money than they ever would get anywhere else, and it works just fine

All Star
Poster Credit: 5
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 5:38 pm
me want iguodala
~LilBallerx~

All Star
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 7:36 pm
LilBallerx8 wrote:me want iguodala

you'd have to think it's not impossible if they pick Turner. I don't see those 2 fitting together at all
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 12:06 am
Quazza wrote:

you'd have to think it's not impossible if they pick Turner. I don't see those 2 fitting together at all

They have been shopping him around. I remember the rumor going around that they were willing to trade Dalembert/Iggy for Amare. I'm not saying I want Iguodala, but I wouldn't be surprised if they took Turner. They're trying to develop Young and Speights, while at the same time, trying to get rid of Elton Brand as well.

It's simple cross canceling really. Iggy has been shopped, they love Young and Speights... that basically opens the door for Turner and cancels it for Favors, Cousins, Monroe. For Philly it's simple... stay at 2nd overall and take Evan Turner, then trade Iguodala or trade down.

(Btw, I just saw Bada's post... so for anyone thinks that I copied what he said, I didn't.)
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 12:48 am
xbay wrote:
Quazza wrote:

They have been shopping him around. I remember the rumor going around that they were willing to trade Dalembert/Iggy for Amare. I'm not saying I want Iguodala, but I wouldn't be surprised if they took Turner. They're trying to develop Young and Speights, while at the same time, trying to get rid of Elton Brand as well.

It's simple cross canceling really. Iggy has been shopped, they love Young and Speights... that basically opens the door for Turner and cancels it for Favors, Cousins, Monroe. For Philly it's simple... stay at 2nd overall and take Evan Turner, then trade Iguodala or trade down.

(Btw, I just saw Bada's post... so for anyone thinks that I copied what he said, I didn't.)

Well said. I don't want Dalembert, but if Iggy could replace Monta, so Monta would have to go in the trade for him or in another trade, like for one of the bigs we've spoken of the last couple of months, it'd be real good, real good changes, not getting Dalembert ofcourse

All Star
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 1:20 am
we need to sell first

Can't see Cohan agreeing to take on Igg's contract
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 2:48 am
Quazza wrote:we need to sell first

Can't see Cohan agreeing to take on Igg's contract

Most likely, but the trade itself could be a good one. Iguodala is a very good player, but may have ended his stay there with the sixers

Rookie
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 12:06 pm
Quazza wrote:ok so while we're not going to be a player, this years free agency looms as the most interesting in a very long time

I would imagine the NBA would not be too happy with this---they already have rules in place to prevent players and teams from similar forms of financial trickery. If Ellison were to become Warriors owner, though, I wouldn't see him being above doing something similar, if it could make the team better.

Also, this article kind of makes me sick. New York is so full of itself---and its obsession with wealth and status just makes me want to vomit. If James goes for the Knicks, he will have truly given in to the "dark side". Bill Simmons wrote a great article about his choice, and how his decision will tell us what he's all about (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/100514&sportCat=nba). Going to NY will prove, at the core, that he isn't as concerned with winning as he tries to make himself out to be.
"Expectation is the root of all heartache."

--Shakespeare on what it's like to be a Warriors fan / human being.
All Star
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 5:21 pm
Maybe Vegi wrote:

I would imagine the NBA would not be too happy with this---they already have rules in place to prevent players and teams from similar forms of financial trickery. If Ellison were to become Warriors owner, though, I wouldn't see him being above doing something similar, if it could make the team better.

Also, this article kind of makes me sick. New York is so full of itself---and its obsession with wealth and status just makes me want to vomit. If James goes for the Knicks, he will have truly given in to the "dark side". Bill Simmons wrote a great article about his choice, and how his decision will tell us what he's all about (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/100514&sportCat=nba). Going to NY will prove, at the core, that he isn't as concerned with winning as he tries to make himself out to be.

oh for sure - if he wants a championship - go the the Bulls and play with Rose. If wants to become a billion $ athlete, go to the Knicks

Thing is, he's said he wants both
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 11:20 pm
Quazza wrote:
Maybe Vegi wrote:

oh for sure - if he wants a championship - go the the Bulls and play with Rose. If wants to become a billion $ athlete, go to the Knicks

I don't totally agree. If he signs with NY and gets another top free agent there, I just think they have as good or even better chance to win big as he would in Chicago. Rose is great, but in terms of winning, I think I'd rather have Lebron and Bosh than Lebron and Rose.

btw, keep an eye on Miami for the Lebron sweepstakes. Just saying...
All Star
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 12:39 am
TMC wrote:
Quazza wrote:
Maybe Vegi wrote:

I don't totally agree. If he signs with NY and gets another top free agent there, I just think they have as good or even better chance to win big as he would in Chicago. Rose is great, but in terms of winning, I think I'd rather have Lebron and Bosh than Lebron and Rose.

btw, keep an eye on Miami for the Lebron sweepstakes. Just saying...

yer fair points
Next

Return to NBA Forum