*Random NBA Thoughts That Aren't Worth A Thread Themselves*

Talk about anything general in the NBA here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 10
PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:18 am
http://www.nypost.com/p/news/national/n ... SuVKDQ8XBO

how much more dumb can people get? :roll:
"i wish i was a little bit taller" skee lo

Poster Credit: 21
PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:45 am
martin wrote:http://www.nypost.com/p/news/national/nba_gunpoint_R52AnT76DRgTSuVKDQ8XBO

I actually think this deserves its own thread... mainly cuz its such a stupid incident, and can get two NBA player suspended (if not kicked out) of the league... this is unprecedented territory and would be interesting to see what happens.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:09 am
Mr. Crackerz wrote:
martin wrote:http://www.nypost.com/p/news/national/nba_gunpoint_R52AnT76DRgTSuVKDQ8XBO

I actually think this deserves its own thread... mainly cuz its such a stupid incident, and can get two NBA player suspended (if not kicked out) of the league... this is unprecedented territory and would be interesting to see what happens.

I think the answer should be clear and quick: void their contracts and quick them out of the league for a few years. Kinda like the NFL did with Mike Vick.

And I don't think the Wizards would be too upset if that happens.
All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:51 pm
watching Lakers v Kings-Spencer Hawes can really play. Playing a hell of a game
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:40 am
Quazza wrote:watching Lakers v Kings-Spencer Hawes can really play. Playing a hell of a game

Am I the only one that thinks that the Kings play much better when Martin is not on the lineup?. With Tyreke Evans replacing him (even tho he hasn't been playing lately), I think this would be a good time to move him and add talent elsewhere.

Oh, and following on the Kings topic, Westphal is doing a great job there. He's gotta be one of the leading candidates for COY, and that's a big surprise, considering how bad that team looked at the beginning of the year and for how long he's been away from coaching.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:05 am
TMC wrote:
Quazza wrote:watching Lakers v Kings-Spencer Hawes can really play. Playing a hell of a game

Am I the only one that thinks that the Kings play much better when Martin is not on the lineup?. With Tyreke Evans replacing him (even tho he hasn't been playing lately), I think this would be a good time to move him and add talent elsewhere.

Oh, and following on the Kings topic, Westphal is doing a great job there. He's gotta be one of the leading candidates for COY, and that's a big surprise, considering how bad that team looked at the beginning of the year and for how long he's been away from coaching.

I wouldn't say that, Martin is one of the best young players in the nba. I'd look to trade Udrih, as he has been real good the last month or so. They have some young players that just don't look like ever being that good. I'd want a backcourt of Tyreke and Martin if I was them, could be one of the best in the nba

migya make the ring fall on ya
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:40 am
migya wrote:
TMC wrote:

I wouldn't say that, Martin is one of the best young players in the nba. I'd look to trade Udrih, as he has been real good the last month or so. They have some young players that just don't look like ever being that good. I'd want a backcourt of Tyreke and Martin if I was them, could be one of the best in the nba

Hawes has improved his game a lot since entering the NBA. Many labeled him as a bust or another Greg Ostertag. This guy has the potential to be their best center since Vlade Divac left. Jason Thompson has been solid for them as well. And Omri Casspi has become a dangerous perimeter scorer.

I'm never bowing down to the Queens, but I'm real interested to see how this team gels once Martin comes back. A line up of Hawes, Thompson, Casspi, Martin, and Evans will be very interesting.

I think they could move Martin for a legit PF, though. If they did that, they'd be scary since Hawes has an outside shot, creating many match up problems for many teams. I applaud the job Geoff Petrie has done in rebuilding that team since the Webber/Divac/Stojacivic days. I still didn't fully understand the Reggie Theus firing, but Paul Westphal has done a great job so far with the team.

I'd kill to have owners like the Maloofs and a GM like Petrie. But the Warriors will always suffer so long as Cohan is in control.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 5:05 am
xbay wrote:
migya wrote:
TMC wrote:

Hawes has improved his game a lot since entering the NBA. Many labeled him as a bust or another Greg Ostertag. This guy has the potential to be their best center since Vlade Divac left. Jason Thompson has been solid for them as well. And Omri Casspi has become a dangerous perimeter scorer.

I'm never bowing down to the Queens, but I'm real interested to see how this team gels once Martin comes back. A line up of Hawes, Thompson, Casspi, Martin, and Evans will be very interesting.

I think they could move Martin for a legit PF, though. If they did that, they'd be scary since Hawes has an outside shot, creating many match up problems for many teams. I applaud the job Geoff Petrie has done in rebuilding that team since the Webber/Divac/Stojacivic days. I still didn't fully understand the Reggie Theus firing, but Paul Westphal has done a great job so far with the team.

I'd kill to have owners like the Maloofs and a GM like Petrie. But the Warriors will always suffer so long as Cohan is in control.

I like Jason Thompson a lot, even above Hawes, although both play well together. He probably doesn't have the same upside, but is a lot more consistent than Hawes.

Back to Martin, I see him as a Monta clone, in the sense that he's a big time scorer that doesn't do a lot more.

I like Evans a lot and think his best position is at SG, and Udrih's contract is pretty good for the kind of performance he's having on the court, so I'd look to move Martin for a good SF, a Caron Butler type of guy, or even for an expirer, which would allow the Kings to offer a max contract to somebody next year.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:00 pm
TMC wrote:
xbay wrote:
migya wrote:
TMC wrote:

I like Jason Thompson a lot, even above Hawes, although both play well together. He probably doesn't have the same upside, but is a lot more consistent than Hawes.

Back to Martin, I see him as a Monta clone, in the sense that he's a big time scorer that doesn't do a lot more.

I like Evans a lot and think his best position is at SG, and Udrih's contract is pretty good for the kind of performance he's having on the court, so I'd look to move Martin for a good SF, a Caron Butler type of guy, or even for an expirer, which would allow the Kings to offer a max contract to somebody next year.

I would trade Martin, too. Unless they start reeling on wins and winning championships with that squad, which I doubt. Martin is very expendable, and if they can find a nice PF or SF option, they'll ball... not that they don't already. Plenty of names to go after next year as well if they traded Martin for an expirer, too.

They have a lot of pieces on that team that they could include in a deal with Martin, although if I were them I'd keep Hawes, Thompson, and Evans.
All Star
PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 5:52 pm
Aussie Patty Mills made his pro debut in the D League

Patrick Mills, on assignment from the Portland Trail Blazers with the Idaho Stampede, dropped 38 points off the Idaho bench Friday night, lifting the Stampede to a 123-109 New Year’s Day victory over the Reno Bighorns in the Reno Events Center.

Mills finished 7-of-10 from behind the arc and also had 12 assists in the win.

handy game
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:25 pm
I'm happy for Mills.

Wished he stayed at St. Mary's longer, though.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:35 am
I liked what I saw of Mills (which wasn't much, btw). But he's got in a bad situation in Portland, with Miller, Blake and even Bayless above him in the depth chart. Hopefully, he'll be able to use the d-league to showcase his talent and get a roster spot next year.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:41 am
TMC wrote:I liked what I saw of Mills (which wasn't much, btw). But he's got in a bad situation in Portland, with Miller, Blake and even Bayless above him in the depth chart. Hopefully, he'll be able to use the d-league to showcase his talent and get a roster spot next year.

Reckon Mills will end up on another team soon and be a backup for a few years or a career backup

migya make the ring fall on ya
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:24 am
Cuban not happy about facing Cowboys
Comment Email Print Share
By Tim MacMahon
ESPNDallas.com
Archive

DALLAS -- Mavericks owner Mark Cuban is firing criticism at a league office again, but this time he has the NFL in his crosshairs.

Cuban is upset that the NFL scheduled the Dallas Cowboys' home playoff game against the Philadelphia Eagles for Saturday night, which conflicts with the Mavericks' home game against the Utah Jazz.

"I know we're just little pissants compared to the NFL, but seriously, the NFL is turning into the ugly American when it comes to sports leagues," Cuban said. "They don't give a crap about anybody but themselves."

NFL spokesman Greg Aiello declined to respond to Cuban's comments.

The Mavericks' sellout streak of 334 consecutive games is not in jeopardy Saturday night because all the tickets have already been sold, Cuban said. However, he anticipates a high number of no-shows.

Cuban had nothing but praise for Cowboys owner Jerry Jones, his partner in bringing the NBA All-Star game to North Texas in February. However, Cuban lashed out at the NFL, which he said could lose the political support of other professional sports leagues if it continues to be inconsiderate with its scheduling.

"There's a balance between all the leagues," Cuban said. "They deal with similar issues. They deal with issues with copyright, antitrust, [Federal Communications Commission], all kinds of things. And it's going to bite them in the ass one day."

Cuban concluded with a jab at the NFL.

"Maybe the other leagues, when it comes to supporting them, will pull a Jim Irsay and disappear in the middle of the night," Cuban said, referring to the Colts' move from Baltimore to Indianapolis that was actually orchestrated by Jim Irsay's father Bob in 1984.

Tim MacMahon covers the Mavericks and Cowboys for ESPN Dallas. You can follow him on Twitter or leave a question for his weekly mailbag.

Agree or disagree?

Honestly, I don't think Texas will care much for the Mavericks anyway that night, since football means EVERYTHING to them in that state. Well, at least to Cowboys fans, it means everything. They're still looking for that first playoff win under Wade.
All Star
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:18 am
Mavericks are lucky they have an owner that cares. Even though the seats are already sold out, he wants people to attend and watch his team in action.
PreviousNext

Return to NBA Forum