Dwight Howard's Monster Season

Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 21375
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:50 am
Location: Perth
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 3:57 am
TMC wrote:
migya wrote:If the TWolves are kept relatively intact, only getting rid of the unneeded player ofcourse (like Ratliff, Walker and either Telfair or Jaric) and building properly, then it will be seen what Jefferson can really do in regards to being a winner


I like their core. Brewer at SF and Jefferson at PF is a great couple to build around, and McCants is playing well at SG. They need a center and I have my doubts about Foye at PG, but they have a nice core of young players to build around.

Although, with McHale around, you never know...



Brewer is a pretty terrible shooter and I think Gomes, if he gets a bit better at least, could be more than capable of being the starting SF. Not sure about Brewer, he is a very good rebounder and that is a very attractive trait for a player, especially at SF, but if can't score well and efficiently, best they trade him while his hyped and get something good for him.

Foye has to become a good PG or he is rather useless there, being an energiser off the bench is the only role he could play if he doesn't become a real good PG.

Getting a real good Center is what they should look for in the upcoming draft, either by drafting one or getting the best player available and trading that player, either alone or in a package, for a good Center or PF that can play Center real good. Maybe they can draft a PG and trade him to Portland for Aldridge or something like that
Image



Image


migya make the ring fall on ya
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 18461
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:48 am
Location: Somewhere in this site...
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 4:15 am
migya wrote:Brewer is a pretty terrible shooter and I think Gomes, if he gets a bit better at least, could be more than capable of being the starting SF. Not sure about Brewer, he is a very good rebounder and that is a very attractive trait for a player, especially at SF, but if can't score well and efficiently, best they trade him while his hyped and get something good for him.


Come on. You can't judge him til a couple of seasons down the road. He's not shooting well (actually, pretty bad), but he adds a lot of things in other categories. Boards, defense... It would be a big mistake to trade him right now.
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 21375
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:50 am
Location: Perth
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 4:36 am
TMC wrote:
migya wrote:Brewer is a pretty terrible shooter and I think Gomes, if he gets a bit better at least, could be more than capable of being the starting SF. Not sure about Brewer, he is a very good rebounder and that is a very attractive trait for a player, especially at SF, but if can't score well and efficiently, best they trade him while his hyped and get something good for him.


Come on. You can't judge him til a couple of seasons down the road. He's not shooting well (actually, pretty bad), but he adds a lot of things in other categories. Boards, defense... It would be a big mistake to trade him right now.



I'd read that he has worked on his shot for years but still has problems so not sure how soon he wil fix it
Image



Image


migya make the ring fall on ya
User avatar
Franchise Player
Posts: 9202
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:07 pm
Location: Land of the Lacob.
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:07 pm
migya wrote:
TMC wrote:
migya wrote:Brewer is a pretty terrible shooter and I think Gomes, if he gets a bit better at least, could be more than capable of being the starting SF. Not sure about Brewer, he is a very good rebounder and that is a very attractive trait for a player, especially at SF, but if can't score well and efficiently, best they trade him while his hyped and get something good for him.


Come on. You can't judge him til a couple of seasons down the road. He's not shooting well (actually, pretty bad), but he adds a lot of things in other categories. Boards, defense... It would be a big mistake to trade him right now.



I'd read that he has worked on his shot for years but still has problems so not sure how soon he wil fix it


Brewer has no perimeter game what-so-ever. His inside game is great, but his outside... meh. Just like at Florida, he was known as a defensive stopper and offensive rebounder. Give him couple years to develop a shot. If he can't then more power to your thoughts on him and the possibility of trading him.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 21375
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:50 am
Location: Perth
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:13 pm
If Brewer doesn't develop a jump shot he might now be able to co exist with Al Jefferson. Maybe he could but having two guys that can score well inside can be great but can also be a disaster as they could get in each other's way
Image



Image


migya make the ring fall on ya
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 2558
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:53 am
Location: where you aren't
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:33 pm
Thought I'd bump this thread. Howard has 64 rebounds (and counting, the game isn't over yet) in his last three games. Phenomenal.
ImageImage
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 21375
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:50 am
Location: Perth
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 8:22 pm
tHe_pEsTiLeNcE wrote:Thought I'd bump this thread. Howard has 64 rebounds (and counting, the game isn't over yet) in his last three games. Phenomenal.



The guy's a monster, mo doubt about it and he'll probably lead the league in rebounding but unless his team gets back to what they were doing a few weeks ago (winning) he won't get MVP
Image



Image


migya make the ring fall on ya
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 1563
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:02 pm
Location: Modesto, CA
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 4:46 am
Is he going to start in the All Star game? What is the voting totals so far?
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 18461
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:48 am
Location: Somewhere in this site...
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 5:00 am
sleandres wrote:Is he going to start in the All Star game? What is the voting totals so far?


Yep, last time I checked, he had a big difference above Shaq.
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 21375
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:50 am
Location: Perth
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 5:19 am
Dwight wil get the start over Shaq in the allstar game. In fact, Shaq might be injured for the allstar game
Image



Image


migya make the ring fall on ya

Role Player
Posts: 263
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2004 12:13 pm
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:43 am
The guy is the next Shaq

except smaller

with a better work ethic

and better attitude
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 21375
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:50 am
Location: Perth
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:47 am
lakerfool wrote:The guy is the next Shaq

except smaller

with a better work ethic

and better attitude



And not quite as dominant, though he is doing a good job this season
Image



Image


migya make the ring fall on ya
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 2558
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:53 am
Location: where you aren't
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:58 am
migya wrote:
lakerfool wrote:The guy is the next Shaq

except smaller

with a better work ethic

and better attitude



And not quite as dominant, though he is doing a good job this season


He's only 22 though. I could see him getting as dominant by his peak.

Shaq at 23 (what Dwight will turn this season) was averaging 26.6-11-2.1. Dwight is averaging 22.9-15.5-2.8. Those are pretty comparable numbers. I'm not saying Dwight is as good (because he isn't, not yet at least) but there's a good chance he'll be as good eventually.
ImageImage
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 21375
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:50 am
Location: Perth
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:16 am
tHe_pEsTiLeNcE wrote:
migya wrote:
lakerfool wrote:The guy is the next Shaq

except smaller

with a better work ethic

and better attitude



And not quite as dominant, though he is doing a good job this season


He's only 22 though. I could see him getting as dominant by his peak.

Shaq at 23 (what Dwight will turn this season) was averaging 26.6-11-2.1. Dwight is averaging 22.9-15.5-2.8. Those are pretty comparable numbers. I'm not saying Dwight is as good (because he isn't, not yet at least) but there's a good chance he'll be as good eventually.



I had forgotten Dwight was 18 when he arrived. You are right, he is similar and though I don't think he'll ever be quite as dominant, he is very young and could be close by the end of his career
Image



Image


migya make the ring fall on ya
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 18461
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:48 am
Location: Somewhere in this site...
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:01 am
lakerfool wrote:The guy is the next Shaq

except smaller

with a better work ethic

and better attitude


I don't think Shaq had a bad attitude. Other than his free throws, where his lack of practice and focus (mainly focus... from what I read/heard, he worked a lot on his free throws, but never was able to make them consistently) hurt him his whole career, I think he did what he had to do to be the unstoppable force he was.
PreviousNext

Return to Sports Board

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron