Game Thread: Warriors @ Memphis Grizzlies 2007-12-17

Talk about the upcoming Warriors game here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Can the Warriors bounce back with a victory in Memphis?

Poll ended at Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:53 pm

YES
100%
NO
No votes

Total votes : 9

Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:19 pm
this game had me a bit nervous at times, but the important thing is we got the W......here's a scary thought, we didn't get road win #7 until MARCH last year!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Its only December!!
I have seen the 49ers win a Superbowl. I have now seen the Giants win a world series. I need one more championship in my lifetime to make my life complete...

Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:33 pm
AB --> 13 minutes, 12 points, 7 rebounds... AMAZING PRODUCTION... lol..

B Nelly rewarded with 2 minutes alright!!! 1 reb and 1 assist not bad...
All Star
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:33 am
trivia question - when was the last time the Ws had a winning road record for the season?
To Live is A Value Judgment - Albert Camus
3 reasons for living: Jazz, Hoops and women

President Barack Hussein Obama - America chose Hope over Fear
ImageImage
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:50 am
coltraning wrote:trivia question - when was the last time the Ws had a winning road record for the season?

I don't know, but I wouldn't be surprised if we haven't had a winning road record since Webber was a Warrior... or since the Run TMC days. Or before...

As for the game, nothing unexpected. Memphis tries to win games with a small lineup with Gasol out, and that makes them a dangerous team. The only problem is that they don't have enough talent to win like that. Gay, Navarro, Lowry and Miller are ok, but that's not enough to win consistenly in the NBA. They're gonna lose lots of games like this one.

Big game by Captain Jack and also a good game by some others (Baron, Beans in the 13 minutes he played, Azu, Monta...) We're extremely hard to beat when several of our guys have good games.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:06 am
Very good win as the Grizz did put up a fight like I thought they would. I predicted Gay to become a real good player this season and he has definately become one, another great grab in my fantasy leagues.

The Warriors big three played well (Baron, SJackson and Monta ofcourse) but Biedrins had such a good productive game, as someone else mentioned here as well, and surprising he didn't play a fair bit more.

And for those who really like using the +/- stat, Pietrus had equal second highest of +12 :mrgreen: , and did well in his limited time

migya make the ring fall on ya

Role Player
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 7:32 am
As I said before the game I was nervous about this game. However, that strong run in the second quarter really did a number on the Grizzlies. They made a nice comeback in the 4th quarter, but there was only going to be one winner last night and it was the Warriors.

Stephen Jackson played well as did Monta. Biedrins and Azubuike were very productive as well in limited minutes. Another good team win where most everyone contributed. I like these kinds of wins the best.

With a trip to Minnesota tomorrow and New Jersey and Cleveland over the weekend I am hoping the Warriors can win two of the final three on this trip. That would be nice.
Role Player
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:05 am
I know we don't have any real insight into what goes on on Nellie's head, but those were some random line changes again. Would have liked to see more Beans as productive as he was, even against the smaller lineup, and would have liked to see Wright get a few minutes as well, with the lack of real bulk coming from the Grizz.

Still, loved to see Darko run off the court TWICE in just a few minutes at the start of each half.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:34 am
This might be the first time I've said this since his second tenure here, but...

NELSON NEARLY LOST US THE GAME.

In the 4th quarter, when the Grizz were pulling closer and closer... we desperately (and OBVIOUSLY) needed a big man in the game. Matt Barnes at center was a joke and Harrington wasn't doing a good enough job inside on defense. All 4th quarter, I waited for Biedrins to come back to the scorers table... or even Mbenga... or, in a hard-to-explain situation, even Brandan Wright, who played stellar against the Pistons! But it never came.

Instead, Nelson opted for Baron Davis (who had already played a ton of minutes and was carrying 5 fouls on him!). Thankfully, BD never fouled out and we pulled the victory together, but that 4th quarter was absolutely horrendous to watch. Nelson obviously SAW Biedrins dominating the game early... why did he sit him the entire 4th quarter?? We turned an 18-point game into a nail-biter purely because it seemed like Don Nelson was too stubborn to try putting a big man in there. It reminded me of our last game against the HEAT, where Pat Riley stubbornly tried to play small ball and lost. I thought it was coming full circle.

Nelson: for the love of Christ, use your goddamn stud, 6'11" players, will you? Screwing Brandan Wright and Patrick O'Bryant all season is one thing, but now you're putting Andris Biedrins in the doghouse, too?!? Come on, Nellie. Your small ball works 90% of the time, but when its not clicking, you got other players to play. And it wouldn't bug me if I didn't think those players were talented.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Rookie
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:42 pm
coltraning wrote:trivia question - when was the last time the Ws had a winning road record for the season?

the 1993-94 spree,webber team went 21-20 on the road

and in 1991-92 the Mullin,Hardaway,Marciulionis lead
team went 24-17 on the road

Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:15 pm
32 wrote:This might be the first time I've said this since his second tenure here, but...

NELSON NEARLY LOST US THE GAME.

In the 4th quarter, when the Grizz were pulling closer and closer... we desperately (and OBVIOUSLY) needed a big man in the game. Matt Barnes at center was a joke and Harrington wasn't doing a good enough job inside on defense. All 4th quarter, I waited for Biedrins to come back to the scorers table... or even Mbenga... or, in a hard-to-explain situation, even Brandan Wright, who played stellar against the Pistons! But it never came.

Instead, Nelson opted for Baron Davis (who had already played a ton of minutes and was carrying 5 fouls on him!). Thankfully, BD never fouled out and we pulled the victory together, but that 4th quarter was absolutely horrendous to watch. Nelson obviously SAW Biedrins dominating the game early... why did he sit him the entire 4th quarter?? We turned an 18-point game into a nail-biter purely because it seemed like Don Nelson was too stubborn to try putting a big man in there. It reminded me of our last game against the HEAT, where Pat Riley stubbornly tried to play small ball and lost. I thought it was coming full circle.

Nelson: for the love of Christ, use your goddamn stud, 6'11" players, will you? Screwing Brandan Wright and Patrick O'Bryant all season is one thing, but now you're putting Andris Biedrins in the doghouse, too?!? Come on, Nellie. Your small ball works 90% of the time, but when its not clicking, you got other players to play. And it wouldn't bug me if I didn't think those players were talented.

Wait are you saying that Nelson won the game for us then with the 2 second quarter subs????
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:37 pm
No, I'm saying the team built an 18-point lead and squashed it because Nelson was too stubborn to put a big man in the game. Biedrins, Mbenga, Wright... ANYONE. Baron Davis did the job, but a big man could have protected the lead before it was lost.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 10:16 pm
32, like the new look you got going there. I should get my a picture for my username, as well. I'll get that done when I get some time.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:44 am
32 wrote:No, I'm saying the team built an 18-point lead and squashed it because Nelson was too stubborn to put a big man in the game. Biedrins, Mbenga, Wright... ANYONE. Baron Davis did the job, but a big man could have protected the lead before it was lost.

Can't really comment on that, as I didn't watch the game... I just found odd that Beans didn't play more, considering how well he did in those 13 minutes.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:16 am
dubsfan1 wrote:

the 1993-94 spree,webber team went 21-20 on the road

and in 1991-92 the Mullin,Hardaway,Marciulionis lead
team went 24-17 on the road

That's right but Billy Owens was a big part of the success of that 1991/92 team. The Run TMC teams were never as good as that 1991/92 team and it was a disappointing playoff showing though

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:14 am
TMC wrote:
32 wrote:No, I'm saying the team built an 18-point lead and squashed it because Nelson was too stubborn to put a big man in the game. Biedrins, Mbenga, Wright... ANYONE. Baron Davis did the job, but a big man could have protected the lead before it was lost.

Can't really comment on that, as I didn't watch the game... I just found odd that Beans didn't play more, considering how well he did in those 13 minutes.

He looked outright dominant in the first quarter. If baffled me when Nelson took him out.
PreviousNext

Return to Game Threads