Dwight Howard's Monster Season

Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

User avatar
All Star
Posts: 2558
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:53 am
Location: where you aren't
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 12:53 am
Orlando has lost 4 out of 5 games, but that doesn't mean it's not a good time to bring up that Dwight Howard is having a Moses Malone level season.

Right now he's averaging:
23.4 ppg, 15.4 rpg (#1 in the league), 2.8 bpg (#3 in the league), on 62% shooting (#2 in the league) from the field. He's dunked the ball over a hundred times this season already, more than multiple teams. He's also taking 12.4 free throw attempts per game, meaning he's on a pace to take the most free throw attempts in a season of any player besides Wilt (meaning hack-a-shaq strategies were no more frequent than hack-a-dwight). Speaking of wilt, the only player in the history of the game to average 20 and 15 on 60% shooting was Wilt, which seem to be benchmarks Dwight is set to easily pass.

This is a guy that you'd trade Baron, Monta, and AB for and not feel ripped off.

The scary thing is he's only 22...
ImageImage
User avatar
Franchise Player
Posts: 5756
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:40 am
Location: On the couch watching sports
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 12:57 am
I'm sorry, but I am just not impressed with his game. Yeah, he is an awesome rebounder, and shot blocker, but his offensive game is non-existant at this point, and it doesnt seem to be improving. I know I shouldnt be picky about his game, but until he develops an offensive game, he is just a great defensive player to me.

I will explain myself about his offensive game. Yeah, he gets his points, as he should. He is just that good. Most of his points, however, are tip-ins, dunks, offensive rebounding, or alley-oops. He needs to develop a move to truly be dominating.
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 2558
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:53 am
Location: where you aren't
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 1:05 am
sfsfsfgiants wrote:I'm sorry, but I am just not impressed with his game. Yeah, he is an awesome rebounder, and shot blocker, but his offensive game is non-existant at this point, and it doesnt seem to be improving. I know I shouldnt be picky about his game, but until he develops an offensive game, he is just a great defensive player to me.

I will explain myself about his offensive game. Yeah, he gets his points, as he should. He is just that good. Most of his points, however, are tip-ins, dunks, offensive rebounding, or alley-oops. He needs to develop a move to truly be dominating.


The dude pretty much scores whenever he touches the ball. Yeah, he has no shooting touch, but he scores nearly 24 points per game on 60% shooting. You know how many people have scored 24 points per game on 60% shooting? Wilt, Kevin McHale, and Kareem. Saying his offensive game is non-existant is like saying Baron's passing skills are non-existant. Did Shaq ever develop any kind of touch around the basket? His offensive game was pretty similar to Dwight's (though prime shaq had a better offensive game than Dwight) and nobody would accuse him of having a bad offensive game.

He's the clear #1 candidate for MVP right now (though things could change) at 22 years of age, I don't see how you can say you're not impressed by his game.

I will go as far as to say that if there was a draft of all the players in the league and I was building for the future I'd take Dwight over LeBron with the #1 pick.
ImageImage
User avatar
Franchise Player
Posts: 9202
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:07 pm
Location: Land of the Lacob.
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 1:36 am
His scoring revolves around offensive rebounds and dunks. There's a reason why he led the league last year and currently is leading this year with most dunks.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 18461
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:48 am
Location: Somewhere in this site...
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 3:31 am
tHe_pEsTiLeNcE wrote:
sfsfsfgiants wrote:I'm sorry, but I am just not impressed with his game. Yeah, he is an awesome rebounder, and shot blocker, but his offensive game is non-existant at this point, and it doesnt seem to be improving. I know I shouldnt be picky about his game, but until he develops an offensive game, he is just a great defensive player to me.

I will explain myself about his offensive game. Yeah, he gets his points, as he should. He is just that good. Most of his points, however, are tip-ins, dunks, offensive rebounding, or alley-oops. He needs to develop a move to truly be dominating.


The dude pretty much scores whenever he touches the ball. Yeah, he has no shooting touch, but he scores nearly 24 points per game on 60% shooting. You know how many people have scored 24 points per game on 60% shooting? Wilt, Kevin McHale, and Kareem. Saying his offensive game is non-existant is like saying Baron's passing skills are non-existant. Did Shaq ever develop any kind of touch around the basket? His offensive game was pretty similar to Dwight's (though prime shaq had a better offensive game than Dwight) and nobody would accuse him of having a bad offensive game.

He's the clear #1 candidate for MVP right now (though things could change) at 22 years of age, I don't see how you can say you're not impressed by his game.

I will go as far as to say that if there was a draft of all the players in the league and I was building for the future I'd take Dwight over LeBron with the #1 pick.


I'm with Pest here. Dwight still has to develop his offensive game which, other than dunks and scoring under the basket, is almost non-existent. Still, even with no more weapons, nobody can't stop him. That counts, too.


What I don't like is the kind of team Orlando is putting together around him. I like Lewis, but his contract is absolutely ridiculous, and the rest of the guys do not look like a contender roster to me. And Dwight is carrying that team to one of the best records in the east. What he's doing is absolutely amazing.

As far as MVP goes... I think he's right there with Lebron. And Lebron will have to play like he did during the first month of the season to win the award over Dwight.
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 21381
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:50 am
Location: Perth
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 5:41 am
Like I said in my Lebron having a monster season thread, it will come down to the records of the relevant teams. Lebron is doing more in my opinion but Dwight is playing Shaq like, prime Shaq ofcourse.

As for the team the Magic have, I like it alot. Turkoglu looks to be perfect with Dwight, as does Rashard.Turkoglu is having easily his best season. Jameer is the one thatis frustrating the most as he should be far more consistent and a bit better by now. The Magic need a proper PF so Rashard goes to SF and Turkoglu goes to SG and they will be a much better team.A PF that rebounds some and defends some would be perfect for them
Image



Image


migya make the ring fall on ya
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 3086
Joined: Fri Jul 21, 2006 9:51 pm
Location: Redwood City, CA
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:41 pm
I agree that Dwight should get MVP... he has the offensive capabilities to go to 28-30ish PPG if he develops... along with 15 RPG and 3 BPG. However, Rashard Lewis's contract pretty much guarantees that they won't get a ring, since he isn't moveable. Imagine if they had waited and signed Lebron. :shock:
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 13536
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:03 pm
Location: Golden State
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 4:19 pm
Dwight Howard is within the Top 10 in points per game, rebounds per game, blocks per game, and field goal percentage. The last player to do that was Shaquille O'Neal (who did it 12 years running). To put it into perspective, Hakeem Olajuwon only did it twice. THAT's how good Dwight is playing. He's being compared to Shaq and Wilt... aka the most dominant players of all-time .
Image
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Image
Image
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 3042
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:42 pm
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 11:29 pm
yeah, it is fairly irrelevant how he scores if no one can stop him...
To Live is A Value Judgment - Albert Camus
3 reasons for living: Jazz, Hoops and women

President Barack Hussein Obama - America chose Hope over Fear
ImageImage
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 13536
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:03 pm
Location: Golden State
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:04 am
When was the last time we had a scorer in this league that TRULY no one could stop...?

Even when Shaq was playing, they imported a bunch of tall, fat, non-talented big men to put a body on Shaq (Tractor Traylor, Big Country Reeves, Adonal Foyle, etc)... and that at least slowed him down to 30 PPG in his day. But Shaq had a baby hook, a spin move, and handles that put Dwight's to shame. The fact that Howard is so incredibly dominant is a twofold equation: firstly, because he's so physically gifted that no one can keep him off the block and, two, because the big men in this league have reached an all-time low, as far as smashmouthed basketball. Even a big monster, like Mbenga, takes charges. That's pathetic. Dwight is running on this league because its evolved into an association that a quality big man can dominate. If Shaq came out today, he'd average 35, 15, and 4. No joke.
Image
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Image
Image
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 13536
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:03 pm
Location: Golden State
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:12 am
On a related note, another monster is quickly coming up. I see Al Jefferson having a quietly dominant year this year... and than exploding next season. He's like Dwight Howard, only behind a year.

Jefferson is averaging career-highs in PPG (20.1), free throw percentage (70.4%), SPG (0.9), APG (1.3), offensive rebounds per game (3.7), defensive rebounds per game (7.8), RPG (11.5), and minutes (36.5), to go along with his usual 1.3 BPG. Its also worth mentioning that Jefferson is keeping out of foul trouble: averaging 2.7 FPG (which he hasn't done since he was a rookie). What's truly scary is that Jefferson is dominating while his FG% has been slightly below-average, by his standards, this year. 48% is a career-low for him. Imagine next season, if she shoots 53 or 54%.

I predict Jefferson will have an extreme breakout season next year. While It won't be the absolute rampage that Dwight Howard is going on, it'll be something special. Jefferson's a better inside scorer than Howard and should be in the upwards of 25, 26 PPG by next year, provided the Timberwolves keep going to him and don't crowd the offense by giving Randy Foye too many shots.
Image
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Image
Image
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 18461
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:48 am
Location: Somewhere in this site...
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:20 am
The problem with Jefferson is winning. He's never put up numbers for a winning team. Then again, he's only played enough minutes for two of the worst teams the NBA has seen lately...

Time will tell. I'm just saying I'm not that impressed with players that get big numbers for losing teams. 20 and 10?. Sure... what I'm not so sure is if those 20 and 10 will lead Minny anywhere.
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 13536
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:03 pm
Location: Golden State
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:27 am
Not this year. But next year, after they get Mickael Beasley, OJ Mayo, or Roy Hibbert, things may be different. A frontcourt of Hibbert, Jefferson, and Brewer, along with Foye and Gerald Green in the backcourt, is scary athletic.
Image
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Image
Image
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 18461
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:48 am
Location: Somewhere in this site...
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:32 am
32 wrote:Not this year. But next year, after they get Mickael Beasley, OJ Mayo, or Roy Hibbert, things may be different. A frontcourt of Hibbert, Jefferson, and Brewer, along with Foye and Gerald Green in the backcourt, is scary athletic.


Keep in mind we're talking about McHale... He might go for that Koufos guy and make Al Jefferson the new KG. :wink:

Also, about Gerald Green, it's weird that, with the lack of talent Minny has, he can't even crack the rotation... Not a bad sign for his future. Not at all.
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 13536
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:03 pm
Location: Golden State
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:37 am
I feel he's unfairly pulled, at times. Jackson and Harrington are streaky players. If they start 0-for-6, Nelson understands that they are just as capable of going 8 for their next 8, so he'll leave them in and the laws of averages almost always equal out. With Green, it seems he has a shorter leash. In the single game this year that he's played 20 minutes, he had 13 against Cleveland going 6-for-8, 3 rebounds, and 2 assists.
Image
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Image
Image
Next

Return to Sports Board

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 1 guest

cron