SF Giants fans, meet Aaron Rowand

Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:33 pm
Eric Byrnes is to the Giants what Jason Kidd is to the Warriors. Local kid that everybody wishes we had... and there are always a million trade proposals for them on the ESPN forums.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD

All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:37 pm
32 wrote:Eric Byrnes is to the Giants what Jason Kidd is to the Warriors. Local kid that everybody wishes we had... and there are always a million trade proposals for them on the ESPN forums.

Heh, yeah. Only thing is Kidd is a HoFer, and the Giants could have signed Byrnes for a pretty damn good price when the DBacks snatched him up.
StuckInSoCal
(GSW for life)
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 5:05 pm
I was lobbying for them to get Byrnes, as well, but, now with the way the team is, we dont need him anymore. As for signing him a couple of years ago, there is no way that we could have known that he would explode in the way that he did. Looking back in hindsight is never good, bud. :wink:
All Star
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 5:42 pm
StuckInSoCal wrote:The Giants never gave Byrnes a chance, and they should have. My guess is that he was just too young and crazy for Sabean. The only knock on that guy is that he's too damn streaky (he hit .176 in the playoffs last year in seven games), but for a rebuilding team that really doesn't matter.

But... .286 BA, 21 HR and 50 SBs is sure a fun stat line. Wish he was in a Giants uni.

Good point...If only one of the Giants could have hit .176 in the playoffs :mrgreen: But yeah..I wish he was in the Orange and Black
Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 5:06 pm
Wow, this signing might actually keep the Giants under the 100 loss mark next year.

It's always good to sign a good player and I think the money is about fair. But from what I can see the Giants have about 6 holes in their lineup, and if they have to spend 12m a year patching the they are going to be in trouble. Brian Sabean is perhaps the worst general manager in the history of proffesional sports.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:04 pm
David Wood wrote: Brian Sabean is perhaps the worst general manager in the history of proffesional sports.

I am not going to argue that with you. I truly believe that, as well. When I see some of the moves that he makes, it makes me wonder if he is right in the head. One of the best thing about human beings is the ability to learn from mistakes. You can realize what you did wrong, and do your best to minimize it, however possible, in the future. I dont think that Sabean can do this. Every year, we trade a talented young player, normally a pitcher, for a veteran player that doesnt seem to help the team, (I.E. Hillenbrand, Pierzinski) or, going against his yearly word, he signs old guys to big contracts. (I.E. Roberts, Aurilia, Klesko, Durham)

Learn from your damn mistakes. Know when you are wrong, and fix it. Look what Mullin did... in the course of three years, he has gotten rid of the bad contracts of Fisher, Murphy, Dunleavy, and Foyle. It is possible to fix mistakes, Sabes.

All Star
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:33 am
sfsfsfgiants wrote:
David Wood wrote: Brian Sabean is perhaps the worst general manager in the history of proffesional sports.

I am not going to argue that with you. I truly believe that, as well. When I see some of the moves that he makes, it makes me wonder if he is right in the head. One of the best thing about human beings is the ability to learn from mistakes. You can realize what you did wrong, and do your best to minimize it, however possible, in the future. I dont think that Sabean can do this. Every year, we trade a talented young player, normally a pitcher, for a veteran player that doesnt seem to help the team, (I.E. Hillenbrand, Pierzinski) or, going against his yearly word, he signs old guys to big contracts. (I.E. Roberts, Aurilia, Klesko, Durham)

Learn from your damn mistakes. Know when you are wrong, and fix it. Look what Mullin did... in the course of three years, he has gotten rid of the bad contracts of Fisher, Murphy, Dunleavy, and Foyle. It is possible to fix mistakes, Sabes.

agree. i find it funny how last off-season he said he was looking to go younger and then turns around and signs bengie molina, ryan klesko, and dave roberts.
"the victorious warrior wins first, and then goes to war; the defeated warrior goes to war first, and hopes to win."- The Art of War

Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:12 am
EMan32 wrote:
sfsfsfgiants wrote:

agree. i find it funny how last off-season he said he was looking to go younger and then turns around and signs bengie molina, ryan klesko, and dave roberts.

I actually understood the Bengie signing. He was still playing well, and we really needed a catcher, a perfect fit. We didnt have to sign him to a huge contract, and he still plays up to his game. He is the most clutch player we have, and can consistantly knock singles, especially for a catcher.

Klesko and Roberts were both stupid signins, giving huge contracts to guys way past their prime, who really werent all that good in their prime. Those are the signings that make me mad.... useless signings...

All Star
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:00 am
The Molina signing was awesome. If you throw out Bonds, he was our best offensive player last year, and he caught a very young staff. Also, when you're building your defense, you really want a solid catcher, shortstop and centerfielder. Molina is valuable in a multitude of ways, and unless he's blocking the way for a stud prospect (which, to my knowledge, he isn't), he's one of Sabean's better moves in the past few years.

Roberts was a HORRIBLE signing. I find it hard to knock the Klesko signing. One year at $1.75 million, giving a brand new coach a familiar face in the dugout as a reserve/spot starter? Not a horrible move.

But yeah, I'll say it again. Roberts was a bad signing. We should just bite the bullet and cut him. Of course, then we wouldn't have a lead-off hitter with any experience going into the season.
StuckInSoCal
(GSW for life)
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:19 am
We shouldn't cut Roberts. He can still be among the league leaders, when it comes to stolen bases, so I believe he has some collateral value. If we can get salary relief for him, I'd be happy.

All Star
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:52 am
32 wrote:We shouldn't cut Roberts. He can still be among the league leaders, when it comes to stolen bases, so I believe he has some collateral value. If we can get salary relief for him, I'd be happy.

No way they cut him. I just would like him gone.
StuckInSoCal
(GSW for life)
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:32 pm
My ideal Giants lineup, with what we have now:

1) Rajai Davis, CF
2) Omar Vizquel, SS
3) Nate Shierholtz, 1B
4) Aaron Rowand, LF
5) Dan Ortmeyer, RF
6) Ray Duram, 2B
7) Bengie Molina, C
8) Kevin Fransend, 3B
9) Tim Lincecum, P

Obviously, Randy Winn would be in the outfield rotation, giving rest to whoever needs it. I know he'll probably start over Ort', but I think thats a crime. I'd rather have our young guns, like Ortmeyer and Shierholtz, up than giving them to a sh*tty veteran. Hopefully, before the season starts, the Giants can swing Scott Rolen to play 3rd and dish away Ray Duram's horrendous contract to give Mumbles some playing time.

All Star
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:46 pm
You're such a Lincecum guy, I can tell. =) Zito will take the opening day nod for his veteran role, or else Cain for his season last year. Lincecum may start the season as our no. 4 started behind even Lowry, who, of course, has a few more years under his belt.
StuckInSoCal
(GSW for life)
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:52 pm
Haha, Lincecum is a savage.

I think Timmy will start the season as the #4 (behind Zito, Cain, and Lowry if we still have him), but will end it closer to #2. I can only see Cain having a better season than him... and, even then, with more experience and less rookie mistakes, I can see Lincecum ending the year with more than 200 K's. If he gets the innings, he'll do the work.

All Star
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:00 pm
32 wrote:Haha, Lincecum is a savage.

I think Timmy will start the season as the #4 (behind Zito, Cain, and Lowry if we still have him), but will end it closer to #2. I can only see Cain having a better season than him... and, even then, with more experience and less rookie mistakes, I can see Lincecum ending the year with more than 200 K's. If he gets the innings, he'll do the work.

He'll get those innings if he doesn't have the melt downs. That kid was amazing in half of his games last season, looking like he could go nine. In other games he never made the fifth. He's also what, 24 years old? I think he's going to be a big time pitcher if he can avoid injuries.
StuckInSoCal
(GSW for life)
Previous

Return to Sports Board