SF Giants Hot Stove Thread

Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:22 am
ChronicallyInclined wrote:yeah rolen is making some dough, but i believe its only 2 years, and villalona will probably be in the picture by then.

i hear rumor from yahoo that the giants are showing interest in former blue chipper from the angels, 1b/3b dallas mcpherson. his biggest problem has been his health, apparently he is on the comeback trail from back sugery. it'd be a low risk/high reward type of move, the angels got rid of glaus because they said dallas had 40hr potential. the kid is still only 27. might be worth a look, and fare better with a change of scenery?

Rolen is perfect. Who cares about the money? As long as they don't sign him past 2010 he's perfect. Rolen is signed for $12 million in 2008, $12 million in 2009 and $12 million in 2010, plus another million (or less) per season for his signing bonus.

But like I've said a dozen times, the Giants have money. What they don't have is young talent. They'll need AT LEAST three seasons (more like 5) to really develop a core of young players, so spending money on guys like Rolen for a few years doesn't hurt the rebuilding process. It does, however, put butts in the seats.
StuckInSoCal
(GSW for life)
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:29 am
Especially if he rejuvinates his career. If he can have another season where he hits .300, clocks 30 HR's, and over 100 RBI's... I'd buy a ticket for that.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD

All Star
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:05 am
32 wrote:Especially if he rejuvinates his career. If he can have another season where he hits .300, clocks 30 HR's, and over 100 RBI's... I'd buy a ticket for that.

As would I.
StuckInSoCal
(GSW for life)

All Star
Poster Credit: 5
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:05 pm
32 wrote:I'd be willing to look at McPherson. We still don't have a set first baseman (I'd, personally, love to see them stick Shierholtz there full time, but I doubt that'll happen).

I'd prefer schierholtz to play first also, i think he has more upside than ortmeier. but he's an OF, but he should learn first so he can get more AB's, cuz the outfield is crowded...
"Losing is inevitably close to winning," Guber said. "They're inches apart. Drama. If you have drama, you've got a ticket to sell." "They're not real fans," Lacob said. "They don't have season tickets."
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:21 am
ChronicallyInclined wrote:
32 wrote:I'd be willing to look at McPherson. We still don't have a set first baseman (I'd, personally, love to see them stick Shierholtz there full time, but I doubt that'll happen).

I'd prefer schierholtz to play first also, i think he has more upside than ortmeier. but he's an OF, but he should learn first so he can get more AB's, cuz the outfield is crowded...

Not only that, but Nate has an arm like an 8-year old girl, so first base might actually be a better fit for him, if he can learn it...
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 4:55 pm
32 wrote:
ChronicallyInclined wrote:

Not only that, but Nate has an arm like an 8-year old girl, so first base might actually be a better fit for him, if he can learn it...

Ortmeier played pretty damn bad in the outfield. If he wants to be a player in the league, he needs to get it done at first.

Same thing goes for Nate. Nate is a normal third baseman, not sure if you guys knew that or not. When they drafted him, they had Pedro ranked high and they needed a replacement for Grisson, Alou, Bonds, and Finley. How times change.... Anyways, yeah, I wouldnt be surprised to see Nate cut the team as a third baseman next year.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:05 am
That's an ideal situation, if we're unable to aquire Scott Rolen.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:57 pm
32 wrote:That's an ideal situation, if we're unable to aquire Scott Rolen.

As much as I wish it to happen, just like you do, it wont. They are too high on Feliz. If they happen to get rid of him, someone else will step in. I really wouldnt be surprised to see Nate getting games at first, third, left, right, and center next year. Same with Frandsen at catcher, first, second, third, short, left, and right. They are both going to be utility players.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:30 am
Chris Haft said that Nate won't move back to 3B because he's been playing the outfield since 2004... that sounds like BS. If a guy grows up playing a position, I doubt he'd forget it in 3 years.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 2:44 pm
If they do decide not to move Nate back to third, it would be because they dont feel they need him there, not because he cant play it. That is retarded for a guy to even say... These guys are professional athletes, not little kids.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 3:07 pm
He's a beat writer. You gotta question whether or not his IQ is in the single digits.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 3:19 pm
The thing that makes me mad more than anything is when people who dont know a lot about a sport pretend like they do. If you dont know a whole lot, fine, who cares? But if you are acting like you do know stuff, yet you dont know sh*t, I dispise that. That is why I dont like Mike Greenberg. He is a little prick.

Just to show my side, I have admitted this before: I really dont know a whole lot about basketball. I dont get involved in a whole lot of those debates about it. However, I do know my baseball, and I will get involved in that, if I have something to say.

Sometimes, people need to realize their limitations. It would make it easier on us all.

All Star
Poster Credit: 5
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:36 pm
32 wrote:Chris Haft said that Nate won't move back to 3B because he's been playing the outfield since 2004... that sounds like BS. If a guy grows up playing a position, I doubt he'd forget it in 3 years.

lol that is hella funny. it sounds bad but maybe the reason they moved him from 3rd 3 years ago was because he was just terrible and had no future as a big leaguer there?
"Losing is inevitably close to winning," Guber said. "They're inches apart. Drama. If you have drama, you've got a ticket to sell." "They're not real fans," Lacob said. "They don't have season tickets."
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:18 am
sfsfsfgiants wrote:The thing that makes me mad more than anything is when people who dont know a lot about a sport pretend like they do. If you dont know a whole lot, fine, who cares? But if you are acting like you do know stuff, yet you dont know sh*t, I dispise that. That is why I dont like Mike Greenberg. He is a little prick.

I gotta whole list of people like Greenberg that I can't stand. Usually stuff-shirt play-by-play men that don't know jack sh*t about anything, announce for 5 different sports, and are more concerned with how they sound, rather than the actual game. Dick Stockton, Kevin Harlan, Bob Costas, Marv Albert... they're all cut from the same mold as Greenberg. Tony Kornheiser doesn't know dick about anything but football, but he gets to have his own show because he's zany and gets cheap laughs outta people.

Than, take Bob Fitzgerald for example. This guy has never played sports, but grows up as a mega-fan, announces, has his own radio show, and basically lives, sleeps, and breathes sports, despite never being a player. THAT, I respect.

All Star
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:32 pm
32 wrote:
sfsfsfgiants wrote:The thing that makes me mad more than anything is when people who dont know a lot about a sport pretend like they do. If you dont know a whole lot, fine, who cares? But if you are acting like you do know stuff, yet you dont know sh*t, I dispise that. That is why I dont like Mike Greenberg. He is a little prick.

I gotta whole list of people like Greenberg that I can't stand. Usually stuff-shirt play-by-play men that don't know jack sh*t about anything, announce for 5 different sports, and are more concerned with how they sound, rather than the actual game. Dick Stockton, Kevin Harlan, Bob Costas, Marv Albert... they're all cut from the same mold as Greenberg. Tony Kornheiser doesn't know dick about anything but football, but he gets to have his own show because he's zany and gets cheap laughs outta people.

Than, take Bob Fitzgerald for example. This guy has never played sports, but grows up as a mega-fan, announces, has his own radio show, and basically lives, sleeps, and breathes sports, despite never being a player. THAT, I respect.

Fitz, IMO, was in his element more than a decade ago when he had the KNBR evening show. I'd get home from junior high or high school and turn on the radio and either listen to Giants baseball or Fitz talking all night long. He knew he ****, and really pushed me to becoming a bigger and bigger sports fan.

I loved his themed days, including bitter Bob Thursdays. Why are you bitter? Man, if he was having that show still how many Bay Area sports fans would call him up?
StuckInSoCal
(GSW for life)
PreviousNext

Return to Sports Board