SF Giants Hot Stove Thread

Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:21 pm
I'd give up Lincecum for Rios and Willis. Dontrelle is a savage. Think what you want, SoCal, but the dude fanned 170 batters in 2005 with an ERA of 2.63 and a 22/10 record. Admittedly, Lincecum will eventually blow those numbers outta the water... but combined with a stud like Alex Rios (who, lets be honest, has a 4-year track record and hasn't even hit his prime yet)... and I wouldn't think twice about it.

But, goddamn, having to throw in Sanchez and Wilson to get him...? That's another story. Sanchez, I don't mind so much... but Wilson is a keeper. Especially if they lose Lincecum. They need a closer like him. Insert Messenger instead and we got a deal.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:27 pm
32 wrote:I'd give up Lincecum for Rios and Willis. Dontrelle is a savage. Think what you want, SoCal, but the dude fanned 170 batters in 2005 with an ERA of 2.63 and a 22/10 record. Admittedly, Lincecum will eventually blow those numbers outta the water... but combined with a stud like Alex Rios (who, lets be honest, has a 4-year track record and hasn't even hit his prime yet)... and I wouldn't think twice about it.

But, goddamn, having to throw in Sanchez and Wilson to get him...? That's another story. Sanchez, I don't mind so much... but Wilson is a keeper. Especially if they lose Lincecum. They need a closer like him. Insert Messenger instead and we got a deal.

I'm with SoCal. I have never really liked Willis. Yeah, he had an AWESOME rookie season, but teams are starting to learn his windup. That is why he has gotten worse every season.

As for Messenger, I dont think he is on the team. Last I heard, he was a free agent this year, and they were planning on getting rid of him. He is no good anyway.

All Star
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:07 am
That's an interesting trade idea, Sf. Did you make it up or is there talk of that happening?

Willis scares the hell out of me. Since he posted that amazing year at what, 23 years old?, his ERA has gone up in each of the last two years, as has his walks, while his strikeouts have gone down. If he pitches well this year with a new and BETTER team I'll tip my cap and say he was just having a rough time in a baaaad organization, but if his numbers go down again I'll likely blow him off as a one-year wonder.
StuckInSoCal
(GSW for life)

All Star
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:10 am
The latest...

May the highest bidder win
Kosuke Fukudome | Interested: Giants? Padres? White Sox? Cubs?
The Padres are facing determined competition from the Cubs for Japanese outfielder Kosuke Fukudome, the San Diego Union-Tribune reports. Chicago might be willing to guarantee Fukudome close to $50 million. The Padres have offered more than $10 million per year, perhaps well above that amount, over at least three years.

According to the San Jose Mercury News, the Giants also are interested in making a late push for Fukudome. Fukudome's U.S.-based agent, Joe Urbon, confirmed he has spoken with San Francisco officials but described the talks as "limited and infrequent."
StuckInSoCal
(GSW for life)

All Star
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:13 am
More on Godzilla:

Giant steps to the West?
Hideki Matsui | Yankees | Interested: Giants?
The Yankees are contemplating trading Hideki Matsui to the Giants for pitching help, The New York Post reports. Right-handers Tim Lincecum or Matt Cain appear to be untouchable, but lefty Johnathan Sanchez could be the start of a Giants package.

Although the Yankees haven't asked Matsui to waive his no-trade clause and accept a deal to San Francisco, there are strong indications he won't stand in the way of a move. When the Giants asked the Blue Jays about outfielder Alex Rios at the winter meetings, they contacted the Yankees to see if Matsui was available. According to several sources, the Giants weren't told no.
StuckInSoCal
(GSW for life)
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:49 pm
StuckInSoCal wrote:That's an interesting trade idea, Sf. Did you make it up or is there talk of that happening?

I wouldnt put something here unless it had some validity to it. I am saying all I have heard. The Giants would move Lincecum if they could get Willis with it. Brian Wilson's name is just a name that I added because they would need one more player to make it work, probably a reliever, and Wilson would be the guy that they would want. They could also probably trade Eddy Martinez Estave or Freddy Lewis, if they wanted them instead.

All Star
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:47 pm
sfsfsfgiants wrote:
StuckInSoCal wrote:That's an interesting trade idea, Sf. Did you make it up or is there talk of that happening?

I wouldnt put something here unless it had some validity to it. I am saying all I have heard. The Giants would move Lincecum if they could get Willis with it. Brian Wilson's name is just a name that I added because they would need one more player to make it work, probably a reliever, and Wilson would be the guy that they would want. They could also probably trade Eddy Martinez Estave or Freddy Lewis, if they wanted them instead.

Only reason I asked was because I hadn't heard anything about it and I know that many users like to post trades they would like to see on this forum.

What do you think of all this Godzilla talk? He would easily fill our #4 or #5 slot on the team. Even if he gets injured I think he'd be a solid addition to our short term ball club.
StuckInSoCal
(GSW for life)
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:05 pm
StuckInSoCal wrote:
sfsfsfgiants wrote:

What do you think of all this Godzilla talk? He would easily fill our #4 or #5 slot on the team. Even if he gets injured I think he'd be a solid addition to our short term ball club.

I like Matsui, and I would be more than willing to give up Sanchez, but nothing more. If they want Lewis, Ortmeier, guys like that, I would tell the Yankees to take a hike. He would be the best option that they have. A guy that can come in, get you .290 with 25 homers and 95 RBI's, and does everything consistantly. We also wouldnt have to give up a megastar young pitcher and get a quality bat in return. I would like to see them trade Lowry, as well. Start moving forward.

Also, I heard that the Giants offered Aaron Rowand a contract. I dont know the details about it or anything, but I give them credit for going after someone. I would say about 8 million is right for him. He is another good player, that can make an impact on a team with his pure energy, not to mention his all around game.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:23 pm
Newest thing about Matsui, from the Post:

The New York Yankees haven't asked Hideki Matsui to waive his no-trade clause and accept a deal to the San Francisco Giants, but there were strong indications he wouldn't object to a deal according to the New York Post.

It appears the Yankees are considering trading Matsui for pitching help. They likely can't get right-handers Tim Lincecum or Matt Cain from the Giants, but lefty Johnathan Sanchez could be the start of a Giants package. Four of Sanchez's 33 appearances last year were as a starter. He was 1-5 with a 5.88 ERA.

With Johnny Damon in left and Jason Giambi as the designated hitter, Matsui's playing time would be reduced and could be the reason he wouldn't stand in the way of a trade. In order to approve a trade, the 33-year-old, who is owed $26 million across the next two years, could seek an extension from the Giants.

*EDITED* One more good site that I found here, this one from ESPN:

The Giants and Yankees still have a long ways to go before they could finish off a trade that would send Hideki Matsui to the Giants, but the teams continue to talk, ESPN.com's Jayson Stark reports.

The two sides appear to be building momentum toward a deal, according to baseball officials who have been in touch with both clubs.

One source said the Giants "really want to do this" if the teams can settle on the players. The Yankees have rejected an offer of Matsui for starter Noah Lowry. But they've targeted pitcher Jonathan Sanchez. And one baseball man with knowledge of the discussions said the teams would like to "build the deal around Sanchez and go from there."

The Giants, meanwhile, have swatted away all efforts by the Yankees to obtain Tim Lincecum or Matt Cain.

*EDITED* The Cubs have just signed Kosuku Fukudome. There goes that option. :|

All Star
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:11 pm
If the Giants could somehow swing Aaron Rowand and Matsui I would be more than impressed. Of course, that would crowd the OF and block the way for prospects, which isn't exactly what we had in mind. With Randy Winn still around (hey, the guy hit .300 last year and is usually good for solid numbers) that would give the Giants three veteran OF. Not good.

But hey, if they want to sell tickets, they'll swing something like that. I think Sabean needs to find a way to keep the Giants above 70 wins. They won 71 last year with Bonds, but Bonds played a limited role. They have the starting pitching (I think), so if they could rough together a decent offensive core they may be OK and not be the laughing stock of the NL West.
StuckInSoCal
(GSW for life)
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:46 pm
StuckInSoCal wrote:They have the starting pitching (I think), so if they could rough together a decent offensive core they may be OK and not be the laughing stock of the NL West.

That is just a moral victory. Being next to last, rather than last means squat in the stat sheet. The only thing that matters is the playoffs, and anything other than that is no good. I know it is pretty harsh, but it is true. One player wont make a difference. That is why I am against the Rios trade. They need to start rebuilding, slowly, around the nucleus of young pitching that they have.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:16 am
Randy Winn did not hit .300 last year. He was a .220 batter the WHOLE year, and then went on a .400-.500 average hot streak in the final, useless month of the season (after the playoffs were totally out of the question) and jacked his averaged up to .300. Its misleading to claim that was his average, because the vast majority of the season, he was barely hovering above .200

He should be trade fodder. First chance we get, we should dish him.

All Star
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:57 am
32 wrote:Randy Winn did not hit .300 last year. He was a .220 batter the WHOLE year, and then went on a .400-.500 average hot streak in the final, useless month of the season (after the playoffs were totally out of the question) and jacked his averaged up to .300. Its misleading to claim that was his average, because the vast majority of the season, he was barely hovering above .200

He should be trade fodder. First chance we get, we should dish him.

I totally see your point, but .300 is .300. That's the game of baseball. It's not basketball where a guy usually shoots pretty much the same all year. Basketball is much more about consistency that baseball, where guys are studs one month and horrid the next.

Can you imagine if Baron average 50 points a game in December and 8 in January? That happens a lot in baseball. I'd never really thought about it until you called Winn out on it.

Basketball is your first love and your favorite, isn't it? Baseball was my first, and to me Winn gets his .300 BA even if he had to hit out of his mind the last season to do so. That's just the game.

EDIT: Actually man, you're off. I just looked up Winn's splits and he hit .272 in April, .327 in May, .250 in June, .353 in July, .294 in August and .310 in September. You sure you're not thinking of someone else?
Last edited by No Longer StuckInSoCal on Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
StuckInSoCal
(GSW for life)
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:01 am
I dunno... guys like Ginobli are examples of that in basketball. 8 one night, 30 the next... and, somehow, people claim they are 18 PPG players. Look at Troy Murphy. 20 rebounds one night, 4 the next. Is he a legit 10 RPG player?

Likewise, in baseball, there are players with far more consistency. Bengie Molina hit consistenly all year, as opposed to Winn, who turned it one when the Giants were in the toilet.

All Star
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:44 am
Not that I expected the Giants to get him, but there goes Tejada.

Baltimore Orioles shortstop Miguel Tejada finally got his wish for a change of scenery, as he was traded to the Houston Astros on Wednesday.

In return for the four-time All-Star, the Orioles will get outfielder Luke Scott, pitchers Matt Albers, Troy Patton and Dennis Sarfate, and third baseman Michael Costanzo.

The blockbuster trade was first reported by The Baltimore Sun.
StuckInSoCal
(GSW for life)
PreviousNext

Return to Sports Board