5. Nah, he will never get one. Too shiit, just miss out, whatever
No votes

Total votes : 9

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 28
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 11:42 pm
JayPat wrote:
migya wrote:
32 wrote:I think KG's getting it this year. Especially if Boston is a top 3 seed. From a basement lottery team to a Top 3 seed? Thats better than what Steve Nash did for Phoenix... and he rode that to 2 MVPs.

No comparison. Suns were out of the playoffs the season before but were frequently in the playoffs before that offseason. KG went to a team that has acquired another semi superstar in Ray Allen and already had a superstar in Paul Pierce. The Celts were always going to do good with that sort of recruitment. The Suns had great talent and Nash was the brain needed. Not taking anything away from Nash and I understand how some people would compare the two situations but the Celts have added a semi superstar and KG, one of the best players ever and both were perfect fits

And the Suns don't have semi-superstars in Amare and Marion? I agree with 32, I think KG will win barring some exponential drop in the Celtics success.

Marion is a great ROLE player and Amare is definately a semi superstar himself, if not a superstar but, as I said, that suns team only missed the playoffs the season Nash arrived, they were making the playoffs with Marbury and before him, Kidd. You can't differentiate between KG, Allen and Pierce that easily, especially KG and Pierce, who are doing better than RAllen. I do see KG as a great catalyst for the Celts but Ray Allen is also, though not as much and again, all three are superstars, Allen sort of, and they all create so that team was bound to succeed with those three healthy and a couple of good role players around them. Nash was the absolute catalyst, the brain of the Phoenix Suns team and without him they were talented but slightly above middle of the pack

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 53
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 2:59 am
When Steve Nash arrived in Phoenix, they featured Amare Stoudamire, Shawn Marion, Joe Johnson, and Quentin Richardson. Aside from Q-Rich, I'd label everyone above as "stars".

Boston has their big 3... and then nothing. Garnett is carrying that team far more than Nash carried Phoenix.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:22 am
32 wrote:When Steve Nash arrived in Phoenix, they featured Amare Stoudamire, Shawn Marion, Joe Johnson, and Quentin Richardson. Aside from Q-Rich, I'd label everyone above as "stars".

Boston has their big 3... and then nothing. Garnett is carrying that team far more than Nash carried Phoenix.

Yeah, but those big 3 are better than anybody else on the league. I've read comparisons between them and the Suns or Spurs... and I'd still take the Celtics big 3 above the best 3 guys of those other teams. There's a slight drop in talent in the remaining players, but not that much.

In any case, the East seems to finally have a legit contender. Since Detroit won their title (and made next year's finals), nobody was even close.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 4:15 am
32 wrote:When Steve Nash arrived in Phoenix, they featured Amare Stoudamire, Shawn Marion, Joe Johnson, and Quentin Richardson. Aside from Q-Rich, I'd label everyone above as "stars".

Yet those "stars" in Phoenix couldn't even make the playoffs the year before. That team only missed the playoffs the year before Nash arrived but they got so much better once he arrived and immediately became the best in the nba, better than they ever were for that franchise actually.

Put the Celts in the West, well we wouldn't be talking about them much right now. KG has alot to do with the rise of Boston but he has two other guys that almost have as much to do with it than him. Nash was clearly the reason why the Suns got great

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 11:05 am
#1, the Suns BARELY missed the playoffs, whereas the Celtics had one of the worst records in the league.

#2, the Suns became a 2nd round team. The Celtics are now title contenders.

#3, there is a HUGE drop after Boston's big three. Of course ANYBODY would take that 3 over any other team's, but you need to take into consideration that they have ZERO depth, save for James Posey. Everyone else is trash. The Spurs and Suns have 1000 times more depth than the Celtics.
All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 12:18 pm

Joe Johnson was not a star at the time. In fact a lot of people (myself included) thought he was a fool for leaving the Suns as not having Nash to feed him wide open looks would expose him as the decent but not more player that we thought he was. This exact thing happened to QRich ofcourse but not JJ.
All Star
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 12:19 pm
cladden wrote:

Joe Johnson was not a star at the time. In fact a lot of people (myself included) thought he was a fool for leaving the Suns as not having Nash to feed him wide open looks would expose him as the decent but not more player that we thought he was. This exact thing happened to QRich ofcourse but not JJ.

I guess I'm arguing against myself here. :-) I still don't think he quite was a star that year.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:24 pm
I dunno, dude... 17 PPG, 5 RPG, and 3.5 APG is above-average in a lineup featuring the likes of Nash, Marion, and Stoudamire. Johnson was a bonafide stud in Phoenix.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 9:38 pm
cladden wrote:

You made a great point and that is soley attributed to Nash. He was the ingredient that made it all work and still does

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 9:41 pm
32 wrote:#1, the Suns BARELY missed the playoffs, whereas the Celtics had one of the worst records in the league.

#2, the Suns became a 2nd round team. The Celtics are now title contenders.

#3, there is a HUGE drop after Boston's big three. Of course ANYBODY would take that 3 over any other team's, but you need to take into consideration that they have ZERO depth, save for James Posey. Everyone else is trash. The Spurs and Suns have 1000 times more depth than the Celtics.

The Suns won more games the first season with Nash in franchise history, there shows his value.

I just see that having RAllen and Pierce next to him doesn't make KG as much of a big deal, in the sense that he doesn't carry them by himslef. As far as the Celts' depth, they have a few guys playing well, (like House, Posey, Rondo and Perkins) and have decent players around the big three. The Celts are not that bad allround as they have enough pieces at every position

All Star
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 10:03 pm
Yeah. We'll see how they recover if one of the big three gets hurt. Right now, they're just not very deep.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 10:12 pm
JayPat wrote:Yeah. We'll see how they recover if one of the big three gets hurt. Right now, they're just not very deep.

Don't get me wrong, Garnett is great and the best of the big three but I don't think he'll get MVP this season UNLESS the Celts win over 60, they are #1 in the East and he clearly is above the other two of the big three

All Star
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 10:36 pm
if W's make it to final NBA then Baron is the MVP... :wink:
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:38 am
migya wrote:
JayPat wrote:Yeah. We'll see how they recover if one of the big three gets hurt. Right now, they're just not very deep.

Don't get me wrong, Garnett is great and the best of the big three but I don't think he'll get MVP this season UNLESS the Celts win over 60, they are #1 in the East and he clearly is above the other two of the big three

That's my point. I'm certain they'll win over 60, if the Big 3 stays healthy.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:11 pm
32 wrote:
migya wrote:

That's my point. I'm certain they'll win over 60, if the Big 3 stays healthy.

I'm not so sure, they look great right now but they can only go down and they will. I think they will still win some 50 games but they are no certainty and if one of the big three does get injured, they will lose alot in those games likely

PreviousNext

Return to Sports Board