Your Power Rankings

Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 2:03 am
Thought this would be interesting for people to make power rankings every so often based on current trends.

1. Phoenix Suns - On an eight game winning streak, it's apparent that, like the past three years, they're the best team in the NBA, just have to hope a series of unfortunate events doesn't befall them yet again.
2. San Antonio Spurs - Champs with the second best record in the league, not much more to say.
3. Boston Celtic - Easy pick to win the East, but they seem to have lost steam. Hasn't translated in their w-l record but two of their last 5 games they've won by only one point and another one they lost.
4. Orlando Magic - They're dominating right now and seem to be in a similar mold to the Celtics, just slightly worse. D-ho being KG-lite, Turkoglu being Pierce-lite and Lewis being Allen-lite. The road record is encouraging
5. Dallas - Lost a couple in a row but it'll take more than 15 games of non-elite play for the panic to set in.
6. Utah
7. Milwaukee - Won five in a row, can't lose at home, who'd a thunk it?
8. Denver - This team is finally starting to realize some of its immense potential.
9. Detroit - They've still got game left, but not enough to make a finals run.
10. Cleveland - Lebron James is averaging 39-10-9 over his last 5 games. He's downright scary right now.
11. New Orleans - Most would have them much higher but they've lost against every strong team they've played and have lost 3/4 games. They also can't muster the type of home crowd you'd need for a playoff run.
12. Houston - Tonight's win may be a sign that the team that started out 6-1 is back after a 6 game hiatus, with great play tonight from their stars.
ImageImage
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 4:37 am
Beat me to it, Pest. I was thinking about starting a thread like this by next month...

Ok. My rankings:

1.-Boston.- They're playing well, have 3 of the best players of the league and have only lost 1 game. On the other side, they're having more trouble beating their rivals lately. Yesterday, they were one 3pt shot by Allen away from losing to the Bobcats.

2.- San Antonio.- Another team that's playing well (in their style, but well). Looks like the team to beat in the West.

3.- Phoenix Suns.- The Suns are the only alternative to the Spurs in the West. They've won 8 straight and seem on the way up. Wouldn't be surprised if they led the power rankings by next week (or by the next time we do them...)

4.- Orlando Magic.- Dwight Howard is leading a team that looks like a serious contender in the East. Ah, what a difference the Foyle signing made... :mrgreen:

5.- Dallas Mavericks.- Still a good team, just not as good as last year. Howard has become his best player, while Dirk is having a somewhat poor season (for what's expected from the current league MVP). Were able to win against San Antonio, but yesterday lost against Milwaukee. Not exactly reliable.

6.- Houston Rockets.- Houston needs both stars (Yao and T-Mac) to stay healthy. They have everything else in place (even Steve Francis is starting to play), but they can't win consistently if T-Mac or Yao are out. Scola is proving that he deserves more minutes.

7.- Utah Jazz.- Brewer has been a good story, while Okur is going the other way, with a pretty poor start of the season. Deron was also expected to do a bit better. And their D doesn't look as solid as last year.

8.- Denver Nuggets.- A team that's still discovering itself. As Pest says, lots of potential here. The problem is that they're stockpiling injuries (Nene, Atkins, Hunter, K-Mart ain't 100% yet...) and they still have pretty poor games from time to time. I still expect them to improve during the seaosn.

9.- New Orleans Hornets.- They'll go as far as CP leads them. They have lots of talented guys, but CP is the one that sets the tone.

10.- Detroit Pistons.- Chauncey Billups is playing great, and the rest of the Pistons players look like they're playing as well as ever. Still, they've lost some weird games (like the one at Sacramento) and finished their road trip with a negetive record.

11.- Milwaukee Bucks.- They're playing extremely well at home, not so much on the road. Still, pesky defense, an improved Bogut, the same contributions by Mo Williams and Redd and Yi playing better than I expected makes them one of the surprises of the season.

12.- Cleveland Cavaliers.- Lebron is good enough to have them this high (playing as the MVP right now). The rest of the team is not. And they're still waiting on Varejao.

13.- Golden State Warriors.- Back to were be belong after an awful start of the season. Without S-Jax we'd be 10 spots below. With him, we're right in the playoffs fight.

14.- Toronto Raptors.- Bosh is starting to play better (as expected) and moving Bargnani to center seems to have helped. Their D looks better than last year, too, and Jamario Moon is certainly one of the surprises of the year. Calderon is also one of the most effective PGs of the league. On the other side, Nesterovic and Garbajosa are both out, and Jorge's absence seems like a long one.

15.- LA Lakers.- Playing as well as they can play with that roster. Lots of injuries to their big guys, tho.

16.- New Jersey Nets.- Kidd is still kidd, Richard Jefferson is playing at All Star level and Sean Williams is showing signs of being a contributor. Sadly, Carter is not the Carter they expected. Seems like Jefferson and him cannot play well at the same time.

17.- Indiana Pacers.- Interesting team. They're playing better than expected (even Dunleavy is contributing) and J. O'Neal still ain't ready to help. A lot more entertaining than in previous years. Oh, and Shawne Williams is playing well coming from the bench.

18.- LA Clippers.- They were expected to be near the bottom of the league with Brand out, and seems like they're in the playoff hunt. BIG season by Kaman and some of their role players (Tim Thomas, Patterson...) stepping up are the reason. And Maggete still has to come back...

19.- Charlotte Bobcats.- Best start in franchise history. Of course, that doesn't say much, considering how bad they were til now... Injuries are a big problem (G. Wallace out for a while, May and Morrison missing the season...) and they still don't play enough D. Other than that, there's enough talent in their roster to make the playoffs.

20.- Sacramento Kings.- Salmons started strong the season, but he's back to his numbers with Artest back. Udrih has also replaced Bibby pretty well. Still, that only means they're better than expected, but still going nowhere.

21.- Atlanta Hawks.- Seems like the kids are starting to pan out. Marvin is playing better this year, Horford is doing what was expected, Law also had a few good games... it's still too early, but they're showing signs of being a future good team.

22.- Washington Wizards.- Much better than this rating, but Arenas being out is enough to bury them here. Good news is that Blatche is improving game by game, and also is Nick Young. Bad news, no Arenas, no D... 3 difficult months await the Wizards.

23.- Portland Trail Blazers.- Have won against some good teams, but they're just too young. That shows on the road, where they seem unable to win.

24.- Miami Heat.- Starting to play better since Wade came back. Still, that's not enough to get them out of their funk. They need to start winning, and soon...

25.- Chicago Bulls.- The biggest disappointment in the league. Too many losses, Hinrich ain't playing well, Wallace is starting to play better now, but was lost during the first games of the season, Deng is out... and everybody expects Kobe to save their season. Which doesn't look likely at this point.

26.- Memphis Grizzlies.- They're starting to realize what Navarro can do. And to think they only signed him to a one-year deal...

27.- Philadelphia 76ers.- As bad as expected. Iguodala is proving he's gonna be an all star and Louis Williams is playing surprisingly well from the bench. Still, there need more talent to win consistently. Playing hard ain't enough for the NBA.

28.- NY Knicks.- The most dysfunctional team. They need to get rid of Marbury and Isiah and start building for the future. That team won't go anywhere til then.

29.- Seattle Supersonics.- Exactly what was expected. A bad team full of young guys that are learning how to play, together and in the NBA.

30.- Minnesota Timberwolves.- I still don't know how McHale keeps his job...
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 4:50 am
Nice thread Pest, keep them coming. I'm actually thinking of bringing back the redistro thread you made and doing for this season, though it is a bit late, it would be entertaining.

I'll split my Power Rankings into East and West and include only the best eight teams in my opinion, as only eight teams make it to the playoffs in each conference:

WEST

1. Phoenix Suns - This team looks like the real deal but as has been the case the last three years, they have to do it in the playoffs and go all the way finally. They have the best record and Amare has seemed on and off, having some huge games followed by two effective but average stat games. Bell has been injured as well and this has allowed Barbosa to emerge and show that he is one of the best young talents in the nba.
2. San Antonio Spurs - Champions again doing what they do, methodically beating their opponents, grinding things out. Ginobili having a career season and in under half an hour a game as always. Be good to see a matchup against Phoenix to see which is top dog right now.
3. Dallas Mavericks - They are still a tough team and just look like going on winning streaks again. They keep rolling and now have Devin Harris lighting up and playing better than he ever has. It is to note that Dampier is still not healthy but has been sensational in the few minutes he has played.
4. Utah Jazz - This team has lost some games that they shouldn't have really and should be one of the top three teams right now. AK47 has been great and has given another playmaker and passer as well as keeping up his elite defense. Interesting that it seems like he and Okur can't coexist, as Okur has dropped significantly from last season while AK has increased. Ronnie Brewer has given them another weapon and they look potent.
5. Houston Rockets - Strange that they lost six straight before winning last night. They have the talent and the right pieces to be championship caliber but just an unknown after that losing streak. TMac is healthy, as is Yao, so this team will always win more than they lose. I want to see Francis a bit more as he has done alright when he has played. Scola surely has to be their starting PF and play alot, he has been very good at times. I count higher than they are on the standings.
6. Denver Nuggets - This team looks to be on the verge of something special, becoming a real elite team but things don't seem quite there yet and may still take a while to figure out. IF and IF KMart emerges, playing like he did last game consistently, this team is elite but without him, they seem another big short and Nene is injured again. Fully healthy (seems an impossibility) this team is definately talented enough to be a top 4 West team.
7. New Orleans Hornets - This team looked like they had gone up to the next level and though Paul was injured for two or three games there, and Chandler for a couple as well, they did look weak somewhat. They are now fully healthy it seems so it will be seen how for real they actually are.
8. LA Lakers - They have not been that great but they have been better than what I thought they would be and strung together some wins. Odom is now back and they should only get better. Bynum looks like he has arrived and seems to be a real star Center in the making, though I thought he may well be a bust of sorts. They are healthy and seem to have all areas covered and I reckon they could well rise and be a top 5 team. Be interesting to see them against the top West teams to really see how good they are.

EAST

1. Boston Celtics - They have started super strong and look every bit as powerful as most thought they would be. I don't think they can keep it up with three superstars and role players, some not so good role players, but they have been and should be given total credit. Be interesting tosee them come out West on a road trip against three or four of the tope West teams to really see how good they are.
2. Orlando Magic - This team has risen like I expected, more even. They have the talent and just needed to improve alittle bit and players play their roles properly. Jameer is a pretty good PG, distibuting enough and scoring pretty well, Turkoglu has gone to the next level so far, scoring real well and being pretty allround, Rashard has been himself and hit those shots and scored very well, role players like Bogans (Bilbo or Frodo? :mrgreen: ), Arroyo and Dooling doing their thing and Dwight becoming an elite player like I expected this season as he had flashes of being a monster late last season. This team is a real contender in the East but might be one or two players short, as well as as inexperienced.
3. Detroit Pistons - Probably forgotten by many as they are relatively unchanged but they remain the only proven bunch of the lot. They steadily continue to win and don't look like decreasing but increasing if anything. Be good to see them at full health, as some of the young guys have been injured. The bench has to prove that they are worthy or this team won't go all the way.
4. Cleveland Cavaliers - Look to be on the verge of a serious winning streak. They are using Big Z alot more and he is showing that he is still a talented player and might make allstar again. They still lack a good two players to be a real threat but Lebron is again the best player in the nba and is looking like a monster lately, the likes the nba hasn't seen in a long time. Also be interesting to see how they do on a West trip.
5. Toronto Raptors - I rank them higher than the Bucks because I believe they are more of a real deal to keep winning. Bosh started very average but has had two huge games this week. They have a great PG duo and shooters everywhere it seems.
6. Milwaukee Bucks - They are doing well but I just don't believe they are a real good team until they do it for at lest two months. They have had the talent for at least two seasons now but never came close to putting it together. Now Bogut is a beast and they have a fair amount of depth and are playing like winners.
7. New Jersey Nets - They started strong and then fell on their face, showing how lack of talent they are outside their big three. Carter is back now so they should start winning a bit. RJefferson has been sensational, not like I thought he would be, and he looks like allstar material. Sean Williana has saved them inside somewhat the last two weeks because Magloire seems under used and Krstic is playing like absolute crap, he is my pick for biggest disappointment so far in the nba this season.
8. Charlotte Bobcats - I pick them 8th because I can sense them rising. GWallace is hurt a bit but they have the pieces to be a contender, though they likely won't be this season. JRich is getting better.

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 5:15 am
migya wrote: I'm actually thinking of bringing back the redistro thread you made and doing for this season, though it is a bit late, it would be entertaining.

I don't know about that. The league hasn't changed much. It'd be interesting, but I've got the feeling the results would be pretty similar to last year's...
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 6:16 am
TMC wrote:
migya wrote: I'm actually thinking of bringing back the redistro thread you made and doing for this season, though it is a bit late, it would be entertaining.

I don't know about that. The league hasn't changed much. It'd be interesting, but I've got the feeling the results would be pretty similar to last year's...

You kidding? The likes of Deron are much better and there are new guys. like Roy and Durant to factor in. It's always a fun and interesting thing to see how people hold higher among players

All Star
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 4:22 pm
I'd be up for it, but maybe next year once Beasley, Oden, and OJ Mayo are in the mix.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:08 am
JayPat wrote:I'd be up for it, but maybe next year once Beasley, Oden, and OJ Mayo are in the mix.

Yeah, only one year since the last one, and very few changes. Of course some players have improved and would go higher, while others would go the other way... but the league is pretty much the same it was last year.

I'm ok with doing it next year, although if more people wants to join, I'm also ok with a new try this year.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:16 am
Just a nice interactive thread. We could add up the total for each stat category, like in fantasy league and see whose team does the best

All Star
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 3:36 pm
New Rankings:

1) Boston - Close between them and the Spurs but their 14 ppg win margin is unreal and they've got the best record. They may have fired Isiah Thomas by beating the Knicks so bad.
2) Spurs - They rarely play this well early in the regular season, it's scary to think of what they'll do later on
3) Phoenix - Edges out Orlando because they beat them yesterday, but has lost some momentum after that two game losing streak.
4) Orlando - Was the hottest team in the league before losing to Phoenix in Phoenix, which is not exactly something to be ashamed of. Fun fact, last time a player averaged 20-15-2 on 50% shooting was Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, and it's only been done twice. Dwight's stats? 24-15-3 on 62% shooting.
5) Utah - On a roll, murdered the lakers by 20 points without their two allstars, that's scary good.
6) Golden State - Has the best win streak in the league and best win record in their last 10 games in the league. 7-1 with Jackson.
7) Dallas - Starting to pick up steam again. Won't win 65 games this year, but they're still playing well.
8) Detroit - They've got the eighth best record in the league but are looking so-so thus far.
9) New Orleans - Seem to be getting it back after a minor set back
10) Toronto - Three in a row has put them right back on track for a strong year after a not-so-good beginning to the season.
ImageImage
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:25 am
tHe_pEsTiLeNcE wrote:New Rankings:

1) Boston - Close between them and the Spurs but their 14 ppg win margin is unreal and they've got the best record. They may have fired Isiah Thomas by beating the Knicks so bad.
2) Spurs - They rarely play this well early in the regular season, it's scary to think of what they'll do later on
3) Phoenix - Edges out Orlando because they beat them yesterday, but has lost some momentum after that two game losing streak.
4) Orlando - Was the hottest team in the league before losing to Phoenix in Phoenix, which is not exactly something to be ashamed of. Fun fact, last time a player averaged 20-15-2 on 50% shooting was Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, and it's only been done twice. Dwight's stats? 24-15-3 on 62% shooting.
5) Utah - On a roll, murdered the lakers by 20 points without their two allstars, that's scary good.
6) Golden State - Has the best win streak in the league and best win record in their last 10 games in the league. 7-1 with Jackson.
7) Dallas - Starting to pick up steam again. Won't win 65 games this year, but they're still playing well.
8) Detroit - They've got the eighth best record in the league but are looking so-so thus far.
9) New Orleans - Seem to be getting it back after a minor set back
10) Toronto - Three in a row has put them right back on track for a strong year after a not-so-good beginning to the season.

I'd put Denver up there in the top 10. Probably instead of Toronto (who, btw, is playing better since TJ Ford missed time due to injuries. Calderon is leading the league in assists, with 11 per game, during all the games he's started in place of Ford).

Other than that, I agree with yours, Pest.

I'll update mine each two weeks. I'd rather make the full league power rankings, but it takes too much time to do the 30 teams each week.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 4:08 am
Calderon's not doing much more than when he was backing up Ford. His assists are up but he doesn't score much or do much else, he is decent in other areas

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 4:13 am
migya wrote:Calderon's not doing much more than when he was backing up Ford. His assists are up but he doesn't score much or do much else, he is decent in other areas

With Ford out, he's leading the NBA in assists (11.2), while scoring 13.5 ppg with just 1.7 turnovers, and playing pretty decent D... What else do you want him to do?.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 4:26 am
TMC wrote:
migya wrote:Calderon's not doing much more than when he was backing up Ford. His assists are up but he doesn't score much or do much else, he is decent in other areas

With Ford out, he's leading the NBA in assists (11.2), while scoring 13.5 ppg with just 1.7 turnovers, and playing pretty decent D... What else do you want him to do?.

With what he did in the twenty or so minutes he got backing up Ford, it looked like he could be a 20 and 10 player in 35 minutes. He is more than decent, a very good PG actually but Toronto has found out that he is no star, at least not yet and that they have it good with two very good PGs

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 5:01 am
migya wrote:With what he did in the twenty or so minutes he got backing up Ford, it looked like he could be a 20 and 10 player in 35 minutes. He is more than decent, a very good PG actually but Toronto has found out that he is no star, at least not yet and that they have it good with two very good PGs

He's never scored 20 ppg in his life. And he only takes clear shots he can make. If anybody believed he was going to be a 20 ppg scorer, they were deluding themselves.

He's doing what was expected. Even better, actually. His assist-to-turnover ratio is crazy.
Last edited by TMC on Sun Dec 02, 2007 5:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 5:05 am
TMC wrote:
migya wrote:With what he did in the twenty or so minutes he got backing up Ford, it looked like he could be a 20 and 10 player in 35 minutes. He is more than decent, a very good PG actually but Toronto has found out that he is no star, at least not yet and that they have it good with two very good PGs

He's never scored 20 ppg in his life. And he only takes clear shots he can make. If anybody believed he was going to be a 20 ppg scorer, they were deluding themselves.

He's doing what was expected. Even better, actually. His assist-to-turnover ratio is crazy.

He was averaging about 8pts in about 22mins so I thought he would score more than he is. He is getting about the same amount of minutes a game as Ford but is doing less across the board pretty much. He is better as a backup as Ford produces alot more and Calderon does just a little less than he's been doing

Next

Return to Sports Board