Smith out for season?

Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:53 am
Check it out.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3135231

Hey, here's an idea. Why don't we sign a vet QB in the off-season who can actually play (Jeff Garcia, maybe?) and let Alex Smith develop before we put the entire success of the team's season on his shoulders?

We have a developing defense, a decent offensive line and some solid skill players. Do we need Smith right now to win? Aaron Rodgers was solid last night, completing 20 of 28 with 218 yards, a touchdown and no interceptions. I wonder how much he's improved by not starting and working instead with the play book and practicing with the team?

So many young NFL QBs flame out before ever reaching their potential... is that because they suck, or because the NFL isn't teaching them like they used to?
StuckInSoCal
(GSW for life)
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:55 am
Sports section...

TMC?
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:06 pm
Moved to the Sports forum...

Two things:

1.- Jeff Garcia is under contract for next season. He signed a two year deal with the Bucs, and if you take a quick look at our depth chart after him, you'll see why he's going nowhere.

2.- As for Alex and a vet... that's why you traded for Dilfer, right?. Dilfer was supposed to play that savvy vet role. I doubt the Niners will try to go that route again.

I wouldn't be surprised to see them draft a QB in the third round or so, just not before. They'll surely wait another season to think about replacing Alex.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:54 pm
I hope not, dude. But I know its true. SF is gonna give Alex (and Nolan, for that matter) one more season to prove he's for real. After 4 years in the league, Alex Smith is either something or he's nothing.

All Star
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:42 pm
I don't know how that landed in the Warriors section. Whoops.

Dilfer was meant as a guy who could mentor Smith, not as a legit starter... right? That's what I'm suggesting. Maybe it's time to sign a guy to be our #1 for a year or two and let Smith watch and learn from a vet?

Dilfer, btw, is horrible. He's fine at holding a clipboard, but that's about it. I'm shocked they beat the Cardinals last week.
StuckInSoCal
(GSW for life)
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:20 pm
StuckInSoCal wrote:Dilfer was meant as a guy who could mentor Smith, not as a legit starter... right? That's what I'm suggesting. Maybe it's time to sign a guy to be our #1 for a year or two and let Smith watch and learn from a vet?

A vet to start?. After all the money the Niners have commited to Alex?. Oh, man... I really, really doubt they'd even consider that idea.

I'm not saying it'd be a bad idea (it would depend on who's that QB), but I think they will want to go into next season with Alex as the clear starter.

Think of it as the David Carr situation in Houston. He was their starter til they couldn't find a reason to keep playing him and then got cut. That's the route I think the Niners will follow with Alex (not the cutting thing. I mean that they'll be patient with him... at least one more year).

All Star
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:02 pm
TMC wrote:
StuckInSoCal wrote:Dilfer was meant as a guy who could mentor Smith, not as a legit starter... right? That's what I'm suggesting. Maybe it's time to sign a guy to be our #1 for a year or two and let Smith watch and learn from a vet?

A vet to start?. After all the money the Niners have commited to Alex?. Oh, man... I really, really doubt they'd even consider that idea.

I'm not saying it'd be a bad idea (it would depend on who's that QB), but I think they will want to go into next season with Alex as the clear starter.

Think of it as the David Carr situation in Houston. He was their starter til they couldn't find a reason to keep playing him and then got cut. That's the route I think the Niners will follow with Alex (not the cutting thing. I mean that they'll be patient with him... at least one more year).

That's exactly what I'm thinking about: the David Carr situation. How long will we stunt the rebuilding process for this quarterback when we may be killing his development by forcing him to play long before he's ready? I'm not against Alex at all, but he really hasn't looked good at all this year and we've been very, very fortunate to win three games.

And man, we go right back to our rookie salary structure conversation. Why in God's name do we have to pay a kid star money when he's NOT ready to play when the only model for paying them that much is based on how much we paid the rookies LAST YEAR?

And what's even worse is that this whole situation keeps the teams with solid QBs from wasting money on young QBs in the draft, instead drafting guys who can play in year one and two and be effective. See: Willis. Next season the Patriots are going to take our pick and grab a defensive stud or an o-lineman and continue right along the path of kick-ass.
StuckInSoCal
(GSW for life)
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:41 pm
My prediction for the Niners this offseason: they will sign a veteran QB that can compete for the starting job, and get rid of Dilfer. They will also draft a QB in the first three rounds that could possibly be a guy for the future.

I had a thing put in Turn2 in the Argus blasting Mike Nolan. :mrgreen:
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -7
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:19 pm
This is PRECISELY why if I were a GM, I would NEVER draft a QB #1 overall. If you miss, you set your franchise back at least 5 years. Yes, you may miss out on a Peyton every 10 years or so but just look at how many of the good QB's out there were not even drafted in the 1st round. Too many busts #1 and the stakes are just TOO high.

If you miss at another position, you can get a relatively inexpensive replacement but any starting caliber QB is going to cost you some serious scratch and you just cant have that kind of money tied up in one position without being a detriment to another area of your team.
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:03 pm
32 wrote:I hope not, dude. But I know its true. SF is gonna give Alex (and Nolan, for that matter) one more season to prove he's for real. After 4 years in the league, Alex Smith is either something or he's nothing.

Nolan needs to get the hook just for calling that field goal down by 7 with 2 minutes to go. You can't do that
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:10 pm
Less than two minutes. About a minute and a half. :|
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 3:09 am
badabing8888 wrote:This is PRECISELY why if I were a GM, I would NEVER draft a QB #1 overall. If you miss, you set your franchise back at least 5 years. Yes, you may miss out on a Peyton every 10 years or so but just look at how many of the good QB's out there were not even drafted in the 1st round. Too many busts #1 and the stakes are just TOO high.

If you miss at another position, you can get a relatively inexpensive replacement but any starting caliber QB is going to cost you some serious scratch and you just cant have that kind of money tied up in one position without being a detriment to another area of your team.

Yeah... even more, if I had the #1 pick, I'd try to trade down by any means necessary. Unless there's a once-in-a-lifetime talent to take at #1, it's just not worth it. The amount of money those first picks get paid, you cannot risk taking a bust. As you say, failing sets back the team 5 years. And I'm not talking only about QBs, although it's more noticeable when it happens with a QB.

All Star
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:52 am
Alex Smith should be afraid. Very, very afraid. Shaun Hill showed on Saturday what an average, yet competent, quarterback can do at the helm of the 49ers. He wasn't Peyton Manning, but he completed passes, kept the ball moving, led the offense to 20 points, and let the defense hold the Bengals.

Nolan is a DEFENSIVE coach. That's how this team will be built. With the right guy throwing the football, this team can beat other middle tier and lower tier teams and make the playoffs during the rebuilding process.

Bravo to Hill!
StuckInSoCal
(GSW for life)
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:18 am
Shaun Hill gave starving Niners fans a glimpse of what its like to have a damn near decent QB. He was hitting WRs in their route; leading them with passes, making it easier for them so they can catch it in STRIDE. Thats something Alex Smith doesn't do. Jackson and Battle aren't pro bowl material, but they can both be decent wide outs on any given day. Hopefully, the emergence of Hill will open up the running game for Gore and Niners explode in the final games of the season. If for nothing but entertainment purposes.

All Star
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:43 am
32 wrote:Shaun Hill gave starving Niners fans a glimpse of what its like to have a damn near decent QB. He was hitting WRs in their route; leading them with passes, making it easier for them so they can catch it in STRIDE. Thats something Alex Smith doesn't do. Jackson and Battle aren't pro bowl material, but they can both be decent wide outs on any given day. Hopefully, the emergence of Hill will open up the running game for Gore and Niners explode in the final games of the season. If for nothing but entertainment purposes.

Indeed.

All of this conflict between Nolan and Smith should end in Smith being released, in my opinion. Or else just bench him and see if he develops in the next few years while another QB is running the offense.

People knock Nolan's play calling, and sure, he's made mistakes and is a rookie head coach, but he's got the defense rebuilt and ready to go and his offense has tools that can score and will improve.

I've officially jumped off the Alex Smith bandwagon.
StuckInSoCal
(GSW for life)
Next

Return to Sports Board