Oden Gaining Substantial Muscle

Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 18461
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:48 am
Location: Somewhere in this site...
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:37 am
migya wrote:
TMC wrote:I'm sure Detroit would do it... They're not contenders anymore, and I doubt they consider themselves as such. Things changed a lot since Larry Brown left.



Like they won more games than ever before the first season after he left :wink:


They haven't been close to a title since Larry left. That's all that matters.

Or do you think people remembers the Sonics for the season they ended with the best record just to fall to Denver in the first round? (They do, but as a mockery...)

The only record that counts is the one you have in the playoffs.
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 21447
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:50 am
Location: Perth
Poster Credit: 28
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:49 am
TMC wrote:
migya wrote:
TMC wrote:I'm sure Detroit would do it... They're not contenders anymore, and I doubt they consider themselves as such. Things changed a lot since Larry Brown left.



Like they won more games than ever before the first season after he left :wink:


They haven't been close to a title since Larry left. That's all that matters.

Or do you think people remembers the Sonics for the season they ended with the best record just to fall to Denver in the first round? (They do, but as a mockery...)

The only record that counts is the one you have in the playoffs.



That Pistons never won a championship before Larry Brown either but doesn't mean they weren't a contender. That team remains a contender and doesn't look like falling any time soon. I thought they would this season but they are still winning
Image



Image


migya make the ring fall on ya
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 18461
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:48 am
Location: Somewhere in this site...
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:01 am
migya wrote:That Pistons never won a championship before Larry Brown either but doesn't mean they weren't a contender. That team remains a contender and doesn't look like falling any time soon. I thought they would this season but they are still winning


Before Larry they barely were a playoff team. Stackhouse was his best player, for god's sake.

Larry and Dumars built a champion, and that team is still the reason they're winning. They even play in a similar way. Flip has done nothing to change that team.

I'm pretty sure that, if you make a poll between the players, most of their starters (if not all of them) would want to have Larry back.
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 21447
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:50 am
Location: Perth
Poster Credit: 28
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:22 am
TMC wrote:
migya wrote:That Pistons never won a championship before Larry Brown either but doesn't mean they weren't a contender. That team remains a contender and doesn't look like falling any time soon. I thought they would this season but they are still winning


Before Larry they barely were a playoff team. Stackhouse was his best player, for god's sake.

Larry and Dumars built a champion, and that team is still the reason they're winning. They even play in a similar way. Flip has done nothing to change that team.

I'm pretty sure that, if you make a poll between the players, most of their starters (if not all of them) would want to have Larry back.



The Pistons were on the verge of making the finals three years in a row before Brown arrived. The were beaten by the Celtics one year in the East finals and the Nets the following year in the East finals. They were always going to be the best in the East for a while and they have been at or near the top for over six years now
Image



Image


migya make the ring fall on ya
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 18461
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:48 am
Location: Somewhere in this site...
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:41 am
migya wrote:The Pistons were on the verge of making the finals three years in a row before Brown arrived. The were beaten by the Celtics one year in the East finals and the Nets the following year in the East finals. They were always going to be the best in the East for a while and they have been at or near the top for over six years now


Flip Saunders = Rick Carlisle = Sh*tty coaches.

The Pistons never did anything til Larry joined them. And haven't done anything since he left.
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 13539
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:03 pm
Location: Golden State
Poster Credit: 53
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:21 am
The only reason the Pistons are still contenders is because Larry & Joe built a beast to begin with... and the East is wide open. In fact, I'd call every one of the following teams "contenders" in the East:

Boston
Orlando
Detroit
Cleveland
New Jersey
Toronto

Hell, if they get on a roll, Miami would still be proclaimed a title contender in the East. Detroit "still being a contender" means nothing to me when the first 6 or 7 seeded teams can also say the same thing.
Image
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Image
Image

All Star
Posts: 1910
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:43 am
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:49 am
32 wrote:The only reason the Pistons are still contenders is because Larry & Joe built a beast to begin with... and the East is wide open. In fact, I'd call every one of the following teams "contenders" in the East:

Boston
Orlando
Detroit
Cleveland
New Jersey
Toronto

Hell, if they get on a roll, Miami would still be proclaimed a title contender in the East. Detroit "still being a contender" means nothing to me when the first 6 or 7 seeded teams can also say the same thing.


If Shaq played every game like he did last week against the Rockets, the Heat would be the team to beat in the East. Watching him attack Yao and pretty much dominate brought me back to the Lakers championship teams. That guy WAS a monster. I'm glad he's faded, LOL.
StuckInSoCal
(GSW for life)
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 18461
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:48 am
Location: Somewhere in this site...
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:46 am
32 wrote:The only reason the Pistons are still contenders is because Larry & Joe built a beast to begin with... and the East is wide open. In fact, I'd call every one of the following teams "contenders" in the East:

Boston
Orlando
Detroit
Cleveland
New Jersey
Toronto

Hell, if they get on a roll, Miami would still be proclaimed a title contender in the East. Detroit "still being a contender" means nothing to me when the first 6 or 7 seeded teams can also say the same thing.


That's being optimistic. In that case, even the Bulls can claim to still be a contender in the east.

But true contenders?. Boston and Orlando. And the Cleveland Lebrons if he averages 35/15/10 for the playoffs. That's all.
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 13539
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:03 pm
Location: Golden State
Poster Credit: 53
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:22 am
Boston and Orlando missed the playoffs last season. They can't lay claim to anything right now more than Jersey, Detroit, and Cleveland can.
Image
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Image
Image
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 18461
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:48 am
Location: Somewhere in this site...
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:59 am
32 wrote:Boston and Orlando missed the playoffs last season. They can't lay claim to anything right now more than Jersey, Detroit, and Cleveland can.


Everything is based on records. What you did in previous seasons do not matter. Right now, I think it's only Boston and Orlando (with emphasis on "right now").
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 13539
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:03 pm
Location: Golden State
Poster Credit: 53
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:57 pm
Well, "right now" is the real trick. If the season ended now, of course those would be the two teams in the East. What I'm saying is that by the end of the year, every one of those teams I listed can lay claim to being among the East's best. There will be a run by the Nets where Carter goes crazy for 5 or 6 games. The HEAT won't suck forever (especially with Ricky Davis and Dwayne Wade holding them down). Detroit is ALWAYS in the mix. And as long as Cleveland has 'Bron, they're in the mix. Right now, Dwight is on a huge tear and Boston looks unstoppable. Cue an injury to Howard OR Garnett and that all changes.
Image
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Image
Image
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 18461
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:48 am
Location: Somewhere in this site...
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:02 pm
32 wrote:Well, "right now" is the real trick. If the season ended now, of course those would be the two teams in the East. What I'm saying is that by the end of the year, every one of those teams I listed can lay claim to being among the East's best. There will be a run by the Nets where Carter goes crazy for 5 or 6 games. The HEAT won't suck forever (especially with Ricky Davis and Dwayne Wade holding them down). Detroit is ALWAYS in the mix. And as long as Cleveland has 'Bron, they're in the mix. Right now, Dwight is on a huge tear and Boston looks unstoppable. Cue an injury to Howard OR Garnett and that all changes.


Yeah, but almost any team in the east can say so. I just go by current records because, if not, there are 8 contenders in the east. At least.
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 13539
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:03 pm
Location: Golden State
Poster Credit: 53
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:05 pm
Thats what I'm saying. The East is wide open. "Being a contender" in the East doesn't mean much. The Charlotte Bobcats are a 6-game winning streak away from "being a contender" in the East.
Image
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Image
Image
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 21447
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:50 am
Location: Perth
Poster Credit: 28
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:41 pm
You do have to go by records but also by trend of the team and in the case of Boston and Orlando, those two teams just look sensational and not like slowing down anytime soon
Image



Image


migya make the ring fall on ya
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 13539
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:03 pm
Location: Golden State
Poster Credit: 53
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 2:53 am
You also need to take into account that Chicago isn't going to be riding in last place all season long. They'll make a run, too...

Ditto with Detroit and Jersey. They'll all have runs and be in the mix.
Image
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Image
Image
Previous

Return to Sports Board

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

cron