Oden Gaining Substantial Muscle

Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 13480
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:03 pm
Location: Golden State
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 2:44 pm
NBA.com Player News wrote:Oden has gained 30 pounds of muscle this season bringing him near 280 pounds, The Oregonian reports. He has maintained his 7.8 percent body fat so all that additional weight is all upper-body muscle. He hasn't been able to do any lower body weight training because of his knee surgery. He should be a force to be reckoned with next season.

Thoughts...?

I don't think anybody is ignorant to believe Oden to be an ineffective player when he's on the floor, but I'm extremely weary of his (in?)ability to stay healthy. I think Oden will be another Pervous Elison: a player capable of 20 and 10 when he does play, but he'll likely never play more than 60 games in a season. Think Marcus Camby. On talent alone, he's a franchise player... but then there's that other stuff.
Image
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Image
Image
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 18461
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:48 am
Location: Somewhere in this site...
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 3:43 pm
32 wrote:Thoughts...?


I still want to see him play a NBA game before I can say anything about him. Right now, injuries seem to be an issue... and we all know that players that start this way, usually don't change. Seems like health might be a problem during his whole career.
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 3086
Joined: Fri Jul 21, 2006 9:51 pm
Location: Redwood City, CA
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 4:17 pm
If he is still injury prone two years down the road, then it's over for him (for being a championship player). I'm not judging anything now, since he hasn't played his first game. Also, his wrist injury and his knee injury seem irrelevant, so I'd give it time.
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 21221
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:50 am
Location: Perth
Poster Credit: 25
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 4:59 pm
7 foot 280 pounds is about right to be a real powerful force, as long as he stays mobile and can run. Oden has everything to prove but he looks every bit a star, from college games at least
Image



Image


migya make the ring fall on ya
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 1266
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2005 7:50 pm
Location: Alameda
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:45 pm
The reason why he went to Portland is to carry on the Bill Walton tradition of being an absolute injury prone monster. I'd say he gets a stretch of 2-3 years where he can stay healthy and potentially lead the Blazers to a chip but beyond that he will have a hard time staying on the court.

But honestly, for that city and franchise, isn't the 2-3 years of health that he'd bring be worth it?

Role Player
Posts: 263
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2004 12:13 pm
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:11 pm
You don't gain 30 lbs of upper body muscle in a few months

Some of that has to be fat, which isn't exactly good.
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 3086
Joined: Fri Jul 21, 2006 9:51 pm
Location: Redwood City, CA
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:58 pm
If you read the quote it says that it's all muscle.
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 21221
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:50 am
Location: Perth
Poster Credit: 25
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:08 pm
JayPat wrote:If you read the quote it says that it's all muscle.



Yea, obviously he has just been hitting the weights all the time while he's injured and though it is not all that good to put on alot of weight, physical training is a must otherwise he would detrain alot and take months to get back to just good shape
Image



Image


migya make the ring fall on ya
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 1770
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2007 4:59 pm
Location: oakland
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:34 pm
hmmm..greg oden...from his name i think he can't become a famous person...unless is like greg roden or greg modern...
from the star calculation...he is only ok ok....
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 18461
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:48 am
Location: Somewhere in this site...
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:08 am
Thunder wrote:But honestly, for that city and franchise, isn't the 2-3 years of health that he'd bring be worth it?


I'd sign anywhere for a player that can give us 3 years as a title contender... And so would any team in the NBA.
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 1266
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2005 7:50 pm
Location: Alameda
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:41 pm
TMC wrote:
Thunder wrote:But honestly, for that city and franchise, isn't the 2-3 years of health that he'd bring be worth it?


I'd sign anywhere for a player that can give us 3 years as a title contender... And so would any team in the NBA.


I agree we, and most cities, would but I think there are a handful of cities that compete annually that wouldn't do it (I am saying take the deal of competing hard for a title for 3 years and being in the dregs the other 7 years of the decade). I'd put San Antonio, Dallas, Detroit, and the Suns in that mix. Everyone else probably would take the deal wth those conditions.
User avatar
Starting Lineup
Posts: 575
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:52 am
Location: Oakland
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:32 pm
That's ridiculous. 30 pounds on the chest and arms? He must look like Joe Swanson from family guy right now, all upper body and no legs.

This just shows that he is not done growing and he will be a monster size-wise. That strong upper body will help him sweep the ball down on the block wherever he wants.

Just stay heathly
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 21221
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:50 am
Location: Perth
Poster Credit: 25
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:22 pm
Thunder wrote:
TMC wrote:
Thunder wrote:But honestly, for that city and franchise, isn't the 2-3 years of health that he'd bring be worth it?


I'd sign anywhere for a player that can give us 3 years as a title contender... And so would any team in the NBA.


I agree we, and most cities, would but I think there are a handful of cities that compete annually that wouldn't do it (I am saying take the deal of competing hard for a title for 3 years and being in the dregs the other 7 years of the decade). I'd put San Antonio, Dallas, Detroit, and the Suns in that mix. Everyone else probably would take the deal wth those conditions.



Agree with you totally. Teams that hardly ever compete for the championship would not do that because they know how to win and stay near the top while other teams would take that opportunity because they may never have it
Image



Image


migya make the ring fall on ya
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 18461
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:48 am
Location: Somewhere in this site...
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:17 am
I'm sure Detroit would do it... They're not contenders anymore, and I doubt they consider themselves as such. Things changed a lot since Larry Brown left.
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 21221
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:50 am
Location: Perth
Poster Credit: 25
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:10 am
TMC wrote:I'm sure Detroit would do it... They're not contenders anymore, and I doubt they consider themselves as such. Things changed a lot since Larry Brown left.



Like they won more games than ever before the first season after he left :wink:
Image



Image


migya make the ring fall on ya
Next

Return to Sports Board

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest