Yi out of NBA allstar..

Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:34 am
migya wrote:I know what you are saying but having fans vote but not for players from their favourite team would be alright also. It is difficult, the nba wants the fans to be a part of things, and so they should as that is what has made the nba so popular for so many years, but that does not lead to a fair system in choosing allstars. The coaches though can be way off as well and most recently they were when they selected the four Pistons players to go to the allstar game two years ago

Yeah, I'm just saying that letting the coaches make the pick would be fair. Not perfect, but would reduce the randomizing effect of people voting for their favorites, no matter what kind of season they're having.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 28
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:40 am
TMC wrote:
migya wrote:I know what you are saying but having fans vote but not for players from their favourite team would be alright also. It is difficult, the nba wants the fans to be a part of things, and so they should as that is what has made the nba so popular for so many years, but that does not lead to a fair system in choosing allstars. The coaches though can be way off as well and most recently they were when they selected the four Pistons players to go to the allstar game two years ago

Yeah, I'm just saying that letting the coaches make the pick would be fair. Not perfect, but would reduce the randomizing effect of people voting for their favorites, no matter what kind of season they're having.

A points system where players get "allstar selection points" would be the best thing. Players gets points for stats and situation, such as having a very bad roster and getting alot of the defensive attention and effectiveness (harder than stats but definately a factor)

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:42 am
migya wrote:A points system where players get "allstar selection points" would be the best thing. Players gets points for stats and situation, such as having a very bad roster and getting alot of the defensive attention and effectiveness (harder than stats but definately a factor)

Might work... maybe giving the starter spots to the best 5 of each conference based on those points (and by positions, of course) and picking the rest via voting. That might be a good idea.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:48 am
TMC wrote:
migya wrote:A points system where players get "allstar selection points" would be the best thing. Players gets points for stats and situation, such as having a very bad roster and getting alot of the defensive attention and effectiveness (harder than stats but definately a factor)

Might work... maybe giving the starter spots to the best 5 of each conference based on those points (and by positions, of course) and picking the rest via voting. That might be a good idea.

Complicated strategy at first but really the best way. Maybe pythogoras.... I mean Pest can give us his thoughts as he is good with calculations and stats and so forth

All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 2:10 am
migya wrote:
TMC wrote:

Complicated strategy at first but really the best way. Maybe pythogoras.... I mean Pest can give us his thoughts as he is good with calculations and stats and so forth

My honest opinion is that there is no great and accurate stat in evaluating how much a player contributes to their team. I personally think that, since the allstar game is a meaningless game about the ratings, fans should be allowed to vote, but only on paper ballots at the games.
ImageImage
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 2:45 am
tHe_pEsTiLeNcE wrote:My honest opinion is that there is no great and accurate stat in evaluating how much a player contributes to their team. I personally think that, since the allstar game is a meaningless game about the ratings, fans should be allowed to vote, but only on paper ballots at the games.

If we consider it a game for the fans, shouldn't they be allowed to pick all the players and just not the starting lineups?.

I'm just throwing the idea out there, not saying that's what I think, but it makes sense if it's only a game for entertainment purposes.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 3:58 am
TMC wrote:
tHe_pEsTiLeNcE wrote:My honest opinion is that there is no great and accurate stat in evaluating how much a player contributes to their team. I personally think that, since the allstar game is a meaningless game about the ratings, fans should be allowed to vote, but only on paper ballots at the games.

If we consider it a game for the fans, shouldn't they be allowed to pick all the players and just not the starting lineups?.

I'm just throwing the idea out there, not saying that's what I think, but it makes sense if it's only a game for entertainment purposes.

I've always thought that but figured it was a move by the nba to make sure that most of the players that somewhat deserved to get into the allstar game got in and not just the most popular ones.

Still think some clculation system is the "best" way to work out the best players but the nba has to keep the fan voting because it is a great way to keep the fans are part of the sport and that equals fan interest and money

Previous

Return to Sports Board