SF Giants wish list (IMO)

Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:59 pm
32 wrote:I want Cabrarea, too. No free agent bat can help like his. I'd even deal Cain to get him.

Cabrera will be 25 when the season starts. That means when the rebuilding is done he'll still be a stud in the middle of the lineup. No other bat currently on the market will do that.

Stark has some interesting things to say in his column: "Well, here's the Marlins' asking price: Four players, none of them with more than three years of big league service, all with a similar profile to the young future superstars the Twins are asking for Santana."

Not sure the Giants have enough to meet this demand, and I'm not sure Cabrera is worth it. Only thing is I doubt the Giants would land Cabrera on the free agent market.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/s ... id=3121887
StuckInSoCal
(GSW for life)
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 8:30 am
StuckInSoCal, there goes Tori Hunter. He signed a 5 year, 85 million deal with the Angels. I am glad the Giants didnt sign him to a crappy contract like that. Legendary fielder with a barely above average bat. Not worth it.

All Star
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:04 pm
sfsfsfgiants wrote:StuckInSoCal, there goes Tori Hunter. He signed a 5 year, 85 million deal with the Angels. I am glad the Giants didnt sign him to a crappy contract like that. Legendary fielder with a barely above average bat. Not worth it.

I think what we've learned in the past couple years is that every free agent signing is basically a rip-off. $17 million a year for Hunter is very, very expensive. No wonder the Twins don't expect to sign any of these guys.

I think the move is a good one for the Angels. They give up no prospects, add a bat in front of Vlad that will give you better production than Garret Anderson and a stud defensive player next to Gary Matthews Jr. and Vlad. Sure, it's a lot of money, but after the Angels flamed out last year they needed something and the GM hates trading prospects.

I hope the Giants don't end up in the same position as last year when every guy they wanted signed elsewhere and all that was left to do was to throw $30 million at Zito and Bonds and call it an off-season.
StuckInSoCal
(GSW for life)
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 1:23 pm
StuckInSoCal wrote:
sfsfsfgiants wrote:StuckInSoCal, there goes Tori Hunter. He signed a 5 year, 85 million deal with the Angels. I am glad the Giants didnt sign him to a crappy contract like that. Legendary fielder with a barely above average bat. Not worth it.

I hope the Giants don't end up in the same position as last year when every guy they wanted signed elsewhere and all that was left to do was to throw $30 million at Zito and Bonds and call it an off-season.

I dont think that management can do that anymore. The fans know what's up, and they cant just sign one guy and say we did our job.

All Star
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 11:29 am
sfsfsfgiants wrote:
StuckInSoCal wrote:

I dont think that management can do that anymore. The fans know what's up, and they cant just sign one guy and say we did our job.

I hope you're right, but I fear you're wrong. Not many guys out there who will make a difference.
StuckInSoCal
(GSW for life)
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 12:35 pm
StuckInSoCal wrote:
sfsfsfgiants wrote:
StuckInSoCal wrote:

I hope you're right, but I fear you're wrong. Not many guys out there who will make a difference.

I heard that the Giants are REALLY thinking about trading Lincecum and a prospect for Cabrera. :|

All Star
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 2:58 pm
sfsfsfgiants wrote:
StuckInSoCal wrote:
sfsfsfgiants wrote:
StuckInSoCal wrote:

I heard that the Giants are REALLY thinking about trading Lincecum and a prospect for Cabrera. :|

Well, it's as you said. The Giants know they can't just sign one guy and say they did their job, but the only way to really upgrade your team is to trade for a stud because the studs are pretty much all off the market. Lincecum is a great talent, but I think in the long run Cabrera can and will be better, unless he lets his body go to total crap. Hopefully with a veteran skipper like Boche the Giants can stop that from happening.

Once you add Cabrera you can add a second bat from the FA market and our lineup doesn't look as pathetic. I really hate to be such a downer about the Giants but they really lack any offensive weapons what-so-ever.

And one more thing about Lincecum... who knows with young starting pitching? More often than not they flame out and become nothing. Remember 3-4 years ago when everyone was raving about the Padres starting staff? One guy (Peavy) came out of that group and the rest are gone and washed up.

Lincecum is really a small framed guy with odd mechanics that has shown some promise and has a high ceiling. Cabrera is an all-star, and last I remember we really haven't had many of those besides Barry Bonds.
StuckInSoCal
(GSW for life)
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 7:39 pm
I'd deal Lincecum for Cabrera.

I mean sure... the trades we've made dealing young pitchers away for hopeful talent has been nothing real close to success the majority of the time, but adding Cabrera and another weapon through the wire would spell improvement for this team. Losing just Cain or losing just Lincecum won't hurt at all.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 8:59 pm
xbaywarrior wrote:I'd deal Lincecum for Cabrera.

I mean sure... the trades we've made dealing young pitchers away for hopeful talent has been nothing real close to success the majority of the time, but adding Cabrera and another weapon through the wire would spell improvement for this team. Losing just Cain or losing just Lincecum won't hurt at all.

Man, losing Lincecum would piss me off. I am okay trading Cain, though.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 1:28 am
sfsfsfgiants wrote:

Me too, but whatever will help improve the team I'd be down. His 2-seam and 4-seam fastball are just two pitches I don't want to see gone in the bay.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 9:25 am
xbaywarrior wrote:
sfsfsfgiants wrote:

Me too, but whatever will help improve the team I'd be down. His 2-seam and 4-seam fastball are just two pitches I don't want to see gone in the bay.

The thing with getting better, why does it matter? We arent going to be a playoff team with him, and that's what matters, so we might as well keep our ace phenom.
Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:53 pm
32 wrote:I want Cabrarea, too. No free agent bat can help like his. I'd even deal Cain to get him.

I have been beging for the G's to try and get Cabrera, too bad the Tigers beat us to it....
I have seen the 49ers win a Superbowl. I have now seen the Giants win a world series. I need one more championship in my lifetime to make my life complete...
Previous

Return to Sports Board