Nellie on KNBR

Area for news articles related to the Warriors

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Role Player
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:23 am
I caught a couple of minutes of Nellie talking with Razor and Mr T yesterday afternoon and thought I'd through out a couple of comments from the coach. I'm sure that someone with better Google-foo can come up with a transcript of the conversation, but here's a few things I remember from the brief part I heard:

--Nellie, for his part, was holding the interview in a cigar shop. Nice.

--Nellie was high on Wright and Bellineli for their BB IQ, but clearly stated that they were too raw to play much at this point.

--coach knows that BD is playing too much and hopes to limit with SJack

--said his only ballhandlers were BD, Jack and Barnes

--in discussing the Knicks game, Nellie brought up Mbenga as being a big body to use

--Nellie said W's were not at all a good passing team
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:28 am
Other than that comment about Barnes being a ballhandler, it's pretty much what we should expect from Nellie...

btw, most of those conversations are available online on the KNBR site. Here's the link:

http://www.knbr.com/razorMrT/index.html
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:29 am
drazz wrote:--in discussing the Knicks game, Nellie brought up Mbenga as being a big body to use

I actually like this signing and am begining to understand it. They are going to be playing teams that they need a guy to bang with. He can do that. Knock Curry over a couple of times. I hope to see him grab a couple of good minutes. I am pulling for him.
Role Player
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:20 pm
No, not much that was out of the ordinary or that we have not heard before.

I was a bit surprised to hear Nellie praise both Wright and Bellinelli, evern if he said that they were not ready to play much. I know that Nellie has a tendancy to use the media to motivate, but I just never got the impression that Nellie approved of Bellinelli yet.

And the comment on Mbenga was also clearly to psych the guy up for some potential minutes in today's game. And SFSF, you got it right. H'e pretty clearly the guy that is supposed to go in a bang with the big guys against those teams that will just throw out some thug centers. Plus, he seems athletic enoug to not slow down the W's pace too much. Don't think he'll get much play time, but he is 2 boards and 6 fouls on legs.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:45 pm
sfsfsfgiants wrote:
drazz wrote:--in discussing the Knicks game, Nellie brought up Mbenga as being a big body to use

I actually like this signing and am begining to understand it. They are going to be playing teams that they need a guy to bang with. He can do that. Knock Curry over a couple of times. I hope to see him grab a couple of good minutes. I am pulling for him.

It's alright to have a guy that can bang around anyone else but the thing is, how much will Mbengs be used? He will deter from the team style and basically make it four guys on offense for the team. I'd much rather see Croshere bang around because at least he has an offensive game.

As long as Mbenga can come in and rebound and block some shots, beating up other guys if needed in his extremely short minutes then alright

migya make the ring fall on ya
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:20 pm
migya wrote:
sfsfsfgiants wrote:

It's alright to have a guy that can bang around anyone else but the thing is, how much will Mbengs be used? He will deter from the team style and basically make it four guys on offense for the team. I'd much rather see Croshere bang around because at least he has an offensive game.

As long as Mbenga can come in and rebound and block some shots, beating up other guys if needed in his extremely short minutes then alright

I doubt that he will be used a whole lot. He was used tonight because he could stop Curry. The reason they got him was to give them an extra big to spell O'Bryant and Andris.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:02 am
migya wrote:
sfsfsfgiants wrote:

I guess Nellie might have some hope of DJ becomign our own version of Desagana Diop. A big that can block shots and get boards and allow the rest of the team to play... Don't think he'll play much, tho.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:28 am
TMC wrote:
migya wrote:
sfsfsfgiants wrote:

I guess Nellie might have some hope of DJ becomign our own version of Desagana Diop. A big that can block shots and get boards and allow the rest of the team to play... Don't think he'll play much, tho.

If he is as effective as Diop then he is a steal but I can't see him getting close to the court time that Diop gets so insignificant

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:16 am
Mbenga missed a WIDE open dunk yesterday. He's garbage.

Is Nellie REALLY trying not to play O'Bryant... or does it just seem that way?
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
All Star
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:14 am
32 wrote:Mbenga missed a WIDE open dunk yesterday. He's garbage.

Is Nellie REALLY trying not to play O'Bryant... or does it just seem that way?

he is trying to not play him, wright or bellinelli...he has no confidence in any of them yet. Kind of reminds me of Diogu. Even when Ike would have a good outing, he would be rewarded with pine time the next game. Nelson is esp. tough on young bigs and Belli just plays a position where there are 4 dudes Nelson would rather see out there right now. I suspect belli and wright will see more minutes, but POB underachieved so much last year that he is going to be the ceremonial Ike Diogu this year, on an incredibly tight leash with zero tolerance for fuckups. Remember, POB was not a Nellie pick, whereas Nelson was on board with Wright and Belli.
To Live is A Value Judgment - Albert Camus
3 reasons for living: Jazz, Hoops and women

President Barack Hussein Obama - America chose Hope over Fear
ImageImage
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:04 am
:dontknow: Nellie played Biedrins.

I think if O'Bryant has something to offer, its a mistake to play clunky bigs like Mbenga ahead of him. Mbenga is trash.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:06 pm
Nice new chik on your sig coltraning :wink:

Just because a player misses one dunk attempt doesn't mean he is garbage and can't put the ball in the basket but it is a sign of lack of coordination. We are all used to that as Foyle was a master of uncoordination. Nelson shouls be playing the young guys far more, unless there is a situation where fouling of an opposition star big is needed or some muscle is needed out on the court, that is where Mbenga should play but that won't be often anyway. I want to see BWright play more and show whether he deserves the playing time or not. Right now, Nelson isn't even giving Belinelli and BWright the chance

All Star
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 1:02 am
migya wrote:Nice new chik on your sig coltraning :wink:

Just because a player misses one dunk attempt doesn't mean he is garbage and can't put the ball in the basket but it is a sign of lack of coordination. We are all used to that as Foyle was a master of uncoordination. Nelson shouls be playing the young guys far more, unless there is a situation where fouling of an opposition star big is needed or some muscle is needed out on the court, that is where Mbenga should play but that won't be often anyway. I want to see BWright play more and show whether he deserves the playing time or not. Right now, Nelson isn't even giving Belinelli and BWright the chance

thanks - saw that one from a drewbacca cheerleaders post and she seemed like a fresh face...I was very impressed w/bwright tonight - would like to see him get some more minutes...

ImageImage
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 8:18 am
coltraning wrote:

I was very impressed w/bwright tonight - would like to see him get some more minutes...

Join the crowd. :|
All Star
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 10:00 am
sfsfsfgiants wrote:
coltraning wrote:

I was very impressed w/bwright tonight - would like to see him get some more minutes...

Join the crowd. :|

I think the only crowd that matters is Nelson's crowd of one - somehow I suspect he doesn't spend a lot o time reading this board, though with our scintillating and spot-on analysis, I can't see why...

ImageImage
Next

Return to News Articles