SF Giants wish list (IMO)

Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes


All Star
Posts: 1910
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:43 am
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:14 pm
OK, so the free agent season is upon us. The Giants were horrible last year and will likely be horrible for the next few years. Take a look at their roster and try to build a batting lineup and you'll see exactly what I mean.

What do they need? Good, all-around players who are NOT 38 years old. Not 36, or even 34. The G-Men need 30-year-old talents who will sign 5-year deals to help us through rebuilding without pulling Ray Durhams on us.

OK, so here are a few guys I could see becoming the cornerstone of the Giants' offense in the rebuilding years to come:

#1, Torii Hunter: A little old at 32, but an amazing athlete in CF who can hit for average (.287 last year) with some pop (28 HR, 107 RBIs). Sign him and pencil him in at three in the order and let him roam center for you for the next five years.

#2, ????????

Yup, that's right, my list of guys who I see worth the big money of FA ends at one. Jones, Guillen, Rowand, Bradley, Cameron, Wilkerson... are we really going to pay these guys millions and expect them to give this team a little pop (in the void left by Bonds)? Pretty scary.

I still think Zito was the right guy for rebuilding, regardless of his record and cost. I think Hunter is another guy you have to over-pay while you try to develop prospects in hopes of returning as a contender.

Thoughts?
StuckInSoCal
(GSW for life)
User avatar
Franchise Player
Posts: 5756
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:40 am
Location: On the couch watching sports
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:48 pm
StuckInSoCal wrote:OK, so the free agent season is upon us. The Giants were horrible last year and will likely be horrible for the next few years. Take a look at their roster and try to build a batting lineup and you'll see exactly what I mean.

What do they need? Good, all-around players who are NOT 38 years old. Not 36, or even 34. The G-Men need 30-year-old talents who will sign 5-year deals to help us through rebuilding without pulling Ray Durhams on us.

OK, so here are a few guys I could see becoming the cornerstone of the Giants' offense in the rebuilding years to come:

#1, Torii Hunter: A little old at 32, but an amazing athlete in CF who can hit for average (.287 last year) with some pop (28 HR, 107 RBIs). Sign him and pencil him in at three in the order and let him roam center for you for the next five years.

#2, ????????

Yup, that's right, my list of guys who I see worth the big money of FA ends at one. Jones, Guillen, Rowand, Bradley, Cameron, Wilkerson... are we really going to pay these guys millions and expect them to give this team a little pop (in the void left by Bonds)? Pretty scary.

I still think Zito was the right guy for rebuilding, regardless of his record and cost. I think Hunter is another guy you have to over-pay while you try to develop prospects in hopes of returning as a contender.

Thoughts?


I really dont like Tori Hunter. He is a great glove, and a great locker room presence, but we need a bopper. I would prefer Jones to Hunter. We need a guy that scares pitchers.

As I said in another thread, A-Rod narrowed it down to three teams, the Giants, Dodgers, and the Angels. Another guy we could be after. :|

I dont expect them to make a major splash in the free agent market, but I am expecting a big trade this winter. Lincecum, Lowry, Cain, Hennessey, Correia, Wilson, and Taschner. Two of these guys will be gone. Lincecum is on the block, as is Cain and Lowry. It will be a different team next year.
User avatar
Franchise Player
Posts: 9202
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:07 pm
Location: Land of the Lacob.
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:03 pm
I'd like the Giants to take a shot at Andruw Jones rather than going after A-Rod. He's not cheap, but he is cheaper than A-Rod... heck everyone is cheaper than A-Rod.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.

All Star
Posts: 1910
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:43 am
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:28 pm
Jones .230 average scares the hell out of me. I'm not so sure he would hit 40 out playing in SF, either.

Why would the Giants trade Lincecum or Cain? They're really our only young players who are major league ready. They're cheap, they're fun to watch and they eat innings on a baaaaaad team. Sure, they have their fair share of bad games, but they're not exactly pitching for a playoff team.

I like Hunter because he blends defense with solid hitting and some pop. He doesn't scare pitchers, but he also has more of a complete game than Jones. I see Jones as one of those guys who really declines as he ages, while Hunter probably has 3-5 more all-star caliber years left in him.

I just don't see ARod happening. He says he wants to win, and he won't on the Giants. I'm afraid that even if we get him opposing teams will just pitch around him. Who's batting after him? Feliz? LAWLZ, that won't keep any pitchers honest. Ultimately I think SF will be used as a bargaining chip and I wouldn't be surprised if ARod ends up with the Dodgers. Maybe the Angels, but the Dodgers have historically been the spenders and the NL is ripe for the picking for any team willing to spend a little.

In other words, the NL is rather pathetic at the moment, allowing teams like the Rockies and the DBacks to advance to the NLCS. I'm guessing many of you saw these teams play this year at AT&T Park... I sure did, and both looked pretty average.
StuckInSoCal
(GSW for life)
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 13479
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:03 pm
Location: Golden State
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:55 am
sfsfsfgiants wrote:
StuckInSoCal wrote:OK, so the free agent season is upon us. The Giants were horrible last year and will likely be horrible for the next few years. Take a look at their roster and try to build a batting lineup and you'll see exactly what I mean.

What do they need? Good, all-around players who are NOT 38 years old. Not 36, or even 34. The G-Men need 30-year-old talents who will sign 5-year deals to help us through rebuilding without pulling Ray Durhams on us.

OK, so here are a few guys I could see becoming the cornerstone of the Giants' offense in the rebuilding years to come:

#1, Torii Hunter: A little old at 32, but an amazing athlete in CF who can hit for average (.287 last year) with some pop (28 HR, 107 RBIs). Sign him and pencil him in at three in the order and let him roam center for you for the next five years.

#2, ????????

Yup, that's right, my list of guys who I see worth the big money of FA ends at one. Jones, Guillen, Rowand, Bradley, Cameron, Wilkerson... are we really going to pay these guys millions and expect them to give this team a little pop (in the void left by Bonds)? Pretty scary.

I still think Zito was the right guy for rebuilding, regardless of his record and cost. I think Hunter is another guy you have to over-pay while you try to develop prospects in hopes of returning as a contender.

Thoughts?


I really dont like Tori Hunter. He is a great glove, and a great locker room presence, but we need a bopper. I would prefer Jones to Hunter. We need a guy that scares pitchers.

As I said in another thread, A-Rod narrowed it down to three teams, the Giants, Dodgers, and the Angels. Another guy we could be after. :|

I dont expect them to make a major splash in the free agent market, but I am expecting a big trade this winter. Lincecum, Lowry, Cain, Hennessey, Correia, Wilson, and Taschner. Two of these guys will be gone. Lincecum is on the block, as is Cain and Lowry. It will be a different team next year.

You think they're looking to deal Lincecum...? :shock:

I seriously hope not. That kid's an ace in the making. I know that Lowry's on the block... and Zito can be had, if someone makes the right offer, but I thought the Giants were clinging pretty tightly to Cain and Lincecum?
Image
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Image
Image
User avatar
Franchise Player
Posts: 5756
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:40 am
Location: On the couch watching sports
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:16 pm
I will quote from the Post from last week:

There are rumors out there that the San Francisco Giants would consider moving Tim Lincecum as a way counter their lack of young, impact position players.

Interestingly, Lincecum is just the type of young, talented, pitcher the Tampa Bay Devil Rays want. It so happens Rays have a bevy of young positional talent.

Only B.J. Upton, whom Tampa sees as a top-flight center fielder for years, is untouchable. That means players such as Carl Crawford and Delmon Young could be had in the right deal.


Personally, this is the shi*ts if they do it, and I wouldnt go to the games next year. I'm just saying what they are rumored to be doing, not what I want them to do.

All Star
Posts: 1910
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:43 am
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:31 pm
sfsfsfgiants wrote:I will quote from the Post from last week:

There are rumors out there that the San Francisco Giants would consider moving Tim Lincecum as a way counter their lack of young, impact position players.

Interestingly, Lincecum is just the type of young, talented, pitcher the Tampa Bay Devil Rays want. It so happens Rays have a bevy of young positional talent.

Only B.J. Upton, whom Tampa sees as a top-flight center fielder for years, is untouchable. That means players such as Carl Crawford and Delmon Young could be had in the right deal.


Personally, this is the shi*ts if they do it, and I wouldnt go to the games next year. I'm just saying what they are rumored to be doing, not what I want them to do.


Carl Crawford and Delmon Young may be just what the doctor ordered. I'd consider moving an unproven Lincecum for those two.
StuckInSoCal
(GSW for life)
User avatar
Franchise Player
Posts: 5756
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:40 am
Location: On the couch watching sports
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:50 pm
StuckInSoCal wrote:
sfsfsfgiants wrote:I will quote from the Post from last week:

There are rumors out there that the San Francisco Giants would consider moving Tim Lincecum as a way counter their lack of young, impact position players.

Interestingly, Lincecum is just the type of young, talented, pitcher the Tampa Bay Devil Rays want. It so happens Rays have a bevy of young positional talent.

Only B.J. Upton, whom Tampa sees as a top-flight center fielder for years, is untouchable. That means players such as Carl Crawford and Delmon Young could be had in the right deal.


Personally, this is the shi*ts if they do it, and I wouldnt go to the games next year. I'm just saying what they are rumored to be doing, not what I want them to do.


Carl Crawford and Delmon Young may be just what the doctor ordered. I'd consider moving an unproven Lincecum for those two.


I just dont know. Lincecum is young, and may not have as much experience as you would like, but he is just not the type of player that you would give up unless you are getting a megastar in return. He has a chance to be one of the best of our lifetimes.

All Star
Posts: 1910
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:43 am
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:14 pm
sfsfsfgiants wrote:
StuckInSoCal wrote:
sfsfsfgiants wrote:I will quote from the Post from last week:

There are rumors out there that the San Francisco Giants would consider moving Tim Lincecum as a way counter their lack of young, impact position players.

Interestingly, Lincecum is just the type of young, talented, pitcher the Tampa Bay Devil Rays want. It so happens Rays have a bevy of young positional talent.

Only B.J. Upton, whom Tampa sees as a top-flight center fielder for years, is untouchable. That means players such as Carl Crawford and Delmon Young could be had in the right deal.


Personally, this is the shi*ts if they do it, and I wouldnt go to the games next year. I'm just saying what they are rumored to be doing, not what I want them to do.


Carl Crawford and Delmon Young may be just what the doctor ordered. I'd consider moving an unproven Lincecum for those two.


I just dont know. Lincecum is young, and may not have as much experience as you would like, but he is just not the type of player that you would give up unless you are getting a megastar in return. He has a chance to be one of the best of our lifetimes.


His thin frame and odd mechanics make me think that's unlikely. But hey, we'll have plenty of time to see. Carl Crawford would make this team exciting right now, and Delmon Young has as much hype as Lincecum. I know pitching wins world championships, but zero hitting loses 100 games a year.
StuckInSoCal
(GSW for life)
User avatar
Franchise Player
Posts: 9202
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:07 pm
Location: Land of the Lacob.
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:54 pm
Say goodbye to A-Rod. $275 million contract for 10-years with millions more earned if he breaks the homerun record.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
User avatar
Franchise Player
Posts: 5756
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:40 am
Location: On the couch watching sports
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:14 pm
Good, I didnt want him anyway. Let the Yankees rot their money away. Now is the time that we need to go out and make a good move or two. Grab a couple of guys before the bidding gets too high.

All Star
Posts: 1910
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:43 am
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:28 pm
sfsfsfgiants wrote:Good, I didnt want him anyway. Let the Yankees rot their money away. Now is the time that we need to go out and make a good move or two. Grab a couple of guys before the bidding gets too high.


Who really are those guys? Like I said above, I like Hunter, and very few else. Jones may be a star in this league, but he may come to SF and hit .240 with us. Even if he hits 40 HR, is .240 really going to do it?
StuckInSoCal
(GSW for life)
User avatar
Franchise Player
Posts: 5756
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:40 am
Location: On the couch watching sports
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:21 pm
StuckInSoCal wrote:
sfsfsfgiants wrote:Good, I didnt want him anyway. Let the Yankees rot their money away. Now is the time that we need to go out and make a good move or two. Grab a couple of guys before the bidding gets too high.


Who really are those guys? Like I said above, I like Hunter, and very few else. Jones may be a star in this league, but he may come to SF and hit .240 with us. Even if he hits 40 HR, is .240 really going to do it?


The name Kosuke Fukudome comes to mind as a guy the Giants could go after.

[youtube]http://youtube.com/watch?v=2yTPVo5KA20&feature=related[/youtube]
User avatar
Moderator
Posts: 2538
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2007 4:40 pm
Location: Eureka, CA - Humboldt
Poster Credit: 19
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:47 am
All I want is Miguel Cabrera, not the philly (actually White Sock now), but the marlins, he has been on the trade block for a while and no teams have moved for him. He has good stats and like sfsfsf said, we need a slugger.

We could plug him in at 3rd move Feliz over to 2nd and trade Durham + Lowry, this could work cos the marlins want a no. 3 or 2 pitcher and want to dump some salary. I don't know how the numbers work but i'd imagine Miguel Cabrera is making more.
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 13479
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:03 pm
Location: Golden State
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:06 am
I want Cabrarea, too. No free agent bat can help like his. I'd even deal Cain to get him.
Image
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Image
Image
Next

Return to Sports Board

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron