Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:29 am
http://www.mercurynews.com/warriors/ci_ ... ck_check=1

Days from opener, Warriors in zone
# With stronger defense, Nelson should employ more man-to-man
By Geoff Lepper

TIMES STAFF WRITER
Article Launched: 10/28/2007 03:04:13 AM PDT

OAKLAND -- Twenty-five days after their first practice, the Warriors on Saturday undertook some of their most serious work of the season: trying to absorb coach Don Nelson's principles of playing and attacking zone defenses.

The fact that these lessons weren't being taught until three days before the Warriors' first regular-season game -- Tuesday night against the Utah Jazz -- was not a sign of forgetful scheduling on the part of Nelson.

Rather, it's an indication that the current Warriors squad is much more capable and comfortable with its ability to defend opponents straight up than its 2006-07 counterpart.

"We're just helping each other more; we talk on defense more," center Andris Biedrins said. "It just helps on defense so we don't have to use a zone. We can try to defend man-to-man."

The Warriors didn't have that luxury last season, when a combination of injuries, lack of size and simple lack of talent at some positions forced them to rely on zones for more than half the time through November and December.

So far this exhibition season, that has been the case less than 10 percent of the time. Friday night in their finale, the Warriors played no zone whatsoever.

By pairing Monta Ellis and Baron Davis in the backcourt, the Warriors have reduced the chance Ellis will get posted up by a bigger player, which was one of the reasons Golden State used so much zone last season.

In addition, the Warriors added a couple of long-armed, quick defenders at
Advertisement
power forward in the form of rookies Brandan Wright and Stephane Lasme. Now, instead of having to counter a tough post-up opponent with a zone, Nelson can throw Wright or Lasme on the floor and expect they can fight that individual battle to a draw.

When he's not being forced into playing zones, Nelson is actually pretty happy wielding them as a weapon. He uses them as a change of pace, to catch other teams napping, or to break up a run that's going against his team.

"I think we will play it against teams like Phoenix to try and slow them down," Warriors swingman Stephen Jackson said. "I think the zone is kind of fading away, but we're going to keep it around because sometimes you've got to throw teams off, and Nellie's good at throwing teams off."

As good as the Warriors' zone was to start last season, it has the potential to be even better this year. If it works out the way things are planned, Wright, Lasme and equally long-armed center Patrick O'Bryant could feast on balls in passing lanes.

"We're going to play a lot of man-to-man, but I think we're still going to use zone as well," assistant coach Keith Smart said. "(A good zone) takes away the rhythm of the game, and the game turns into something else. That's what our zone will do when we play it."

Notes: The Warriors had their longest practice of the season, meeting for almost three-and-a-half hours Saturday. The first hour was spent on film study, the next hour on walking through the zone particulars, and the final 80 minutes on drills and scrimmaging. And this was after Golden State hung on to post a 110-103 victory over the Los Angeles Clippers in its exhibition finale Friday. "They deserved it," Nelson said with a mischievous grin. . . . Guards Marco Belinelli and Ellis sat out Saturday's practice after each twisted an ankle in Friday's game. Wright was held out due to his sore back, and Kelenna Azubuike rested because of flu-like symptoms. Forward Matt Barnes was absent for a fourth day due to excused personal reasons, but is expected to return Sunday. All five are expected to be ready for Tuesday's season opener, although -- with the exception of Barnes -- they're still questionable for tonight's open practice. . . . Speaking of that open session, it begins at Oracle Arena at 5:30 p.m. and lasts an hour. Admission and parking are free, but the concession stands are not. Nelson and Jackson will be wearing microphones that can be heard over the public-address system. . . . Forward Al Harrington practiced Saturday, despite suffering another painful fall Friday.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 5:27 pm
Whatever works best, zone or man to man, at any given time they should go with. Just continuous practice is what is needed and hopefully they have been drilling the defensive sets because the team played very good pressure defense at times last season and that is a must since the team is smaller than other teams

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 3:43 am
I don't like zones. It may work as a resource for games in which you ain't getting defensive stops, but I don't like it as the basis of the gameplan, not even for bad shooting teams.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:18 pm
Zones can be genius when employed properly, especially against bad shooting teams. Definately worth using now and then

All Star
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:53 pm
Love the zone. IMO it's what got us to the playoffs last year. Not necessarily for 48 mins a game but I think we're generally better at it than we are at man to man. In the zone we can scramble and get real advantage from our speed. It's what causes the TOs.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 4:53 pm
We need to run both zone and man, just to mess up the offense. Screw with their timing. If someone is in foul trouble, especially Andris, go straight to zone.

The speed that we have out there, especially with our big men, really lets the zone work well.
All Star
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:22 pm
zone and one on one defense have weakness ...like u guys said...
zone good to team where they 'low' on shooting percentage...
one on one need speed and skill also the defense ability each players have to be same or not much different, coz when they switch players ;the other teammate have to be able to cover who got switch.

I know how to play basketball but i am kind of weak on defense...maybe i am not tall...hehehehe. :mrgreen:

All Star
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:41 am
zones only work well if the team can rebound well. in a zone you lose your man and theres less chance of being in position to box out. basically by going to zone, you're counting on either a 24 second violation, or a steal. im not saying dont use the zone, im just saying dont rely on it. im sure thats why nellie waited so long to impliment it in the defensive playbook.
"the victorious warrior wins first, and then goes to war; the defeated warrior goes to war first, and hopes to win."- The Art of War

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:57 am
EMan32 wrote:zones only work well if the team can rebound well. in a zone you lose your man and theres less chance of being in position to box out. basically by going to zone, you're counting on either a 24 second violation, or a steal. im not saying dont use the zone, im just saying dont rely on it. im sure thats why nellie waited so long to impliment it in the defensive playbook.

But, as some of the guys have said in this thread, against a bigger team zone is the best way to go. You've got to double a guy like Boozer and early at least

All Star
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 1:07 am
migya wrote:
EMan32 wrote:zones only work well if the team can rebound well. in a zone you lose your man and theres less chance of being in position to box out. basically by going to zone, you're counting on either a 24 second violation, or a steal. im not saying dont use the zone, im just saying dont rely on it. im sure thats why nellie waited so long to impliment it in the defensive playbook.

But, as some of the guys have said in this thread, against a bigger team zone is the best way to go. You've got to double a guy like Boozer and early at least

you can double team without going zone...just have whoever is closer sag off his man to help double down low. that way if boozer kicks it back out its not too far a run to recover. in a zone, if you double team down low and boozer kicks out they could swing the ball with one or two more passes and theres an open 3. its harder to recover in a zone than it is man to man.
"the victorious warrior wins first, and then goes to war; the defeated warrior goes to war first, and hopes to win."- The Art of War

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 1:52 am
I just think the team used zone defense very ell last season and in situations where they are having problems man to man, they should play zone, just makes sense to change it

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 2:06 am
GSW United wrote:I know how to play basketball but i am kind of weak on defense...maybe i am not tall...hehehehe. :mrgreen:

It's exactly the opposite to me. I was (when I played, don't have time anymore... :banghead: ) more of a defensive and pass first PG, 'cos I never really learned how to shoot properly (I knew the theory... just couldn't hit the ocean with my shot :mrgreen: ).
All Star
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 3:17 pm
TMC wrote:
GSW United wrote:I know how to play basketball but i am kind of weak on defense...maybe i am not tall...hehehehe. :mrgreen:

It's exactly the opposite to me. I was (when I played, don't have time anymore... :banghead: ) more of a defensive and pass first PG, 'cos I never really learned how to shoot properly (I knew the theory... just couldn't hit the ocean with my shot :mrgreen: ).

hehehe....u could be my Center then..TMC.I am really good on shooting hehehee... :mrgreen:

Return to News Articles