NBA Live 06 or 2K6

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Which NBA game you will spend yoru time in?

NBA Live 2006
63%
NBA 2K6
25%
Both of them
13%
None of them
No votes

Total votes : 8

Rookie
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 5:57 pm
so you say the superstar feature makes the game more real. tight cause in last years live which 4 of my buddies and i run togetther for the W's one of my friends couldnt play defence fer crap and the worst point guards in the league we're lighting him up on a nightly basis. getting to my point here.... having a superstar caliber player on the computer team, will those players demand and get the ball and get the highest % of the shots?
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 6:34 pm
Yes. You no longer need to focus on covering EVERY man because they'll all dominate; tightly guarding a superstar and slightly leaving the role players opened will be more succesfull than guarding everybody tightly and giving superstars chances to shine. The stars also have the ball way more often now (teams seem to gravitate towards their highest rated player on offense), but in a realistic way.

For instance, when playing Denver: guarding Carmelo Anthony is a must because he's an outside scoring threat who can drive. But don't double him with your big man because Kenyon Martin is an inside force that will jam on you. And calling for help from your 2-spot will leave Voshon Lenard (3-point superstar) open to rain on you all night. You gotta think like teams in real life think; force the ball into Camby's hands or somebody not as capable on offense. If you're playing as the Warriors, sub in Mickael Pietrus (because his defense on Carmelo will be more useful than Mike's overall shooting). Regardless of your efforts, you can no longer hold team's starts to single digits. Carmelo will score 20 points on you no matter how tough you play him 1-on-1. And, like I said, if you double him, he'll hit the fellow stars on his team to score. In that sense, yes, the game is much more realistic because the computer will look to it's stars first and not simply the man who's opened.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 6:28 am
Sounds like nba live is finally becoming an actually real life like game. I remeber nba live 99 was great because if you had a quick guy, even a guy like Rodrick Rhodes of the Rockets, you could drive around almost any player and go all the way to the basket. With nba live 2000 though, it was so hard to both score and guard the other team. It was so much different to nba live 99 that I couldn't believe it! Grant Hill in nba live 2000 would score on post moves all the time before you could even jump to block him, it was crap. Pretty unrealistic too, I really just gave up and just simulated games in GM mode to see how many championships I could win over the years.

migya make the ring fall on ya
Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 10:46 am
wow... i just rented 2K6 for the xbox and im not disappointed. great presentation and feel.. try it out folks. i'll try renting LIVE next..
One F'ing year and thats it. F*ck!
http://www.myspace.com/djheebee
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 11:42 am
No question, 2K6's ESPN presentation knocks Live's game outta the water. I think that's the only part of the game that I dislike about NBA Live; the commentary from Steve Kerr and Marv Albert makes me envy deaf people. Great job by Sega to present 2K6 well!
Rookie
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 10:14 am
I think Live 06 is more realistic and better gameplay.
2k6 has better graphic, presentation and many other flashy unlocks.

I prefer gameplay, so I probably will go for Live06
Go Warriors!!

Rookie
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 1:07 pm
Hey folks, seriously i've been a 2K fans since dreamcast days, but then i think Live really kick ass afterward, so i turned to play Live instead, but this year Live was quite disappointing me, the first thought after i played Live 06, i wanted to switch back to Live 05, cuz the roster is way updated than Live 06 hahaha, well whatever, overall Live 06 isn't that bad, but IMO Live 05 has better gameplay than 06, and somehow it run smoothly as well, maybe i dont have the love for 06 just yet, but has to mention the freestyle was sick if u could perform it, and im always a Live fans. But there are so many supporters out there for 2K6, so i decided to get 1 (PS2 ver.) and turned out it didnt disappoint me, maybe i haven't play 2K series for ages lol, anyways, back in the days i would seriously recommened all my friends to be a Live fans, but this time i would suggest u guys to try out 2K6, just try it guys nothing to lose, and i'll try out more Live 06 hope i'll fall in love with it again
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 1:44 pm
I think that if you disliked Live 06 because the roster wasn't as updated as your manually updated one in Live 05, then that's a wrong reason to dislike the game itself. Not only can rosters be updated manually, but you can download them online as well! Roster updates are obvious going to go to 2K6 (it was completed later than Live).

I can find only two flaws with NBA Live 06: first of all, the commentary is just as boring as last time (Marv Albert's monotone play-by-play returns, along with Steve Kerr... quite possibly the only color commentator worse than Mike Fratello. Secondly, the lighting is bothersome when trying to read text (telling the difference between an 8 and a 6 is especially hard). Other than those two slight hiccups, the game itself seems nearly flawless to me.

Oh, by the way, my dorm buddy bought NBA 2K6 (we both have PS2's)... and after a couple days, he's decided to trade his back in. We were blown away by the presentation, but the games seemed dominated by either dunking or 3 point shooters (layups, fade-aways, and midrange jumpers seemed useless). We played 2 games (I was the Warriors, then the Heat) before popping my Live 06 back in. Overall, I'd say 2K6 is a very shiny, eye-catching game that presents itself very well, but the gameplay seems far too arcade for my taste. If I want a dunkfest, I'm gonna go buy NBA Street 3. Until then, I'm sticking with my Live 06 for basketball simulation. Post game, midrange game, tempo, foul trouble, defensive matchups, stradegy... they all seem to present themselves seldom in 2K6, whereas Live pays attention to them. Just my opinion (and that of my friend).

Rookie
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 2:24 pm
rosters on live and madden are always screwed b/c the games come out kinda early. you cant beat the dunk contest and freestyle control. i only played the 2k's when dreamcast was hot
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 10:04 am
ronald dregan wrote:rosters on live and madden are always screwed b/c the games come out kinda early. you cant beat the dunk contest and freestyle control. i only played the 2k's when dreamcast was hot

Yeah, I used to play the 2K series on Dreamcast, too... but those days are long gone.

Role Player
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 11:08 am
Live 06 is way better than 05. But...it takes a while to get used to it. When I first started playing 06 I didnt really care for it til I got used to the controls. Now Im a pro and I love the game. especially since they fixed fast breaks and the blocking problem.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 1:05 pm
Yeah, I noticed those fast breaks especially! 3-on-1's are now great (seeing as the opponent isn't guarenteed to reject your shot 4 times in a row anymore!)
All Star
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 10:51 am
gowarriorz wrote:I think Live 06 is more realistic and better gameplay.
2k6 has better graphic, presentation and many other flashy unlocks.

I prefer gameplay, so I probably will go for Live06

u cant be serious?the 2k series is widely regarded as a much more realistic game.Why,ummmcos it is.period
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:14 am
Realism does not usually include a washed up Penny Hardaway capable of putting up 40 points in one game, as the 2K series allowed me to do against my friend while I played as the Knicks. The new superstar freestyle control ensures that your best players will be just that... your best players. After my Knicks went up by 20 points (against the Mavericks!?!), I put in Penny Hardaway and he scored 40 points in the 2nd half. Realism my ass.

Just because I'm a better player doesn't mean that I should blow his ass out no matter what... Live 06 makes sure that no human-controlled users are screwed during the game (especially in a one-sided match, such as the Knicks and the Mavs).
Previous

Return to Warriors Basketball