Rasheed says NBA "wanted" Cavs, LeBron in Finals

Area for news articles related to the Warriors

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

User avatar
Franchise Player
Posts: 9202
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:07 pm
Location: Land of the Lacob.
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 6:25 pm
Saturday, October 27, 2007
Pistons: Notebook
Wallace gets Stern rebuke
Commissioner infers forward's comments on league wanting Cavaliers in Finals disrespectful.
Chris McCosky / The Detroit News

AUBURN HILLS -- NBA commissioner David Stern, after spending several weeks in China, rushed back to New York this week to preside over the league's Board of Governors meetings and give his annual state of the league address.

But just as he was about to catch his breath, he heard a noise coming out of Pistons camp.

"If it's Friday, it must be Rasheed Wallace," Stern said with a heavy sigh during a telephone interview Friday morning.

Stern had been briefed about some comments Wallace made after the Pistons' final exhibition Wednesday. Wallace was asked about the Pistons' playoff collapse last season and his ejection from Game 6.

"I still don't think they (Cavaliers) beat us, we beat ourselves," Wallace said. "And I think we also fell victim to that personal NBA thing where they are trying to make it a world game and get (television) ratings. They wanted to put their darling in there (the NBA Finals) and they did, and look what ended up happening."

The league's darling, according to Wallace, was LeBron James, and what ended up happening were the worst ratings in the modern history of the NBA Finals.

"This game ain't basketball anymore, it's entertainment," Wallace said. "It's starting to get like the WWF. There ain't no real wrestling anymore either. It's all fake."

Wallace has lodged the same basic complaint in varying but always colorful ways the past few years. Stern has heard him and, although he has yet to fine him for the comments, he doesn't appreciate them.

"We have a great game and it provides a lot of people -- Rasheed and myself included -- a very good living," Stern said. "I think we all need to learn to be respectful of all that this game has brought and know that there are a lot of people who have worked extremely hard to bring us all to this place. I think Rasheed needs to think about that before he starts questioning things and making those kinds of statements."

Stern, though, didn't belabor the point.

"I think sometimes different players do different things to get themselves prepared for a season," he said.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 21380
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:50 am
Location: Perth
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 7:33 pm
Rasheed equals ratings :mrgreen:
Image



Image


migya make the ring fall on ya
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 3086
Joined: Fri Jul 21, 2006 9:51 pm
Location: Redwood City, CA
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 10:35 pm
Yep, I agree with the article. Stern totally dodged the issue. He basically said "shut up Rasheed, look at your salary." The fact that he evaded the real point suggests conspiracy.
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 18461
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:48 am
Location: Somewhere in this site...
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 1:03 am
'Sheed's usually right when he talks about issues like this one. This time is not an exception.

It's like when Philly made it to the finals, and everybody knew the ratings were as important as AI in winning those series against the Bucks.
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 3042
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:42 pm
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:26 am
Sheed was on to something, but I doubt it was a ratings conspiracy. The NBA has (by its own admission) a ref crew where they average missing 8% of calls in every game. In a game decided in the last second by a point or two (many playoff games) 8% is way too high a margin for error. I am sure that, ratings-wise, the league was well aware that Phoenix-Golden State was better than San Antonio-Utah, so if they were looking to fix it for ratings, they did a miserable job. Lebron was the biggest draw in the East. What may have come into play, both with SJax and Sheed, was the league's desire to keep the "urban" element out of the marquee matchups.
To Live is A Value Judgment - Albert Camus
3 reasons for living: Jazz, Hoops and women

President Barack Hussein Obama - America chose Hope over Fear
ImageImage
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 13531
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:03 pm
Location: Golden State
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 3:37 pm
I said this throughout the entire NBA playoffs. What better dragon for King James to slay than the unstoppable Spurs? LeBron's run into the NBA Finals did seem eerily hollow. I mean, I give the guy credit. He had one monstrous half against the Pistons. But everything else did seem kinda set up...
Image
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Image
Image
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 1357
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2004 4:21 pm
Location: Menlo Park, California
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 3:40 pm
Set up how? Are you thinking they told the refs to call it against the Pistons? Somehow I have a hard time believing that. That's just a little too farfetched to me.
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 13531
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:03 pm
Location: Golden State
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 3:55 pm
cladden wrote:Set up how? Are you thinking they told the refs to call it against the Pistons? Somehow I have a hard time believing that. That's just a little too farfetched to me.

Not me. It happens in boxing all the time. And with recent reports claiming that more than 50% of NBA officials violated the league's gambling policy, I'm becoming more and more skeptic.

The playoffs didn't seem a bit fixed to you? Stephen Jackson getting continually clubbed in Salt Lake City, yet no whistle to be heard? At the time, Jazz fans were claiming the Warrior faithful to be bad losers... but I guarentee they'd be crying wolf too if Deron Williams was getting knocked around nearly as bad as Jackson. The few Utah fans willing to admit Jackson's obvious screw-job tried to justify it, claiming that SJax needs to expect that sort of treatment due to his reputation. That's bullsh*t. The NBA referee's job is to call a fair game, not to punish players that they don't particularly enjoy. And it gets even more twisted when you imagine the flip-side of the equation: had it been Dwayne Wade, and not Stephen Jackson, getting hit, you'd better believe 20 free throws a night would have been shot. That's wrong. We dismiss these casualties as "star calls" or something like that, but its just a downplaying term used to describe the unfair advantage that NBA referees give to popular players.

No, I'm not saying David Stern slid the referee crew a bag of cash in a dark alley somewhere and told them to screw the Pistons... but if there were calls that could have gone either way, I'm sure LeBron never lost the coin toss. That's about as clear as I can describe it.

To avoid obviously altering the rules, the only real effect an NBA official has on a given game would be the number of calls that can go either way. If a referee is fair, he'll try and divide those calls up evenly. But if a ref is crooked, you better believe one team is getting all those half-calls all night long.
Image
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Image
Image
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 1357
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2004 4:21 pm
Location: Menlo Park, California
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 3:59 pm
32 wrote:
cladden wrote:Set up how? Are you thinking they told the refs to call it against the Pistons? Somehow I have a hard time believing that. That's just a little too farfetched to me.

Not me. It happens in boxing all the time. And with recent reports claiming that more than 50% of NBA officials violated the league's gambling policy, I'm becoming more and more skeptic.

The playoffs didn't seem a bit fixed to you? Stephen Jackson getting continually clubbed in Salt Lake City, yet no whistle to be heard? At the time, Jazz fans were claiming the Warrior faithful to be bad losers... but I guarentee they'd be crying wolf too if Deron Williams was getting knocked around nearly as bad as Jackson. The few Utah fans willing to admit Jackson's obvious screw-job tried to justify it, claiming that SJax needs to expect that sort of treatment due to his reputation. That's bullsh*t. The NBA referee's job is to call a fair game, not to punish players that they don't particularly enjoy. And it gets even more twisted when you imagine the flip-side of the equation: had it been Dwayne Wade, and not Stephen Jackson, getting hit, you'd better believe 20 free throws a night would have been shot. That's wrong. We dismiss these casualties as "star calls" or something like that, but its just a downplaying term used to describe the unfair advantage that NBA referees give to popular players.

No, I'm not saying David Stern slid the referee crew a bag of cash in a dark alley somewhere and told them to screw the Pistons... but if there were calls that could have gone either way, I'm sure LeBron never lost the coin toss. That's about as clear as I can describe it.

To avoid obviously altering the rules, the only real effect an NBA official has on a given game would be the number of calls that can go either way. If a referee is fair, he'll try and divide those calls up evenly. But if a ref is crooked, you better believe one team is getting all those half-calls all night long.


I can get with that. The refs will have players they like and players they don't like and they won't be more professional than letting that influence the calls. This is kinda natural btw. That they dislike Steven isn't all that strange either. It doesn't make it fair but that is sadly the game. The worst ****** of them all is Tim Duncan. With his retarded ass piece of **** bambi stare he gets away with ****ing murder. I have a hard time believing this comes from the top though (even though I am sure the commish prefers the "good" guys to win). I don't think he's risking the scandal frankly. He's a lot of things but not a fool.
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 1770
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2007 4:59 pm
Location: oakland
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 4:19 pm
wow...i think they should put W's to the Finals instead of Spurs...i believe whole entire earth will 'crazy' if that happen...
NBA earn a lot from W's - Mavs series...and the most entertaining and exciting game in last year playoff.W's made the history, NBA make the money...hahahha...
now W's took the impact from what happen in last year playoff...W's sold more than 5000 addition season ticket than previous years.
Good job....can't wait for tuesday... :wink:
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 21380
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:50 am
Location: Perth
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 4:26 pm
coltraning wrote:Sheed was on to something, but I doubt it was a ratings conspiracy. The NBA has (by its own admission) a ref crew where they average missing 8% of calls in every game. In a game decided in the last second by a point or two (many playoff games) 8% is way too high a margin for error. I am sure that, ratings-wise, the league was well aware that Phoenix-Golden State was better than San Antonio-Utah, so if they were looking to fix it for ratings, they did a miserable job. Lebron was the biggest draw in the East. What may have come into play, both with SJax and Sheed, was the league's desire to keep the "urban" element out of the marquee matchups.



I was thinking that the Suns in the finals would have been the best thing for ratings
Image



Image


migya make the ring fall on ya
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 13531
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:03 pm
Location: Golden State
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 5:39 pm
cladden wrote:
32 wrote:
cladden wrote:Set up how? Are you thinking they told the refs to call it against the Pistons? Somehow I have a hard time believing that. That's just a little too farfetched to me.

Not me. It happens in boxing all the time. And with recent reports claiming that more than 50% of NBA officials violated the league's gambling policy, I'm becoming more and more skeptic.

The playoffs didn't seem a bit fixed to you? Stephen Jackson getting continually clubbed in Salt Lake City, yet no whistle to be heard? At the time, Jazz fans were claiming the Warrior faithful to be bad losers... but I guarentee they'd be crying wolf too if Deron Williams was getting knocked around nearly as bad as Jackson. The few Utah fans willing to admit Jackson's obvious screw-job tried to justify it, claiming that SJax needs to expect that sort of treatment due to his reputation. That's bullsh*t. The NBA referee's job is to call a fair game, not to punish players that they don't particularly enjoy. And it gets even more twisted when you imagine the flip-side of the equation: had it been Dwayne Wade, and not Stephen Jackson, getting hit, you'd better believe 20 free throws a night would have been shot. That's wrong. We dismiss these casualties as "star calls" or something like that, but its just a downplaying term used to describe the unfair advantage that NBA referees give to popular players.

No, I'm not saying David Stern slid the referee crew a bag of cash in a dark alley somewhere and told them to screw the Pistons... but if there were calls that could have gone either way, I'm sure LeBron never lost the coin toss. That's about as clear as I can describe it.

To avoid obviously altering the rules, the only real effect an NBA official has on a given game would be the number of calls that can go either way. If a referee is fair, he'll try and divide those calls up evenly. But if a ref is crooked, you better believe one team is getting all those half-calls all night long.


I can get with that. The refs will have players they like and players they don't like and they won't be more professional than letting that influence the calls. This is kinda natural btw. That they dislike Steven isn't all that strange either. It doesn't make it fair but that is sadly the game. The worst ****** of them all is Tim Duncan. With his retarded ass piece of **** bambi stare he gets away with ****ing murder. I have a hard time believing this comes from the top though (even though I am sure the commish prefers the "good" guys to win). I don't think he's risking the scandal frankly. He's a lot of things but not a fool.

You had me until that last line. :wink:
Image
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Image
Image
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 1357
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2004 4:21 pm
Location: Menlo Park, California
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 5:48 pm
32 wrote:
cladden wrote:
32 wrote:
cladden wrote:Set up how? Are you thinking they told the refs to call it against the Pistons? Somehow I have a hard time believing that. That's just a little too farfetched to me.

Not me. It happens in boxing all the time. And with recent reports claiming that more than 50% of NBA officials violated the league's gambling policy, I'm becoming more and more skeptic.

The playoffs didn't seem a bit fixed to you? Stephen Jackson getting continually clubbed in Salt Lake City, yet no whistle to be heard? At the time, Jazz fans were claiming the Warrior faithful to be bad losers... but I guarentee they'd be crying wolf too if Deron Williams was getting knocked around nearly as bad as Jackson. The few Utah fans willing to admit Jackson's obvious screw-job tried to justify it, claiming that SJax needs to expect that sort of treatment due to his reputation. That's bullsh*t. The NBA referee's job is to call a fair game, not to punish players that they don't particularly enjoy. And it gets even more twisted when you imagine the flip-side of the equation: had it been Dwayne Wade, and not Stephen Jackson, getting hit, you'd better believe 20 free throws a night would have been shot. That's wrong. We dismiss these casualties as "star calls" or something like that, but its just a downplaying term used to describe the unfair advantage that NBA referees give to popular players.

No, I'm not saying David Stern slid the referee crew a bag of cash in a dark alley somewhere and told them to screw the Pistons... but if there were calls that could have gone either way, I'm sure LeBron never lost the coin toss. That's about as clear as I can describe it.

To avoid obviously altering the rules, the only real effect an NBA official has on a given game would be the number of calls that can go either way. If a referee is fair, he'll try and divide those calls up evenly. But if a ref is crooked, you better believe one team is getting all those half-calls all night long.


I can get with that. The refs will have players they like and players they don't like and they won't be more professional than letting that influence the calls. This is kinda natural btw. That they dislike Steven isn't all that strange either. It doesn't make it fair but that is sadly the game. The worst ****** of them all is Tim Duncan. With his retarded ass piece of **** bambi stare he gets away with ****ing murder. I have a hard time believing this comes from the top though (even though I am sure the commish prefers the "good" guys to win). I don't think he's risking the scandal frankly. He's a lot of things but not a fool.

You had me until that last line. :wink:


Okay so he's a fool :-)

The dress code outside the arena rule is just stupid. In fact the entire dress code is farcical. I guess I mean, not even he is stupid enough to do that.

Return to News Articles

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron