Pair of Warriors rookies probably headed to D-League.

Area for news articles related to the Warriors

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:56 pm
Janny Hu, Chronicle Staff Writer

Sunday, October 21, 2007

(10-21) 18:50 PDT Oakland -- When Warriors coach Don Nelson says that his four rookies are "driving me nuts," he's only half joking. Nelson likes what he has seen from guard Marco Belinelli and big men Brandan Wright, Stephane Lasme and Kosta Perovic, but not all are ready for the NBA.

Which is why coach Jim Harrick of the Bakersfield Jam, the Warriors' D-League affiliate, will be at practice today, getting his first look at some new charges for the coming season.

Golden State, which became the first team to send a lottery pick to the minors when Patrick O'Bryant went down a year ago, plans to send at least two of its rookies to Bakersfield this season.

Nelson already has tabbed Wright and Perovic as likely candidates, and the same figures to apply to Lasme, the 6-foot-8 forward who was assured a roster spot only when Pat Burke and Tierre Brown were cut Sunday.

Rather than having their raw big men sit on the bench, the Warriors appear inclined to groom them in the D-League. Harrick couldn't agree more with the philosophy, especially with O'Bryant's emergence in the preseason.

"The way to learn is to do," Harrick said by phone Sunday. "The Warriors really understand that an opportunity for a young man to play is very important. I think it helped Patrick tremendously last year - I hope it did."

O'Bryant, the ninth overall pick in 2006, was a practice body until the Warriors sent him to the D-League in December. The 7-footer was admittedly rusty on arrival, but finished with averages of 12 points and 9.6 rebounds per game after his early struggles.

"After he got in shape, his offensive game improved and he learned he could score on people, learned he could run the floor in this league," Harrick said. "All of those things come from playing. By the third time he came down to us, he was averaging 22 (points) and 14 (rebounds) and blocking shots."

Harrick said he was not issued specifics on getting O'Bryant ready for Nellie-ball, but said he ran a similar up-tempo system with fringe NBA guard Mateen Cleaves pushing the pace.

Golden State assistants Russell Turner and Rico Hines also stopped by Bakersfield to check on O'Bryant, and the Warriors made sure that O'Bryant remained on the same strength-and-conditioning program he followed in Oakland.

The body-building work combined with consistent playing time are the biggest benefits for whomever the Warriors send down. Only Belinelli figures to be a lock for the active roster among the rookies, given Nelson's guard-heavy lineups and Stephen Jackson's seven-game suspension.

Golden State nonetheless will have at least a week of regular-season action to make those decisions. The Jam will not start practicing until Nov. 10 and their first game is Nov. 23. Though there is no limit on the number of first- and second-year players a team can send down, players can make only three trips a season.

Final roster set: The Warriors waived Burke and Brown to meet the league's 15-man limit. Neither camp invitee was expected to make the regular-season roster, but Nelson said he took a long look at Burke as a possible backup center before waiving the 6-11 Irishman.

"He did everything right," Nelson said. "Really intelligent player, knew how to play. Just didn't make enough shots, didn't get enough rebounds. Almost every category you look for, he just wasn't quite where he needed to be, and he felt the same way."

The coach added that O'Bryant will remain his backup center, with forwards Al Harrington, Austin Croshere and possibly even Lasme available for spot duty.
The Broe Knows Dont Hate....
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 28
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:24 pm
I still think playing in real nba games, be it only for 5-10 minutes is the way to go because you get a feel for the real opposition. BWright and Lasme could be real assets in particular

migya make the ring fall on ya

All Star
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:44 pm
Looks like it worked for Big 'O' :!:

They'll still play for the Warriors this year though, just have to work hard, improve, earn & make the most of their opportunities..

Lasme might surprise & flourish like Barnes.

B Wright should be able to contribute this year based on his combination of speed, skill set & length.. His strength development will help his progress/success :!:

Perovic has D-League written all over his face :mrgreen:
The Broe Knows Dont Hate....
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:55 am
Better to play on the D-League than not play at all. You can only learn so much from practice, and Nellie won't play anybody he considers a liability on the court.

Perovic is a lock, as for the other two, I think both Lasme and Wright will be there at different times during the season, and will be recalled when needed.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 53
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:48 am
O.G. Broe wrote:Looks like it worked for Big 'O' :!:

My thoughts exactly.

O'Bryant made tremendous strides in the D-League. Why let our lottery players sit on the bench and rot? Either sit them and force their development to take up to 4 or 5 seasons... or play them in D-League a full year and get back a bonafide player.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:13 pm
32 wrote:

My thoughts exactly.

O'Bryant made tremendous strides in the D-League. Why let our lottery players sit on the bench and rot? Either sit them and force their development to take up to 4 or 5 seasons... or play them in D-League a full year and get back a bonafide player.

O'bryant isn't a bonafide star.

Just think playing against the best players is better than anything else. A few games id NBDL is alright but real nba minutes and training with the team is a better way to get a handle on things here

All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:03 am
migya wrote:
32 wrote:

My thoughts exactly.

Just think playing against the best players is better than anything else. A few games id NBDL is alright but real nba minutes and training with the team is a better way to get a handle on things here

Personally, I think Wright needs to prepare physically rather than skill-wise. He's got plenty of tools to score, and one of his main flaws, from my observance, is not being familiar with the Warrior offense. I think he should remain in the NBA.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:29 am
JayPat wrote:Personally, I think Wright needs to prepare physically rather than skill-wise. He's got plenty of tools to score, and one of his main flaws, from my observance, is not being familiar with the Warrior offense. I think he should remain in the NBA.

Yeah, and also mentally. I've got no doubt about his talent, but he has to be ready for the NBA, and for that he'll need both a NBA body and mental toughness to endure the strains of pro bball.

I kinda like the idea of let him develop in the NBDL. If Nellie ain't going to use him, that's the best option.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 2:43 pm
migya wrote:
32 wrote:

My thoughts exactly.

Where, exactly, did I call O'Bryant a star...?

Even O'Bryant haters like you, who've been lobbying for his trade/release since we drafted him, have to admit the tremendous strides he's made in his game. If you aren't ready to call him "back-up worthy" (which is all I've granted him, thus far), your standards are unrealistically high.

TMC wrote:
JayPat wrote:Personally, I think Wright needs to prepare physically rather than skill-wise. He's got plenty of tools to score, and one of his main flaws, from my observance, is not being familiar with the Warrior offense. I think he should remain in the NBA.

Yeah, and also mentally. I've got no doubt about his talent, but he has to be ready for the NBA, and for that he'll need both a NBA body and mental toughness to endure the strains of pro bball.

I kinda like the idea of let him develop in the NBDL. If Nellie ain't going to use him, that's the best option.

Precisely. Wright's main problem is his frame. The kid is only 20 years old. Let him ripen in the D-League, pack on another 15 pounds, and then bring him up to contribute off the bench. Mullin signed Crosshere to a one-year deal because he realized that Wright is a year away from being a contributor. Mind you, I believe he'll probably stay in the NBA more than O'Bryant did last year (I still think Wright will have one 20-point showing this year), but if Nelson's not going to use him, let him develop against NBA bodies in the D-League.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:45 pm
32 wrote:
migya wrote:
32 wrote:

My thoughts exactly.

Where, exactly, did I call O'Bryant a star...?

Even O'Bryant haters like you, who've been lobbying for his trade/release since we drafted him, have to admit the tremendous strides he's made in his game. If you aren't ready to call him "back-up worthy" (which is all I've granted him, thus far), your standards are unrealistically high.

32 wrote:O'Bryant made tremendous strides in the D-League. Why let our lottery players sit on the bench and rot? Either sit them and force their development to take up to 4 or 5 seasons... or play them in D-League a full year and get back a bonafide player.

You said it here :wink:

O'bryant was a lottery pick and always had the talent to contribute, though maybe not that much to start with and may never have. He has a great opportunity to be the permanent backup to Biedrins

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:01 pm
I never said O'Bryant was a star. You are wrong. And, as always, unwilling to admit it. :wink:
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:03 pm
32 wrote:I never said O'Bryant was a star. You are wrong. And, as always, unwilling to admit it. :wink:

Plain old #32 :roll:

Take it easy

Franchise Player
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:08 pm
:shock: Okay.....

I like O'Bryant. :wink: :mrgreen:
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:00 pm
migya wrote:
32 wrote:I never said O'Bryant was a star. You are wrong. And, as always, unwilling to admit it. :wink:

Plain old #32 :roll:

Take it easy

...? Not mad in the least. I'm used to it. Typical miggy. :wink:

Even now, you still haven't showed me where I labeled O'Bryant a "bonafide star".
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:03 pm
He is refering to this:

32 wrote:My thoughts exactly.

Next

Return to News Articles