Houston Rockets Aquire Rafer Alston

Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 53
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 2:13 pm
Uh oh...

Just as I was writing off Houston because McGrady & Yao can't play well together, they trade Mike James for Toronto's best guard. Now with Alston running the point instead of Bob Sura (who lead Houston in assists), the Rockets may have just aquired the spark plug they needed to pull it all together.

Alston's 04'-05' stats: 14.2 ppg, 6.4 apg, 3.5 rpg
Sura's 04'-05' stats: 10.3 ppg, 5.2 apg, 5.5 rpg

Alston is an amazing playmaker with the ability to score. He's also extremely under-rated, giving him good motivation to make an impact on a playoff contending team. Regardless of whom Houston chooses to sit to make room for Alston (could be Sura, could be David Wesley), they now have one of the best benches in the league (Jon Barry, Juwan Howard, Wesley/Sura, ect). Teamed with Stromile Swift (along with, of course, Yao Ming and Tracy McGrady), Houston now looks to have a much brighter outlook, as they've just aquired a decent playmaker; something they've been lacking since Sam Cassell left in the 90's.

Look for Houston to make a bigger impact in the West now that they have someone who can distribute the ball between all their guns. Prior to the trade, I wrote them off and said they weren't a threat to the Warriors. Right now, I'm thinking differently. The only problem they had last season, to me, was that their offense seemed held back by the fact that it never truly exploded the way it could have. Alston is capable of being the spark required to blow this team up and get everybody hot on any given night. I'm thinking Houston has the potential to be bettle than Dallas this season if all goes well.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD

Role Player
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 4:38 pm
Eh, he's a good player but a locker room cancer and not the greatest playmaker.
Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 7:12 pm
I think this is a very good move for the warriors. Alston can (now) hit the three as well but he has that superstar selfishness about him but without the skills, so I say welcome aboard cowboy. The more u shoot in critical situations, the less yao gashes us inside.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 7:24 pm
... bro, the Houston Rockets signed Rafer Alston. Thats why I didn't post this in the trades section or the Warriors basketball section. That would be nice, though!
Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 7:41 pm
Player32 wrote:... bro, the Houston Rockets signed Rafer Alston. Thats why I didn't post this in the trades section or the Warriors basketball section. That would be nice, though!

I was welcoming him to houston, cause i think he is a selfish PG. Give my reading skills a little more credit than that.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 7:44 pm
Hahahaha, sorry about that!
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 28
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 6:19 am
Good point Helloman.

Player32 - I admit I haven't seen Alston play much but from what has been said he is not stable at all and thinks he is a star....... which he ain't. If he is selfish, the Rockets are screwed because they need to continue a great team system where the guys know their roles and play them well. He has a great chance to be a key player on a potential contender if he plays the right way.

All the best to him and the Rockets

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 11:12 am
People say that Rafer Alston has an attitude because that's the stereotype given to AND1 basketball players (such as the ever so famous "Skip to my Lou"... aka Alston). Give him more credit than that; he knows that being a playground legend is not the same as being an NBA legend. I give him room to be a little cocky because he is under-rated and most fans aren't aware of his amazing playing style.

If you remember what Jason Williams could do with Chris Webber back on the Kings, you're in for a treat when Rafer and McGrady get on the same page. Rafer Alston is an amazing playmaker, if nothing else. His numbers (high as they are) don't do his game justice. He's a great player (a little bit too overly excited sometimes, but one could say the same about Jason Williams). Thinking he's an NBA star is false. I agree, though, that be believes he's a star... as he is, really. There are people (myself included) who will never forget the amazing things he can do on a playground. Maybe not in the NBA fan's eyes, but street ball fans will always see him as a superstar. In that aspect, Alston has a right to think he's a star.

And the kid's also grown up a lot since coming from the New York street ball tourneys. Starting point guard for the Rockets is not only his time to shine as a starter; but it's also his time to win on a contending team that features league playboys like Yao Ming and Tracy McGrady. Rafer Alston will be televised and exposed this season. I think he'll understand it's his time to either make it or break it (and I've never known Alston to fail when challenged). I think this will be a great move for the Rockets. Even if he's not one of the league's star point guards, he's good enough to get them to the next level (ie, playing well together, which they really lacked last season). I'm looking for Houston to win more games with him in the lineup than out of it.
Role Player
PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 7:36 pm
Alston is tizight!
Mickeal Pietrus is the future.
¤º°`°º¤ø¤º°`°º¤ ¤º°`°º¤ø¤º°`°º¤

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 5:33 pm
Good! Somebody who remembers the playground legend!
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 5:25 am
But the nba is no playground! and many streetball stars have never made it in the nba

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 7:55 am
Check Alston's stats last year... he played better than a lot of point guards in the league... he may not be the NBA's definition of "star," but he's a damn good player.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 8:15 am
He is out of control! Stats are not making him look all that good either

He has a chance to be a part of a successful team this season. Hope he doesn't stuff it up!

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 10:53 am
My money is that he wont...
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 12:25 pm
Alston was a great role player for Miami two years ago, but he was awful for the Raptors. He took many ill-advised shots, didn't defend well and had problems with Sam Mitchell because of that.

If he can play like he did in Miami he'll be an improvement for the Rockets, and I think he will. Alston looks like a player that can thrive in winning teams and be a cancer on the bad ones.
Next

Return to Sports Board