Total votes : 12

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 28
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:56 am
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... GSIGVQ.DTL

Biedrins, Warriors look for solid deal
Janny Hu, Chronicle Staff Writer

Wednesday, October 3, 2007

(10-03) 04:00 PDT La'ie, Hawaii -- The thought hit Andris Biedrins soon after Troy Murphy was shipped away, sometime between seeing Adonal Foyle glued to the bench and Patrick O'Bryant still nowhere to be found.

"I guess I'm the only one," Biedrins recalled of the Warriors' big man club. "But at the beginning of the season, I couldn't have imagined I would be in that situation."

The last center standing from a year ago is now the only Warrior with a chance to cash in big this season. Golden State has until Oct. 31 to sign Biedrins to a contract extension or let him become a restricted free agent next summer.

Both Warriors vice president Chris Mullin and Bill Duffy, Biedrins' agent, anticipate talks to pick up as preseason moves along, and although neither is publicly offering any numbers, all signs point toward a deal getting done.

The Warriors have been clearing cap space for the past year and will need a good chunk of that to sign their starting center. Two years ago, Tyson Chandler netted a six-year, $63 million deal with the Bulls. Last year, the Nuggets' Nene received six years at $60 million and Clippers center Chris Kaman scored a five-year, $50 million contract.

In the skewed market for big men, Biedrins figures to be in line for a similar deal after finishing fifth in the voting behind teammate Monta Ellis for Most Improved Player honors last season. Biedrins says he isn't concerned about the process.

"That's my agent's job and he's been working on that," Biedrins said. "I'm not worried about that now. We'll see how it goes. I just go through everything and hope for the best."

The 6-foot-11 center spent the offseason working on his all-around game. Biedrins played for the Latvian National Team for the first time this summer and helped it upset Croatia in the opening game of the European Championships.

Though Latvia was eliminated after losing its next two games, Biedrins was a top performer with averages of 15 points and 10 rebounds. With the team running isolation plays for him outside the three-point line, he tried some new moves to get by defenders and to the basket.

He was particularly happy with one stat line: During the final game against Portugal, Biedrins made 10 of his 16 free-throw attempts.

Point guard Baron Davis says the Warriors "absolutely" would not have made the playoffs last season without Biedrins' rebounding, defense and passing, but he isn't limiting Biedrins' potential.

"There's so much more that he can do and we're going to rely on him to score the basketball for us this year, too," Davis said. "He showed flashes of brilliance in the post, so we're going to want to get him some looks and just implement him more into the offensive end."

Biedrins started training camp Tuesday as the Warriors' longest-tenured player, though he'll yield that title to Mickael Pietrus once the newly re-signed swingman arrives from France this week.

Again, Biedrins will be surrounded by big man hopefuls. Kosta Perovic and O'Bryant are pushing are for minutes, which could go to forwards Al Harrington and Austin Croshere if coach Don Nelson decides to use only one big man at a time.

The competition sits just fine with Biedrins, who says he won't rest on his career year, especially not after trumping the incumbent last season.

"I don't have any credits," Biedrins said. "I can't just come to training camp and just say 'OK, I played well last year.' I have to be ready and have to do better than last year."

E-mail Janny Hu at jhu@sfchronicle.com

This doesn't surprise me but think that they should wait for next offseason to resign Biedrins. Yes, some other team could offer him a truck load of money, more than what Mullin and co. will try to sign him to but the point is that the team may well perform great going small, without Biedrins in the lineup. Sounds a bit unlikely but it is nelson and he is notorious for going small often and with success. Although I think Biedrins was ESSENTIAL the first three months of last season, without which
the team would have lost much more, it is true that their late season run was without him and that is really interesting.

I want to keep him and think that going small is just not a realistic option to win a championship and would much rather see a lineup with Biedrins and BWright fully developed and dominating other teams with their height, jumping and running ability. Still, Biedrins should have to show at least one more very productive season AND some improvement, even if only slight

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:16 am
migya wrote:This doesn't surprise me but think that they should wait for next offseason to resign Biedrins.

I'd try to sign to an extension now. He's a center, and thus not easily replaceable, which means that, if he keeps improving, by this time next year we will have to pay 3 or 4 million more than now.

An offer between 45-50 million for 5 years should be enough to start negotiations now. If we wait, it may cost a lot more than that.

It sucks, but the market works like that, specially for centers.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:26 am
TMC wrote:
migya wrote:This doesn't surprise me but think that they should wait for next offseason to resign Biedrins.

I'd try to sign to an extension now. He's a center, and thus not easily replaceable, which means that, if he keeps improving, by this time next year we will have to pay 3 or 4 million more than now.

An offer between 45-50 million for 5 years should be enough to start negotiations now. If we wait, it may cost a lot more than that.

It sucks, but the market works like that, specially for centers.

I know what you're saying but I want to see more from Biedrins. Another season like the last one first. It is unlikely he will regress but there is a chance that he will not be used as much this season as last season, as the team has more big guys and versatility. Either way, he'll get signed for a big amount of money so better to be sure of what he can do than to spend on him early

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 53
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 12:30 pm
Of course, you hard ball him now. Technically, he's like Matt Barnes: he hasn't had more than ONE good season, so you don't throw the bank at him yet. See if he'll sign for $8-$10 million a year now... and if he doesn't, aggressively retain him next summer.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 3:10 pm
I voted for now and give him less than 10 million. Do a two or three year contract, and let him earn his money. Dont just hand him money for nothing.
All Star
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 4:52 pm
Now for less than 10 mil. Anything under 10 for him is a steal. If he isn't having it I'd probably budge to maybe 11 a year. However, I'd lock him up for 5 to 6 years for that kind of money. Young, talented, unselfish big men are VERY hard to come by and to get one of his caliber for 10 mil(ish) would be a coup.

All Star
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 6:35 pm
id say now for 10 mil or less but a decently long contract like 5 years. if we give him 10 mil for only 3 years then itll cost hella more to re-sign him after that. if we wait until next year it might cost us a lot more like TMC said.
"the victorious warrior wins first, and then goes to war; the defeated warrior goes to war first, and hopes to win."- The Art of War

Franchise Player
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:17 pm
What happens if he is a bust? If he turns out to be crap, and never develops to anything more than a bench player? I say that we should give him a medium contract, three or four years, and if he is still really good and proves that he is worth the money, then you go for 6 years or so.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:21 pm
Thunder wrote:Now for less than 10 mil. Anything under 10 for him is a steal. If he isn't having it I'd probably budge to maybe 11 a year. However, I'd lock him up for 5 to 6 years for that kind of money. Young, talented, unselfish big men are VERY hard to come by and to get one of his caliber for 10 mil(ish) would be a coup.

It'd be great getting him for under 10 million and ofcourse, locking him up for at least 5years would good too, but he is not quite a sure thing yet, sure he's unlikely to get worse but still not a sure thing. I reckon if he performas well this season, with slight improvements at least, he is worth 12 million a year for 6 years,lock him up for as long term as possible but make him earn it first

Franchise Player
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:13 pm
I agree

All Star
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:39 pm
but you still gotta consider the fact that we gotta extend baron. if we could get biedrins to sign now for under 10 mill then it helps us with barons contract situation. if we wait til next season then we end up paying him more and we have less for baron. realize its unlikely that we'll get another pg that will run this team like baron. there is no pg like baron out there and the ones that come close are young franchise players for there respective teams (deron williams and chris paul).
"the victorious warrior wins first, and then goes to war; the defeated warrior goes to war first, and hopes to win."- The Art of War

Franchise Player
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:52 pm
But like I said above, are you willing to take the risk to give a guy 10, 12 million dollars for not really proving himself? A lot can happen in a year. If we play to have our contractual issues work around Baron, what will we do if Baron gets some really bad injury in the middle of the year? What will you do if you shell out 10 million to Andris, and he never develops more than what he has. I'm not negative to Andris, but I'm just not sure if I would give him a long term contract for the sake of keeping Baron on the team. We should be planning our team around Monta and Andris, not Baron.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:43 pm
EMan32 wrote:but you still gotta consider the fact that we gotta extend baron. if we could get biedrins to sign now for under 10 mill then it helps us with barons contract situation. if we wait til next season then we end up paying him more and we have less for baron. realize its unlikely that we'll get another pg that will run this team like baron. there is no pg like baron out there and the ones that come close are young franchise players for there respective teams (deron williams and chris paul).

The difference in signing Biedrins now or next offseason is marginal, nothing major, still will be a fir amount of money but that's how it is with good Centers. The point is getting him to perform well again this season and being more sure about him

All Star
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:56 pm
give him 10M and one big house in BayArea....that's it :mrgreen:
Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:07 pm
Personally, I think Biedrins is a lock and already one of the best centers in the league. He has improved every year, even this offseason, and he’s still so young. I’d agree with an 8 to 10 for, say, 3 to 4 years to limit our liability (just in case) and see if he bites. And if he really pans out, then shell out later. If not, then we take our gamble and wait, but really let him know that we intend to keep him. Because how many teams will be under the cap next year to really shell out big money to sign to RFA? Also, he wants to stay, and that's always a good thing.
Next

Return to News Articles