WARRIOR GAINING STRENGTH

Area for news articles related to the Warriors

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 28
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 5:59 am
Because you know that there is a greater chance that they will still be good, if not better, in 10 years!

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 53
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 8:01 am
Exactly! I loved Brian Cardinal a year or two back because he reminded me so much of the spontaneous, skilled play that used to take place in the 80's. I've never seen a guy throw his body on the floor, make so many routine jumpers, play aggressive defense, and hustle on every play like Cardinal did. Letting him go was something I frowned upon. Was he going to be a star? Who knows... but he worked his ass off every play of every game, so you knew he was going to be an asset to the team. If it wasn't for his knee, I think the Warriors would have kept him.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD

Role Player
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 10:25 am
I think it's great that he's finally putting on muscle and plans to work harder. Whether he's doing it for the money or doing it cause he sees a chance to win, it doesn't matter. He finally found motivation. That means he either steps up or stays the same and either way that's good for the warriors. He can help us win and that's all that matters now. The nba is a business first and foremost if he wants to try his hardest now to get paid then so be it. We can always sign and trade his ass or we can finally have a dunleavy we drafted. Whatever happens it's progress and we shouldn't worry about what an asshole he is, how lazy he's been, or how much potential was wasted these three years. There will be three things that may happen 1)he becomes better-warriors start winning and we'll have a chance to re-sign, trade, or clear a spot on the roster 2) He becomes average-we keep him or trade him 3)he gets worst - then we know what he's really worth and can do what we have to.
Whichever happens we come up...If he truely is working his ass off then he's showing all his cards. Now at least we will see what he's capable of.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 11:04 am
The reason I don't like it is because I only think it will last one season before he gets lazy again. Once his contract is signed and he has a set amount of money he makes, regardless of how many wins the Warriors have, then the said motivation you mentioned earlier evaporates and we have the same Mike Dunleavy we've had for 3 years now. I'm tired of it. If he plays well both this year and next, I'll have changed my mind. Until that happens, I'll never fully believe in Mike Dunleavy.

Role Player
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 8:53 pm
but then we trade him...other teams will bite because he showcased his talent, and will probably write it off as motivation w/ his current squad.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 9:47 pm
I dunno if we'd be able to trade him then. A larger contract is always harder to trade away. Right now would be perfect to deal him because he's making less than 5 million a year and we could get a decent player because Dunleavy still has potential. Once we resign him for more money, it'll be tougher to find a team willing to take him (especially if teams start thinking he has a motivation problem, like you mentioned).

Regardless, I think the fact that he's finally showing up for a regular season (and it just happens to be his contract season) is lazy. I don't understand how anyone can disagree that waiting until your 3rd year in the NBA to give it your all is wrong. Purposely training half assed until the almighty dollar is on the line shouldn't be rewarded because of one breakout season. I understand that basketball is a business, sure, but that's just low in my opinion (especially if he slows down again after the ink's on the paper).
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 12:49 am
Absolutely right..............

Role Player
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 6:48 pm
Yeah i definitely agree with you it's bad business to have that kind of work ethic and i think if he did train hard now and later gets lazy, i'm pretty sure his fate is sealed. then i would doubt any team would take him on...the warriors would be in a difficult position...it's hard to say how this will turn out, and it really all depends on what kind of contract the warriors will offer...mike d could get what he wants(the cash) if he actually does this and become another waived player...
But personally i really doubt that he's in the game because he wants to get paid, this guy wants to win...he's already well off, i doubt that's his major motivation...but yes, you are right on many points...
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 10:44 am
Well, I do agree that Mike does want to win. Who doesn't? But I believe that he did set himself up for a contract season breakout.

All I'm saying is that he's not going to be straining himself to have a breakout season this year because the bar was never set too high to begin with. After 3 season of crap, Mike might actually give us gold this season. We'll all be amazed... but all I'm saying is that he should have been doing this years ago.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 7:52 pm
Better be ready = Or it's his NECK!

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 10:18 am
... you mean it's his wallet, right? If he doesn't show up to play, no one's signing his pasty ass to any long term deals (especially not the Warriors).
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 6:14 am
Cetainly hope not - Will teach him to play hard and not ask for a big contract!

If he plays rather bad and is happy with taking 3 million a year - Not so bad, I'd take him, but any further lackluster shiit and I would cut him off the team!

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 10:57 am
Oh, no doubt. I've never said Mike Dunleavy was a bad player, I just think he plays below his potential. I'd say 4 or 5 million (at the most) a season, coming off the bench for Pietrus, would make him a greater asset to this team. But overpaying him would be a mistake because he'll never be a superstar (whereas Pietrus may be one day).

Role Player
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 8:14 pm
I want to just trade dunleavy and never hear his name again but it sounds like they're gonna re-sign him.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 9:21 pm
Resigning him for a role that wont help the team (plus overpaying him) would do nothing but hurt the Warriors. I hope they do this right.
PreviousNext

Return to News Articles