Mickeal Pietrus
71%
Mike Dunleavy
29%

Total votes : 28

Rookie
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 1:24 am
jsw548 wrote:Ya know Big W, after reading your analysis I can't help but wonder if Dunleavy's father should have trained him more like Robert Duvall trained his son in The Great Santini. Maybe being pushed around, bullied and having a basketball bounced repeatedly off of his noggin would have toughened him up a bit. I think your on to something that makes sense when you say how dissappointing he is considering all the advantages he has been given.

You can see he's learned the things you can teach in a clinic, but you don't see the things that you are taught in years of having your ass kicked in street ball at the corner park. No fouls, lot's of pushing and shoving and talking about your mama, which always fires you up.

Great analysis on your part!

Nice job of putting words in my mouth, but completely inaccurate. My point was that he hasn't learned the all the things you can teach in a clinic, like post up moves. It's inexcusable for a 6'9" SF not to be able to take a 6'6" or 6'5" defender into the paint and abuse them with post moves. Ike Diogu was at Pete Newell's big man camp last week, where was Dunleavy?

My argument was that he has had the best possible upbringing for basketball, so I don't how you derive that he would have been better with a tougher father or with more "street". Why don't you can the sarcasm and actually refute my points if you disagree?
Last edited by BigW on Sun Sep 11, 2005 1:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rookie
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 1:40 am
jsw548 wrote:Ya know Big W, after reading your analysis I can't help but wonder if Dunleavy's father should have trained him more like Robert Duvall trained his son in The Great Santini. Maybe being pushed around, bullied and having a basketball bounced repeatedly off of his noggin would have toughened him up a bit. I think your on to something that makes sense when you say how dissappointing he is considering all the advantages he has been given.

You can see he's learned the things you can teach in a clinic, but you don't see the things that you are taught in years of having your ass kicked in street ball at the corner park. No fouls, lot's of pushing and shoving and talking about your mama, which always fires you up.

Great analysis on your part!

After rereading your post, I realized that there a possibility that you weren't being sarcastic. If you were being sarcastic, I salute you for being clever enough to dance along the border so well. If you were being straight...

As a father I would rather have a well adjusted kid who's a mediocre NBA player than a mentally F-ed up All-star, so I can't really sanction the Great Santini approach. A little more street ball wouldn't have hurt, but I don't see toughness as Dunleavy's primary problem. He can be a little tenative when he drives to the basket, but he does force himself to do it when its there, he had a couple nice dunks last year where it looked like the defender was about to snap his skinny ass like a toothpick.

Now that I mention it, hitting the weight room a bit more wouldn't hurt Dunleavy either, if he could pull a Maggette and come back ripped next season without losing any atheleticism, then he could really start taking advantage of his size at SF and stop being tenative on dunks.
Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 7:31 am
Its Dunleavy's contract year, so expect him in the best shape of his life.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 25
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 10:27 am
Don't see him being great because the team has so many other talented players and he is not one of the first three options offensively, but if he does play relatively well, being a contract year, hard to trust whether any sort of intensity that this guy shows will ever be repeated! So far he has shown little intensity and is rather "soft". He can very well return to be this way after receiving guaranteed money!!!!

migya make the ring fall on ya

All Star
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 12:22 pm
Of course now, since we can ship people to the NBDL to develop like in the NHL or MLB, we have a lot more options. The HS player Ellis might be one candidate.

Tim
"The only yardstick for success our society has is being a champion. No one remembers anything else."
-John Madden
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 12:48 pm
TKono, I love that signature. However, I'd probably include Tom Gugliotta (for Webber? What a joke), John Starks (Sprewell's replacement? Kick in the balls to Spree), Donyell Marshall (Franchise player my ass), Joe Smith (has there EVER been a worst #1 pick?) and Todd Fuller (Worst center EVER in the NBA) under the bad part. Just a suggestion :-)
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD

Rookie
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 3:23 pm
I have been disappointed with Dunleavy from day one. He seems unhappy to be on the Warriors and doesnt work and play to his potentail.

Mickeal Pietrus all the way, he knows and wants to work. We need more men like him.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 4:29 pm
To be honest, if Dunleavy could find a role, such as what Brent Barry did in Seattle and might also do in San Antonio, he would have some sort of value for the Warriors but that hasn't happened yet!

All Star
Poster Credit: 5
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 5:39 pm
mullin is no spring chicken. motegomery is. mullin is feelin dunleavys game. 13ppg 5reb 2.5 apg. if pietrus outplays him he'll be in starting lineup soon enough... dunleavy is polished which bodes well with freakish athletes like baron and jrich and pietrus for that matter. he will deserve to start soon because he's gonna get a consistent shot and he can be a shutdown defender. i know he's going to be really good. when this happens dunleavy will come off the bench and win some 6th man awards.
"Losing is inevitably close to winning," Guber said. "They're inches apart. Drama. If you have drama, you've got a ticket to sell." "They're not real fans," Lacob said. "They don't have season tickets."
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 5:43 pm
6th man awards are all well and good, but Mike shouldn't be starting by the end of this season. Pietrus' game not only fits better into Baron Davis' offense, but he puts up near-as-good of numbers COMING OFF THE BENCH that Dunleavy puts up as a starter. Give Mickael the minutes. He'll do more with them.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 6:53 pm
Not so sure Dunleavy would accept coming off the bench. Think he'd rather leave!

AND

So he should!!!!

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 7:53 pm
Oh, by all the means. Show the guy the door. Kick his ass into the cold. Slam the door on his ass. By all means, let him go... I'm just saying Pietrus would be a better choice overall for the starting 3.

All Star
Poster Credit: 5
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 10:02 pm
sure dunleavy could hit the jack pot with some weak team with salary cap space, get a fat deal, and be a starter. that wouldnt bode well for his career because it'd only be known as a bust. but knowing dunleavy is smart since he did attend duke, he would stay here and accept a role with the W's, the next power-house coming from the west side. maybe if mike d graduated from UNLV i'd expect him to act a fool. i think mullin would trade him way before he let him get away as a free agent. dunleavy will have to really blossom this year because theres healthy competition amongst him.
"Losing is inevitably close to winning," Guber said. "They're inches apart. Drama. If you have drama, you've got a ticket to sell." "They're not real fans," Lacob said. "They don't have season tickets."
Role Player
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 4:52 am
It is obvious that Warriors will decide in the end of this year. The fact they didn't made a new contract proposal 2 Dun says a lot. The fact they didn't trade him may be a hint. I believe they give both of them the last chance to win the next big contract in the end of this year.,

Mullin is the Ultimate Warrior
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 6:13 am
Player32 wrote:Oh, by all the means. Show the guy the door. Kick his ass into the cold. Slam the door on his ass. By all means, let him go... I'm just saying Pietrus would be a better choice overall for the starting 3.

Feed him to the dogs even! Ain't too much of him but what the heck! HAHA

The most probable thing is that he might get traded midseason which, if Warriors get someone alright, is not a bad move.

Trading him for a future 1st round pick will do!

PreviousNext

Return to Warriors Basketball