49ers vs Raiders

Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 2:11 am
xbaywarrior wrote:I don't even care about Smiley. I've been waiting for the day Baas starts full time. I liked him ever since we drafted him during that Smith, Baas, Gore 1-2-3 round draft year.

I never understood why Bass wasn't starting for you, guys. I doubt Smiley is good enough to keep him on the bench, although I must admit I haven't followed Smiley's career that close.
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 2:13 am
Well Nolan stated at the around the draft that he wanted to get bigger on the o-line ruling out Kwame Harris and Justin Smiley as suspects to not wear red and gold by next year. There were actually rumors that the Niners offered Harris and Smiley in a bunch of trades to move around in the draft more.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 2:19 am
xbaywarrior wrote:There were actually rumors that the Niners offered Harris and Smiley in a bunch of trades to move around in the draft more.

Eh... well, not surprised they weren't traded, then. The whole league knows Harris sucks. Maybe you could get a 6th rounder for Smiley for next year's draft, tho, but not more.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 7:53 am
Well, we wouldnt do a sign-and-trade with him. You do know that he is a free agent after this year, right? He will walk, sign with Washington, and we will start David Baas, one of the toughest lineman we have, with the best name. :headbang:
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 1:00 pm
sfsfsfgiants wrote:Well, we wouldnt do a sign-and-trade with him. You do know that he is a free agent after this year, right? He will walk, sign with Washington, and we will start David Baas, one of the toughest lineman we have, with the best name. :headbang:

Yeah, but he can be traded til week 6, right?. If he's gonna leave, you might as well try to get something for him...
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 4:46 pm
They wont do anything until the offseason. Trades during the regular season need to follow the cap rules, while in the offseason, you can change it around a little bit. I expect him to be gone without a trade.

By the way, he played like shiat today.
Poster Credit: 19
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 9:53 pm
sfsfsfgiants wrote:They wont do anything until the offseason. Trades during the regular season need to follow the cap rules, while in the offseason, you can change it around a little bit. I expect him to be gone without a trade.

By the way, he played like shiat today.
Trades in the off season need to follow cap rules as well, they are just more likely than in season trades because players need to learn new systems and that's what 75% of training camp is about. unless teams are desperate to acquire or unload a player, we are approaching the desperation stage after this week. within a week or so would be a good time to make something happen since we have the bye week right around the corner.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 10:04 pm
But, like I said, it is more managable because you have people leaving and coming in. You have cap money to throw around, which is why you see a lot of name players getting traded in the offseason, and at the draft. Randy Moss comes to mind. You will hardly ever see a major player getting traded in the middle of a year.
Poster Credit: 19
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 11:00 pm
sfsfsfgiants wrote:But, like I said, it is more managable because you have people leaving and coming in. You have cap money to throw around, which is why you see a lot of name players getting traded in the offseason, and at the draft. Randy Moss comes to mind. You will hardly ever see a major player getting traded in the middle of a year.
True, but we still have lots of cap room if we wanted. It wont happen though.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 2:29 am
sfsfsfgiants wrote:You will hardly ever see a major player getting traded in the middle of a year.

True, but we aren't exactly talking about a major name. The Bucs use to make trades during the season (Rattay comes to mind) and a few other teams are starting to do them, too... Not saying it's gonna happen, tho.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:52 pm
Smiley is more of a name than Rattay was. Rattay was given a chance, couldnt step it up, and was old. Smiley is still only 25 or so, and he hasnt gotten as good as he can be.

Rookie
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:50 am
xbaywarrior wrote:They're our two best lineman. I seriously don't know how our line would be without them.

Are you talking about Larry Allen? He's far from our best lineman right now. He actually quite honestly might be our worst lineman. He's lets up on his run blocks early and his pass protection is piss poor. He reached the Pro Bowl last year on reputation alone because if they actually watched the film they'd see him letting guys run by him to get to the QB. He's one of the main reasons we allowed 6 sacks in one half vs the Seahawks.
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -7
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:51 pm
Four08Warrior wrote: He's one of the main reasons we allowed 6 sacks in one half vs the Seahawks.

That and the fact that the Seahawk are just THAT GOOD! :-o
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 3:08 pm
Four08Warrior wrote:
xbaywarrior wrote:They're our two best lineman. I seriously don't know how our line would be without them.

Are you talking about Larry Allen? He's far from our best lineman right now. He actually quite honestly might be our worst lineman. He's lets up on his run blocks early and his pass protection is piss poor. He reached the Pro Bowl last year on reputation alone because if they actually watched the film they'd see him letting guys run by him to get to the QB. He's one of the main reasons we allowed 6 sacks in one half vs the Seahawks.

He is a great run blocker. He never has been a really good pass blocker, and he added some weight. He just was really bad on Sunday, but I think that he will come around.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 3:08 pm
badabing8888 wrote:That and the fact that the Seahawk are just THAT GOOD! :-o

Umm................ no. :mrgreen: :wink:
PreviousNext

Return to Sports Board