Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:40 am
Baseball Barry Bonds hit for home run No. 756 to be branded with an asterisk
By RICK FREEMAN, AP Sports Writer
September 26, 2007

NEW YORK (AP) -- The ball Barry Bonds hit for his record-breaking 756th home run will be branded with an asterisk and sent to the Baseball Hall of Fame, its owner said Wednesday.

Fashion designer Marc Ecko, who bought the ball in an online auction, set up a Web site for fans to vote on the ball's fate, and the decision to brand it won out over the other options, sending it to the museum unblemished or launching it into space.

"We're going to be working with the folks at the Hall of Fame," Ecko said on NBC's "Today" show.

Ecko, whom Bonds called "an idiot" last week, had the winning bid Sept. 15 in the online auction for the ball that Bonds hit Aug. 7 to break Hank Aaron's record of 755 home runs. The final selling price was $752,467, well above most predictions that assumed Bonds' status as a lightning rod for the steroids debate in baseball would depress the value.

The asterisk suggests that Bonds' record is tainted by alleged steroid use. The slugger has denied knowingly using performance-enhancing drugs. Fans brought signs with asterisks on them to ballparks as he neared Aaron's hallowed mark.

Hall of Fame president Dale Petroskey, also interviewed on the show, said accepting the ball did not mean the Hall endorses the viewpoint that Barry Bonds used drugs.

"We're happy to get it," he said. "We're a nonprofit history museum, so this ball wouldn't be coming to Cooperstown without Marc Ecko buying it from the fan who caught it."

The Giants announced Friday they will part with Bonds after this season, the seven-time NL MVP's 15th in San Francisco and 22nd in the majors.

I think this was just a bid by ecko to get in the news.....a 750,000 dollar bid.
ImageImage
All Star
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:54 am
As much marketing and exposure that he got though it was a bargain.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 3:28 pm
He is a media whore who needs to shut his f'n mouth. Brand him with an asterick.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 6:09 pm
Let's burn all his clothing to shreds. 32 came up with that idea and I'm still down for it.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 6:40 pm
Fine with me. :mrgreen:
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 2:15 am
xbaywarrior wrote:Let's burn all his clothing to shreds. 32 came up with that idea and I'm still down for it.

Pics, please. You may even take a few to use them as avatars and signatures. :mrgreen:
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 3:46 pm
Hook us up, Drew. :mrgreen:
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:52 am
All I can say is, Marc Ecko, prepare to be fucked by the entire Bay Area.

I know I, for one, will never buy Ecko brand ANYTHING again. And I hope I'm not the only one.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Poster Credit: 19
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:57 am
32 wrote:All I can say is, Marc Ecko, prepare to be fucked by the entire Bay Area.

I know I, for one, will never buy Ecko brand ANYTHING again. And I hope I'm not the only one.
Not singling you out 32 or anything, but why? because he disrespected Bonds? Are you going to stop listening to ESPN radio, watching ESPN, reading SI, ESPN the Mag, Sporting News, and virtually every sports publication in the world? Because last time I checked it, nearly everyone outside the bay hate Bonds and has shiited on him at one point. I wear Echo, and I will continue to wear Echo, not because I like Marc Ecko, but because I couldn't give a fuuck less. For the same reason I wont wear someone clothes just because I like them, I like Jay-Z but would be caught dead wearing Rockawear.

I'm just wondering what everyone's reasoning behind burning his clothes would be. Not saying it's a bad idea, hey it's your clothes (or not). Oh-yeah, and I'm a Bonds fan, but no longer a supporter - thin line there, and I agree that this is just a media stunt.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 11:29 am
There's a difference between bad-mouthing somebody (as the case in ESPN) and permanently scarring the physical representation of a man's life's work. Whether you like Bonds or not, the point is irrelevant. Desecrating something that obviously means so much to one individual is wrong. Its being needlessly cruel to somebody that Ecko, in reality, has never even met.

I'm not excusing ESPN or any other form of media that's bashed Bonds (as, I believe, they are to blame for the outcome of the vote, honestly), but its not even in the same ballpark. This would be like taking the game ball from Brett Favre's last game and branding a giant, red * into it. That's a bit f*cked up, don't you think?

Continue to wear Ecko at your own disgression. I refuse to support a product owned by somebody that will be needlessly cruel to his fellow human being purely for publicity's sake. I think its wrong and I hope Marc Ecko gets shot (no exhaggeration).
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD

All Star
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:59 pm
Whew...Dam.... I don't want funk with you 32 8-[ Fuk Eckhoe

............../´¯/)...........(¯`\
............/....//..............\....\
.........../....//................\....\
...../´¯/..../´¯.........../¯`....¯`\
.././.../..../..../.|_......_|...............
(.(....(....(..../.)..)..(..(.....)....)....).)
................./.../......./................/
................... /........................../
..................(............)............../
............................../............./

Did anybody notice Bonds son was wearing a Eckhoe shirt on Bonds last game :scratch:
The Broe Knows Dont Hate....
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:38 pm
32 wrote:There's a difference between bad-mouthing somebody (as the case in ESPN) and permanently scarring the physical representation of a man's life's work. Whether you like Bonds or not, the point is irrelevant. Desecrating something that obviously means so much to one individual is wrong. Its being needlessly cruel to somebody that Ecko, in reality, has never even met.

I'm not excusing ESPN or any other form of media that's bashed Bonds (as, I believe, they are to blame for the outcome of the vote, honestly), but its not even in the same ballpark. This would be like taking the game ball from Brett Favre's last game and branding a giant, red * into it. That's a bit f*cked up, don't you think?

Continue to wear Ecko at your own disgression. I refuse to support a product owned by somebody that will be needlessly cruel to his fellow human being purely for publicity's sake. I think its wrong and I hope Marc Ecko gets shot (no exhaggeration).

I agree with that.
All Star
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 7:15 pm
32 wrote:I think its wrong and I hope Marc Ecko gets shot (no exhaggeration).

That's rational.

Shouldn't more creedence be given to the fact that this was put up to a vote and the general population decided the outcome? It isn't like Ecko went out of the way to force the branding on it (although it is admittedly shady to have 2 out of 3 options be negative) - America still had to pull the trigger. I'm not saying don't be mad at the guy because he did load the gun by putting it to vote and layin gout the options. What I am saying is that the general populus should be the target of some of this outrage since really they pulled the trigger.

It also seems strange to say that this is the scarring of a man's life work. I would doubt Bonds would give any notion that the ball itself is a representation of such. Merely it is an artifact of the time that will be scarred by the sentiment of the time.
All Star
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 7:48 pm
On a brighter note, you might be happy to hear about this:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=a ... &type=lgns
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 7:53 pm
Good for him. Sort of a new respect I have for him. :thumbup:
Next

Return to Sports Board