What's the position that needs the most help?

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Which position needs the most improvement on the Warrior's starting 5?

Center - Adonal needs some back-up (or, better yet, lets make HIM a back-up to someone better)
81%
Power Forward - Troy and Ike are decent, but we need someone who's gonna make an impact right away
10%
Small Forward - I'm tired of waiting on Mike, Calbert's too old, and Pietrus needs more development time. We need help.
5%
Shooting guard - Jason Richardson needs a more capable back-up for when he sits down. Mickael is good, but lets look for other options.
No votes
Point Guard - ... honestly, I dunno why you'd pick this one. Baron Davis is an all-star and Fisher would start on pretty much any other NBA team without Bibby, Kidd, Nash, or someone of the like. Explain yourself for picking this.
5%

Total votes : 21

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 25
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 5:02 am
Though I think Biedrins looks great and is the best choice for Center "this season", if Taft trys hard (many reviews say he doesn't all that much) then he could be the man. He has the height, skills and STRENGTH (which Biedrins doesn't have yet).

Taft could be something but the Warriors really do have a few guys that could be an option at center this season, including Murphy so Diogu can start at PF

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 8:26 am
Odds are, they'll start Adonal for the jump ball, then throw in Ike to play power forward after a couple minutes (kinda like what Dallas did with Shawn Bradley a few years back). Their small line-up will be their best line-up, but it probably wont make it to the starting rotation until midseason.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 6:03 pm
That sounds about right but I would like Diogu to be given a chance to start or atleast get some 25mins a game by the second month if he shows that is he is worth it - Foyle just won't be more than what he has been!

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 7:52 pm
Oh, don't worry. Ike will get decent playing time; I just don't think he'll start. The Warriors gave Foyle too much money to bring him off the bench. The only reason Fisher's sitting is because Baron's got a bigger contract (combined with the fact that he's a superstar).
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 4:23 am
I can see Diogu not getting much more than 20 minutes unfortunately, though I hope he gets much more and starts before the end of the season.

Foyle may be overused and Murphy may get over 35 minutes. Also Zarko might be used a bit at PF and take more time away from Ike. If Taft shows great ability, he too might eat in to the court time, which I think is fine because he too has great skills, offensively and defensively, much like Ike Diogu!

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 10:19 am
I don't think Ike will start this season (as much as I'd love him too). Regardless, I think he'll be the number one pick off the bench to sit Murphy (or even Adonal at some points during the game). Even though he may only average 20 minutes a game, if he makes his presence felt, he could get it kicked up to 25-30 a game. I really don't think he'll start, though... not unless we see some of those 37 points in one half ordeals like he pulled over the summer. If those start happening, look for Ike to grab the job from Troy.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 4:23 pm
If Diogu can be a great defender, I'd rather have Murphy at starting center and Diogu at starting PF. Murphy's rebounding and shooting is a real asset and Foyle's defense could be replaced by Diogu

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 5:45 pm
But, at the same time, Ike's only 6'8". Sure, he can block shots, but not in the same way as Adonal. And we don't even know how well his old shot-blocking skills will work against much taller NBA teams. I'd bring him off the bench until we know more. Troy Murphy will start the season off, but he has a little competition for his job. Adonal should start purely because he's a shot-blocking big man, but should be taken out early so Ike can get in and kick ass.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 6:55 pm
Ike has 7ft 4in armspan! That is amazing and allows him to be a good shot blocker.

True that more needs to be seen of Diogu before he starts but if he does perform realy well, there should be no hesitation in putting him as starter and taking Foyle out since he is the weakest starter!

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 7:51 pm
I agree about takig Foyle out midseason... but I have a hard time starting Troy Murphy as our "rock in the middle" with a straight face. I think Ike's going to have to compete with Troy, not Adonal, for the starting job.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 6:04 am
I just figure that Foyle is such a liability offensively and that you have to go with the best lineup you can. If Murphy can play center better than Biedrins (for now I think he can but in the future I reckon Biedrins) then he should go center and Diogu PF.
Be good if Murphy could get some sort of defensive skill........... That is a major weakness and stands out too much at his position, especially against guys like Amare, Garnett and Duncan!

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 3:04 pm
I agree with going for the best line-up we can... that's why I'd say keep in Foyle (at least for a little while). He's a liability on offense, sure, but I think we have enough weapons to pick up the slack. Inside defense is a problem with us (especially when Murphy's in the line-up), so I'd say to rotate Ike in for the first part of the season and (if he proves to be a tough inside defender) maybe start him by the end of the season. I do seriously doubt that they'll start Ike Diogu this season, though, unless there's an injury.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 5:39 am
If Diogu can block shots like the reviews say he can - One review said that he has the ability to the lead the league in blocks - then he can replace Foyle with the defense and Murphy can stay in for shooting and rebounding. Just far better without Foyle, the liability offensively

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 8:20 am
Sure, he has the ability... but lets be real for a minute: Chris Mullin is counting on an undersized power-forward who's NOT named Charles Barkly to continue dominating the NBA the same way he dominated a weak Pac-10 league last year.

Can he rebound? Probably.

Can he score inside? Most likely.

Can he block shots? ... that's harder to answer because he's 6'8" (with a 7'4" wingspan). I think he can swat players that are his same size (or within an inch), but most power forwards in the league are about 6'10". Ike's 2 or 3 inches smaller than the majority of the 4's in the league. Shot-blocking should be a bonus; not an expectation.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 6:52 am
Reviews have said that he was a good shot blocker in college and that he can guard a guy much bigger than him, both because of his strength and his wingspan of 7ft 4in !!!!! That's enough to make him able to block guys much bigger than him definately!

PreviousNext

Return to Warriors Basketball