What's the position that needs the most help?

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Which position needs the most improvement on the Warrior's starting 5?

Center - Adonal needs some back-up (or, better yet, lets make HIM a back-up to someone better)
81%
Power Forward - Troy and Ike are decent, but we need someone who's gonna make an impact right away
10%
Small Forward - I'm tired of waiting on Mike, Calbert's too old, and Pietrus needs more development time. We need help.
5%
Shooting guard - Jason Richardson needs a more capable back-up for when he sits down. Mickael is good, but lets look for other options.
No votes
Point Guard - ... honestly, I dunno why you'd pick this one. Baron Davis is an all-star and Fisher would start on pretty much any other NBA team without Bibby, Kidd, Nash, or someone of the like. Explain yourself for picking this.
5%

Total votes : 21

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 1:44 pm
I personally think the Warriors are helpless at the 5 spot on offense. People think Adonal's hook improves every season and, I admit, he blocks shots like a pro, but I'm tired of waiting on him to become more than just an NCAA all-time blocked shots leader. We need someone who can play in the NBA.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD

Rookie
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 2:18 pm
I agree foyle cant play offense but i would still stick with him as a starter purely for the defensive side to him. Our entire team is based on offense, he can make a layup and put some garbage back in, so i say let the man play good D and start. Davis, richardson, dunleavy and murphy are all offensive minded. I would take foyle over other centers who can score a little more and play worse D.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 3:42 pm
I'd stick with Adonal if the game was purely based on defense, but I don't think anyone would bring his name up as far as centers they'd want on their team for a starter. If he has no offensive game, then he should at least be the best defensive center in the league (which he's not, that would be Ben Wallace). I don't think he's a bad reserve, but I do think we need another starter. And I'd also say we're sort of short handed at that spot, wouldn't you agree? Who's the backup center? Zarko? We need help at the 5.

You forgot to vote, by the way
Last edited by 32 on Tue Sep 20, 2005 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rookie
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 3:51 pm
We need a legitimate center. It is not Foyle obviously.
Our rebounding was the worst last season. We dont just need a blocker, but also a scorer and a center who can run with our backcourt.
Go Warriors!!
All Star
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 10:28 am
Foyle is a legitimate backup center, but he will never be a solid starter in the league. Right now I would say that center is the wekaest position because of Foyle starting but two years from now that might not be the case-- Biedrins has shown that he can play inside with anyone and should be a good to great center in a short time. Even though the Warriors have a problem at center depth now I think the dumbest thing they could do is go dump a lot of money on some average guy that has already met his potential and give up trying to resign the talent that they have right now.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 11:31 am
Well, Thunder, I hate to break it to you, but they did exactly that a year ago when they resigned Foyle for all that cash. Like you said, an average player who's already met his potential. Until Zeus strikes Adonal Foyle with a lightening bolt and transforms him into something that can score, rebound, run, pass, and be more aware on offense, then I only see an average center who's going to be nothing more than a legit shot-blocker his whole career.

Terrific to throw in there as a change-up off the bench... but, unfortunately, the Warriors have him starting.
All Star
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 7:07 pm
Thanks for the insight. Gee, Foyle is an average player and was signed for too much money? Wow, I never thought of it that way.

Clearly resigning Foyle for that amount was a bad idea and I was trying to make the point that doing something like that again would be devastating to the development of the team. Let me make this clear: Center is the weakest position because of Foyle. I think he is a good backup, but a sup par starter.

Role Player
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 7:37 pm
I think he is a below average player who is payed WAY TO MUCH. Im going with all of you guys though i cant stand foyle.
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 31
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 4:49 am
Your blind if you think it's the Centre position. Adonal Foyle is solid and Biedrins is the future. Troy Murphy. Chris Taft and Zarko should be able to rotate into the 5 now and then.

But i think it's the 4 that's most importtant. I say this because of the monsters like Amare, Duncan. Garnett and Elton Brand. The West has these dominating 4's and the fact is no one can gaurd them.

I think Adonal needs to go to 4 because his probably the best player on the Warriors to give Tim Ducan and Amare Stoudamire's FG percentage headaches!

All Star
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 9:06 am
tpensky wrote:I agree foyle cant play offense but i would still stick with him as a starter purely for the defensive side to him.

I guess that all depends on who we are playing. If the coach feels we can "run it up the gut" on a team to start then I think Foyle should sit. If the coach feels that we should "weather the storm", then he should start Foyle. It all depends.

Foyles defense is solid. However, his offense is what is really lacking IMHO. He also needs to shoot better from the Free throw line in order to be a help on Offense and the granny (although might be soooo embarassing) should help him. Although he has a blip on the radar in terms of offense, I'd rather not wait 2 or 3 games for that blip to appear...

I think Murphy and Diogu are good for the 4 already.. though a rook playing against the likes of good PFs is a bit scary... That is where team defense sorta helps... As for Duncan, he can play center too.

Tim
"The only yardstick for success our society has is being a champion. No one remembers anything else."
-John Madden

Rookie
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 12:14 pm
The Warriors need help at the Center position the most. The problem is not that Foyle is just a average center, which he is. It is not that he was paid waaay to much, which he was not. He was paid a fair amount for that position, about the league average for someone who plays center. The problem is that their are not very many centers in the NBA, therefore they are in high demand with a small supply. Hence, their inflated salaries. Biendrins might be the solution and how lucky would the Warriors be if that was the case. If he is not the solution who else is available and not overpriced? Nobody that is why Foyle is not that bad.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 2:15 pm
pawnograffiti wrote:Your blind if you think it's the Centre position. Adonal Foyle is solid and Biedrins is the future. Troy Murphy. Chris Taft and Zarko should be able to rotate into the 5 now and then.!

If Troy Murphy started at center, we'd be playing with a 6'11" power forward who's game on offense would work (he'd most likely pull the other team's center out to the 3-line or the midrange because of his ability to put those buckets in). It would open up the lane for guards like JRich and Baron, at the same time giving us an outside threat against centers that retreat back into the key.

On the other hand, Murphy doesn't block shots. At all. He's a monster rebounder and his offense speaks for itself, but I think a must for a starting NBA center is at least a hint that the ball is going to get sent back.

Players like Garnett and Amare are going to give us problems no matter what. Adonal would probably switch to them on defense, like he usually does, because he defends better than anybody else on our front court. Just because a guy plays a certain position doesn't mean that he's stuck guarding the man on the opposite team playing the same position. Adonal often guarded Tim Duncan last season, along with Garnett and Amare. He switches to guard power forwards regularly, depending on who's the bigger threat.

I don't mean this in an angy way, but if you'd rather take Zarko, Taft, and Adonal over Ike & Troy, then you're the blind one.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 25
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 5:56 pm
I understand your point pawno. Since the PF spot is more talented around the league than the C spot, then it is important to have talent there, at least to counter the likes of Amare and Duncan, but you at least need some decent talent at center! The Warriors don't have that unless Biedrins gets the court time and develops quickly.

Murphy and Diogu are quite good at the PF spot and they should be enough this season. Diogu in particular could be a force both offensively and defensively!

migya make the ring fall on ya
Role Player
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 4:52 am
Center.

By the way, don't forget Taft. He has a lot to proove this year and has the talent to be a superstar, IF.

Mullin is the Ultimate Warrior
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 3:16 pm
... I dunno about "superstar" as far as Taft goes, but I definately look forward to seeing him play. He'll develop into a fine player, but I've never seen more mixed reviews about a player. Half of the scouting reports I read say he has the talent to be an amazing player. The other half says he'll never make it in the NBA. Who knows. It'll be interesting to see.

Anybody whose capable of taking the starting job from Adonal Foyle is help. Chris Taft may just be that, but I doubt he'll be better than Biedrens or Zarko this season. He needs to develop first.
Next

Return to Warriors Basketball