San Franciso 49ers thread

Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 2:53 pm
Gore will be playing with his mom on his mind. She died Wednesday of kidney disease. He's dedicating the game to his mom.

"Nah, I know she would tell me to go play," Gore said. "I know my mom. She knows that I love football and she loves it. And it would be tough if I didn't play."

I hope we win Sunday. RIP to Liz Gore.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 12:18 am
That's always sad, and ditto.

Niners 30 Rams 17
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 8:51 am
Niners 24, Rams 21. We are going to have a tough time, and if we cant move the ball, there is no way we win. We also need to get some pass rush.
2007 - GoldenStWarriors.com "Rookie of the Year"
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 2:25 pm
We really need Alex to be Alex. We can't rely on Gore for most of the game. It's time to trust Alex as a QB or else because it's his damn third year and we need to know what he's going to give us. If not, we're all doomed at QB for now.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 5:42 pm
I dont care what kind of stats he needs to put up, the only thing that matters is the fact that we can pull off a W, and he has. If he needs to hand the ball off every time, or throw it every time, fine. Get a damn win.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 8:52 pm
Oh c'mon now, we can't possibly rely on Gore and Nedney every week. We got by the Cards and Rams barely. But next week will be different. We're facing the Steelers. Then wait 'til the Ravens. Alex has to produce. Getting 150 yards from him isn't enough. Especially if they're off basic pass formations. Besides, its his third year in the league. We need to stop holding him back and let him be a QB. He's not going to get any better that way. A little creativity won't hurt. Like I said, it's his third year. It's the year we find out what we're going to get. And as of the last two games, it ain't exactly a bright smile.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 8:59 pm
I'm not saying that we need to run the ball every time. I'm just saying that stats mean nothing to me. The only thing that matters is winning, and so far this year, he has done just that.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 9:02 pm
Yeah I know what you meant. But we're only to get away with it for so long. We need more than Gore to get going. I'd like to see Vernon and Jackson used more in the passing attack. I haven't seen them at all.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 9:07 pm
You know what I want to see? Vernon Davis on a reverse. No one would see it coming, and since he has problems catching the ball, just hand it off to him. I want to see Michael Robinson and Arnez Battle in there to do passes on reverses, some trickery.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 9:19 pm
Ah, finally. I've been waiting for another person say that. Having Michael Robinson do a HB Pass. Having Arnaz Battle pull an Antwaan Randle-El pass to Hines Ward similar to the one in the Superbowl couple years back. Like I said, a little creativity never hurts.
Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 9:50 pm
We're so bad offensively, even our trickery doesn't work. Did you guys see that awful reverse? We gotta have a passing game first before we can do that.

But, maaaan, we got lucky on that win today. An very lucky one.

We’re only up by a 1, and on our last drive, we run the ball 4 freakin’ times (w/ a penalty), knowing that we needed a 1st down and at least a FG. Running the ball 4 times in that situation, when Gore hasn’t really been effective? I mean how conservative can a team be? We needed to come away with a FG.

We’re lucky that when they got the ball back, they got a penalty to stall the drive—otherwise, they would have drawn closer and that FG would have been easily good for the win. That 56 yarder attempt by Wilkens just miseed by a freakin' yard!

And what happened to Vernon Davis with just 2 catches? We should be hitting this guy at least once on every drive. We’re off-balanced with rushing 28 vs. 17 only for passing. Really, either we change our playcalling, get a real offensive coordinator, get a real wide receiver to stretch the defense, and/or just plain use Smith better. Have him roll out, or put him in the shotgun to change things up. We are simply playing in a box. 2-0 is good (thanks Defense), but our offense is absolute crap!
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 10:05 pm
That's exactly what I was saying earlier. It's not even Hostler making the decision. It's Nolan making the decisions on the big down plays and the last four minutes. He's been conservative AS HELL on his play callings. I remember last year at St. Louis it was 4th and inches on the Rams' 7 yard line. What happens? He kicks the FG instead of going for it. They go up by 4 points. Then their defense loses the lead.

Our offense is in dismay right now. I guarentee you, we would've lost that game if it weren't for Gore. I mean we're talking about a RB who's playing with his mother on his mind. He did what he did knowing he had to fly to Florida right after the game to bury his mother. God bless Frank Gore for playing through a heavy heart. He said he didn't, but you know he did. Without him, we'd be 1-1 right now.

Alex needs to be a QB rather than a kid who listens to what Nolan and Hostler tell him to do. Anyone please tell me... when's the last time we saw Alex call an audible? He runs a play even if he sees the blitz coming. Put him in the shotgun more. He played in a shot gun, spread out formation at Utah under Urban Meyer. We need his arm way more than we need Gore's feet.
Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 10:25 pm
We would have lost that game if they gained 1 more yard on that last drive—and that conservative drive of ours would have bit Nolan in the ass—again.

I can’t remember the last time Smith calling an audible—and yes, he’ll have better success running the shotgun, like in Utah. But if it’s Nolan calling the plays, he better get his act together to match his shirt and tie, or we’ll be exposed real fast.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 12:50 am
I can't comment much on the Niners, as I haven't seen the game against the Rams. Just congrats on the win, guys. Your defense is looking really nice so far.

Remember my words when I said the Bucs championship team started like that.
Last edited by TMC on Mon Sep 17, 2007 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Poster Credit: 20
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 11:16 am
Our D is really good, except for a couple of holes in our secondary - mark roman needs to help walt harris over the top, and lewis needs to remember he is a ss and not a lb - but he will learn this being in a 3-4 to let the lbs do their jobs.

But our linebackers are among the best in the league - willis is a beast and will be droy if not roy.

Our line is really improved - new DT and same oldies but goodies at DE.

Or problem is play selection on offense, I've seen way too many runs on 3rd and long and first and 10. We are too predictable - I can call 80% of the plays from the second we line up - we aren't fooling anyone.

DJack is worrying me, I wasn't very excited when we picked him up (sure a 4th pick for him was a nice trade) he has too many drops - 1 of them was a sure go-ahead TD to beat the Cards.

We need to take better advantage of Vernon Davis's freakish speed, but i don't know about end-a-rounds or reverses (bad idea), we need him to run some crossing patterns, hooks, or swing passes to the flat - put him on a safety or lb and see what he can do after the catch.

The good news is that our offense will improve, we have been lucky to win 2 thus far, but look for Alex to get more comfortable and gore/hicks to rack up some 100+ yard games after Alex opens up the run game. We have won 2 games with out utilizing the elements i believe to be our strengths - deep passing game, humeruns by gore and ints by celements, harris and lewis.

In Alex I trust, I honestly wouldn't take any other qb other than Peyton or Brady, he has a huge arm, pinpoint accuracy (watch his preseason highlights), and he can create with his feet. It will be Alex not Gore to get us over this offensive slump.

All that said, isn't it exciting to see our guys play some great D?

Any one know of a good 9er forum?
PreviousNext

Return to Sports Board