Gary Payton

Area for news articles related to the Warriors

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 9:25 am
I just read the Argus and apparently, Gary Payton would like to come to the Warriors. "Agent indicates playing for Warriors is an option unsigned point guard could consider for this season."

Oakland native Gary Payton, unsigned for 2007-08 after playing last season with the Miami Heat, will make a decision about his future within the next week, his agent said Friday.
And one option he might consider would be to try to play an 18th and final NBA season with the hometown Golden State Warriors.

Aaron Goodwin said Payton is training to stay in shape, but he has not settled on which direction to take his career.

"He's deciding if he's going to take another crack at playing one more season, or maybe go to Seattle and work in some sort of management position, or go into TV color commentary," Goodwin said.

Payton, who turned 39 this summer, was not available for comment.

Goodwin said there have been no talks yet with potential teams, including the Warriors.

"He definitely has thoughts of going backfrom Sports 1

and giving it one more shot in Miami," Goodwin said. "If that didn't work, he'd like to play for a West Coast team, the Warriors being one of them. It'd be great to retire in Oakland."

The Warriors currently have no roster room, with the maximum 15 players signed to guaranteed contracts headed into training camp next month.

Payton, a nine-time NBA All-Star point guard and one of the league's greatest defensive players during his prime, grew up in Oakland and starred at Skyline High.

Payton played the past two seasons with the Heat, winning his first NBA championship in 2006. But his playing time dwindled

last season, when he averaged just 5.3 points and 3.0 assists, both career-low numbers.
"He just doesn't feel like he went out the way he'd like to," Goodwin said.

Chris Mullin, the Warriors' executive vice president for basketball operations, would not address the possibility that Payton could wind up back in Oakland, but said through a team spokesman, "I've always been a big admirer of Gary Payton. He's certainly been one of the premier point guards in the NBA for many years and in my mind is a sure-fire Hall of Famer."

If Payton opts against playing again, he likely will explore either returning to the Seattle SuperSonics in some sort of management role or doing TV work.

Payton played the first 121/2 seasons of his career in Seattle and is the franchise's career scoring leader. "He could help out younger players and he'd be great for the community," Goodwin suggested.

Known for his "trash-talking" on the floor, Payton has TV experience as a regular guest on FSN's "Best Damn Sports Show Period."

Payton finished last season as the No.26 all-time scorer in NBA history with 21,813 points. Only Oscar Robertson has scored more points among point guards.

Nicknamed "The Glove," Payton is No.3 all-time in career steals (2,445) and No.6 in assists (8,966) and is the only player in NBA history with at least 20,000 points, 8,000 assists and 2,000 steals.

Would you want to see Payton on the Warriors? I would because he brings a veteran leadership at the backup point guard position, and that is one of our main needs.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 9:35 am
sfsfsfgiants wrote:Would you want to see Payton on the Warriors?

Definitely. Cut Cabbage's sorry ass and bring Gary back home. Even a washed up GP can do more for our team, both on and off the court.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 9:37 am
I like his defensive intensity, and the experience that he brings.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 53
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 11:07 am
I don't want him. People in LA had mixed feelings about him... and anybody from Boston or Miami is quick to tell you that he can't play anymore. If its for the vet minimum, than why not... but I think we can do better than an over-the-hill GP. He could be good for veteran leadership, free throws, and the occasional hot shooting night... but his quickness is gone, so his defense isn't what it used to be.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 11:26 am
32 wrote:I don't want him. People in LA had mixed feelings about him... and anybody from Boston or Miami is quick to tell you that he can't play anymore. If its for the vet minimum, than why not... but I think we can do better than an over-the-hill GP. He could be good for veteran leadership, free throws, and the occasional hot shooting night... but his quickness is gone, so his defense isn't what it used to be.

Yeah, but we don't need him to solve games for us. Just to play backup. People expected too much from him in all of those places. He was the starter at both LA and Boston (which he can't be at this point of his career, for the reasons you point out) and, as Jason Williams was the other option in Miami, they demanded too much of him.

That wouldn't be the case here. He just has to play 15 mpg as Baron's backup, and I think he's perfectly able to do so. Of course, he would have to sign for the vets minimum, but I don't think he expects more than that.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 53
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 3:56 pm
Well, I'd rather have him than Cabbage. :dontknow:

But I'd still rather have a guy like Will Bynum over him...
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 4:11 pm
Okay, here's a good question... rank these guys in order of who you would want, and take into consideration the amount of money they would get:

1) Gary Payton
2) Sarunas Jasikevicious
3) Earl Boykins
4) Will Bynum
5) Pierre Pierce
All Star
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 5:19 pm
sfsfsfgiants wrote:Okay, here's a good question... rank these guys in order of who you would want, and take into consideration the amount of money they would get:

1) Gary Payton
2) Sarunas Jasikevicious
3) Earl Boykins
4) Will Bynum
5) Pierre Pierce

talking back-up point guard and taking money into account, I say payton, boykins, pierce, cabbage, bynum - I see no evidence that Bynum is a PG.
To Live is A Value Judgment - Albert Camus
3 reasons for living: Jazz, Hoops and women

President Barack Hussein Obama - America chose Hope over Fear
ImageImage
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 6:14 pm
coltraning wrote:
sfsfsfgiants wrote:Okay, here's a good question... rank these guys in order of who you would want, and take into consideration the amount of money they would get:

1) Gary Payton
2) Sarunas Jasikevicious
3) Earl Boykins
4) Will Bynum
5) Pierre Pierce

talking back-up point guard and taking money into account, I say payton, boykins, pierce, cabbage, bynum - I see no evidence that Bynum is a PG.

Yeah, that is my order, too.

All Star
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 9:05 pm
Keep his old ass off of the team! Just because he can't get any offers from any teams. All of a sudden he wants a contract from his home town? **** that the ****! It doesn't work like that. Even when he was with the Lakers his defensive intensity was coming down!

He's always been a slow down half court PG and he would run out of gas once he hits the floor.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 28
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 9:57 pm
sfsfsfgiants wrote:
coltraning wrote:

1) Gary Payton
2) Sarunas Jasikevicious
3) Earl Boykins
4) Will Bynum
5) Pierre Pierce

Yeah, that is my order, too.

My order as well.

I'd love to have Payton on the team! The final year of his career for his hometown Warriors would be a perfect finale! He is good enough to be a backup PG and having him and Baron at PG, two guys that don't take shiit from anyone, would be good for the team

migya make the ring fall on ya
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:55 pm
It'd be awesome for Payton to return home. So long as its for the vets minimum. I don't want to pay up for him. He may be washed up, but he can still play backup.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 1:18 am
coltraning wrote:

1) Gary Payton
2) Sarunas Jasikevicious
3) Earl Boykins
4) Will Bynum
5) Pierre Pierce

Yeah, I don't understand the infatuation with Will Bynum. I saw him play last year for Maccabi and he looked like a backup. A backup at euro level. GP on one leg is still able to help more than him.
All Star
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 3:21 am
TMC wrote:
coltraning wrote:

1) Gary Payton
2) Sarunas Jasikevicious
3) Earl Boykins
4) Will Bynum
5) Pierre Pierce

Yeah, I don't understand the infatuation with Will Bynum. I saw him play last year for Maccabi and he looked like a backup. A backup at euro level. GP on one leg is still able to help more than him.

Didn't we have this pass-first point guard third-string dude for a couple of games last year? Aaron something? I am too drunk and stoned to look it up but I think he might be able to help a little. That being said I think GP at veteran minimum would be worth it even if he doesn't play a sinle minute because of what he could teach the kids.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 3:32 am
cladden wrote:Didn't we have this pass-first point guard third-string dude for a couple of games last year? Aaron something? I am too drunk and stoned to look it up

:mrgreen:

Aaron Miles?. That was two seasons ago. He has recently signed with a team here in Spain, in Seville. I doubt he has an option to leave to the NBA at this point. He might agree to a deal, but it would have to be a fully guaranteed deal that allows him to pay compensation to his current team.

Miles is a nice player. I liked him more than Bynum, to be honest.
Next

Return to News Articles