Bird Calls Out Murphy

Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:37 am
Larry Bird wrote:Well, with Murph, the one thing we saw last year was he didn't play as tough as he did in the past. You've got to understand, Murph was a double-double guy for three years in this league. I think in Golden State they wanted to run so they lost a lot of weight. Now he's bulking up. The thing we do in the summer is send our trainers and strength and conditioning guys out everywhere our players are at and we set them up with programs that are going to do the things we need them to do. Our guys go out and check on them about every two or three weeks and they can see the difference in them.

Rumor out of Indiana is that Larry Bird sat Troy Murphy down and read him the riot act. Told him how soft he's gotten. Told him he needs to get back to his 1st and 2nd year style of play; where he rebounds and bangs inside, and only uses the perimeter jumper as a marginal weapon (rather than his whole offensive game). Coming from one of the most hard-nosed, passionate, willing-to-sacrifice-his-body-for-the-good-of-the-team players of all time, I'm gonna assume Murphy was listening to Bird's lecture. Apparently, Bird challenged him to step his game up and become Indiana's enforcer.

My questions are: #1, will Larry Bird get through to Troy Murphy and turn him back into the beast he was during his first couple of seasons... and, #2, what sort of results would that yield in a pathetic Eastern Conference?

Discuss.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:01 pm
That's why he was traded, ain't it?. I imagine that Nellie and/or Mullin talked to him about this, about how soft he has gotten, the number of shots he takes and all the vices of his game that he developed during the last few seasons.

Guess that what I'm saying is that I'll have to see that change to believe it. IF he's able to go back to the kind of play he had his first two years, he'll be an asset. So far, I'm glad he's a Pacer and not a Warrior.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:06 pm
Nobody regrets the trade in the least bit. Nobody on the Warriors' end, that is. Still, I don't imagine any words from Chris Mullin or Don Nelson, with all due respect, meaning as much to Troy Murphy as Larry Bird's lecture.

Mullin was a young GM when he first developed a relationship with Murphy and perhaps, though unlikely, the VP never said a word to him regarding his soft play. It makes sense. Murphy, until this final year, always carried a RPG average over 10. What did Mullin care how Murphy decided to get his 15 PPG? Mullin's logic was most likely, "I'll make it an issue when he stops averaging double-doubles."

In Don Nelson's case, specifically taking his style into consideration, I can't imagine Nellie not being thrilled with a 10 RPG 7-footer who could shoot. It certainly sounds like Nelson's kind of guy. Obviously, midseason, other issues (such as Murphy's horrific play when donning the dreaded Phantom Mask) led to Murphy's departure... although I think Murph's contract size - along with the obvious talent upgrade of Al Harrington - played a bigger part in Murphy being dealt than his regression of power play.

We'll see when the season starts. If Murphy starts banging again, he could average 12 and 10 on 48% shooting.
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 4:05 pm
I think Murphy is more of a 14/10 player. He relies on that outside shot way too much. If he stayed the way he was the first couple years in the league, he could be banging inside using that outside shot as a weapon to catch the other team off guard when they think he'll go inside again.

But I don't know if Bird can. Maybe so... I think Murphy may have need some time to adjust back to the old Murphy instead of running and gunning all the time.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 8:20 pm
Most on here saw how soft Murphy had become and that he was only going to get worse, not better. Bird looks like he now realises what a bad trade that was

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 12:09 am
Going back to where he was at the beginning of his career is gonna be tough for him. Once you get a vice, it's hard to get rid of it.

If it happens, I also think he can be a 14 and 10 guy... but I don't know if he'll be able to do it. And Bird probably has his doubts, too. I wouldn't be surprised if he's traded again during the season.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:10 am
What's troublesome is that the Pacers are extremely satisfied with the production of Mike Dunleavy... and, really, his numbers haven't gotten drastically better since the trade. Admittedly, they're a little better... but nothing that would warrant calling the trade a success.

I think the Pacers are wasting their time putting their eggs in Dunleavy's basket instead of Murphy's. Troy was clearly the more useful player when he played here. I still believe that Murph can find a niche somewhere in the NBA... but, unfortunately due to his contract, it might end up being a Raef LaFrenz kinda role.

The Pacers will find themselves in the same boat as the Warriors: unless they're willing to give up a top notch prospect, they'll have a lot of trouble dropping Murphy's contract on somebody.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 11:08 am
32 wrote:The Pacers will find themselves in the same boat as the Warriors

If they trade Jermaine, they'll be the new Warriors, just worse. Hey, it might happen...
Last edited by TMC on Sat Sep 08, 2007 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 11:56 am
TMC wrote:
32 wrote:The Pacers will find themselves in the same boat as the Warriors

If they trade Jermaine, they'll be the new Warriors, just worse. Hey, it might happen...

Depends on who they get for Jermaine.

Right now, the only guys I like on the Pacers are Danny Granger, David Harrison, Ike Diogu, Marquis Daniels, and (maybe) Shawne Williams. Those are some decent youngsters. Now, they need to get some A-list prospects for Jermaine (not to mention, cap relief to resign the kids) and ditch Jamaal Tinsley for a younger point guard that can stay healthy. Tinsley, while talented, is a drama setter.

Role Player
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:31 pm
hmm troy murphy used to rank top 5 in rebounds, but you could never actually call him a top 5 rebounder. he was never as good as his stats in that category...the reason he got so many boards was that he was the lone big man on the teeny warriors (except foyle, who just couldnt rebound)

he was effective as a scorer though when he shot midrange jumpers. he does need to harden up make his presence felt around the rim...it's not like he's ever gonna become a beast/banger inside, but he has a soft touch from around the rim and was once a primary scorer (i think their second priority next to jrich) for the warriors

All Star
Poster Credit: 5
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:56 pm
the guy has to shoot with two hands just to get it around the rim when he's inside. it doesn't get much worse than that. zero finesse around the rim. how many times did we watch him get stuffed? it was hilarious. oh and by the way, tell larry that troy doesn't want to bang anymore because he's had his nose broken so many times it looks diagonal.
"Losing is inevitably close to winning," Guber said. "They're inches apart. Drama. If you have drama, you've got a ticket to sell." "They're not real fans," Lacob said. "They don't have season tickets."
All Star
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:37 pm
ChronicallyInclined wrote:the guy has to shoot with two hands just to get it around the rim when he's inside. it doesn't get much worse than that. zero finesse around the rim. how many times did we watch him get stuffed? it was hilarious. oh and by the way, tell larry that troy doesn't want to bang anymore because he's had his nose broken so many times it looks diagonal.

you know, I think that is the biggest factor in all of this. I think he is gunshy cause of all the busted proboscis action he's had. Bad memories for him...
To Live is A Value Judgment - Albert Camus
3 reasons for living: Jazz, Hoops and women

President Barack Hussein Obama - America chose Hope over Fear
ImageImage
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 2:48 pm
coltraning wrote:
ChronicallyInclined wrote:the guy has to shoot with two hands just to get it around the rim when he's inside. it doesn't get much worse than that. zero finesse around the rim. how many times did we watch him get stuffed? it was hilarious. oh and by the way, tell larry that troy doesn't want to bang anymore because he's had his nose broken so many times it looks diagonal.

you know, I think that is the biggest factor in all of this. I think he is gunshy cause of all the busted proboscis action he's had. Bad memories for him...

I think so, too. But he's gonna have to get past it. A professional power forward playing in the NBA can't be gunshy because he's got his face smacked a couple times.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:30 am
Murphy returned to the Pacers' starting lineup after being injured early on... and left the game with his usual 18 and 10. Even in games that he didn't start, Murph turned in decent performances (10 and 4, 16 and 5).

Word out of Pacers' conditioning camp is that Mike Dunleavy outworked everybody else on the team... but was closely followed by Troy Murphy. Could these guys really have turned the corner...?
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:41 am
32 wrote: Could these guys really have turned the corner...?

I really dont see them ever working hard enough consistantly to be considered above average players. To answer your question: no. Give them a couple of weeks, and Murphy will be back to his soft as hell self, and Dunleavy will be back to bricking open threes.
Next

Return to Sports Board