Who's The Biggest Disappointment?

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Hey, I love the Warriors, but before Mullin got here, we had some pretty damn sorry decisions being made... what do you think was our worst trait, GM wise?

Picking up has-beens and giving up young talent (John Starks, Terry Cummings, Mookie Blaylock, Muggsy Bogues, ect)
3%
Trading established stars for would-be busts (Mitch Richmond for Billy Owens, Tim Hardaway for Bimbo Coles, Chris Webber for Tom Gugliotta, ect)
43%
Wasted draft picks (Vonteego Cummings, Joe Smith, Todd Fuller, ect)
43%
Vince Carter (and CASH, on top of it) for Antawn Jamison... I'm still not over that...
10%

Total votes : 30

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 9:54 pm
I'm sorry, I know we've done some stupid things, but I'll never get over Carter for Jamison. People can defend him all they want, but the truth is that Antawn was a decent player, Carter was an all-star. The Raptors made the play-offs, the Warriors didn't.

I was PRAYING :? that we'd draft Vince Carter (because I honestly didn't think he'd slip all the way to the 5th spot)... and we did :-o ... and we traded him in the same hour. :banghead: I was furious.

This is just a personal vendetta, really, but you guys can agree if you want.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Site Admin
Poster Credit: 20
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 10:08 pm
is there an all of the above option???? =)
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 31
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 2:38 am
Player32 wrote:I'm sorry, I know we've done some stupid things, but I'll never get over Carter for Jamison. People can defend him all they want, but the truth is that Antawn was a decent player, Carter was an all-star. The Raptors made the play-offs, the Warriors didn't.

I was PRAYING :? that we'd draft Vince Carter (because I honestly didn't think he'd slip all the way to the 5th spot)... and we did :-o ... and we traded him in the same hour. :banghead: I was furious.

This is just a personal vendetta, really, but you guys can agree if you want.

Bit harsh.

I don't think Vince can transform a team playing out in the west to a playoff contender. When your balling on the east coast it's kind of a tiny bit easier to get those eight seeds.

But so true on the all of the above option
Site Admin
Poster Credit: 20
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 7:19 am
If Vince was on the Warriors we would have made the playoffs at least once during his time here. He may have left bitter and angry as he did in Toronto, but we would have more success while he was here.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 11:26 am
Haha, I figured putting an "all of the above" option would kind of make me seem like a Warrior hater, and their my team so I don't wanna say anything TOO bad about them.

I'll admit I'm harsh when it comes to the Vince Carter trade. And it's not because Vince is that great of a player (frankly, I think he's overrated... probably just a level or two above Antawn Jamison). It's because, for years, the Warriors passed up great players by wasting their draft picks... AND, for years, the Warriors traded away their stars for a bust. The Antawn Jamison - Vince Carter ordeal was the first time I remember them doing BOTH in the same night, in the same hour, in the same act. Richmond for Owens was not quite the same holocaust because Richmond was already an established star and that was simply a bust of a trade. This was two horrible events in one. I guess that's why I'm so sore about it. If you would have substituted Vince Carter for a franchise markee player who could transform a division simply because he's in it (ie, Michael Jordan, Shaquille O'Neal), then it would be the worst thing to ever have happened. But, as it was, we lost a star (not an icon), so it was only the 2nd to worst thing that could ever happen.

We got a ton of people on this board who love to vote, but not to comment... come on, people, you gotta back up your opinion!
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 6:06 pm
Antawn was quite good, not a superstar but almost there!

Warriors have had far worse trades in the last 10 years - Tim Hardaway, letting Hughes go for nothing instead of trading him, Joe Smith.

Some of the draft picks have also been awful!!!!!

migya make the ring fall on ya
Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 7:08 pm
Please all of u , could u stop mentioning the past for my health sake. There are just too many wounds and one sided idiotic trades.

But out of respect to the warriors organization and the extreme effort they took to torture warrior fans. :banghead: I have to go with all of the above option.
Role Player
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 4:54 am
hobbes wrote:is there an all of the above option???? =)

Yes we sould have that option.

Mullin is the Ultimate Warrior

Rookie
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 4:36 pm
You guys do realize that Toronto was going to pick Vince Carter whether the Warriors made the trade or not? That deal was only made to make Antawn feel good about the Warriors. The real lapse in judgement was picking Antawn instead of Paul Pierce, there was never any chance that V.C. was going to fall to the Warriors. Of course paying 100 large to lock up Antawn was stupid, but it didn't really cost the Warriors Vince Carter.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 9:09 pm
... the trade was made AFTER the pick, BigW. Toronto had selected Antawn Jamison. Golden State picked Vince Carter. They didn't trade draft picks prior to the evening; they traded players during the evening. Vince Carter could have been a Warrior, but Golden State dealt him to Toronto because they were trying to stop a Dallas trade that would have sent Antawn Jamison to the Mavericks (because Nelly was incredibly interested in the prospect of Antawn Jamison). They pounced on Jamison (including shelling out cash) to intercept Dallas' interest. While it was a dick move at the time by the Warriors, Dallas got the last laugh (in a way) because Vince Carter turned out to be a bonafide star on the Raptors while Jamison busted on Golden State, instead of them.

But saying that there was no chance Vince could have been a Warrior is false. Had Dallas not made an advance towards Antawn Jamison, the Warriors may have never thought he was worth so much. Instead of being happy with Carter, the Warriors took a chance and blew it.

Role Player
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 11:48 am
From NBA.com: "First-round draft choice (fifth overall) by the Golden State Warriors at the 1998 NBA Draft...Traded by the Warriors with draft rights and cash to Toronto for the draft rights to Antawn Jamison"

For a breif moment, Vince was a Warrior.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 7:27 pm
The West was always tougher since the 2 got drafted and Vince may not have been enough for the Warriors to make the playoffs. The raptors were never that great anyway with him.

His stinking attitude would have most probably surfaced in the Warriors and that would have lead to them being worse than with Antawn in the last couple of seasons he was here. Antawn averaged 24 - 25pts one season and he was always the primary offensive player his last 4 years here!

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 9:04 pm
Regardless, Antawn didn't have Vince's hype, his talent, or his natural ability. Carter is a better overall player and always has been. It would have been a better pick.

Rookie
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 12:44 am
The Carter ordeal takes the cake on bad trades for the Warriors. The way I see it, not only would Carter comming to Oaktown strengthen the team and put up high numbers, it also would have enrichend the Warriors Franchise as a whole, therefore increasing the appeal of other players wanting to come to Golden State and increasing championship contendability.
In the end, this is basketball and a business. Unfortunately GS concentrated on the business aspect for too long and made some bad decision along the way. The good news is the managment appears to be on track and has the goal of creating a marketable successful team rather than a quick buck. Everything comes in time.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 12:54 pm
:D All hail the wise words of Big Daddy Furzo
Next

Return to Warriors Basketball