Mike Dunleavy's workout plan

Area for news articles related to the Warriors

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Role Player
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 9:46 am
The exercise regimen

• Dunleavy spent four days a week in the gym this summer. The sessions combine weightlifting and exercises that look straight out of a Pilates class, emphasizing the core muscle groups.

• On Mondays and Thursdays, he concentrates on abs and upper body. The abdominal exercises included exercises on a lat-pull machine. To strengthen his upper body, Dunleavy does bench presses, military presses, seated presses and standing presses.

• On Tuesdays and Fridays, Dunleavy focuses on the lower back, legs and Olympic-style lifting to build strength. Last Tuesday, he worked on a glute-ham machine, doing lower-back and hamstring exercises. He also did mat exercises with a Swiss fitness ball and squats while standing on half-foam rolls. Both work the core.

He spent about 30 minutes doing hang-snatch and hang-clean lifts -- like an Olympic weightlifter, but with fewer pounds. The exercises put stress on the calves, hamstrings and glutes and upper body. And the bar he uses weighs 50 pounds and has an extra-large diameter so he's also working his hands and wrists.

``We want to make sure that his technique is impeccable and he's really moving the weight explosively,'' said Mark Grabow, the Warriors' director of athletic development.

The trainer

Grabow -- a former pro soccer player who has trained other world-class athletes such as Brian Boitano, Andy Roddick and Mary Pierce -- writes out a daily program not only for Dunleavy, but also for every other Warrior, and keeps track of progress on a computer program.

The diet

Dunleavy's primary concern is maintaining weight, not losing it. His rookie year, he started out at about 220 pounds and finished the season under 210.

``It's hard because we're working weird hours,'' he said. ``You finish a game and you're hungry, but you've got a plane to catch, so you don't get to eat.''

Grabow said he's ``constantly throwing calories down Mike's throat.'' It's a two-pronged approach.

• Meal-replacement shakes. Dunleavy found a brand he likes, Natural Science, that makes a shake consisting of 50 percent carbohydrates, 25 percent protein and 25 percent fat. He'll have a double shake after workouts and a single shake before games.

``Before, I'd be hungry in the third quarter because I had a completely empty stomach,'' Dunleavy said. ``Now, I don't run out of energy.''

• Healthy eating: Dunleavy has a taste for chicken, fish and lean-meat dishes. He likes variety, so he doesn't stick to a set routine of meals -- except for his pregame ritual of pasta with tomato sauce and chicken.

``During the season, I'm eating more carbohydrates and I'm less concerned about exactly how good it is because it's so hard for me to keep on weight,'' he said. ``But I'm more conscious of what I'm eating in the summer because I don't want to put on any bad weight.''

What you don't know about Dunleavy

Everyone assumes he inherited his talent from his father -- longtime NBA player Mike Dunleavy Sr., now coach of the Los Angeles Clippers. While he may have gotten his father's basketball genes, the younger Dunleavy believes he got his desire from his mother.

Emily Dunleavy runs two hours every morning. She also does aerobics three times a week.

``She never misses a day, 365 days a year, unless she's sick,'' Dunleavy said. ``She can't tell you how fast she runs or how long because she's not competitive. But she leaves the house at 9 o'clock and she's not back until 11.''

Return to News Articles