Mullin JUST PICK ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Pietrus or Dunleavy???

Mickeal Pietrus
20
71%
Mike Dunleavy
8
29%
 
Total votes : 28


Role Player
Posts: 267
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2005 8:18 pm
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 5:01 pm
I agree with Migya though. Pietrus is an awsome defensive player and as they say defense wins championships.
:agrue: :agrue: :agrue: :agrue: :agrue: :agrue: :agrue: :agrue: :agrue: :agrue: :agrue: :agrue: :agrue:
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 21375
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:50 am
Location: Perth
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 6:50 pm
My comment was not racist but a statement regarding the wrong view that Dunleavy was a "dynasty" ingredient!

I used rather strong language, which has been used in other posts by other people in the past on here!

Know the difference between RACIST and language that is in response to stupid comments!

It's obvious that some of you have insecurities! Try reading between the lines!!!!


The point about Pietrus being more raw, running a fast break - For the moment yes, but my point is, if Dunleavy is so smooth and so skilled, why has he underachieved so much and why do his performances show that he is really not that skilled! He was very good in college but he hasn't been in the nba. This guy Pietrus could be something really special! A guy that develops into one of the best in the nba at his position! It would be awful to see him go and for a guy that is not as good to be favored over him!

I don't see the Warriors keeping the two of them because salarywise it may not be possible whe it is time for them to resign!

This is a critical time in the present era of this franchise - If the right moves are not made, this potentially great team will disintegrate before it even takes off!

At the very least, guys like Pietrus and Biedrins need to have the opportunity to show whether they can be starters and play major minutes or not! This has to happen this season, especially with some older players reaching the last stage of their careers! Now is the time to transition so this team can be championship caliber in a couple of years!
Image



Image


migya make the ring fall on ya
User avatar
Franchise Player
Posts: 5868
Joined: Fri May 14, 2004 5:05 am
Location: Brisbane
Poster Credit: 31
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 11:29 pm
migya wrote:My comment was not racist but a statement regarding the wrong view that Dunleavy was a "dynasty" ingredient!

I used rather strong language, which has been used in other posts by other people in the past on here!

Know the difference between RACIST and language that is in response to stupid comments!

It's obvious that some of you have insecurities! Try reading between the lines!!!!


The point about Pietrus being more raw, running a fast break - For the moment yes, but my point is, if Dunleavy is so smooth and so skilled, why has he underachieved so much and why do his performances show that he is really not that skilled! He was very good in college but he hasn't been in the nba. This guy Pietrus could be something really special! A guy that develops into one of the best in the nba at his position! It would be awful to see him go and for a guy that is not as good to be favored over him!

I don't see the Warriors keeping the two of them because salarywise it may not be possible whe it is time for them to resign!

This is a critical time in the present era of this franchise - If the right moves are not made, this potentially great team will disintegrate before it even takes off!

At the very least, guys like Pietrus and Biedrins need to have the opportunity to show whether they can be starters and play major minutes or not! This has to happen this season, especially with some older players reaching the last stage of their careers! Now is the time to transition so this team can be championship caliber in a couple of years!


I know you were not raceist, But You did use strong language. But the legal terminology for a pathetic white goon as you are hinted is commonly known in NBA Circles as a STIFF.

I made the references of Bird and Barry because there were both white and entered the league as stiffs. ( Larry missed out on a NCAA championship Title with Indiana, Dunleavy won his for Duke )

Haven't you been reading what BROE is saying? He feels that Mullin will resign both. The most recognizing factor why this strategy is being put into place is the fact that Mullin didn't take on any more payroll with those expiring trade exceptions.

I have open arms for your pinup poster child Pietrus on my Warriors team, I'd personally like to see him come off the bench because he is a good spark plug. But you seem deadset on sticking needles into your Dunleavoodoo Doll
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 21375
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:50 am
Location: Perth
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 6:15 am
pawnograffiti wrote:
I know you were not raceist, But You did use strong language. But the legal terminology for a pathetic white goon as you are hinted is commonly known in NBA Circles as a STIFF.

I made the references of Bird and Barry because there were both white and entered the league as stiffs. ( Larry missed out on a NCAA championship Title with Indiana, Dunleavy won his for Duke )

Haven't you been reading what BROE is saying? He feels that Mullin will resign both. The most recognizing factor why this strategy is being put into place is the fact that Mullin didn't take on any more payroll with those expiring trade exceptions.

I have open arms for your pinup poster child Pietrus on my Warriors team, I'd personally like to see him come off the bench because he is a good spark plug. But you seem deadset on sticking needles into your Dunleavoodoo Doll




I have stated before that Dunleavy has got ability but he is not doing well so far!

You really reckon that Mullin can keep both these guys???? Pietrus better not ask for alot of money because Dunleavy sure will! He is a starter, a player who had a very good college career
and
EVERY nba player looks to get alot of money!!!!!

That must be what Mullin is trying to figure out right now - How much money does Dunleavy want and is it worth paying him that! talking with Dunleavy now gives him an idea - Very smart by Mullin because it is always good to plan ahead! This way you know whether to start trying to trade him or see how the other guys at his position on the team perform so you know whether to keep him or not.

Pietrus, if he keeps going how he is and becomes really good, will also ask for a substantial amount of money! - Thing is that he might well deserve it! Dunleavy, with what he has shown so far (and if he plays the same this season) will not deserve a huge contract! Dunleavy has one season until he is up for resigning while Pietrus has two. This season will be very important in finding out who is more valuable!
Image



Image


migya make the ring fall on ya

All Star
Posts: 2261
Joined: Fri Jul 16, 2004 9:05 am
Location: Berkeley
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 5:06 pm
migya again you are trying to justify your ignorant comments by "what other people said " be your own man seeing that your not the "fool" that you have gone around calling people if they dont agree with your daily trade demands :banghead:
User avatar
Rookie
Posts: 108
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2005 6:29 pm
Location: Oak Town
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 6:09 pm
I think we should start Mike since he fits in the starting lineup more naturally than Pietrus. Pietrus is more explosive and HARDER. However, we can use him off the bench and sparks the bench along with FIsher.
Go Warriors!!
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 21375
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:50 am
Location: Perth
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 6:28 pm
Pietrus needs to get over 28 minutes of court time - he deserves that!

He can come off the bench to begin with but for him to play about 30 minutes a game, Dunleavy will only get about 20 minutes - the rumblings will start then.........
Image



Image


migya make the ring fall on ya
User avatar
Role Player
Posts: 486
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2005 6:03 am
Location: Thessaloniki, Greece
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 7:40 am
migya wrote:NO CHAMPIONSHIP DYNASTY HAS BEEN BUILT WITH A PATHETIC WHITE GOON!!!!!!!

Dunleavy has not improved in three years and is SOFT! He is not what the Warriors need as a starter and they have guys who are better at that position!


Right on, plus START THINKING DEFENCE IF YOU WANT A RING.
Im asking the Dun's funs this question for a long time and nowone is answering, HO IS GOING TO GUARD THE OTHER TEAM'S STAR-GUARD???
We need a perimeter defender in the starting lineyp. Is it so hard to see????
Image

Mullin is the Ultimate Warrior

Rookie
Posts: 71
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2005 7:22 pm
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 12:40 pm
Clearing up some misconceptions:
Larry Bird carried Indiana STATE to the NCAA finals. Thats Indiana STATE not Indiana. Indiana state hasn't had a whiff of the NCAA tournament since. Larry Bird was the 6th draft pick, he was not considered a stiff, just overlooked, much like Jordan who was the 3rd draft pick when he came out.

Here is my take on Dunleavy... He has had every opportunity in life to absorb basketball knowledge, Son of an NBA coach and player, went to the premier basketball school in the country. Yes he is very versatile, but being versatile and able to play 4 positions makes you a good bench player not a good starter. The problem is he hasn't put all his abilities together to dominate at one position, given his lifetime exposure to basketball there is no excuse for this at this point in his career. There have been other similar step slow white guys who became all-stars in the modern era (Bird and Mullin) but they played the game with complete knowledge. They weren't good individual defenders but they were great team defenders because they were always in the right spot to cut off passes etc. Dunleavy is rarely in the right spot defensively, or if he is he makes no effort to steal passes etc. Dunleavy is weak on the mental side of the game. He doesn't post up smaller players, he can't drive in traffic, he has no mid range floater or finger roll and he doesn't play good team defense. Given his background there is no excuse for this. I just don't see the light switch going on in his head to allow him to put it all together, because based on his background it should already be on.

Pietrus on the other hand has every reason to be weak in the basketball knowledge area, he came from a weak basketball country hasn't had Dunleavy's lifetime exposure to the game. The chances for him becoming a complete player and dominating at his position just seem much higher.
User avatar
Starting Lineup
Posts: 879
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 12:41 pm
Location: Union City, CA
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 5:08 pm
BigW wrote:Clearing up some misconceptions:
Larry Bird carried Indiana STATE to the NCAA finals. Thats Indiana STATE not Indiana. Indiana state hasn't had a whiff of the NCAA tournament since. Larry Bird was the 6th draft pick, he was not considered a stiff, just overlooked, much like Jordan who was the 3rd draft pick when he came out.

Here is my take on Dunleavy... He has had every opportunity in life to absorb basketball knowledge, Son of an NBA coach and player, went to the premier basketball school in the country. Yes he is very versatile, but being versatile and able to play 4 positions makes you a good bench player not a good starter. The problem is he hasn't put all his abilities together to dominate at one position, given his lifetime exposure to basketball there is no excuse for this at this point in his career. There have been other similar step slow white guys who became all-stars in the modern era (Bird and Mullin) but they played the game with complete knowledge. They weren't good individual defenders but they were great team defenders because they were always in the right spot to cut off passes etc. Dunleavy is rarely in the right spot defensively, or if he is he makes no effort to steal passes etc. Dunleavy is weak on the mental side of the game. He doesn't post up smaller players, he can't drive in traffic, he has no mid range floater or finger roll and he doesn't play good team defense. Given his background there is no excuse for this. I just don't see the light switch going on in his head to allow him to put it all together, because based on his background it should already be on.

Pietrus on the other hand has every reason to be weak in the basketball knowledge area, he came from a weak basketball country hasn't had Dunleavy's lifetime exposure to the game. The chances for him becoming a complete player and dominating at his position just seem much higher.


That made so much sence I wish I had said it.

Role Player
Posts: 280
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2005 7:53 pm
Location: san francisco
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 7:02 pm
this whole Pietrus vs. Dun debate misses the main point - depth.
Part of why this team will be good this year is because we can adjust our roster based on who we play against. In each position, the current starter offers a different skill set than the back up. Except for Baron who better stay healthy!
Dun gives us passing, court awareness, nice mid range game and the ability to bring the ball up the court
Pietrus gives us explosiveness, defense, energy and hustle
both are decent 3 point shooters - neither are great.
I actually think that unless Pietrus turns into paul pierce this year we'll need an upgrade over both of them if we want to go far in the playoffs.

So, when we need to lock down a T-Mac, we bring in Pietrus. When we want to run the open floor and play against another high tempo team without a great pf, we play Dun.

Mullin can keep both this year, see if dun can impress migya and if not, pietrus is great insurance if we can't resign him.
Much ado about nada.
11 years of no playoffs and counting...

Starting Lineup
Posts: 529
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2005 10:24 am
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 7:57 pm
Ya know Big W, after reading your analysis I can't help but wonder if Dunleavy's father should have trained him more like Robert Duvall trained his son in The Great Santini. Maybe being pushed around, bullied and having a basketball bounced repeatedly off of his noggin would have toughened him up a bit. I think your on to something that makes sense when you say how dissappointing he is considering all the advantages he has been given.

You can see he's learned the things you can teach in a clinic, but you don't see the things that you are taught in years of having your ass kicked in street ball at the corner park. No fouls, lot's of pushing and shoving and talking about your mama, which always fires you up.

Great analysis on your part!
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 21375
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:50 am
Location: Perth
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 8:40 pm
That explanation is what I have been getting at all this time!!!!!!!
Well written BigW!

Chances of Dunleavy getting better after all this time = Little
Chances of Pietrus getting better = Great

Pietrus starter his nba career with far less skill level than what he is showing now, one can believe that he will continue his great improvement!!!!

Keeping both of them seems unrealistic because of the large amount of money that both will probably ask for!

POINT - Dunleavy has really been taking up court time that younger, more improved players (Pietrus and Zarko) should be getting!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Image



Image


migya make the ring fall on ya

All Star
Posts: 2261
Joined: Fri Jul 16, 2004 9:05 am
Location: Berkeley
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 7:07 pm
sleepyfloyd you are on point ....... :D
User avatar
Franchise Player
Posts: 5868
Joined: Fri May 14, 2004 5:05 am
Location: Brisbane
Poster Credit: 31
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 8:57 pm
migya wrote:That explanation is what I have been getting at all this time!!!!!!!
Well written BigW!

Chances of Dunleavy getting better after all this time = Little
Chances of Pietrus getting better = Great

Pietrus starter his nba career with far less skill level than what he is showing now, one can believe that he will continue his great improvement!!!!

Keeping both of them seems unrealistic because of the large amount of money that both will probably ask for!

POINT - Dunleavy has really been taking up court time that younger, more improved players (Pietrus and Zarko) should be getting!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Dunleavy D.O.B = 15/09/1980
Pietrus D.O.B = 02/07/1982

There's not a real big age difference there Migya what is it 22 months. And please study up on Pietrus past. he was playing PROFESSIONAL BALL in Europe before the NBA. Whilst Dunleavy had a NBA Rookie Season on the bench.

You can't really make that presumption Pietrus is going to improve better then Lil'Dun cause many scouts tout that Europe/International competition prepares talent better for the NBA compared to NCAA. ( Older competition, MONEY, Speed of game etc) .
PreviousNext

Return to Warriors Basketball

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests