Hudson is the most intriguing free agent

Area for news articles related to the Warriors

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 2:05 am
Hudson is the most intriguing free agent
By Sean Deveney - SportingNews

Of all the free agents left on the NBA market, no one is quite as intriguing as the just-waived guard from Southern Illinois, Troy Hudson. He is 31 and two years removed from his last productive season with the Timberwolves. His problems started with an ankle injury in 2003 and then came Timberwolves' point guard pile-on -- with playing time for Mike James and Randy Foye a priority (and with Marko Jaric third on that list), Hudson was left on the bench.

But, if nothing else, last year amounted to a year off for Hudson, who should at least be well-rested and fully past those persistent ankle issues. And if that's the case, it's difficult not to imagine Hudson returning to the form he showed before the ankle problem. Remember, it was during the Timberwolves' six-game loss to the Lakers in 2003 that Hudson blossomed, averaging 23.5 points in the series, including 37 points and 10 assists in Game 2. It's been four years, of course, but, says one Western Conference scout, "He relies on his quickness so much. If he shows he still has that, he's going to be a nice pickup for someone."

What should really intrigue teams about Hudson is that he can be had for next to nothing. He was bought out by the Timberwolves at 80 percent of his remaining two-year salary, according to his agent, Bill Neff. That should put Hudson's intake at about $9.5 million. He's not scouring the market for the big money.

Hudson's focus now is to resurrect his career, and he is not looking to do that by logging big minutes for a bottom-feeding team. He wants to take a Speedy Claxton-type route, by being a key bench guy on a contending team. Claxton, remember, didn't show much in two injury-plagued years in Philadelphia before he was acquired by the Spurs before the 2002-03 seasons. But, in San Antonio, Claxton was able to help the Spurs to a championship by knocking down big shots in the Finals. He wound up with a six-year contract because of it.

Hudson could do likewise (a six-year deal is unlikely, but he could warrant a nice contract next summer) and is hoping to join a contender. Fittingly, San Antonio was among the first teams to contact him. Cleveland, too, is a possibility, as are the Mavericks and Celtics. There are others, but Neff says it is far too early to make any predictions on where Hudson would wind up -- he only cleared waivers Friday. The Heat's signing of Smush Parker probably eliminates Miami, and I did ask specifically if there had been interest on the part of the Lakers. Neff said there was not.

Hudson is one highlight in what is a pretty underwhelming remaining free agent group:

1. Anderson Varejao. He is going to stay in Cleveland, but the only question is whether he'll be staying there for this year -- or for longer. He is a restricted free agent, and the Cavs can either sign him to a long-term deal or let him take the one-year qualifying offer. If he takes the qualifying offer, he probably will leave Cleveland next year.

2. Earl Boykins. Like Hudson, Boykins is a high-energy bench scorer and will be a bargain for someone. He is a good guy in the locker room. It seemed that the Cavs would be a natural fit -- Boykins is from Cleveland -- but there has been no interest from his hometown bunch.

3. Ruben Patterson. Patterson has had some pretty nasty off-court issues, but don't overlook the fact he was a model soldier for the injury-wracked Bucks last year. He came off the bench, started at small forward, even played a fair amount of power forward. He averaged career highs in points (14.7), rebounds (5.4), assists (2.9) and shooting percentage (54.8).

4. Chris Webber. Webber is putting off retirement and is considering the Pistons and Mavericks. Dallas is considering trades as well as P.J. Brown, so Webber is in limbo. No one seems to be in much of a hurry to resolve this, and it might not get done till early next month.

5. Sasha Pavlovic. Pavlovic is in the same boat as Varejao. Will the Cavs pay? Or will he take the qualifying offer and split next year? Both sides are pretty confident a deal will get done.

6. Mickael Pietrus. This one, too, is taking some time to work out. Teams have shown interest in Pietrus -- and sign-and-trade possibilities involving Miami or Dallas have come up -- but all that has the Warriors thinking they might be best off just signing him themselves and trading him sometime during the season.

7. James Posey. He seems locked in the same Dallas-Miami-Golden State triangle as Pietrus.

8. P.J. Brown. He doesn't move well and is not going to give you 12 points a night. But he is smart and is a calming influence on the floor. The Bulls did all they could to bench Brown over the course of last season, but the fact was they were just a much better team when he was a starter. He wants to latch on with a title contender like the Mavericks or Suns.

Hudson is definately an option as backup PG, as most teams likely will not want him as their starting PG. He can be had for cheap and if he is healthy, is the best PG still available. Interesting that Posey and Pietrus are said to be likely to be traded and yet, though Riley is interested in Pietrus, a swap of the two hasn't happened. This might well be because Posey is outpricing himself (likely the reason) but if he realises he is worth no more than 2.5-3 million a season, Mullin should and probably would get him for Pietrus immediately

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 2:12 am
It's funny. Hudson is, easily, the worst of the crop of free agent. By a lot. He's not only a bad PG who's only skill are burst of scoring... he's often injured. And old. Probably the worst free agent signing of the year for whichever team that signs him.

Boykins is the best PF available in free agency, not Hudson.

If Hudson were our only option, I think I'd rather stick to Croshere. Thanks. :wink:
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 2:52 am
TMC wrote:It's funny. Hudson is, easily, the worst of the crop of free agent. By a lot. He's not only a bad PG who's only skill are burst of scoring... he's often injured. And old. Probably the worst free agent signing of the year for whichever team that signs him.

Boykins is the best PF available in free agency, not Hudson.

If Hudson were our only option, I think I'd rather stick to Croshere. Thanks. :wink:

Don't know why you think that. He was very good a mere four years ago and as I said, if he is healthy, he would be a good contributor

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 2:59 am
migya wrote:Don't know why you think that. He was very good a mere four years ago and as I said, if he is healthy, he would be a good contributor

No. He had good numbers four years ago. But he's always been an egotistical PG, someone that cared more about his stats and the way he looks than actually playing winning bball.

I'd hate this signing, even if it were for the minimum.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 3:36 am
TMC wrote:
migya wrote:Don't know why you think that. He was very good a mere four years ago and as I said, if he is healthy, he would be a good contributor

No. He had good numbers four years ago. But he's always been an egotistical PG, someone that cared more about his stats and the way he looks than actually playing winning bball.

I'd hate this signing, even if it were for the minimum.

I think he ws a very good PG a few years ago and for cheap, I'd get him, if he acts like a knob, get rid of him easily

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 5:11 pm
I agree with TMC.

Hudson had ONE good playoff series a few years back and everybody jumped on his nuts. I wouldn't mind having some dookie braids in the Bay, but NOT Troy Hudson's old ass.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 5:47 pm
Hudson can play when healthy, that's my point, and he can be obtained cheaply now that he is getting paid a ton after getting bought out. Mullin has to find a viable option at backup PG either way

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:47 am
Hudson's agents are carrying your mind set, so best believe he won't be as "cheap" as you think. Plus, he'll be injured half the time anyway, so why waste time and money on him? He hasn't done a thing of note in the last 5 years... and his 15 seconds of fame were only attributed to one hot-shooting playoff series.

Picking up Troy Hudson is like picking up Bimbo Coles.
Role Player
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:10 pm
not to mention, do we really need another irratic dofus on the warriors? not to call SJ out, but i think were sorta an "electrified" bunch already, why push the big red button instead of going after a calming guy like Boykins
I give MC's the runs... drippin'...
~
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:20 am
tallboy12321 wrote:not to mention, do we really need another irratic dofus on the warriors? not to call SJ out, but i think were sorta an "electrified" bunch already, why push the big red button instead of going after a calming guy like Boykins

Boykins is the way to go. That guy would be a great fit here (as he was a few years ago). The problem is... how much is he asking for?
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:28 am
TMC wrote:
tallboy12321 wrote:not to mention, do we really need another irratic dofus on the warriors? not to call SJ out, but i think were sorta an "electrified" bunch already, why push the big red button instead of going after a calming guy like Boykins

Boykins is the way to go. That guy would be a great fit here (as he was a few years ago). The problem is... how much is he asking for?

Definitely more than Hudson. Probably at least twice as much.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:40 am
TMC wrote:

That's right and the cheaper the better. Hudson's recent history is of huge concern and now that I think of it, Baron is already an injury concern so having a relatively healthy backup PG is the way to go so Boykins would be nice but for 2 million a season at the most

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:02 am
migya wrote: Boykins would be nice but for 2 million a season at the most

I doubt he'll settle for less than $4...
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:25 am
TMC wrote:

Don't know what team would offer him that, especially since he is a backup PG

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 5:11 am
migya wrote:
TMC wrote:

Don't know what team would offer him that, especially since he is a backup PG

Hey, that's a backup salary. Most starters are around 7-9 million (or more for real stars like Baron or Nash).
Next

Return to News Articles