San Franciso 49ers thread

Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 2:34 pm
Well you cant run through Larry Allen every time. I know they would like to, and if they did, Gore would run for 3,000 yards. I know that Allen is the main reason, but after him, Moran Norris is the next reason. Take a look at Frank Gore highlights from 06-07, and I will guarantee you that Norris is involed in most of them.

I think that Mark Roman is out of a starting job. I think that Mike Nolan loves Keith Lewis because of his playmaking ability, as do I. He hits hard on every single play, and he has soft hands to make the pick. They will probably go back and forth, when they need a guy in coverage, Roman is quite a bit faster than Keith Lewis, but when they need to do a safety blitz or they expect a running play, Keith Lewis will be in there.

For Brandon Williams to make the team this year, he will have to impress the special teams coach. He is not going to play on offence mainly because we signed Lelie and Jackson, and drafted Jason Hill. Williams will probably be a 6th reciever. If he can return kicks and punts well, he will make the team, but that is probably it. I dont think he has a future in their offence based on last season.

Maurice Hicks is another guy that will need to step it up on the special teams practices. That is why he is on the team. Two-three years back, he was our main returnman. He is in a better position that Williams is because Gore will need to come out, and Hicks and Michael Robinson will be fighting for backup. If Hicks cant beat out Robinson, I would have to think that he is going to be done.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 5:02 pm
Yeah, I know. Just like I believed Tomlinson's success to breaking the TD record was because of Marcus McNeil, I believe Gore's success came from behind Allen. Of course, just like LT had Lorenzo Neal... Gore had Norris.

Keith Lewis is our hardest hitter... actually, he's our ONLY hard hitter. Lewis is a superb tackler. I've always liked him. Though, Roman is a better cover safety.

Like I said, Williams was decent on his returns. Hicks was better, though. Jackson, Lelie, Battle, Hill, Gilmore, and Williams. That's how the depth chart will most likely look like. So it's really preseason or bust. I heard he has some great hands though.

I think Hicks will stay no matter what. The 6th rounder RB we got shouldn't last long. With Robinson competing with Norris at FB, we'll likely see Mike switch in and out with Norris. We'll also see him at RB, but when he's not and Frank needs a rest, Hicks will step in. I don't think he'll be leaving anytime soon IMO.

What do you think about Jeff Ulbrich? Lost his job to T.J. Slaughter during the season and converted to a ST tackler. And I can't believe I forgot to mention TE Delanie Walker! I saw him on special teams and was one helluva blocker. He's got nice speed for a TE also. He's a better blocker than Vernon, but that's it pretty much. Though he'd be a really solid option during a pass play in a singleback formation.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 5:35 pm
As much as I dont want it to be true, I think that Ulbrich is pretty much done. He will probably be our 4th or 5th best linebacker. I dont think that Derrick Smith has much left in him either, but he will be okay for us this year. They said that they were both hurt last year, and that is why they werent playing up to their normal caliber.

The thing with Vernon Davis is that as much of an athlete as he is, he cant really block. Walker brings that physical tight end blocker. Vernon will be our main reciever, and I wouldnt be shocked if he and Frank Gore lead the team in receptions. Walker will likely get called in on third and 2, fourth and 1 type plays when we need to run it in. Vernon needs to get to become a better blocker, and if he does, I think he has the potential to be the best tight end in the league. If he works on his hands a little bit, he could possibly be the best ever. I know it is premature to say it, but I think that he has the overall skills, especially running after the catch, that I have never seen out of a tight end. The only one who is as athletic as him is Gates. Losing Eric Johnson hurt a bit, but hope Walker turns out good. :D
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 5:51 pm
Vernon was practically the best receiver coming out of that draft class. I mean, yeah... it was a weak receiver draft class with Santonio Holmes and Chad Jackson as the two best WR's, but still. VD is a athletic freak, any TE that has the skills could/should potentially become the best TE in the league if not the best ever. Not only does he have improve on what you've said, but he has to trust Alex more and be more mature. Yeah, he scored a TD... but he knows the rules. And yeah, we lost a game and Alex had a rough outing and didn't get him involved enough, still... you shouldn't start some attention by blaming Alex and Nolan even the slightest bit for the loss. He's a great guy, he just needs to mature a bit more as a teammate.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 2:53 am
Hey, guys, do you want me to rename the thread and move it to the Sports Board? :wink:

I'll try to split it (in the original thread and another for the Niners) once I get back home in a couple of days... I barely can post from here. :banghead:
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 3:09 am
Sure. Just rename it the San Franciso 49ers thread or something like that and move it along. It has gone a "bit" off topic since this thread was started. :-o
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:42 am
Done :wink:

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 6:42 am
Thanks for splitting it, migya. I was going to do it on friday, but the sooner the better.
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -7
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:41 am
wow, Niner fans are getting a bit happy here. But that is to be expected... especially during the offseason. Everyone is a champion in the offseason.

Not sure I see what you guys see in Smith. He certainly showed some progress but since when is a 16TD/16INT season a good season. He had ZERO 300 yard games, and in 11 of 17 games he was under 200 yards.

His QB rating was below 70 in half of his games including 5 below or at a 50 rating.

The Niners had the worst point differential of any 7-9 team in the history of the NFL.

Not saying they will be terrible. But I think another 7-9 season is in the cards. MAYBE 8-8
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:26 am
It is hard to have a good season as a quarterback when your team sucks. They had no recievers last year. Antonio Bryant was in trouble all the time, Vernon Davis was hurt, Battle was underperforming, and no one stepped it up. We added two quality recievers for him, and we drafted a burner as well. Vernon Davis is healthy again, and we drafted a right tackle who can actually block for once. He might not have a great season, and if you ask most 49er fans, they will say that he is our X-Factor. If he has a great year, so will we. If he plays like crap again, so will we. You also need to remember that he is young. He is only 24 years old. He is still developing. We arent saying that he is going to be the next Joe Montana, but it is too early to say that is going to be Ryan Leaf.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 1:59 pm
Exactly. We don't expect this kid to become Peyton Manning. And he doesn't have to. If he can give an improvement over what he did this previous season, he'll be fine and we're going to the wild card. He has a ton of weapons, they're upgraded and healthy. Now that teams will be concentrating more on Frank Gore, Alex will have a better opportunity at throwing the ball.

People don't know how we'll do. I saw one say 6-10. Another said we'll win the division. Someone else said were in between. I say, Alex takes a step forward... can we say postseason? :wink:
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 2:54 pm
I say hello postseason. :wink:
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 6:23 pm
sfsfsfgiants wrote:I say hello postseason. :wink:

OK, as long as you are saying wildcard cause the Hawks are going to win their 4th straight division championship. :headbang:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 6:26 pm
Dont get too excited about DJack. Guy does not really tough out injuries and has a knack for BIG drops.

He knows how to get open and comes up with big plays, but his lack of consistency is VERY frustrating at times. He is solid, but not a true #1 and Lelie is GARBAGE
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 6:57 pm
Someone sounds worried that his Seahawks actually have someone competing for the NFC West. :mrgreen:

We all know Jackson's story. But we're just happy that we FINALLY have a number one receiver. We know his negative's, but wouldn't you feel good to have a number one receiver on your team for the first time since TO left in 2003?
PreviousNext

Return to Sports Board