San Franciso 49ers thread

Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 5:33 pm
sfsfsfgiants wrote:
32 wrote:I don't think the 49ers are gonna miss Norv Turner. Call me crazy.

The guy they hired is top notch and he'll be using a giant chunk of Turner's old playbook from last year.

:shock: Exactly what I just said...... :shock:

Yeah. I love it how every single NFL analysist are tripping over Alex losing Norv. What I'm more concerned about is our defense. Yes, we upgraded it considerably. Our secondary got the benefit of the offseason, though Lewis isn't in coverage, but other than Willis, the work on our pass rush is concerning a bit. I'm confident in Lawson, though he had a hard time getting through. I'm sure he'll be fine... probably the conversion from DE to OLB. And honestly... I would rather have Mike Singletary as our d-coordinator over the guy they picked. Yeah... he coached the LB'ing core at San Diego, but still.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 5:35 pm
xbaywarrior wrote:
sfsfsfgiants wrote:

The guy they hired is top notch and he'll be using a giant chunk of Turner's old playbook from last year.

Yeah. I love it how every single NFL analysist are tripping over Alex losing Norv. What I'm more concerned about is our defense. Yes, we upgraded it considerably. Our secondary got the benefit of the offseason, though Lewis isn't in coverage, but other than Willis, the work on our pass rush is concerning a bit. I'm confident in Lawson, though he had a hard time getting through. I'm sure he'll be fine... probably the conversion from DE to OLB. And honestly... I would rather have Mike Singletary as our d-coordinator over the guy they picked. Yeah... he coached the LB'ing core at San Diego, but still.

See our run stopping is going to be fine with Franklin being added, and we have a butt kicking secondary, but I dont like our pass rush either. Bryant Young can still get to the QB, but he is getting old, and this should be his last year. In the draft, our first pick should be a defensive end.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 5:41 pm
sfsfsfgiants wrote:
xbaywarrior wrote:
sfsfsfgiants wrote:

See our run stopping is going to be fine with Franklin being added, and we have a butt kicking secondary, but I dont like our pass rush either. Bryant Young can still get to the QB, but he is getting old, and this should be his last year. In the draft, our first pick should be a defensive end.

Yeah, I like the Franklin addition. Nolan knows him from his days at Baltimore. I'm pretty sure he'll be used well especially with Adams gone. BY returned for one last year as a veteran leader and hoping to experience the playoffs one last time, he'll retire after this year though.

I love the Willis pick because Smith is getting older and while Ulbrich is nice, he had trouble during the year. I really like Moore, he's a beast. Honestly, my favorite pick from the Niners draft was WR Jason Hill.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 5:44 pm
xbaywarrior wrote:
sfsfsfgiants wrote:
xbaywarrior wrote:
sfsfsfgiants wrote:

Yeah, I like the Franklin addition. Nolan knows him from his days at Baltimore. I'm pretty sure he'll be used well especially with Adams gone. BY returned for one last year as a veteran leader and hoping to experience the playoffs one last time, he'll retire after this year though.

I love the Willis pick because Smith is getting older and while Ulbrich is nice, he had trouble during the year. I really like Moore, he's a beast. Honestly, my favorite pick from the Niners draft was WR Jason Hill.

Ya know what Hill is going to say to Smith on the first day of camp? Throw it as far as ya can, and watch me grab it! :D

Moore is another runstuffer. We should be great this year.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:10 pm
sfsfsfgiants wrote:
xbaywarrior wrote:
sfsfsfgiants wrote:
xbaywarrior wrote:
sfsfsfgiants wrote:

Ya know what Hill is going to say to Smith on the first day of camp? Throw it as far as ya can, and watch me grab it! :D

:headbang: Hill has scary speed. Ran a 4.32 on his 40. I'm going to love this kid. We all are. Though Pac-10 receivers have a knack for having trouble to adjust to the NFL. Most of them don't do much due to the fact that they come from sophisticated offenses with great QB's.

We should be a 10-6 team this year. I'd say 12-4 is our max. But we have a tougher schedule than last year. I can't wait to see what Frankie can do against Ravens defense.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:13 pm
xbaywarrior wrote:
sfsfsfgiants wrote:
xbaywarrior wrote:
sfsfsfgiants wrote:
xbaywarrior wrote:
sfsfsfgiants wrote:

:headbang: Hill has scary speed. Ran a 4.32 on his 40. I'm going to love this kid. We all are. Though Pac-10 receivers have a knack for having trouble to adjust to the NFL. Most of them don't do much due to the fact that they come from sophisticated offenses with great QB's.

We should be a 10-6 team this year. I'd say 12-4 is our max. But we have a tougher schedule than last year. I can't wait to see what Frankie can do against Ravens defense.

He essentially guaranteed that he will run for 2,000 yards this year.... I know who my fantasy team running back is going to be. :D
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 2:37 am
I like Alex Smith. I was sure he was going to be a bust when he was drafted, but I liked him the few games I saw him last season. He should keep growing as a player.

As for the WRs... I've got my doubts. I like D-Jax... when he plays. The guy seems to be injured pretty easily. Lelie is a bust. Battle is good, but not good enough to carry the load. I like him as the 3rd WR. Vernon should be the key for the passing game. If they stay healthy, it's not a bad group, tho.

Still, I think 10-6 may be a bit too much for these Niners. I wouldn't rule out a winning season... but it won't be easy to end 10-6. I think that that record should be the objective for next year, not for this one.

I also wonder about Norv in SD. He has failed in every other HC job he has had... and now takes over one of the top teams of the NFL. It will be interesting to see how he fares...
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:55 am
TMC wrote:I like Alex Smith. I was sure he was going to be a bust when he was drafted, but I liked him the few games I saw him last season. He should keep growing as a player.

As for the WRs... I've got my doubts. I like D-Jax... when he plays. The guy seems to be injured pretty easily. Lelie is a bust. Battle is good, but not good enough to carry the load. I like him as the 3rd WR. Vernon should be the key for the passing game. If they stay healthy, it's not a bad group, tho.

Still, I think 10-6 may be a bit too much for these Niners. I wouldn't rule out a winning season... but it won't be easy to end 10-6. I think that that record should be the objective for next year, not for this one.

I also wonder about Norv in SD. He has failed in every other HC job he has had... and now takes over one of the top teams of the NFL. It will be interesting to see how he fares...

1) Battle wont be carrying the load. Jackson will. Jackson--->Lelie--->Battle
2)10-6 for me is possible if Alex Smith and Vernon Davis take a step forward.
3) I hope Norv does well. I like him :)
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:51 pm
sfsfsfgiants wrote:
TMC wrote:I like Alex Smith. I was sure he was going to be a bust when he was drafted, but I liked him the few games I saw him last season. He should keep growing as a player.

Yep. I like Battle though, he's a cool guy. What's interesting is the similarities between the Chargers and Niners. The Chargers had a young QB in Rivers with a top RB in LT and a big, and pretty much only target in Gates. While Alex is young and has Gore, one of the best in the league and Davis, a huge target and should be the main target.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:58 pm
xbaywarrior wrote:
sfsfsfgiants wrote:

Yep. I like Battle though, he's a cool guy. What's interesting is the similarities between the Chargers and Niners. The Chargers had a young QB in Rivers with a top RB in LT and a big, and pretty much only target in Gates. While Alex is young and has Gore, one of the best in the league and Davis, a huge target and should be the main target.

I want to see more trick plays with Battle and Michael Robinson. Natural QB's who are playing other positions can be awesome to run trick plays. Double Reverse Pass, HB pass, something.

The biggest difference between the teams is that we do have some legit recievers, while San Diego doesnt. Our defence is also different, as we put more of an empasis on our secondary and linebacking core. They love getting the defensive linemen and the linebackers who like to juice up. :|

Our offense will be similar, and watch for San Diego's offense to be a lot like ours was last year.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 2:04 pm
Yeah, I always had my eye on Robinson. He was a QB at Penn State and I was wondering when Norv was ever going to use a gadget play with him. I'd run the ball with him in Madden, then out of no where, run a HB pass. We should Battle as our Antwaan Randle El.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 2:08 pm
xbaywarrior wrote:Yeah, I always had my eye on Robinson. He was a QB at Penn State and I was wondering when Norv was ever going to use a gadget play with him. I'd run the ball with him in Madden, then out of no where, run a HB pass. We should Battle as our Antwaan Randle El.

You heard that Michael Robinson is fighting for the starting fullback spot? What a change that is going from an option quarterback to a starting fullback in two years.

I was about to say that too, that Battle should be our Randle El. :shock:
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 2:11 pm
sfsfsfgiants wrote:
xbaywarrior wrote:Yeah, I always had my eye on Robinson. He was a QB at Penn State and I was wondering when Norv was ever going to use a gadget play with him. I'd run the ball with him in Madden, then out of no where, run a HB pass. We should Battle as our Antwaan Randle El.

You heard that Michael Robinson is fighting for the starting fullback spot? What a change that is going from an option quarterback to a starting fullback in two years.

Robinson's going to love it. He's a pretty big guy. Well maybe I'm just saying that because Gore is so small. But he looks like Leftwich running the ball because he seems so big. But FB would be great. Moran Norris is decent, but I think Mike can be better.

Since were on the topic of other players that don't start... what do you think about Shawntae Spencer? From starter, to CB2, and now nickel back with the addition of Clements.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 2:17 pm
xbaywarrior wrote:
sfsfsfgiants wrote:

Robinson's going to love it. He's a pretty big guy. Well maybe I'm just saying that because Gore is so small. But he looks like Leftwich running the ball because he seems so big. But FB would be great. Moran Norris is decent, but I think Mike can be better.

Since were on the topic of other players that don't start... what do you think about Shawntae Spencer? From starter, to CB2, and now nickel back with the addition of Clements.

Well, part of the reason that Gore had such a good year last year is that Moran Norris is a great run blocker. He just carves a way through that even I can run through!!! :shock: Well... maybe not...

Shawntae is not a starter. I didnt like him as a starter, and he underperforms. I see him as a great blitzing corner on the nickle from the QB's blindside as he hits hard. He can also shut down a team's number three option at reciever, but he needs to have a good year this year, or he will be gone.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 2:25 pm
sfsfsfgiants wrote:
xbaywarrior wrote:
sfsfsfgiants wrote:

Well, part of the reason that Gore had such a good year last year is that Moran Norris is a great run blocker. He just carves a way through that even I can run through!!! :shock: Well... maybe not...

Shawntae is not a starter. I didnt like him as a starter, and he underperforms. I see him as a great blitzing corner on the nickle from the QB's blindside as he hits hard. He can also shut down a team's number three option at reciever, but he needs to have a good year this year, or he will be gone.

Really? I always thought it was because of Larry Allen. Most of his runs went through the left side. No one, and I mean NO ONE could touch Gore if he ran behind the two big fellas on the left. Jennings and Allen kicked as$.

Shawntae had an impressive hit when he blitz from the corner during the Lions/Niners game. Kitna had to get knocked in some type of way because he was blind sided so bad.

How's about... Mark Roman? Is he going to switch to FS? Or is Keith Lewis starting there? Roman's a SS, but since Michael Lewis is here, I don't know what he's going to do.

Also, thoughts on Brandon Williams, the 4th rounder out of Wisconsin from last years draft? He was decent on the returns. Never really saw him lineup in the slot though. And also... Maurice Hicks? He had one good game, and that was against the Rams back in 05-06.
PreviousNext

Return to Sports Board