San Franciso 49ers thread

Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:51 am
~W~ wrote:
sfsfsfgiants wrote: :shock: Oooh, smartass here :wink:

haha, jp bro! Its tough, I'm a die hard Giants fan and its tough watching them play this year...

I can't wait til its FOOTBALL and KG COMING to the WARRIORS...

Its great to be a bay area sports fan right now. 49ers gonna make the playoffs this year, the Warriors are getting better and better, and well the Giants, we always got Timmy time :wink: .

As for the Raiders, uhhhh.... enough said. :)
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:35 pm
sfsfsfgiants wrote:
~W~ wrote:

haha, jp bro! Its tough, I'm a die hard Giants fan and its tough watching them play this year...

Its great to be a bay area sports fan right now. 49ers gonna make the playoffs this year, the Warriors are getting better and better, and well the Giants, we always got Timmy time :wink: .

:mrgreen:

Don't let pawnograffiti see that sentence. Btw, it's not like it's already THAT obvious. :wink:

Btw, this is the year we'll see if Smith has actually grown and last season wasn't... JUST last season. Yeah, it's his third coordinator in his third year but still. This season will show us what we'll have for the future.

Of course, we love our growing Warriors. And the Giants... this year we love Barry and his HR's. Next year... it'll be ALL about Timmy and his K's.

Btw, I thought this was a free agents thread. Ah.. oh well, it was J-Rich that made this thread. :mrgreen:
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:47 pm
xbaywarrior wrote:
sfsfsfgiants wrote:
~W~ wrote:

Don't let pawnograffiti see that sentence. Btw, it's not like it's already THAT obvious. :wink:

Btw, this is the year we'll see if Smith has actually grown and last season wasn't... JUST last season. Yeah, it's his third coordinator in his third year but still. This season will show us what we'll have for the future.

Of course, we love our growing Warriors. And the Giants... this year we love Barry and his HR's. Next year... it'll be ALL about Timmy and his K's.

Btw, I thought this was a free agents thread. Ah.. oh well, it was J-Rich that made this thread. :mrgreen:

Smith is the deciding factor for the 49ers this year. They went out and got him some great recievers. They got him a good offensive lineman in Joe Staley. They developed one of the best running backs in the league, and the most athletic tight end in the league. If he comes out and plays like the first overall pick in the draft should play, they could go 10-6 this year. If he plays like crap again, they will go 6-10,7-9. Alex, we love ya, but this is the year you gotta do something.

All Star
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:54 pm
sfsfsfgiants wrote:
xbaywarrior wrote:
sfsfsfgiants wrote:
~W~ wrote:

Smith is the deciding factor for the 49ers this year. They went out and got him some great recievers. They got him a good offensive lineman in Joe Staley. They developed one of the best running backs in the league, and the most athletic tight end in the league. If he comes out and plays like the first overall pick in the draft should play, they could go 10-6 this year. If he plays like crap again, they will go 6-10,7-9. Alex, we love ya, but this is the year you gotta do something.

I don't totally agree with you. If the defense actually stops anyone this year the Niners may go 10-6. If they constantly give away games Alex won't be to blame.
StuckInSoCal
(GSW for life)
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:55 pm
I don't even think Alex Smith can stop the Niners from breaking even this year.

And think about how well they'll do if he improves like last year? 10 wins is definately not a stretch if Alex plays like he did in the final games of the season...
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:56 pm
sfsfsfgiants wrote:
xbaywarrior wrote:
sfsfsfgiants wrote:
~W~ wrote:

Apparently, nearly a handful of QB's are the deciding factor for teams. Eli Manning must perform and stay consistent or else the Giants will lose. It'll be even harder with Tiki around. Then we have Romo. There are no talks of him getting an extension because of his season last year. He completely lost it in the 2nd half of the season. Not that I care of course... :wink:

But yeah, this is the year for Alex. We brought in a number one receiver in Jackson. He has Lelie and Battle as his other options along with deep threat/rookie Jason Hill. He has Vernon Davis, a TE that can run like a WR and even play as a WR. Heck, even Delanie Walker looks impressive. He has Gore... arguably one of the best backs in the league. He has Larry Allen, Jonas Jennings, Eric Heitmann, and others on that o-line protecting him. This is his season to perform. The front office brought in what they could. Sure he's lost a mentor, but he's gained a lot of talent in return.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:58 pm
xbaywarrior wrote:
sfsfsfgiants wrote:
xbaywarrior wrote:
sfsfsfgiants wrote:
~W~ wrote:

Apparently, nearly a handful of QB's are the deciding factor for teams. Eli Manning must perform and stay consistent or else the Giants will lose. It'll be even harder with Tiki around. Then we have Romo. There are no talks of him getting an extension because of his season last year. He completely lost it in the 2nd half of the season. Not that I care of course... :wink:

But yeah, this is the year for Alex. We brought in a number one receiver in Jackson. He has Lelie and Battle as his other options along with deep threat/rookie Jason Hill. He has Vernon Davis, a TE that can run like a WR and even play as a WR. Heck, even Delanie Walker looks impressive. He has Gore... arguably one of the best backs in the league. He has Larry Allen, Jonas Jennings, Eric Heitmann, and others on that o-line protecting him. This is his season to perform. The front office brought in what they could. Sure he's lost a mentor, but he's gained a lot of talent in return.

He has a mentor. His name is Trent Dilfer. He is going to make more of an impact than an offensive coordinator ever will. Dilfer has been there. He has done that, twice. Dilfer is a guy that will stick around with an organization after he retires and is an assistant to the quarterback. That was a great trade trading for him.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 2:05 pm
sfsfsfgiants wrote:
xbaywarrior wrote:
sfsfsfgiants wrote:
xbaywarrior wrote:
sfsfsfgiants wrote:
~W~ wrote:

He has a mentor. His name is Trent Dilfer. He is going to make more of an impact than an offensive coordinator ever will. Dilfer has been there. He has done that, twice. Dilfer is a guy that will stick around with an organization after he retires and is an assistant to the quarterback. That was a great trade trading for him.

True, but you cannot deny Norv Turner played a far more bigger part in Smith's improvement than Dilfer. Looking at Turner's resume, you'd have to believe he did something. Yeah, Dilfer's played as a superbowl winning QB(though he played terrible), he's started for many teams, but Turner is an offensive genius when it comes to QB's.

All Star
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 2:08 pm
xbaywarrior wrote:
sfsfsfgiants wrote:
xbaywarrior wrote:
sfsfsfgiants wrote:
xbaywarrior wrote:
sfsfsfgiants wrote:
~W~ wrote:

True, but you cannot deny Norv Turner played a far more bigger part in Smith's improvement than Dilfer. Looking at Turner's resume, you'd have to believe he did something. Yeah, Dilfer's played as a superbowl winning QB(though he played terrible), he's started for many teams, but Turner is an offensive genius when it comes to QB's.

Yeah, I must admit I'm a little worried about the Niner's offense without Turner at the helm. Although, now that I live near San Diego, it will be fun to see what the guy can do with LT and the Chargers. Not that I'd root for them, but watch them, you bet!
StuckInSoCal
(GSW for life)
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 2:11 pm
xbaywarrior wrote:
sfsfsfgiants wrote:
xbaywarrior wrote:
sfsfsfgiants wrote:
xbaywarrior wrote:
sfsfsfgiants wrote:
~W~ wrote:

You need to think of it this way: the offense that we will run this year is going to be the same that we ran last year. They wouldnt change it up on a kid who is just learning the quarterback position. Trent Dilfer memorized every single play that Norv Turner made, and put it in a way that Alex could understand.

In general, and you have to admit this, it is better to learn from experience, someone who has been there, than from a coach. Now, the coach might have been there, but Norv never played in the NFL.

A great example: Orlando Hudson, the D-Backs second baseman does not stop talking. He would go on and on and on, and he wouldnt listen to his coaches because of it. When he was in the All-star game, he listened to Barry Bonds talk for about two hours about baseball. He didnt talk, he listened, because Barry is the best hitter ever. He has been there.

It might hurt Alex a little bit, but it wont kill him, and if he doesnt have success this year, it isnt because he lost Norv, it is because he is unable to play in the league. I know it hurts to say that, but it just might be the truth.

All Star
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 2:25 pm
sfsfsfgiants wrote:
xbaywarrior wrote:
sfsfsfgiants wrote:
xbaywarrior wrote:
sfsfsfgiants wrote:
xbaywarrior wrote:
sfsfsfgiants wrote:
~W~ wrote:

You need to think of it this way: the offense that we will run this year is going to be the same that we ran last year. They wouldnt change it up on a kid who is just learning the quarterback position. Trent Dilfer memorized every single play that Norv Turner made, and put it in a way that Alex could understand.

In general, and you have to admit this, it is better to learn from experience, someone who has been there, than from a coach. Now, the coach might have been there, but Norv never played in the NFL.

A great example: Orlando Hudson, the D-Backs second baseman does not stop talking. He would go on and on and on, and he wouldnt listen to his coaches because of it. When he was in the All-star game, he listened to Barry Bonds talk for about two hours about baseball. He didnt talk, he listened, because Barry is the best hitter ever. He has been there.

It might hurt Alex a little bit, but it wont kill him, and if he doesnt have success this year, it isnt because he lost Norv, it is because he is unable to play in the league. I know it hurts to say that, but it just might be the truth.

You can run the same offense, but Turner is an excellent play caller. At least, that's what the media kept telling us last year. It's his creativity with his play calling that I think we're going to miss.
StuckInSoCal
(GSW for life)
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 2:32 pm
StuckInSoCal wrote:
sfsfsfgiants wrote:
xbaywarrior wrote:
sfsfsfgiants wrote:
xbaywarrior wrote:
sfsfsfgiants wrote:
xbaywarrior wrote:
sfsfsfgiants wrote:
~W~ wrote:

You can run the same offense, but Turner is an excellent play caller. At least, that's what the media kept telling us last year. It's his creativity with his play calling that I think we're going to miss.

I guarantee you, our new coordinator will go back and look at tape from every single play last year. They will see what he did in every situation, take notes, and redo it this year. The guy that we signed isnt some average joe either. He is a brilliant offensive guy, or they wouldnt have brought him on the team. I know that it wont be the same, but it wont devastate the team.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:23 pm
I don't think the 49ers are gonna miss Norv Turner. Call me crazy.

The guy they hired is top notch and he'll be using a giant chunk of Turner's old playbook from last year.

Besides, I know this isn't the popular opinion, but Turner didn't totally wow me last year the way most Bay Area fans loved him. I dunno, just way too many running plays called on 3rd and long for me. After a while, the other teams were sitting on it.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:28 pm
32 wrote:I don't think the 49ers are gonna miss Norv Turner. Call me crazy.

The guy they hired is top notch and he'll be using a giant chunk of Turner's old playbook from last year.

:shock: Exactly what I just said...... :shock:
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:37 pm
32 wrote:... and?

A ton of people understand that Turner's plays will remain in the rotation. Its not classified information or anything.

Just saying that I just said that....
Next

Return to Sports Board