Barry Bonds

Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 53
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:16 pm
sfsfsfgiants wrote:People say steriods helped Bonds the most because he is so good? How do you know that he wasnt that much better then everyone else in the game, with or without steriods.

That's my point.

Adam Dunn is a big, tall 'roid case who stands in the batter's box and strikes out a lot. Sure, he'll hit a lot of home runs... but the fact remains, steriods pretty much created his game (along with players like Jason Giambi).

Barry Bonds always bats over .300, is a 10-time Gold Glover, is the only person in the history of the MLB to steal 500 bases and hit 500 home runs, and (here's the kicker): Barry did it all without ever being the strongest OR the fastest.

Barry Bonds is a Gold Glove outfielder... yet, when was the last time you said to yourself, "Man, Barry's got a cannon for an arm". You never have. Thats because Barry's arm has never been the strongest. He's just a damn good fielder. Off the crack of the bat, Barry already knows whether or not he's going to move... and, if so, he knows EXACTLY where the ball is going.

He's stealing bases again this year... and he has yet to be caught... and he's doing it ON ONE FRIGGIN LEG. And, yet, Barry isn't the fastest. Hell, he's probably the slowest player on the roster. But he knows the game of baseball.

Barry Bonds is just a natural at baseball. One of the greatest to ever play the game.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:28 pm
32 wrote: Barry Bonds is just a natural at baseball. One of the greatest to ever play the game.

Anyone who wont admit this is kidding themselves
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:30 pm
Count Bill Plaschke in, then.

I'll never forget him shrugging it off and saying "Eh" when J.A. Adande called Bonds one of the greatest players of our generation. What an idiot.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:35 pm
32 wrote:Count Bill Plaschke in, then.

I'll never forget him shrugging it off and saying "Eh" when J.A. Adande called Bonds one of the greatest players of our generation. What an idiot.

People like him want to create a buzz. It gets them noticed, and starts a controversy. That is exactly what Charles Barkley did with the Warriors in the first round.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:38 pm
Excellent point. Thats why there are so few credible basketball writers these days. Even Scoop Jackson became a joke, on ESPN's staff. Right now, I think the list gets pretty thin past Mark Stein and Stephen A. Smith...

Hell, some people even don't like Stephen A. because of his on-camera persona. :dontknow:
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -7
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:41 pm
32 wrote: Barry Bonds is just a natural at baseball. One of the greatest to ever play the game.

I cant stand the Giants and I don't like Bonds at all. He is an egotistical ass but I will NOT deny this statement at all. He is the best player I have seen in my generation. Griffey Jr could have been if injuries did not derail his career but my personal feelings towards Bonds will not cloud the fact that he is the best ball player I have seen.
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:45 pm
badabing8888 wrote:

I cant stand the Giants and I don't like Bonds at all. He is an egotistical ass but I will NOT deny this statement at all. He is the best player I have seen in my generation. Griffey Jr could have been if injuries did not derail his career but my personal feelings towards Bonds will not cloud the fact that he is the best ball player I have seen.

Fans who look at Bonds like this are fine. He's an ass. That isnt an opinion. Its a fact. So is the fact that he is one of the best players ever.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:46 pm
:D Excellent post, badabing! Spot-on!

I wish more fans were as level-headed as you are. Disliking a guy, personally, shouldn't take away from what he's accomplished in his field of business. I sure as hell wouldn't bet against Barry Bonds if my life depended on it...
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:50 pm
In other words, hate him or love him, you cannot deny he is one of the greatest to ever play the game. Just like Kobe.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:53 pm
xbaywarrior wrote:In other words, hate him or love him, you cannot deny he is one of the greatest to ever play the game. Just like Kobe.

Exactly!!

I dispise Kobe as a person. He is an ass who wants everything himself, but guess what? He can play the game of basketball.

Kobe and Bonds arent in a personality contest. They are athletes who are damn good ones. I wish more people would realize this.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:10 pm
I always try my best to take any personal feelings out of it when trying to evaluate a player. Not always easy cause it is only natural to hold it against them but I do try my best.

There is only one athlete where I am completely unable to do that. My hatred for him trancends EVERYTHING. But that is only because he has PERSONALLY affected my life... not just heresay in the media. Even though he is considered by everyone as one of the greatest players the NFL has ever seen, he is a piece of sh*t and I would never say one positive thing about him
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:18 pm
badabing8888 wrote:I always try my best to take any personal feelings out of it when trying to evaluate a player. Not always easy cause it is only natural to hold it against them but I do try my best.

There is only one athlete where I am completely unable to do that. My hatred for him trancends EVERYTHING. But that is only because he has PERSONALLY affected my life... not just heresay in the media. Even though he is considered by everyone as one of the greatest players the NFL has ever seen, he is a piece of sh*t and I would never say one positive thing about him

I'm curious to know who that would be.
All Star
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:31 pm
Hmm, I was leaning towards Bill Romonowski until you said "considered one of the greatest."

I'm guessing . . . T.O?
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:33 pm
Thunder wrote:Hmm, I was leaning towards Bill Romonowski until you said "considered one of the greatest."

I'm guessing . . . T.O?

You know what's funny? I was thinking the exact same thing. Romanowski was a great player, but not one of the greatest.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:43 pm
xbaywarrior wrote:I'm curious to know who that would be.

I would be very hesitant to name the player on an internet forum. Lets just say he is one of the most prominant and well know NFL players. Thought of as one of the classiest people to have ever played. Makes me SICK!!! He caused emotional trauma to a loved one that will be with her forever. If it was up to me, I would have made it very public at the time it happened, but certainly was not my call. All I could do was help her through the ordeal...

this was all about 15 years ago now and much easier now that he is retired and you dont see and hear him all over the place.

Return to Sports Board