Barry Bonds

Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 8:38 pm
I have loved baseball my whole life, and I am a big Giants fan, and I love Barry, but I know that outside of the Giants community, almost nobody else does. I travel a lot, and I was back in St Louis for a Giants-Cardinals game, and they hate Barry there. Sitting next to the guy with the asterick behind the guy with the syringe, it got me to thinking: these people are the biggest bunch of hypocrites I have ever seen in my life. I am not directing this at the Cardinal fans, but at any fan who can look at Bonds like that.

My opinion about steroids is this: Barry might have taken them, he might not have, but for them to stand there and say that Barry has ruined the face of baseball is rediculous. It makes me mad that people can single him out about steroids when I can look at almost every team in the league and pick out two or three guys who took steroids. For example, looking at the Cardinal fans, it took everything I had not to bring up Mark McGuire, their hero, a proven steroid user. Bonds hasnt even tested postitive for anything and yet they keep that same opinion. You cannot tell me that Roger Clemens isnt using, and yet people still like him (well, they dont question him for steriods).

I know that not everyone here is a Giants fan. There might be some A's fans in here, or maybe some other team. I want to know what team you like, as well as your opinion of Bonds and why.

Personally, I am rooting for him to break the record. I like Barry and until he tests positive, nothing will change that.

I am not blasting people. I just dont understand why it is that people look at him like he is a freak.

I know that this is a sensitive subject to talk about, so everyone talk nice. :wink:
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:01 am
Very well said. :D

Being the type of guy I am, I most likely would've mentioned McGuire. It's sickening so here so many of these haters say things about a man who hasn't been proved guilty of anything. Bonds gets treated like an animal by the media and the rest of the league. I think Selig is a complete d*ck for pretty much saying he's not going to be in attendance if and when Bonds breaks the record. Bonds hit his first career homer while Bud was still in office, and he should be there if and when he breaks the record.

Every athlete uses some type of performance enhancer. I don't see why Bonds should be any different.

And I'll say it again, why does baseball get more attention when it comes to steroids than football? You hit the ball harder, you become an upgraded athlete. Football? You knock the sh*t out of a guy and endanger his life. I think it's so stupid Shawne Merriman, who's known as "Lights Out" for literally taking out three guys during a high school game by a simple tackle and is one the elite LB's in the league, gets less attention when he gets tested positive for steroids than guys like Palmeiro, McGuire, and Giambi. It's absurd that this is true.

Btw, I too am rooting for him to break the record. And even if he does test positive, I'll still like Barry.

EDIT;

Yikes, anyone catch the interview with Bonds on ESPN? "It's an embarrassment for me to be wearing this f*cking uniform 'cause of the way I'm playing. There, that's it. Now go away." He's in a slump right now. The worst of his career I might recall. He's having an up and down season. Over .300 one month, in the .100's the next. Then back in the .300's, but now is in the .100's again. The Giants losing and all this talk about him and the record may be hurting his performance very much. I mean, if bases loaded, two outs, down by two runs, and a hitter like Bonds strikes out? Yeah, he's definitely going through something.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 28
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:51 am
I am not a baseball fan or well versed in that sport but I have heard of the Barry Bonds issue. What I will say is that hypocrisy and slandering, especially without reason is wrong, obviously. What has been mentioned about athletes that have already been proven guilty of taking steroids not getting anywhere near the negative attention that Bonds has and the fact that he hasn't even been found positive for taking steroids, just shows how stupid and low level some people are. The media can go stick it as they are the worst culprits usually. These actions are downright criminal as it defames and dirties someone's name in a way that may never be repaired. Do that in the slightest way to a big time business owner and you're fuked!

migya make the ring fall on ya
All Star
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:28 am
I agree that it is foolish to say that Barry Bonds has ruined baseball or that his use of steroids has ruined baseball. It just isn't the case.

What has ruined baseball is Bud Selig. You can't hate on guys like McGwire or Bonds for roiding up, because when they did it was entirely legal. Baseball needs only to look in the mirror if they want to find the cause of these inflated numbers. And it is true that everyone has had a guy on their team that's juiced - every team.

With all that said, I don't want him to break the record. I'd rather him go down with a really bad leg injury when he is one or two away. It isn't because I think he did or didn't use steroids (although he probably did, but again - who hasn't) or that he has cheated some other way. Everything he's done has been okay in my eyes. Thing is, the guy is an A+ douchebag and I'd rather not have some egomanical jackass taking away the most hallowed record in sports from Hank Aaron. If it were Griffey, who can be spoiled at times but is still much more likeable than Bonds, I'd be all for him breaking the record. But it isn't. It is the guy with the biggest ego in the room inflating his head even more.

It doesn't matter anyway, though, because in 2018 ARod is going hit number 800.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:44 am
xbaywarrior wrote:Very well said. :D

Being the type of guy I am, I most likely would've mentioned McGuire. It's sickening so here so many of these haters say things about a man who hasn't been proved guilty of anything. Bonds gets treated like an animal by the media and the rest of the league. I think Selig is a complete d*ck for pretty much saying he's not going to be in attendance if and when Bonds breaks the record. Bonds hit his first career homer while Bud was still in office, and he should be there if and when he breaks the record.

Every athlete uses some type of performance enhancer. I don't see why Bonds should be any different.

And I'll say it again, why does baseball get more attention when it comes to steroids than football? You hit the ball harder, you become an upgraded athlete. Football? You knock the sh*t out of a guy and endanger his life. I think it's so stupid Shawne Merriman, who's known as "Lights Out" for literally taking out three guys during a high school game by a simple tackle and is one the elite LB's in the league, gets less attention when he gets tested positive for steroids than guys like Palmeiro, McGuire, and Giambi. It's absurd that this is true.

Btw, I too am rooting for him to break the record. And even if he does test positive, I'll still like Barry.

EDIT;

Yikes, anyone catch the interview with Bonds on ESPN? "It's an embarrassment for me to be wearing this f*cking uniform 'cause of the way I'm playing. There, that's it. Now go away." He's in a slump right now. The worst of his career I might recall. He's having an up and down season. Over .300 one month, in the .100's the next. Then back in the .300's, but now is in the .100's again. The Giants losing and all this talk about him and the record may be hurting his performance very much. I mean, if bases loaded, two outs, down by two runs, and a hitter like Bonds strikes out? Yeah, he's definitely going through something.

Great thing about Merriman, because I was going to come back to that later. People need to look at someone who tested POSITIVE for steriods, yet is a Pro Bowler and is third on Defensive Player of the Year. The NFL sees itself as a league where it is perfect, and they are suspending players left and right for stuff that they do outside of the game? How about not letting players get any awards for two or three years after they test positive. I know that it is strict, but if they want to protect their image, they need to take measures like this. I will boo Merriman every single time he goes out on the field knowing that he uses steriods, and in my view, will never accually win an award, be it player of the year, or even a sack title.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:52 am
Thunder wrote:I agree that it is foolish to say that Barry Bonds has ruined baseball or that his use of steroids has ruined baseball. It just isn't the case.

What has ruined baseball is Bud Selig. You can't hate on guys like McGwire or Bonds for roiding up, because when they did it was entirely legal. Baseball needs only to look in the mirror if they want to find the cause of these inflated numbers. And it is true that everyone has had a guy on their team that's juiced - every team.

With all that said, I don't want him to break the record. I'd rather him go down with a really bad leg injury when he is one or two away. It isn't because I think he did or didn't use steroids (although he probably did, but again - who hasn't) or that he has cheated some other way. Everything he's done has been okay in my eyes. Thing is, the guy is an A+ douchebag and I'd rather not have some egomanical jackass taking away the most hallowed record in sports from Hank Aaron. If it were Griffey, who can be spoiled at times but is still much more likeable than Bonds, I'd be all for him breaking the record. But it isn't. It is the guy with the biggest ego in the room inflating his head even more.

It doesn't matter anyway, though, because in 2018 ARod is going hit number 800.

See a fan who doesnt like Bonds because he is an ass, that is fine with me. I dislike a lot of players because they are asses. Roger Clemens and Jeff Kent are my least favorite players. Bonds might have taken steroids, he might not have. Right now I think that he is innocent until proven guilty. He is an ass, and as a Giants fan, I can admit that, but I really dont care how he acts in the dugout if he goes out there and hits .300 with 35 homers.
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -7
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:20 am
Anyone with ANY common sense or is not blinded by being a "fan" knows that Barry Bonds used steriods. That is just common sense.

Then beyond that, he has already ADMITTED using the cream and the clear steriod substance from Balco. He said he did not know they were steriods, but fact remains, we do know that he DID use them.

Does this make me hate or dislike Bonds. No, not at all. I wish nobody used steriods but all of baseball knew this was going on but baseball turned their heads because they were trying to rebuild the game after the strike season. They USED these players and now that the game has rebounded, they are trying to make an example of these players. It is complete BULLSHIT!

So in my mind, I KNOW Bonds used steriods. Do I think there should be an asterix by his records? A big NO to that question as well. Unless we know EVERY SINGLE player that used (which is impossible) then all records need to stand. Many players without naming names have stated that their observations were that many more pitchers than position players used steriods. So how many of Bonds HR's were hit off pitchers that were also on juice? Probably a BUNCH!

Steriods in baseball were widespread during this era... players knew it was going on, coaches new it, and baseball knew it.

It is time to look forward and clean it up, but we can't look behind us. It is was it is, but we cant penalize Bonds until we can single out EVERY single player that used.

The address the NFL question... I think the NFL does not get as much attention regarding the steriod issue is that the NFL has actually banned steriods where MLB did not actually have in writing a policy against steriods. The NFL has been testing for steriods for years and has taken is seriously for a LONG time. They did not turn their back.

They have pretty strict policies. Merriman tested positive and was suspended for 25% of the season on a first positive. Next time would be a full season. He tested positive and they took action. It is baseball that needs to clean up it act... not the NFL.

NFL has ZERO tolerance. Heck Jim Miller was supsended 4 games for taking an over the counter cough medicine that had one banned substance.
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:25 am
But see the difference to me is that while Bonds didnt knowingly take it (whether that is true or not) a number of other people took it intentionally. Giambi, Palmeiro, and McGwire all knew what they were taking before they took it, and as of right now, Bonds doesnt seem like he took it intentionally. It is the intent of doing it and knowing that it is wrong that sets those other three apart for me, and I dont understand why they dont get more attention than Bonds.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 53
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:36 am
Innocent until proven guilty.

This whole Barry Bonds thing has degenerated into a goddamn witch-hunt. They've been after Barry for how many years now? 3? 4? And they didn't even have enough evidence to INDICT him, let alone convict him.

As the old saying goes, "a good attorney can indict a ham sandwich." And I'll bet you anything they have some of the best lawyers out there trying to get Bonds. And, yet, they couldn't indict Barry Bonds.

This entire "scandal" is just an outright example of the media's total effect on how America thinks. They tell you to hate Barry Bonds. You hate Barry Bonds. Without evidence. Without a case. Without anything but mean-sounding quotes, mostly taken out of context, by butt-hurt reporters who were denied interviews by a sports icon who happens to take his privacy seriously. Now you have analysts everywhere claiming that Barry won't get into the Hall-of-Fame.

The greatest all-around baseball player of all-time might not get into the Hall. Forget the record. Forget 73 and 756. Barry was still a home run hitter. Still a base stealer. Still a gold glover. He was GREAT at every aspect of the game. Not just good, but great. And the media has cruxified this man to the point of where his life's work may go completely unnoticed and unappreciated.

We have been priviledged to watch one of baseball's absolute greatest for 20 years. And I'm not about to let the BS media manipulate my perspective on it. I've been a Giants fan. I've followed Barry. I've always liked the guy. And a bunch of butt-hurt reporters and beat writers aren't gonna change that.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -7
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:43 am
sfsfsfgiants wrote:But see the difference to me is that while Bonds didnt knowingly take it (whether that is true or not) a number of other people took it intentionally. Giambi, Palmeiro, and McGwire all knew what they were taking before they took it, and as of right now, Bonds doesnt seem like he took it intentionally. It is the intent of doing it and knowing that it is wrong that sets those other three apart for me, and I dont understand why they dont get more attention than Bonds.

Bonds has always taken care of his body. He employes specialized nutritionalists so his diet is completely balanced to exactly what he needs. His attention to detail as to what goes into his body has been well discussed and documented. To say that he just put something on his body (his entire lively hood) without knowing what it was is kind of silly.

Again, it does not take a rocket scientist to know that Bonds did steriods... not just one... not just a couple times unknowingly... not just the cream. He is/was a steriod user. But again, that does not really change my perception of him a whole lot because a large percentage of the league did, it was not officially banned by the sport, and baseball did NOTHING to stop it!
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:02 pm
32 wrote:Innocent until proven guilty.

This whole Barry Bonds thing has degenerated into a goddamn witch-hunt. They've been after Barry for how many years now? 3? 4? And they didn't even have enough evidence to INDICT him, let alone convict him.

As the old saying goes, "a good attorney can indict a ham sandwich." And I'll bet you anything they have some of the best lawyers out there trying to get Bonds. And, yet, they couldn't indict Barry Bonds.

This entire "scandal" is just an outright example of the media's total effect on how America thinks. They tell you to hate Barry Bonds. You hate Barry Bonds. Without evidence. Without a case. Without anything but mean-sounding quotes, mostly taken out of context, by butt-hurt reporters who were denied interviews by a sports icon who happens to take his privacy seriously. Now you have analysts everywhere claiming that Barry won't get into the Hall-of-Fame.

The greatest all-around baseball player of all-time might not get into the Hall. Forget the record. Forget 73 and 756. Barry was still a home run hitter. Still a base stealer. Still a gold glover. He was GREAT at every aspect of the game. Not just good, but great. And the media has cruxified this man to the point of where his life's work may go completely unnoticed and unappreciated.

We have been priviledged to watch one of baseball's absolute greatest for 20 years. And I'm not about to let the BS media manipulate my perspective on it. I've been a Giants fan. I've followed Barry. I've always liked the guy. And a bunch of butt-hurt reporters and beat writers aren't gonna change that.

My opinion exactly :D
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:19 pm
I think other than blaming Selig, you HAVE to blame the media. If anything, the media had a major role, consisting probably more than 80 percent of why Bonds is one of the most hated athletes in all of sports. They tell you lies, with no remorse. They hear these things from BALCO and what certain people are saying, then they re-edit what they've said and tell the world who Bonds really is not. Yet, they tell you all these wonderful, yet bullsh*t things about guys like Clemens and make the world love him.

The media's been telling us lies since... forever. And I'm not even saying it's just the issue with performance enhancers. But with other things like war and such. Like I said, the media is to blame for the lies they tell. A parent watches the news and is too damn stupid to realize that their reports are bullsh*t lies. Their children get curious and ask what do they mean and tell them. This continues to build on everyday and guys like Bonds get the negative part of it.

It's just unbelievable that we have MLB fans in this world who would stoop so low by saying things about players that haven't been proven for anything.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:25 pm
xbaywarrior wrote:I think other than blaming Selig, you HAVE to blame the media. If anything, the media had a major role, consisting probably more than 80 percent of why Bonds is one of the most hated athletes in all of sports. They tell you lies, with no remorse. They hear these things from BALCO and what certain people are saying, then they re-edit what they've said and tell the world who Bonds really is not. Yet, they tell you all these wonderful, yet bullsh*t things about guys like Clemens and make the world love him.

The media's been telling us lies since... forever. And I'm not even saying it's just the issue with performance enhancers. But with other things like war and such. Like I said, the media is to blame for the lies they tell. A parent watches the news and is too damn stupid to realize that their reports are bullsh*t lies. Their children get curious and ask what do they mean and tell them. This continues to build on everyday and guys like Bonds get the negative part of it.

It's just unbelievable that we have MLB fans in this world who would stoop so low by saying things about players that haven't been proven for anything.

The media eats up Barry Bonds, and it doesnt help him to be an ass to the media, but I would too if I were him because all they do is take what he says, twist it, and make him look like he is a freak.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 53
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:31 pm
What's so unfair is how the media cannonizes other players who are obvious steriod users...

Sammy Sosa hits 600 home runs and the whole friggin world throws him a party. Didn't this guy get caught corking his bat AND taking steroids?

Roger Clemens comes back. 'Nuff said. A 40-something year-old guy STILL throwing near 100 MPH? Gimmie a break...

If you want to eliminate Barry Bonds and Mark McGwire from the record books, thats fine. But you also need to eliminate every other player in the past 25 years because you don't know who took them and who didn't... and when people like Canseco come out and claim 60% of baseball was on 'roids, you can't just pick on 5 guys.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:10 pm
I went to a Giants game in St Louis and there were a lot of astericks and syringes around me. One Cardinal fan was booing him as he came up and I asked him "Why do you guys boo Bonds?" He told me, "He used steroids and messed up baseball." I looked at him and thought for a minute or so and I asked him, "Kind of like Mark McGwire did, huh?" He shut up and didnt say anything the rest of the game.

It bothers me that people know that everyone else took steroids yet they single out Bonds. They know that McGwire took steroids, but they blame Bonds for messing up baseball? How hypocritical. People say steriods helped Bonds the most because he is so good? How do you know that he wasnt that much better then everyone else in the game, with or without steriods.

One more point I want to make about how strong Bonds is without it. We can all assume that if Bonds did take them, he stopped after about 2003. He was still hitting splast hits into the cove as of last year. So when the homerun derby came around, why couldnt anyone hit it that far? Maybe it is because Bonds is still the most powerful hitter of the game, even though if he ever did take any, he isnt anymore. Justin Mourneau, Prince Fielder, and Ryan Howard couldnt even get close. They are considered the best lefthanded hitting power hitters in the game.
Next

Return to Sports Board