The Oakland Athletics Thread

Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -7
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 3:05 pm
hmm, this is a Warriors (Oakland) board but no A's thread started yet huh.

I am more of a casual baseball fan compared to the NFL and NBA but I have been an A's fan since about 1984 (when I moved here from Seattle) so I thought we should at least have a thread.

This board has to have something other than 'Gina fans
Last edited by bada on Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 3:49 pm
I thought about starting this thread but never though it would get the same support as it is true that there are more Giants fans here.

With that said, I'll open discussions with a "Danny Haren is looking like he'll be a Cy Young candidate this year" statement.

Also, who, when healthy would you start in the outfield. I would jump to Bradley, Kotsay, and Swisher but Buck deserves some consideration as well.

Along those lines, I think the ideal situation with 1B and DH would be to rotate DJ, Cust and Piazza, depending on the matchups.

It is nice having the problem of too much talent.
All Star
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 4:35 pm
I'd consider Swisher a combo of 1st and left, and letting Buck play in the outfield w/ Stewart/Kotsay switchoff and Bradley. If one of those outfielders is hurt, move Swisher to left. Have Cust switch off DH and first base. Piazza is having DL problems so we'll evaluate later.

But, it's the A's time of the year where they turn it around after their annual slow start (except last year which was weird).
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 6:50 pm
Giants fan here, just wanna jump in. What would the lineup be if everyone was healthy?
All Star
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 7:53 pm
xbaywarrior wrote:Giants fan here, just wanna jump in. What would the lineup be if everyone was healthy?

I'm not totally sure, because there have been some hot new hands as of late (Cust and T. Buck), I'm sure once Piazza and crew get off the DL they'll get another shot but whoever is playing better will get their spot.
All Star
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 9:44 pm
xbaywarrior wrote:Giants fan here, just wanna jump in. What would the lineup be if everyone was healthy?

As with JayPat, it is hard to say. I would trot this out though:

Kotsay
Swisher
Bradley
Piazza
Chavez
Crosby
Johnson
Ellis
Kendall

Buck and Cust get the short end in this, but you have to give the guys that have been there a chance to hold on to their positions. As much as I like Dan Johnson, however, I can see Beane shipping him off to get some pitching. It isn't that he is bad or underperforming, it is just he is at a position where Piazza, Swisher, and Cust can all see time.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 3:07 am

Mariners fan here. Only because I like Safeco field. And I know nothing of baseball. Guess I'm some sort of baseball bandwagoner. :mrgreen:

Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 8:31 am
Dan Haren is the real deal! Plus the A's is a second half team, its how they do their thing. Once A's gets their new stadium, they will probably dominate the WEST
All Star
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 10:48 am
TMC wrote:

Mariners fan here. Only because I like Safeco field. And I know nothing of baseball. Guess I'm some sort of baseball bandwagoner. :mrgreen:

Mariners are a pretty cool team to like. Safeco is one of the nicest parks in the league, I feel, alongside Pacbell. Not to mention the fact that Ichiro is a monster and Felix H is a stud.

If I wasn't an A's fan I probably pick the Giants or Mariners. But that's never going to happen.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 11:13 am
I dig the A's... the only thing about Oakland that I never understood is their undying hatred for the other side of the Bay. All my life, Raiders fans have hated the Niners... and A's fans hate the Giants. I don't get it. Being a 49er/Giants' fan, I don't hate any teams from the Bay... but, hey, to each his own.

One more thing:

badabing8888 wrote:hmm, this is a Warriors (Oakland) board but no A's thread started yet huh.

They were the "Golden State" Warriors, last I heard. I'd wager more San Francisco and San Jose residents root for the Warriors than Oakland residents, if (for nothing else) the difference in population. The Warriors have a huge following all over the Bay.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
All Star
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 11:25 am
I see the hatred, but I don't get it either.

I'm an A's fan but I'm also a 49ers fan (due to the fact that the Raiders were in LA when I was growing up). I think it is more a product of a manufactured "rivalry" that is suppose to come about due to proximity. I think there would be an actual rivalry if they were in the same league, but since they aren't it is more of a relaxed matchup. I think the hatred comes from two places though 1) people being foolish enough to buy into the notion that we "should" be rivals due to proximity and 2) the resentment of finances (and that beautiful ballpark).

I mean, there are people in the Giants organization that I despise (McGowan), that I think are comatose (Sabean), or just roll my eyes at (Bonds) but it isn't enough to foster a hatred of the G men. It is much easier to hate the Angels and all their snobby fans, just as I imagine Giants fans have much more hatred of Dodger fans than of any A's fan.

In short, I'd say it's mostly media hype and people buying into it.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 7:18 pm
Thunder wrote:I see the hatred, but I don't get it either.

I'm an A's fan but I'm also a 49ers fan (due to the fact that the Raiders were in LA when I was growing up). I think it is more a product of a manufactured "rivalry" that is suppose to come about due to proximity. I think there would be an actual rivalry if they were in the same league, but since they aren't it is more of a relaxed matchup. I think the hatred comes from two places though 1) people being foolish enough to buy into the notion that we "should" be rivals due to proximity and 2) the resentment of finances (and that beautiful ballpark).

I mean, there are people in the Giants organization that I despise (McGowan), that I think are comatose (Sabean), or just roll my eyes at (Bonds) but it isn't enough to foster a hatred of the G men. It is much easier to hate the Angels and all their snobby fans, just as I imagine Giants fans have much more hatred of Dodger fans than of any A's fan.

In short, I'd say it's mostly media hype and people buying into it.

I agree. The A's/Giants rivalry doesn't get much hype because of them being in separate leagues, AL and NL. This goes the same for the Raiders and Niners. I can't really say I hate the A's. I was on their bandwagon when the Giants were eliminated from the postseason and the A's were moving on up. The Raiders, I hate 'em. I don't care even though they're no here, they played in LA and that's saying a lot.

I like the A's organization. It's Al Davis I'm not a fan of.

Thunder wrote:Giants fans have much more hatred of Dodger fans than of any A's fan.

Oh yeah, you bet your bottom dollar. I hate them more than the Lakers. I believe our rivalry with them ranks second among the MLB's greatest rivalries. The Sox and Yanks ranking first, of course.

Btw, back to this being an A's thread. Sorry for the "SF Giants" spamming.
All Star
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 5:52 pm
By the way, how monsterous has Chad Gaudin been this year? What steal to get him from, who was it, Toronto?

He is pitching like Huddy used to: everything is falling off the table and batters can never get solid contact.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 2:41 am
I like Gaudin. I've seen a couple of his games, he's pretty impressive. Both Haren and him have been on an absolute roll lately.
All Star
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 6:46 pm
Anyone see the gem Blanton pitched Saturday night?
Next

Return to Sports Board