Boxing Fans?

Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 3:52 pm
I can't wait 'til Rampage Jackson takes on my boy Chuck Liddell. I like Rampage, but I'm a huge Iceman fan. C'mon Chuck! Keep your light heavyweight title!
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 2:32 am
Liddell has been champion for two years now and looking great. I recently saw the final of King of Pancrase where Vanderleigh Silva beat Rampage. Rampage will test Liddell, as he had beaten him before, but reckon Liddell will beat him this time

migya make the ring fall on ya
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 6:47 pm
Liddell will be taken far as Rampage will go, but I think he'll want to even the Rampage/Liddell series at 1-1. Wouldn't be suprised if he lost though, not only because Rampage has done it before, also because holding the title isn't inevitible.

I'm suprised The Natural came out of retirement. Why was that? Love for the sport?
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 4:52 am
xbaywarrior wrote:Liddell will be taken far as Rampage will go, but I think he'll want to even the Rampage/Liddell series at 1-1. Wouldn't be suprised if he lost though, not only because Rampage has done it before, also because holding the title isn't inevitible.

I'm suprised The Natural came out of retirement. Why was that? Love for the sport?

I reckon Liddell will be champion for quite some time as he has been real dominant. Couture came back for some reason, maybe because he just wanted to get back into the action

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 11:41 am
xbaywarrior wrote:Anyone catch the De La Hoya/Mayweather Jr. fight? I know, this sport has fallen off. I'd like to see these big fights on national television rather than having to pay $55 to watch on PPV. I think it's time they start doing that or else this sport will die off faster than they think. Won't go down as the greatest battle, but it was pretty good. I know CjR saw this... or at least did something to get to see it.

I gotta give Oscar credit... he didn't get worked NEARLY as bad as I thought he would. I know he's 'the Golden Boy', but I was chalking up another K.O. for Mayweather...
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 4:09 pm
32 wrote:
xbaywarrior wrote:Anyone catch the De La Hoya/Mayweather Jr. fight? I know, this sport has fallen off. I'd like to see these big fights on national television rather than having to pay $55 to watch on PPV. I think it's time they start doing that or else this sport will die off faster than they think. Won't go down as the greatest battle, but it was pretty good. I know CjR saw this... or at least did something to get to see it.

I gotta give Oscar credit... he didn't get worked NEARLY as bad as I thought he would. I know he's 'the Golden Boy', but I was chalking up another K.O. for Mayweather...

I thought Oscar could've done better. Interesting way to prepare for the fight the way Mayweather did. Only 6 hours of sleep and he worked out even late into the night when everyone was sleeping.
Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 12:41 am
Sorry I’m late here, X-bay. I’ve been quite busy and have not had the chance to drop in on the board, much of late.

Anyhow, yeah, I ordered the fight, and it was pretty dull. I usually root for Oscar, but not against Mayweather. I thought Mayweather would put Oscar down a couple of times (at least) en route to a decisive victory. But it didn’t happen. Surely, Oscar made the fight by being the aggressor—and he was fast and threw combinations very well, while Mayweather was just throwing pop-shots, without pressing DLH much.

Mayweather is a pure boxer who is elusive and generally fights using lateral movements and going backward. He usually dominates opponents with this style, but he couldn’t do that against Oscar. He really needed to backup Oscar to be effective and mount a sustained attack since Oscar does not fight well going backward. He becomes a defensive fighter when backed-up—and has gotten floored against the likes of Rafael Ruelas and others who pressed him. (Not sure why this wasn’t the plan). Mayweather stuck to his repertoire, kept the distance, and was out of punching range, for the most, part when throwing his shots. I though Mayweather did just enough to get an edge for the win. But depending on how you judge, it really could have gone either way, too. It was that close—and also that nondescript. :roll:
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 7:10 pm
It's cool. This whole fight was supposedly going to get boxing back on the map, but unfortunately, it couldn't live up to it's highest hype. I agree, it lacked many things. I saw it going either way also and though I was hoping for De La Hoya to win, I ain't going to lie... Mayweather is a beast.
Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 11:12 am
The last fight was a disappointment, but anyone watching the fight tonight?
Miguel Cotto ((29-0, 24 KOs) vs. Zab "Super" Judah (34-4, 25 KOs)

I think this one will be much more exciting and will produce fireworks. Zab the boxer versus Cotto the puncher. I like Cotto on this.

Sucks that it's on PPV. It has the makings of a great fight, but for casual boxing fans, these guys are not household names.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 5:47 pm
I didn't catch the fight because I'm on a trip in NYC to Boston and other parts of the east coast.

But then that is the problem with boxing and it's slow downfall. The household names are lacking and every single household name is held on PPV. I said it before... if they start putting Pacquiao's, Mayweather's, and many other household names on national TV instead of PPV, this sport could very well get back on the map.
Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:33 pm
I hear ya. It was a very good and entertaining fight, and both guys we’re bloodied up. Cotto was relentless and floored Judah late before finishing him with a TKO. It was definitely far better than the De la Hoya-Mayweather fight. (It’ll be replayed on HBO next week with the N’Dou (Australia) vs. Malignaggi (Brookyn) Jr. Welterweight Championship fight.)

Also, on Showtime, WBC Light Heavyweight Champ “Bad” Chad Dawson put on just a superb performance by demolishing a game opponent in Ruiz on Showtime. Chad Dawson will meet Antonio Tarver (who KO’d Roy Jones) next for a title unification bout. Dawson is an absolute sensation. He’s 6’3 and if successful could make a move to the Heavyweights and challenge for a crown.

On June 23, on HBO, check out British boxing sensation Ricky Hatton vs. Mexican Star Jose Luis Castillo. This will be a war and will be nonstop action.

As for the regular TV, it’s a shame, but I believe those days are gone. Big or championship fights are mainly on HBO, Showtime, and PPV. MMA and UFC are the same, but have greater appeal for younger crowds. The landscape has certainly changed, and the only way boxing will rebound IN THE U.S. if it has a US mega star in the heavyweight division. But it’s funny: last Saturday’s fight with Miguel Cotto, Madison Square Garden had the largest boxing crowd ever, over 20K for the fight. Whoever said boxing was dead. Certian demographics in the US, maybe.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:53 pm
I was quite bored with the Mayweather fight. Would you rather see a rematch between him and De La Hoya or watch say maybe... Cotto? I heard talks about Cotto possibly taking on Mayweather in the future.

Defintely not going to miss Dawson/Tarver. I'm a Tarver fan in certain fights, but Dawson has opened my eyes a bit with his late matches.

I may skip the Castillo fight. I'm not a fan of Castillo, because usually the matches I've watched him fight were not satisfying for my. Know nothing of Hatton, I may give it a shot, I just won't order it. I'll make my friend do it.

Boxing is defintely not dead. When we see the birth of a successor to Muhammed Ali, boxing will be up there again. I love MMA and UFC, but boxing will always rank higher on my list. If you've ever heard of Rampage Jackson from UFC, I'd like to get your opinion. The man says Jackson would KO Muhammed Ali if they met. I'm talking about the dominant, trash talking Ali vs today's Rampage Jackson. I question that, strongly. Thoughts? I know they're different since one is an octagon and the other is in a ring, but just saying.
Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:47 pm
First off, glad to see that you’re a true boxing fan over UFC/MMA.

The Ricky "Hitman" Hatton vs. Castillo is on HBO (not on PPV). Hatton's fights usually end up in an uptemto slugfest--and this has the makings of it. Hatton is a relentless pucher with excellent head and body attack, and Castillo will be forced to fight and bring his “A” game. (I thought for sure the hard-punching Australian Kostya Tszyu would knockout Ricky Hatton in their big showdown, but Hatton ended up TKO'ing Tszyu late in a war, instead.)

As for Muhammad Ali, ironically, I was not really a big fan, too much. And with Rampage Jackson, I'm not sure about the set-up, but this coming from Jackson, he's probably insinuating fighting in a ring—a boxing ring. Simply put, Rampage Jackson today, or at his best, could never, never beat Ali in his prime in a boxing match. Trust me, that would be simply dreamin' in a Grand Canyon scale. Ali beat some of the baddest and the best of them all: Sonny Liston, Archie Moore, Frazier, Shavers, Norton, Spinks, Foreman, and on and on. To put things in perspective, Rampage Jackson would have to be a boxer first (live, eat, breath, and sleep boxing) become great at it, and dominate great boxers and champions, before he can even be put in the same breath or ring as Muhammad Ali. Boxing has so many more elements than just meets the eye. It’s a simple, yet a complex science (like golf), that's why not just any muscle-bound, tough guy, or bad-ass can compete in the ring, or beat a Top-10 contender, or a champ, let alone beat one of the best ever.

Boxing's big money lure and fame has always been there. But no one has ever been even remotely successful of just jumping in without paying their dues first—not even Mike Tyson.

The money is there, but nobody wants to put in the ultra hard work. Actually, I’ll bet Butterbean could knock out Jackson in a boxing match (seriously), and he’s not even a real fighter.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 5:31 am
Rampage is an MMA fighter, he knows more than just punching but doesn't focus on just punching so is likely not to be as good as the real good boxers. In a real fight where all types of fighting is allowed, boxers would get destroyed by MMA fighters, no contest!

Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:18 pm
As I said before, the two sports are different. We’re talking sports only, not backyard fights outside the ring. And, as mentioned before, boxers are not claiming anything! Read Ex-Bay’s message above mine and you’ll understand my specific response.

But, I will say that great boxers will beat MMA fighters in a purely upright match, even if MMAers use their legs to fight. No doubt in my mind. Hell, I’ve even done that in a street fight.

As for the ground grappling/wrestling, unless the boxer has that as a hobby, MMA fighters can have at it. Personally, as a man, if you really know how to fight, you’d rather see or engage in a real upright fight or mano-a-mano, don’t you? Actual street fights usually end in the ground, because those fuckers don’t know how to fight and don’t want to get clocked, so they drag your ass down with them and wrestle instead.

I’ll save the wrestling/grappling to wrestlers, to the ladies in mud wrestling, or to females--with me! :mrgreen:
PreviousNext

Return to Sports Board