The San Fransisco Giants Thread

Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 12:38 pm
Even though he struggled, he still looked like a savage. Save for a couple meatballs (that, ultimately, ended up as home runs), Lincecum was throwing flame! If Armando Benitez is lucky, he'll hit 96 on the radar gun. I think Tim's low on his fastball was 95! I even saw him hit 98 and 99!

If you noticed, both home runs were off-speed pitches! Even the opening hit of the game was a change-up! Whenever Lincecum threw the fastball, hitters either whiffed or chopped it into the stands. His heater was truly unhittable... and it was only his FIRST major league start!

Even though his first MLB inning was marred with 2 homers, Timmy STILL struck out the side! I'm damn impressed with the kid, thus far. He still needs to brush up, but he's raw and pure savagery.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 6:44 pm
I don't think I've ever enjoyed watching a baseball game this much. I don't think I've ever enjoyed a loss. I didn't expect him to go deep in the game or win, but I did expect to see what I've been hearing. It sure looked like he almost hit 100 though. I was at the game, so I wasn't sure. Once this kid shakes of the Minor League rust and brush on the Major League dust, David Ortiz, Albert Pujols, Alex Rodriguez and the rest of the star hitters of today... watch out, because you're just 3 strikes away from getting K'd be a Phenom in the making. :D

Besides, he didn't really lose the game. Chulk gave up couple runs and hits to give the Phillies the lead.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 11:38 am
Barry's at 11. If he stays healthy, he'll hit 50. Easy.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 4:17 pm
Armando Benitez! Where've you been? We Giants fans have noticed your getting all these saves but have yet to witness consistent meltdowns in the 9th! Then today, you allow the game deciding double in the end. Great to see you back Benitez! :roll:
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 8:33 am
What about when Russ Ortiz comes back? What do they do? Russ was pitching really solid this year; not like the old ace he used to be, but solid. I was loving him at that 5 spot... but now, with Lincecum up in the bigs, I'm not so sure.

I, personally, would rather keep starting Lincecum and put Russ in the pen. Obviously, it will mean more losses for the Giants; Lincecum (as shown so far) is still incredibly green, but the kid's raw and he's the real fuckin deal.

In all honesty, I'd rather put Noah Lowry in the bullpen instead of any other pitcher. Here's why:

1 - Zito's the big sign... and, until Cain can make a name for himself, he's the Ace
2 - Cain's not the Giants' most popular pitcher... but he's probably their best right now.
3 - Morris is having an amazing season. Kruk mentioned that his ribs are healed, as opposed to last season when he was pitching through pain. Its definately showing. Last year, all he had was his curve. This season, the fastball is back and so's the change-up. :D
4 - Russ Ortiz is solid... and, unlike Noah Lowry, he has 1/2 rotation spot potential. When Russ Ortiz turns it on, he can be the ace of a rotation. I'd hate to have that rotting in the bullpen.
5 - Lincecum. 100 MPH flame-thrower. 'Nuff said.

Bullpen regular rotation = Noah Lowry, who should become our regular 7/8 inning set-up man. Lowry's stuff is always dangerous out of the gate, but loses its luster after a few innings. A switch to the bullpen should only help. Vinnie Chulk should remain in the SU spot... hell, I think he should be given a shot at Closer. What do you think?

Everyone else in the pen is either garbage, not ready, or mediocre.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 5:54 pm
I'm neutral on the pen, they're there one game, the next, they lose it. I'm all in for seeing Lowry in the pen, and I think Bochy would go for it, but Sabean may not like it.

Zito and Cain are our 1-2 power punch, so they stay where they are. Cain will move to number one when he finally breaks out as the league's best. Morris is defintely having a great season thus far; definitely worth as our 3rd ace. You put Ortiz 4th and keep our young gun Lincecum 5th, we should have a rotation. Move Benitez out of Frisco or as a reliever, try couple guys as closer, Lowry as our late innings worker and folks.... we have ourselves a pitching rotation.

And forgot to say... Congrats Tim on your first major league win couple games back!

Also, looks like the Giants are considering Lowry to be a midseason, end of the deadling deal. I think this is because they want to give Lincecum more time to develop just like they did with Fisher for Monta and Lowry hasn't proved he's the ace they thought when they drafted him. But my real reason to believe this... TO GIVE TIMMY SOME TIME! :D

My goodness, I forgot to say congrats to fellow rookie Fred Lewis for hitting the cycle in a blowout yesterday. Leadoff double, HR, triple, and to cap it off... a single. Freddy's been impressive since Roberts went down. I'm not saying he deserves to be called "hella good" but he has shown some type of promise.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 1:12 pm
I'm all for a Lowry trade. Get him the hell out of here. I'll bet we could probably get paid pretty well for a solid 3/4-rotation-spot kinda guy like him. Maybe (please God) a 3rd baseman who can knock out more than 30 HR's a year. [-o<

I'm not mad at the Giants' current infield, though... but it needs to be moved around. I think the best lineup they can muster would be:

C - Bengie Molina
1B - Ryan Klesko
2B - Ray Duram
SS - Omar Vizquel
3B - Rich Aurillia

Meanwhile, that gives us the recently signed Pedro Feliz as a utility man on the bench (where he plays much better, I think). Let Pedro sub in occasionally at SS and 3rd and he'll have much more productive outings. One thing's for sure: I don't wanna see him getting another 500 ABs with the kind of plate discipline he's got now. :banghead:

Franscend, Elison, Mark Sweeney, and Fred Lewis are probably all better suited for the bench this season... but Eliezer Alfonzo proved last year that he's ready for the bigs. I'd love to see him and Molina split time evenly, but you know that'll never happen. As long as the Giants don't lose him, I'll be happy.

I think the Giants can hold off on going all out for a 1st or 3rd base slugger. Aurillia is quietly making an impact, like we'd hoped he would. Now our only focus should be beefing up the pen. They're far too inconsistent... and even when they pitch well, they aren't lights out. Put Lowry and Sanchez in the pen, along with giving Chulk a few closes, and we'll be alright for now. But if we trade Lowry and don't get at least ONE relief pitcher back, I'll be pissed.

If we can get someone whose anywhere near as good as Mike Stanton was last year, we'll be fine.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 6:27 pm
A-Rod? :dontknow: [-o< The Yanks may consider Lowry though. The Clemens signing is nothing. He's only going to last this season, that's it. He'll need a replacement, and I think the Yanks with their money and ego would do it. So long as we get an offensive threat, decent-solid defensive threat and a nice reliever for Lowry, I'll be fine.

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. Klesko starts and move Aurillia to 3rd. Make Feliz as our "6th man" and maybe DH. I'd like to see Alfonzo at catcher instead, but that's not going to happen unless he impresses Bochy enough to start him.

Lowry and Sanchez would pack one hell of a late innings pen rotation. Chulk as our closer would be pretty cool too.

Frandsen, Ellison, Sweeney, and Lewis will always be our bench. They'll give our starters a rest every so and so games.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 10:22 pm
I think to land A-Rod, the Giants will have to give up at least 2 pitchers (one from their starting rotation NOT named Russ Ortiz or Matt Morris), along with a minor league hitter, and Barry's money needs to be off the books.

If Bonds and A-Rod played together at all, they'd tear it up. You might as well write the Giants a ticket to the World Series. Barry in the 3-spot and A-Rod cleaning up? Can you imagine...? :shock: :D

Aquiring A-Rod in the post-Bonds era would be nice... but having them together (even if just for ONE season) would be a dream.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 12:16 am
To land A-Rod, we'd have to give up most likely either a two pitching combo of Lincecum, Cain, Zito to go with a minor leage prospect... and well, that's not going to cut it for me. No way do we give up Lincecum. He's still entirely raw, but we've seen what he can do. Cain is a future Cy Young candidate. And Zito is our ace, Cain isn't ready to take the spotlight just yet.

You know it's funny that all this time we believed Jason Ellison was still on the Giants. He was traded in April to the Mariners.

OAKLAND -- Jason Ellison received news on Sunday that will fulfill his Little League dreams.
Before Sunday's final spring game, Ellison was traded to the Seattle Mariners in exchange for left-handed pitcher Travis Blackley.

"I'm actually extremely excited about it," said Ellison, who grew up a Mariners fan and resides about 25 minutes from Safeco Field. "It's been a childhood dream to be a Mariner. Obviously, I love San Francisco and I'm going to miss everybody here."

Ellison had been the subject of trade rumors during spring because of the limited number of spots on San Francisco's roster. But he said he didn't start worrying about switching squads until recently.

"I think lately it has worn on my mind," Ellision said. "Mostly I was worrying about making the team,"

The decision for the Giants was a tough one with Ellison, Lance Nierko and Mark Sweeney all competing for the final roster spot. Ellison hit .390 this spring with five doubles and nine RBIs and Nierko hit .362 with 10 RBIs. Sweeney was placed on the 15-day disabled list on Sunday, retroactive to March 29, with a contusion on his right foot.

"With every opportunity you get, you have to take advantage of that," Ellison said. "I was fortunate enough to do that this year."

Ellison has played 235 games with the Giants since 2003, with his most production coming in 2005 when he batted .264 in 131 games.

With Todd Linden emerging as the fourth outfielder, Ellison will get more opportunities in Seattle.

Blackley, a 24-year-old from Melbourne, Australia, combined to go 8-12 with a 4.06 ERA in 27 starts with Double-A San Antonio and Triple-A Tacoma in 2006. Blackley went 1-3 with a 10.04 ERA in 10 starts for Seattle in 2004 and missed the 2005 season after left shoulder surgery.

His best season came in 2003, when he went 17-3 with a 2.61 ERA in 27 starts in Double-A.

This was reported April 1st, 2007.

EDIT;

Also, what an outing by Lincecum. 7 innings pitched, allowed 2 hits, 1 run, no earned runs, 1 walk, and 10 strikeouts all in 95 pitches thrown. Now's that some quality pitching. =D>
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 4:41 pm
Damn. I had high hopes for Jason Elison.

And Lincecum's just doing what he does best. It should shock me. But it doesn't. The kids ripping it up.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 7:08 pm
Once Ortiz is back and healthy, he'll be pitching in the pen. Lincecum has been impressive in his outings so they will not change their current starting rotation. I'd say once Ortiz is 100%, move him to starter and put Lowry in the pen. Then we can go from there.

In other news, congrats to JayPat and his A's. Destroyed and rattled Zito in the first game. Was able to break through Cain off of two questionable calls. But just couldn't hurt Morris. They said last year that Morris was playing in pain throughout the whole year, and now that's being proven. He's pitching real well.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 8:17 am
Morris is playing like our ace, this year. He's got his best stuff working nearly every game and he's been far more consistent than any other pitcher on the staff (except, arguably, Cain). He's earned his money so far this year.

And I second the idea of putting Noah Lowry in the pen once Russ Ortiz comes back. It may hurt his trade value... so maybe an alternative would be trading Noah Lowry BEFORE Ortiz is back on the roster full-time. Either/or works for me.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 6:59 pm
Noah Lowry for 3rd baseman who can play defense plus players to be named or ect. I've seen Aurilla at 3rd, he's nice, better than Feliz, but he's struggled a bit. He's played SS, 1st, and now 3rd.

All Star
Poster Credit: 5
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 11:08 pm
lowry's been one of or best starters this year. im very happy with him. i say if we trade anyone, as well as morris has pitched, a team in need of pitching would send us a major league ready hitting prospect for him. morris has one more year on his contract, which is also attractive for a team. fact is, if im sabean im not giving away any of my young pitching. if we get a jeff francouer or a young good hitter back ok maybe i'll think about it. but no more rentals to attempt to get into the playoffs. look at accardo in toronto now, he's doing great! and who'd we get? hillenbrand ? chulk(choke). keep the arms, start drafting the best hitters available in the draft, give signing bonuses, and we'll be fine.
"Losing is inevitably close to winning," Guber said. "They're inches apart. Drama. If you have drama, you've got a ticket to sell." "They're not real fans," Lacob said. "They don't have season tickets."
PreviousNext

Return to Sports Board