Pat Riley wants to be Heat coach

Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Poster Credit: 21
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 1:06 pm
This might not be much an interest to u guys but this story bothers me. Pat Riley is looking like he wants to coach the heat next year, after Stan Van Gundy brought the Miami heat to the Eastern Conference Finals. I respect the Career Riley has had with the lakers and all but give me a break. He needs to stop his selfishness of wanting another ring and let Van Gundy do his job.
Rookie
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 1:28 am
Talk about a vulture... :roll:

All Star
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:48 am
ya.. Riley looks like he want a piece of the action.. He should just let Van Gundy go do his thing.. It has worked so far though Shaq was a part of that teams resurrection..

Tim
"The only yardstick for success our society has is being a champion. No one remembers anything else."
-John Madden

Role Player
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 6:29 pm
It wont happen.

Poster Credit: 21
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 6:47 pm
Bdavis_Jrich_fan wrote:It wont happen.
hmmm no ****, its been a while since this was posted...but it will if they start struggling
Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 12:36 am
ajcardenas123 wrote:
Bdavis_Jrich_fan wrote:It wont happen.
hmmm no ****, its been a while since this was posted...but it will if they start struggling

If the heat struggle with that roster, Van Gundy should be fired.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 5:48 am
Not so simple!

Heat had better chance with the roster they had last season - Better suited role players.

Jason Williams and Walker are definately not role players and there is a huge chance of chemistry problems existing! Both guys like to shoot alot and that will cause problems!

The Heat revolve around O'neal and especially Wade and the other players have to work around them. James Posey looks like a great fit, similar to how Eddie Jones was and the fact that he also plays defense is a real plus!

Hope all goes well for them though.........

migya make the ring fall on ya

Role Player
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 4:31 pm
All they did during the offseason was improve thier team(although Eddie Jones did add a good veteren presence to the team). But your right. if Van Gundy screws up i say get rid of him
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 2:29 pm
I dunno, migya...

You say that Jase loves to shoot, and while I agree with that, he's a helluva playmaker to go along with it. Besides, if I had a team with Shaquille O'Neal pounding it away inside, the first thing I'd do is go after a couple three point shooters! Antoine Walker and James Posey are great players overall, but the Heat aquired them to be outside reign men when left wide open.

Shaquille O'Neal (inside) + Kobe, D-Fish, Glen Rice, Robert Horry (outside) = Championship

Shaq's team didn't go too far when it was dominated by players like GP and Karl Malone. Karl didn't play the same side as Shaquille, so his midrange was useless, and Gary didn't shoot nearly as well from the outside! Miami see's this and immediately tries to avoid the same outcome. By starting Walker at the 4 spot and Posey at the 3, along with Williams and Wade in the backcourt, they pose a lineup that are all capable of knocking down treys when O'Neal draws a double (or triple) team. It's a flawless system. No one in the league can guard O'Neal one on one, so there will be plenty of open shots for the rest of the team. Just kick it in, kick it out, swing the ball, and fire! I like this lineup a lot more than their lineup last year.

Being professionals might be hard for these players, but it all depends on how badly they want a championship. GP is there on the bench (along with O'Neal) to remind them that egos are only going to shatter the dream. I have faith in the Heat this season to go out and get a ring. Why?

- Because Shaq is as motivated as KG is and that's a bad thing for the rest of the league. He wants another ring so he can wear something on his middle finger the next time he see's Kobe (and for that reason alone, I hope he gets one).

- Because Dwayne Wade is just that damn good

- Because Antawn and GP are getting close to the finish line and it's time to decide how bad they want a ring

- Because Jason Williams is a proven playmaker (especially with stars)

- Because Stan Van Gundy is a better coach than his brother

- Because Pat Riley is going to stay the hell out of it (if Riley touches the situation, it'll all go to hell... I truly believe that had he not been given Magic Johnson and Kareem Abdul-Jabbar and the rest of those legends, like Cooper, Worthy, ect, I truly believe that Pat Riley would have never accomplished anything as a coach. That's my honest opinion.)
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 6:12 am
Good points!

I heard that Haslem will start at PF though. Walker is not a high percentage outside shooter, he is alright, but not great. Also he likes to shoot the ball alot and that will have to be kept to a bare minimum on this Heat team or things will get rowdy!

Posey is a great player that should flourish with Shaq and Wade. He does it all and his defense will really make a difference, especially since Walker and JWilliams don't play any.

I reckon that Wade showed last season that he is the best player on the Heat! He was just amazing and deserves all good things! Shaq needs to stay healthy and attack the basket like he did 3 years ago - Aim to dunk every time. He looked a bit soft last season!

Riley did well with the Knicks don't forget - Took that team and made them successful. He should stay the fuk out and let Stan Van Gundy have a chance to do something with his head coaching career and not be a selfish prik like he always is

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 11:04 am
As far as I'm concerned, Pat Riley got rings with the Lakers because anybody coaching Magic and Kareen was going to get a ring. It was inevitable.

He went to the Knicks while they were a playoff team, don't forget. Charles Oakley, John Starks, Patrick Ewing... the Knicks had a great team at the time, but he just couldn't get it done.

Follow up his disappointing season where he couldn't get the Knicks a ring with his disappointing seasons at Miami (where, even with Tim Hardaway and Alonzo Mourning playing their best NBA seasons at the same time, he couldn't get it done)... well, I just see Pat Riley as over-rated.

Great NBA coaches are like Larry Brown; he took a Pistons teams with virtually no star players and got them an NBA title just by getting them to play together. Larry Brown is an amazing coach. The reason I look down on people like Pat Riley and Phil Jackson is because they've been given great teams their whole careers as coaches; it only makes sense that they win a bunch of games. But Riley couldn't get it done without Magic, just like Phil can't get it done without Shaq or MJ. Larry got it done without any stars. I respect that.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 5:28 am
Absolutely! Both Riley and Jackson are gold diggers, especially Phil Jackson - I remeber him saying after the bulls won their second threepeat, that he would never coach again and then when he saw a great opportunity to get a title with Kobe and Shaq he was all over it! Sure he is good and he got the Lakers to be organised, but he had the pieces! Now this season will show what he's made of - I expect him to winge and quit after the lakers do so bad this season! Be the worst season any team coached by Jackson ever had!!!!!!

:D

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 9:05 am
I suspect Jackson will blame the losses on his players... because he took most of the credit for them winning championships, so when they lose... it can't possibly be his fault! :roll:
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 5:23 am
Be great to see him SACKED for the first time!!!!

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 8:00 am
We can only hope, man... that would be the greatest thing ever!
Next

Return to Sports Board