The San Fransisco Giants Thread

Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:49 pm
I'm not sure about A-Rod. He sure does have a hot bat, but Abreau is stinking up the place and the others have yet to come through. That's why I'm not a Yankees fan, they try to buy theirselves into winning. Money doesn't get you wins. I've tried it in MLB 2K7. To experiment, I turned on force trades, traded away for the best players or at least top five at each position and simulated the whole season. What record did I come up with? 100-62. I have the best overall team, ranked 1st in everything, but yet did not even dominate the season or make it to the Fall Classic. Sure, it's a simulator... but it's made a point, money doesn't buy you championships.

The other night, Durham was huge for us. Then today, against the D-Backs, every opportunity he was given at bat he either grounded out of struck out. Bonds was HBP and IW a bunch of times. Durham, didn't do diddly squat. I like Ray, but tonight he's proven me that he's just like the rest of our defensive stoppers. Great on the glove, terrible or inconsistent at bat.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 12:16 am
Another great outing wasted thanks to the bullpen. Cain had a one hitter going through 6, Bonds hit 742, but Taschner and Chulk lost it for us. I didn't catch the whole game, but if Cain went 6 innings with only one hit aloud and only allow one earned run, then why the hell would you take him out? Was Bochy doing his overmanaging thing again?
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:06 am
xbaywarrior wrote:Another great outing wasted thanks to the bullpen. Cain had a one hitter going through 6, Bonds hit 742, but Taschner and Chulk lost it for us. I didn't catch the whole game, but if Cain went 6 innings with only one hit aloud and only allow one earned run, then why the hell would you take him out? Was Bochy doing his overmanaging thing again?

Nah, Cain had hit around 90 pitches by the 5th inning. He had a rough 5th, with about 30 pitches, and I guess Bochy just wanted to take him out because he started falling apart. At the time, it didn't seem like overmanaging because Cain threw a ton of pitches in the 5th and really began to come apart. Sending in Taschner is usually stupid, but he pitched decently. The real problem was the usually-solid Vinnie Chulk giving up a 3-run homer to give the Diamondbacks a lead they'd never give up. They brought in Lil' Maddox to get a ground ball to end the inning... and the DBacks went yard on him. Tough break for Chulk AND Cain.

Barry's hot and word's getting around. Its like 2001, where if you didn't walk him, he'd hit one out on you. Teams are taking notice. Bonds is starting to club homers out at will again. When Barry's locked in like that, there's not much you can do.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:38 am
Oh alright. I read the stats and caught the 8th-9th inning.

But I'm glad to see Barry hitting like his old self again. It's like watching a pissed off at the world player taking it out on the baseball. If Bonds keeps it up and the Giants make the playoffs, he should be considered MVP regardless of all the issues going on.
All Star
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 12:49 pm
Giants are hot! Wish the A's could catch some of that momentum. :?
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:25 pm
Well we just got swept by the D-Backs. So we've cooled down. Hopefully we can pick it up again. I don't care about the Giants right now; no disrespect. I'm a Warrior right now. :)
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:43 pm
xbaywarrior wrote:Oh alright. I read the stats and caught the 8th-9th inning.

But I'm glad to see Barry hitting like his old self again. It's like watching a pissed off at the world player taking it out on the baseball. If Bonds keeps it up and the Giants make the playoffs, he should be considered MVP regardless of all the issues going on.

Barry Bonds will never win another MVP Award. He may deserve it after this season (especially if things keep going how they are), but the MLB has all but excommunicated him.

Bonds is quite possibly the greatest player in the history of sports who won't get his dues when his career is over. It's sad (and definately wrong), but its the truth.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:04 pm
Yeah. I'll laugh in the media's face if he gets to keep the HR record and then some.

Also, Sabean is considering to promote Lincecum up to the Majors. We have no room, so he might consider trading someone. He said because the Yanks are suffering tough times with their pitching staff and start showing consideration for Lowry or Morris, he may listen to offers just to get Lincecum in the rotation or pen. That'd be great, Lincecum is dominating the Minors. I can't wait to see this kid pitch on HDTV.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 8:11 am
:D Bring him up! I'm all for another 100-MPH thrower in the rotation!

... but do you really think the Yankee's are going for Lowry or Morris (a couple lukewarm guys)? The Yankee's always go for star power... so if the Yanks are taking a glance at the G's lineup, it automatically scares me because the best pitcher, right now, is clearly Matt Cain... :oops:

Sabean, if you trade Cain or Lincecum, I'll kill you myself.
All Star
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 10:39 am
I can't believe Sabean not bringing up Lincecum because there's no room. What does the kid have left to prove in the minors? 31 innings, 4-0, 0.29 ERA, and 46 Ks? It is foolish to have him sitting down there.

Your the GM. You have an abundance of pitching but so much where potentially your best player isn't getting a chance. Move Morris or Lowry for ANYTHING, just to give Lincecum a shot. I can't believe Sabean.

I speak mostly from a fantasy standpoint though. I'm sitting on Lincecum, Hughes, and Miller in a Keeper league.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 11:07 am
Thunder wrote:I can't believe Sabean not bringing up Lincecum because there's no room. What does the kid have left to prove in the minors? 31 innings, 4-0, 0.29 ERA, and 46 Ks? It is foolish to have him sitting down there.

Your the GM. You have an abundance of pitching but so much where potentially your best player isn't getting a chance. Move Morris or Lowry for ANYTHING, just to give Lincecum a shot. I can't believe Sabean.

I speak mostly from a fantasy standpoint though. I'm sitting on Lincecum, Hughes, and Miller in a Keeper league.

Lincecum in a keeper league is damn start.

And I totally agree with your logic. Move Noah Lowry or Russ Ortiz to the bullpen, if you need another spot. Lincecum is too damn good. He's already the Giants ace... and he hasn't even played a game.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 7:24 pm
32 wrote::D Bring him up! I'm all for another 100-MPH thrower in the rotation!

... but do you really think the Yankee's are going for Lowry or Morris (a couple lukewarm guys)? The Yankee's always go for star power... so if the Yanks are taking a glance at the G's lineup, it automatically scares me because the best pitcher, right now, is clearly Matt Cain... :oops:

Nah, I don't. But the Yanks can be full of suprises. No way do they take Cain, he's our best ace. In a few years, he'll be one of the best in the league. If he gets trade, I, like many, will call for his head. I'd love Lincecum's arm up here in Frisco, just not if we have to give up Cain or any of our young studs or best players.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 10:43 am
xbaywarrior wrote:
32 wrote::D Bring him up! I'm all for another 100-MPH thrower in the rotation!

Nah, I don't. But the Yanks can be full of suprises. No way do they take Cain, he's our best ace. In a few years, he'll be one of the best in the league. If he gets trade, I, like many, will call for his head. I'd love Lincecum's arm up here in Frisco, just not if we have to give up Cain or any of our young studs or best players.

To me, here are the untouchables:

- Matt Cain
- Tim Lincecum
- Barry Bonds

That's it. Everyone else can be had, for a price. Hell, I'd even be willing to deal Barry Zito if the right offer came around. But you never trade the best hitter in the league (which, undoubtably, is Bonds... when he's healthy) and you don't trade a couple guys that are primed to take over the league (like Cain & Lincecum). But anybody else: Ray Duram, Randy Winn, Bengie Molina, Pedro Feliz, Dave Roberts... they're all available. Even guys like Omar Vizquel and Rich Aurillia should be considered, for the right price.

The Giants need a closer, they need a couple pithcers for the bullpen, and they need a powerful infield hitter (and, no, Pedro Feliz and/or Lance Niekro are not the answers). To attain those, I think you gotta put everything on the board.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 9:26 pm
Oh definitely. I don't think there are any other Giants worth more value than those guys. I'm sure no one wants Bonds because of the contract and issues he has surrounding him. But no doubt, he's the best in the game when healthy. Cain's proven this season he's a winner. You don't know what he'll give you. He may show us a no-hitter some time soon. Lincecum hasn't shown us anything yet because well... HE'S NOT IN THE MAJORS! Bring him up Sabean! Whadaya waiting for?!?

I'm all in for trading guys like Zito, Aurilia, Sanchez, or Vizquel. So long we get equal value in return. I don't want to trade Zito unless we get a name in return or couple guys in the pen plus a solid fielder/hitter. We could use a closer and I'm not a Benitez guy just yet. He's up there in saves with his un-Benitez like season thus far... the only eyebrow raised is, how long will this last? He's been used a bunch of times, even in games that weren't save opportunities. He's likely to feel the fatigue set in sometime.

Bonds, Career No. 743. :headbang: Then... the go ahead two-run single in the 8th. :D
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 9:43 am
What a savage. All 4 runs batted in by Bonds, then he leaves the game because his work is done. What an absolute beast. :D
PreviousNext

Return to Sports Board