The San Fransisco Giants Thread

Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 9:23 pm
Great post, 32. Way to sock it to 'em. :) But just for JayPat, to show is team some type of love. That Travis Buck fella... that's his name right? Well he sure is something special. I think he'll turn out real well for the A's future. Kicked ass today against Chuck Norris' Texas Rangers. Alright, enough love there or else I might have to increase my liking of the Giants:A's ratio to 98 : 1.

Anyway, Aurilia has came up big for the Giants. We beat the World Champs off of Aurilia's late game heroics. Jus' waiting on Cain's first win, and I'm set to finally watch a Giants game at the ballpark.
All Star
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 3:25 pm
Yeah Travis Buck is a stud, I hope we don't not resign him. :mrgreen:

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 3:25 pm
The King is back, baby!

Barry F'n Bonds is atop the NL in homeruns, currently tied at 6 with Jimmy Rollins. His ABs per HR ratio is currently at a whopping 9.67 (the craziest since '01, when it was 9.1)!!!

Bonds also leads the Top 10 HR hitters in the NL when it comes to slugging percentage (.804), on-base percentage (.466), and batting average (.348). By the way... he's also struck out less times than any of them (7) and drawn more walks than anyone (except Chipper Jones, who has had 22 more AB's).

Bottom line is, right now, Barry Bonds is looking like MVP material.

Even though the G's started slowly, they're hanging at .500 with (basically) no help from their lineup, other than Barry and Richie. Could the Giants be darkhorses for the wildcard if Bonds stays healthy?? At the rate he's at, I'd say the Giants could probably challenge for the division if the Dodgers have a key injury or two...
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 6:46 pm
Yeah, suprisingly... he's batting lights out against Ryan Howard and Albert Pujols. I didn't see this coming. But I seriously doubt he'd win it, I'm not sure the MLB would award him it because of the whole steroids scandal and A-Rod is definitely going to get it if he continues to come up big.

Matt Cain for Cy Young! I doubt it because it'll likely go to Halladay or Santana, but it'd be great. The Giants just need to help him out. He's had three impressive outings, two of 'em wasted because of the bullpen and lack of offense those two times. Zito's finally coming through after a tough first week. Hope he keeps it up. I'm just waiting on Lowry, he was my favorite pitcher (yes, even over Schmidt when here) until Cain came in.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:01 pm
Eh. I'm not sold on Noah Lowry. When he's got his best stuff working, he's B-list material. And he's not very consistent, so he's usually working with C-grade stuff.

I guess he's decent for a 4th spot in the rotation, but I wasn't thrilled when he was sitting at the #2 or #3 spots. I just think he's mediocre.

:dontknow:
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:50 pm
Lowry's been... I don't want to use the word, but he's been somewhat disappointing. After his 6-0 rookie season, I had high expectations next season. I mean sure, he did pitch more games the following year but he hasn't shown me his true potential honestly. This is coming from my perspective of course.

I was hoping to see Schmidt this series, but his arm is falling off so whatever. I'd rather have him pitching than the Dodgers in first.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 4:39 pm
Jason Schmidtt is dead to me.

You know whose kinda growing on me lately? Steve Kline. I absolutely hated that fool last year, but he seems decent enough this season. I still think Bochy's a damn fool for using him as an SU or a closer, but it's better than giving him more than an inning. Kline's stuff pretty much evaporates after 2-4 batters. :banghead:

Let-downs so far this year:

- Ray Duram (so far)
- Pedro Feliz (again)
- Bruce Bochy!
- Barry Zito (but I'm sure he'll come around)
- Randy Winn (horrible sign, too many years, too much money, ect)
- Eliezer Alfonzo (when does this fool get to play!?!)
- Dave Roberts (decent on the bag, but can't bat for sh*t... and not as good a fielder as I thought)

Savages:

- Barry F'n Bonds
- Richie Aurillia
- Matt Cain
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:11 am
Ehhh... well, yeah... I'm just not a huge fan of much of the pen besides Sanchez. This is just me of course. I like Kline, I think he'd be great to bring in with two outs or one out to go. Bochy's a bit over-managing to me, I'm not sure what he's doing with the pitching rotation from starter to pen. Dunno, maybe he's trying to hard.

I agree with the let downs and savages list.

- I think Durham will come around like Zito, but he's been somewhat of a disappointment thus far.
- I haven't heard much from Feliz lately.
- Zito should come around, I just think he had a tough first week.
- I liked Winn when he first came here, but I too believe his contract is a bit too much.
- I didn't understand the Molina signing, I thought Alfonzo was going to be something special for the Giants at catcher.
- I heard Roberts was an excellent fielder, but I have yet to show his stuff. He has excellent speed, but terrible batter. I didn't expect him to do much on offense, he wasn't much of a offensive guy to me anyway. Excellent bunter from what I've heard... has he bunted yet?
- Bonds has really bounced back. I'm proud of him. Shut the media up BARRY!
- Rich has been clutch for us some games. Honestly, I'm all in for getting rid of Feliz, moving Aurilia to 3rd base and having Klesko start at 1st.
- Cain... well he has his reasons for being 1-2. He could've been 3-0, but yeah. So far Morris and him are the best pitchers for the Giants thus far. I think Zito will bump Morris down though.

On another note, great outing by Morris. The pen came through. I almost thought Benitez was going to get ran over my Furcal on the last out because he seemed so slow getting to the bag and tagging it. Great to hear the ol' "GIANTS SUCK" chants. Whatever, I think the way we're playing... we'll either get the sweep or lose once. Won the last 8 of 9? We're UNSTOPPABLE, BABY!!!
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:13 pm
Great points!
xbaywarrior wrote:Bochy's a bit over-managing to me, I'm not sure what he's doing with the pitching rotation from starter to pen. Dunno, maybe he's trying to hard.

That's exactly the word I've been using about Bruce Bochy; he's WAY overmanaging. I think he's getting better, giving Cain and Morris more innings (respectively) than in previous games... but I still think he's just doing too much. When a pitcher's hot, you don't always have to pull him in the 6th or 7th. I know he wants to 'conserve their arms'... but trust me, Zito hasn't gotten hurt since HS, Matt Cain is 20 years old, and Noah Lowry's a young arm, too. If you need to rest guys like Morris and Ortiz, I understand. But pulling a guy like Cain out prematurely makes absolutely no sense to me.

xbaywarrior wrote:- I think Durham will come around like Zito, but he's been somewhat of a disappointment thus far.

I hope so. The last thing we need is another Randy Winn. :banghead:

xbaywarrior wrote:- I didn't understand the Molina signing, I thought Alfonzo was going to be something special for the Giants at catcher.

Yeah, me too... thats why the Bengie Molina signing surprised me so much. At first, I thought maybe they signed him to back up Alfonzo... but it didn't take me more than a day to realize that they just made a bad choice. I like Molina as a fielder and a game-caller, but his bat can't compare to Alfonzo's. If Eliezar had a little more plate discipline, he'd be among the best batting catchers in the league. No question.

xbaywarrior wrote:- I heard Roberts was an excellent fielder, but I have yet to show his stuff. He has excellent speed, but terrible batter. I didn't expect him to do much on offense, he wasn't much of a offensive guy to me anyway. Excellent bunter from what I've heard... has he bunted yet?

Aside from Zito, Dave Roberts was the guy I was excited about getting. Russ Ortiz and Rich Aurilla were former Giants, so I knew what to expect. Roberts seemed like another Omar Vizquel; a guy who could get on base often, wreck havoc with pitchers while on base, and field like nobody's business. So far, he can't hold a candle to Omar's fielding or hitting... and that worries me. If we signed Dave Roberts PURELY to be a base-stealer, we overpaid. Hell, we could have just brought up Jason Ellison to pinch-run every game. :banghead:

xbaywarrior wrote:- Rich has been clutch for us some games. Honestly, I'm all in for getting rid of Feliz, moving Aurilia to 3rd base and having Klesko start at 1st.

Me too! In fact, I'd be open to ANY and ALL Pedro Feliz trades that weren't complete hoses for the Giants. If we could get a couple decent relievers for Feliz and a few picks, I'd be down to trade him. Pedro Feliz is the Mickael Pietrus of the Giants.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:10 pm
Yeah, I'm wasn't too happy to see guys come out when they were pitching fire and there was plenty of their arm left. We have young arms who can give us a complete game. No need to worry if their arm will fall off. If he's going to do that, minus well let the pen pitch the majority of the game.

I liked Alfonzo last season. I thought when we brought him in, he was an excellent fielder. But I agree, he would be one of the best catchers if he was a better batter.

I knew nothing about Roberts from San Diego. The only thing I heard was that he was an excellent fielder who could potentially lead the league in stolen bases. But I don't think we signed him for that reason, he's just probably struggling. But Ellison was traded wasn't he?

Yeah, I think Feliz could be worth a couple minor leaguers and then some. I lost interest in him since last season. He's really nothing more than a backup to me... really, I see him backing up Bonds, that's what I see.

Other than that... LET'S GO LOWRY!!
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:35 am
Ellison is not available for trades. Several teams have contacted the Giants looking for him, with no success thus far. I wonder why that is? I mean, the Giants never play him in the majors... and they just signed two center fielders (Winn and Roberts) to the payroll. They can't possibly think that a talent like Jason Ellison will be around in a couple years when Roberts expires and Winn moves back to RF. They may as well get what they can out of him. Ellison is one of the fastest dudes on the roster... and his bat's rapidly improving. If Ellison can put on a little more muscle and raise his BA, I see him as a poor man's Mike Cameron. Amazing potential.

Lowry had a decent outing. At least he held the Dodgers below the Giants. He probably owes Barry Bonds a steak dinner for saving his ass on that one, though. And Armando Bennitez limped through another save. I swear, the pithces he throws are NOWHERE near the target when Molina or Alfonzo sets them up. Aside from his shitty spitter... and that slider that he uses way too often, his fastball is all he's got. And, honestly, I don't think I've ever seen him have any control over his fastball.

You get the feeling Benitez is just throwing hard out there, in no particular direction. :|
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:25 pm
Yeah, I wasn't sure why they didn't choose to keep Ellison up in the Majors. He had a great spring outing. Give him a couple years, and he'll prove to be better than Dave Roberts.

Lowry almost killed it for the Giants yesterday. Luckily the pen held up for us. Benitez's fastball is all he's got. His splitter and slider are terrible. He needs to go away from those two pitches or start improving one of 'em. I was all in for him going to Boston or where ever he was going to go, and even though he's limped through a couple saves, it's only a matter of time where he's going to kill that Giants winning trend.

Who's the hottest team in baseball? That's right... the Giants are. What is that? 9 of 10? It's tied 3-3 in the 7th. I don't mind if we lose tonight, we've taken this series away from the La-La Dodgers anyway.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:11 pm
xbaywarrior wrote:Yeah, I wasn't sure why they didn't choose to keep Ellison up in the Majors. He had a great spring outing. Give him a couple years, and he'll prove to be better than Dave Roberts.

I think Ellison probably has more potential than any other non-pitcher on the team. He's that good. Niekro isn't even close (and never was. He's the Luke Walton of baseball). Fransend is decent, but I don't see him being a star, either (best case scenario being the next Robbie Thompson). Todd Linden's flashed boat loads of game, but he's not getting too much of a shot behind Barry (I wouldn't mind seeing him at RF more, though... especially since Winn is doing so terrible). I've yet to see that stud 3rd baseman we signed last year to a development deal.

And the rest of our hitting talent isn't very choice; Travis Ishikawa, Justin Knoedler, ect, ect. All very lukewarm.

The Giants need a stud 3rd baseman or 1st baseman to take it to the next level. A guy who can field decently (read: competantly, not Golden Glove or anything) and knock out 35 HR's a season. Pair that with a Barry Bonds, a Matt Cain, and a Barry Zito... and it almost might be enough to make us forget about the situation with our closer. :banghead: :roll:
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:21 am
:dontknow: A-Rod? :mrgreen:

I like Linden. I thought he was going to have a great year if Barry didn't come back. Those two are our future(Linden and Ellison), I don't know why we're still sticking with certain vets who haven't done diddly squat this season thus far besides Bonds of course. I really thought I was going to see those two start full time, I don't know what the Giants are waiting for.

Durham came around tonight helping the Giants take the lead in the 8th. We're in first now I believe. That's our 8th straight win, 9 out 10 wins. Swept our rivals, and now on to the desert.

Btw, you goin' to the all star festivities this year? I'm not a HUGE fan of going to such events(especially baseball), but since it's in the bay, I may give it a shot. I went to the NBA all star weekend when it came to Oakland and it was a pretty neat experience. Honestly, to me that's really a weekend to spend with either your family or old friends.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:02 am
All Star Weekend might not be my kinda thing. I'm not big on those huge events because I can't stand crowds. If there's one thing that annoys me, its waiting 15 minutes to go to the bathroom, then standing in line for another 10 minutes to get garlic fries, then machette-ing my way out to my seat through a sea of humanity... only to find that I'm crammed next to two huge guys that I've never met in my life. Honestly, I'd rather just crack open a cold one, turn on the big screen, and have a bunch of friends over. We'll probably make a BBQ out of it or something, but I doubt me and my buddies will go.

I'd be down for A-Rod... but is it too little too late? Sure, the guy's clearly the best player in baseball. That being said, he has yet to win a Series on the totally stacked New York Yankees. I mean, we're talking about an organization that went out and aquired Jason Giambi, Johnny Damon, and Bobby Abreau (all of which would be franchise players anywhere else) just for kicks. Every year, the Yankee's try to buy the Series... and, thus far, Alex hasn't gotten them there (and, yes, he's responsible, as the best player they have).

I think that an Alex Rodriguez and Barry Bonds tandem would have World Series written all over it... but, unfortunately, we won't have enough cash to snag A-Rod until Bonds is off the books. But it's a nice dream. Hell, who knows. Maybe when the Giants pitching all fills out (Cain, Sanchez, Lowry, Lincecum, ect), they'll have Series dreams with A-Rod. I'd definately be down.
PreviousNext

Return to Sports Board