The San Fransisco Giants Thread

Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:36 pm
32 wrote:Major League Baseball 2K7 is a helluva game, btw.

Is it really? I was thinking about picking it up since I haven't bought a baseball game in a lonnnng time. How would you rate it? My friends say it sucks, btw. I would pick it up here because there's a game store down here in South Beach that has it cheap.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 4:29 pm
xbaywarrior wrote:Is it really? I was thinking about picking it up since I haven't bought a baseball game in a lonnnng time. How would you rate it? My friends say it sucks, btw. I would pick it up here because there's a game store down here in South Beach that has it cheap.

I'd give it my approval. Coming from a guy whose a veteran of High Heat baseball and Sony's MLB series, I can personally say that 2K7 is the best game, graphically, that I've ever played. Realistically, I'd probably go with High Heat... but, like I said, that franchise isn't around anymore.

My brother is a fan of EA Sports' "MVP Baseball" series, which I could never catch onto. It was too arcade, to me. Unrealistic, flashy, gaudy MLB. If you're into that sort of thing, than definately don't pickup 2K7. It focuses far more on the pitcher vs batter confrontation, rather than the MVP series that's more about what happens AFTER the pitch is thrown. Plus, 2K has a few nifty features (such as the Base Burner mode, which allows you to become the baserunner and attempt steals, rather than other games that simply have a steal button).

If you're looking for realism, than I'd strongly recommend 2K7. But if you're into a party-style, arcade game that you and your friends can just pick up and play for 15 minutes before doing something else, than I don't think 2K7 would be the right choice. It really depends on what you're looking for. With me, realism is a must. I respect the NBA Street series for it's gimmicky strangeness and cartoon-style fun, but I can't live without my NBA2K7. The same goes for my football (Madden) and baseball (2K7) games.

I'd grab it, if I were you. I bought it used for $55 on Playstation 3 and haven't been disappointed. BE WARNED, though: if you have a PS2 or an XBox, you might not get the same experience. Most games on next-gen hardware (PS3, 360, Wii) are seriously different on current-gen systems. This entire review was based on the PS3 version of the game.

As far as 'rating' this game... I have 9 Playstation 3 games, and here's how they stack up:

1) Resistance: Fall of Man - Excellent shooter, scares the hell out of me sometimes. Just a great game to kickoff the system with.
2) NBA 2K7 - Best basketball on PS3 by far... and that counts a lot with me. I play this more than anything, bar none.
3) Fight Night: Round 3 - This reviews' a little unfair, because I kind of burnt myself out on it when my friend bought his XBox360 a year back. Don't be mistaken: it's an excellent game, probably would have been ranked higher if I hadn't already gotten my fill on 360.
4) Major League Baseball 2K7 - Nothing more to add.
5) Def Jam Icon - Virtua Fighter is actually a better game than Def Jam... but Def Jam has a kickass story mode and can go online, both are which are totally lacking in VF5.
6) Virtua Fighter 5 - See above.
7) Need for Speed: Carbon - Once I beat the story mode, I lost my will to play this game. Its still pretty sweet whenever I have people over and wanna show off my PS3, but, for the most part, its collecting dust right now. Zero replay value.
8) Marvel Ultimate Alliance - Same as NFS, but worse. This isn't a party game. Once you beat it, its over. Terribly disappointing (I wish Marvel would come out with a HUGE fighter game like this on PS3).
9) Madden 2007 - I need TMC's puking smiley face for this one. Terrible on PS3; a great PS2 game... but just a terrible transition onto next gen systems.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:10 pm
I have both the Xbox and Xbox 360. As far as rating goes, I've checked the reviews on it, and it seems to be about what I could expect from a baseball game but higher.

Resistance must the Gears of War for the PS3. Gears keeps you glued on to your seats and is one of action games that are challenging. Some action games these days can be too easy. Icon seems fun too, I played it on the 360 and the Build-a-Label story mode is pretty good. Carbon seems fun also, but at the end, it's just another one of those games. I don't know about Madden, on the 360, I like it more. But there isn't much of a difference.

Anyway, back to 2k7. It seems like it's the type of game that you would have to rent to see how good it is before you'd buy it. I did it with Live 07 and NBA 2k7, and it saved me money. I might give MLB 2k7 a try, since it feels like a decade since I last bought a baseball game. 2k has been pretty impressive with it's first couple sports games they put up from what I've read. I wouldn't know, NBA 2k7 is the first and only sports game I own from their brand. But yeah, thanks for the heads up.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 2:47 am
I miss those days when I had time to play games... :banghead:
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 2:07 pm
xbaywarrior wrote:I have both the Xbox and Xbox 360. As far as rating goes, I've checked the reviews on it, and it seems to be about what I could expect from a baseball game but higher.

Resistance must the Gears of War for the PS3. Gears keeps you glued on to your seats and is one of action games that are challenging. Some action games these days can be too easy. Icon seems fun too, I played it on the 360 and the Build-a-Label story mode is pretty good. Carbon seems fun also, but at the end, it's just another one of those games. I don't know about Madden, on the 360, I like it more. But there isn't much of a difference.

Anyway, back to 2k7. It seems like it's the type of game that you would have to rent to see how good it is before you'd buy it. I did it with Live 07 and NBA 2k7, and it saved me money. I might give MLB 2k7 a try, since it feels like a decade since I last bought a baseball game. 2k has been pretty impressive with it's first couple sports games they put up from what I've read. I wouldn't know, NBA 2k7 is the first and only sports game I own from their brand. But yeah, thanks for the heads up.

Gears of War is the single game my buddy has on XBox 360 that made me almost buy one myself. Honestly, I'm not a Halo fan (which is strange, because I love shooters)... so the XBox has never been THAT attractive to me, but Gears of War was an excellent game when I played it.

And when renting MLB2K7, remember: don't be intimidated at first... it took me about 2 games to finally catch onto the controll schemes and stuff. Naturally, I played the game with "Classic" batting controls (I'm too old school to bat with an analog stick) and made a few other adjustments... but, other than that, its a great game out of the box.
All Star
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 3:57 am
Anyone know if the new Tony Hawk game is any good? I always liked those.

All Star
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 6:57 am
MLB '07: The Show's Opening Day
Release of Sony's baseball title steps up to bat in May.
by Jeff Haynes
March 21, 2007 - Sony Computer Entertainment has held the baseball crown for two years on the PS2 with their first party title, The Show. MLB 07 was solid on both the PS2 and the PSP, and PS3 owners couldn't wait to get their hands on the title. Unfortunately, the release of PS3 version of the game slipped from February to March, and then again to April, which placed its high definition debut solidly after the start of the baseball season.

Well, baseball fans, looks like The Show isn't ready for primetime just yet. Both EB Games and the PlayStation.com websites are reporting that MLB 07: The Show will be stuck in the minor leagues for a bit longer, making its arrival on May 15, 2007, a full 45 days after Opening Day. No official statement was available from Sony as to the new date for the game.

We'll have more on MLB '07: The Show soon

I have been waiting for the show's release instead of picking up MLB2k7 based on reviews I have read, but I was tempted because of The Shows late release :dontknow:
The Broe Knows Dont Hate....
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:04 am
:dontknow:

I'm not mad at The Show... in fact, if it weren't delayed so many times, I probably would have never tried 2K7. Overall, if the PS3 version of the show is just like the PS2 version (with better graphics and more features), than I'd probably rather have that game, in retrospect. Don't get me wrong; 2K7's a good game. But I don't think it's as good as The Show.

I'd give MLB: The Show a 9/10, as far as baseball games go. I'd probably give 2K7 an 8, which is better than the 3 I'd give to MVP Baseball. High Heat is still the only 10/10, though. :wink:

Getting back to the Giants, Tim Lincecum got MORE ink in the latest ESPN Magazine, under the section "Guys You Will Know":

Buster Olney wrote:Tim Lincecum
RHP, Giants

The six-foot righty with the whirling dervish windup blew away vets in camp. He's 22 and has only started eight games in the minors, but opposing batters hit just .127 against him.

They also bashed Armando Benitez, as an added bonus:

Steve Phillips wrote:Closer Armando Benitez was hurt (knee), ineffective (60 baserunners in 38.3 innings), boorish (ducked media, blamed others), and disliked by the home fans (boo!) last year, so if he starts slowly, he could be traded.

Steve Phillips wrote:"If I say healthy, who's going to be the closer? Who else have they got?" - Armando Benitez, who must not have seen hard-throwing young RH Brian Wilson pitch in camp.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:04 am
HEADS UP, GIANTS FANS:

Something I'll bet you never thought you'd hear: Matt Morris has been the best starter of the season so far!

It was the strangest thing ever. During yesterday's game, I was actually cussing when they pulled him in the 6th (I know he was starting to come apart and Bochy probably knew that, but he held the Pad's to just 1 run! Besides... who else you gonna put in? A bunch of meatball throwers like Taschner and Bennitez? Even Correia sucked yesterday!).

The Giants rotation is why I was excited to start the season... and, thus far, it's been the worst part about it. :banghead:
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:18 pm
Zito was like, damn the first game. His second start was solid, until that meltdown. Matt Cain had his moments, his best was gone to waste with the lack of offense.

Don't you just love Benitez? He just somehow makes your heart pound fast and want to beat the f*ck outta the man if he blows the game. Lucky the Giants had some Padres make mistakes during the 2nd inning I believe. What happened to the Pads CF? Couldn't see the ball?

Rookie
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:16 pm
The Giants rotation is why I was excited to start the season... and, thus far, it's been the worst part about it.

I'm gunna have to disagree with you there. I don't think the starting pitching other than Zito has been that bad... the offense has just been horrific. 20 runs in 9 games is just not going to cut it. This is the worst Giants offense in recent memory. Its like... 1-0 deficit = Game Over.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:44 am
Russ Ortiz had a nice outing yesterday. My buddy was pissed after the 9th inning homer... but anybody who completely shuts the other team down from the second inning until the 2nd to final out is doing an OK job by me. Nice win for Russ... the first he's had, I believe, since August of '05?

Barry F'n Bonds is back. I remember Mike Wilbon last year saying that Barry's 2-homer game against the Braves would probably be the final multi-home-run game of his career. Scratch one for Mike Wilbon. :wink:

The King's got 3 dingers in less than 30 AB's so far. I think its safe to say that Bonds' results hinge PURELY on his health. Unlike most analysts and experts, who are claiming that Bonds' alleged use of steriods have left him a mediocre player in his twilight, I believe Barry Bonds is to hitting what Bill Russell was to the blocked shot. Barry's hitting the past 3 seasons has looked straight-up Tony Gwynn; he's no longer an overly-aggressive long-ball hitter looking solely to smash the first pitch he see's; Barry Bonds is a refined, finely tuned hitting machine. I remember back in the Jeff Kent days when Barry Bonds was either a homerun or a strikeout. Now, unless the umpire is screwing him over, its pretty rare to see Barry go down on strikes (interestingly enough, he's only had 3 thus far in 9 games. Compare that to 1998, when he struck out 92 times in 156 games.

By the way... who the hell is the Giants official closer? I know Bennitez is the obvious answer... but I've seen the Giants go with Kline and Chulk both this year (plus, I've heard Brian Wilson rumors). Anybody else excited that the Giants look primed to deal away Bennitez??? :mrgreen:
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 12:41 am
What I've noticed about Ortiz in the past is that he's a nice hitter for a pitcher. Btw, nice outing. He went 0-8 last year.

I'm a Bonds supporter also. I don't understand what the fuss is all about. Sure, he's chasing a league record, but since when does baseball players who take 'roids get more attention than football players that take 'em? You're not hurting anyone in baseball besides the ball, football, you could potentially end someone's career. I didn't see anyone making a big deal when Romanowski or Merriman took 'em. Whatever, haters. :boxing:

About Benitez, I heard they were trying their best to deal him away. That's why he hasn't always been the man closing it out, or pitching in the 9th. Honestly, I thought they should've just pulled the trigger during Spring Training with whoever they were talking to. Who cares if he was impressive in the desert? The guy still gives you a reason to boo his ass out of the stadium.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:18 am
Excellent point, regarding Bonds and steriods! I've never heard that argument before about football and injuring people... it makes a lot of sense!

My thoughts on the issue are this: Barry Bonds may or may not have taken some sort of performance enhancing drugs in a time where players were popping 'roids like candy. Unless you want to disqualify every player in the past 20 years from the Hall of Fame, then shut the **** up. Barry Bonds shouldn't be treated any different than any other player who came out of this generation of ball players. Many estimates have claimed that more than half of the players in the league had taken SOMETHING around the time Barry began getting questioned.

Another point is this; Barry's maintained his size since being questioned. Don't you think that if Barry really WAS taking steriods, he'd quit once they put the microscope on him? And don't you think his body would shrink back up (like McGwire, like Canseco, like Palmero) when he stopped taking them? So why's he still so big?

People are making ignorant claims, like "who hits more home runs in their later years than in their younger ones?" A HELL OF A LOT, if you actually check. Hell, even current Giants (like Rich Aurrilia and Ray Duram) became power hitters later, after being much softer hitters earlier in their career. All-time examples include Barry's father, Bobby, and good ol' Hammerin' Hank himself.

I'm also curious as to why no one is questioning pitchers about steriods...?

Ryan Howard comes out and belts a slew of homers and all of a sudden the 'roid rumors start flying like crazy... but Roger Clemens, whose been pitching for the past 20 seasons, comes back at age 40-something (still throwing high 90's fast balls, mind you) and nobody says a damn thing. I think its hypocritical and I think the entire thing is a big witch hunt orchestrated by the media (whose always hated Barry) to screw him over.

Its unfair, its unjust, and its unAmerican. In America, a man is innocent until proven guilty. Unfortunately, for Barry Bonds, that's not really the case. Amazing how forgetful the American people are. We're currently celebrating Jacky Robinson for being a hero in baseball culture, but we're crucifying Barry Bonds in an incredibly similar fashion to the way Robinson was treated. And nobody seems to notice. :roll:
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 3:35 pm
It's sad to see him treated that way. When Bonds was on crutches and gave a statement to the media saying something like he doesn't know if he'd come back, he thanks the media and others for helping potentially ending his career, and just tells them to leave him along so he can be with his family. I just don't understand, what has the world come to? Bonds is has that nice figure back with the Pirates, then all of sudden, he gets bigger with the Giants, hits a bunch out of the park, and the media treats him as if he's an animal? It's just stupid, and now... the guys like BALCO are going back in time to track down the retired of the game and accusing them of taking steroids?

Who cares if he took steroids? Which one is more important to the media? A baseball player shattering an all-time great's record or a football player ending a potent stars career, or even his life? It's dumb, it's ignorant, it's unnecessary. Sure, they're giving the wrong idea to the younger ones who have a dream to go pro, but what athlete isn't trying to find ways to enhance theirself to do better? I'll say it again... it's stupid, it's dumb, it's ignorant, it's unnecessary. The haters just need to back out of their lives. :agrue:
PreviousNext

Return to Sports Board