Game Thread: Warriors @ Houston Rockets 2007-04-04

Talk about the upcoming Warriors game here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Can the Warriors pull out a victory in Houston?

Poll ended at Wed Apr 04, 2007 4:33 pm

YES
88%
NO
13%

Total votes : 16

All Star
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 4:33 pm
Golden State Warriors (35-39) @ Houston Rockets (47-25)

Start time 5:30 PM PST @ The Toyota Center

Probable starters for the Golden State Warriors
ImageImageImageImageImage
PG - Baron Davis
SG - Jason Richardson
SF - Stephen Jackson
PF - Al Harrington
C - Andris Biedrins

Probable starters for the Houston Rockets
ImageImageImageImageImage
PG - Rafer Alston
SG - Tracy McGrady
SF - Shane Battier
PF - Chuck Hayes
C - Yao Ming

Team leaders this season
PPG - B. Davis (20.4) | Y. Ming (24.8)
RPG - A. Biedrins (9.6) | Y. Ming (9.5)
APG - B. Davis (8.3) | T. McGrady (6.4)
SPG - B. Davis (2.1) | R. Alston (1.6)
BPG - A. Biedrins (1.8) | Y. Ming (1.9)
I've been a Warriors fan since they traded Chris Webber. Can you imagine how that's like....
Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 5:09 pm
Ming will get his points. The key is to just make it as difficult as possible. Might have to use Foyle to keep him out of the paint. And Biedrins needs to not get into foul trouble with him because Ming is the best free throw shooter on the team anyway. Just limit him and McGrady to 50 points between the two of them. Don't let guys like Shane Battier burn us, which means closing fast on 3's. They also have to crash the boards when Yao shoots those fadeaways, otherwise Chuck Hayes will have an offensive rebounding field day.

Gonna be a real tough game. But the warriors are fighting for thier lives and we must win. Dubs by 5

Edit: Baron should have his way with Rafer Alston, that's the one matchup we can really exploit.
All Star
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 6:36 pm
Yeah, I agree. They will use Foyle, because I bet Biedrins will pick up his share of fouls against Yao. I bet our defense will thrive against Yao, bothering him and picking up lots of steals/turnovers. We need to not let McGrady explode though.

Warriors by 5.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 7:10 pm
McGrady will go off for 30 plus, noone on the team can guard him. Yao has to be attacked on offense! Monta, JRich and SJackson, as well as anyone else that takes it to the basket, have to take it to Yao and get him to foul. Biedrins needs to attack Yao himself at times to see if he can draw some fouls and Yao will definately try to do the same to him. Definately comes down to not giving open shots, especially threes, to guys like Battier, Alston and Head (if he is playing) because that is all those three do and they do it well! The team has to play some sort of defense or they have no chance. Baron playing alot of minutes would be great but likely won't happen so it will have to be the big 5 that can play for the team that take on the HUGE 2 of the Rockets.

Rockets by 8

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 8:01 pm
migya wrote:McGrady will go off for 30 plus, noone on the team can guard him.

Stephen Jackson can. But McGrady gets a lot of reputational, bullshit calls for being a superstar... and SJax might get ejected if he gets fed up from being whistled for no reason.

The Warriors' defense has been wrecking havoc on perimeter players lately. Nash was neutralized, Arenas had an off-night, and Kobe (when 50 points is the norm for him) was held below a Grant. Yao will get his, there's no doubt about that. But if Golden State can force Van Gundy's jogging, slow, post-focused team into running for half the game, Golden State can't lose. Yao, Howard, Hayes, and Battier are all average to poor players in a run-and-gun style.

Look for Nelson to continue starting Monta, instead of Biedrins, to force Houston into a running contest.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 8:40 pm
TMac can score on anybody and maybe only Pietrus, if he's feeling it, can slow him down any

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:25 am
I'll be away til next Sunday... with no internet access. That means no games for me this week. :banghead:

Hope we have a good record in the trip. For this one, more based on faith than anything, Dubs by 1.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:37 am
TMC wrote:I'll be away til next Sunday... with no internet access. That means no games for me this week. :banghead:

Hope we have a good record in the trip. For this one, more based on faith than anything, Dubs by 1.

Going on a ho crawl? :mrgreen:

All Star
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:49 am
Lets send Skip back to the And1 mix tape tour.
"The only yardstick for success our society has is being a champion. No one remembers anything else."
-John Madden
All Star
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:28 pm
32 wrote:
migya wrote:McGrady will go off for 30 plus, noone on the team can guard him.

Stephen Jackson can. But McGrady gets a lot of reputational, bullshit calls for being a superstar... and SJax might get ejected if he gets fed up from being whistled for no reason.

The Warriors' defense has been wrecking havoc on perimeter players lately. Nash was neutralized, Arenas had an off-night, and Kobe (when 50 points is the norm for him) was held below a Grant. Yao will get his, there's no doubt about that. But if Golden State can force Van Gundy's jogging, slow, post-focused team into running for half the game, Golden State can't lose. Yao, Howard, Hayes, and Battier are all average to poor players in a run-and-gun style.

Look for Nelson to continue starting Monta, instead of Biedrins, to force Houston into a running contest.

absolutely agree as to this last part. Small ball run and gun is the only hope. The ws have to jump out and run and gun. They have NO 1/2 court game, and Rockets will kill them at a plodding Van Gundy pace. At the Ws pace of Suns, Wizards, mavs games, etc...Ws have a real shot. On D, double Yao every time, cause otherwise, Biedrins is out with foul trouble. I like the small ball idea a lot, making the rockets play catch up and run them off the court. That said, a tough one. Hate to say it, but I think realistically, they lose this one by 12...IF ws score 115 they win.
To Live is A Value Judgment - Albert Camus
3 reasons for living: Jazz, Hoops and women

President Barack Hussein Obama - America chose Hope over Fear
ImageImage
Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 1:01 pm
We got this Baron will want to play after his ejection.
Ws by 8
Role Player
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 1:17 pm
Are you kidding me? W's won't have to put up 115. They only need 100+.

That said, putting 100 on the Rockets won't be all that easy for the W's. Small ball to run them off the court in the first and third quarters (assuming the game is close enough). Pu t a body of Yao as soon as he hits the paint, especially coming down the court from D. Just hit him, wear him down all game. TMac will score, Yao can be worn down (POB/Foyle/Biedrins makes 18 hacks), contain Skip and Battier.

W's up 8.

All Star
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 3:04 pm
I wish i can watch this game because it will be a huge contrast between two styles of basketball. Van Gundys slow it down and grind 1/2 court game with defense as an emphasis. Nelsons run and gun with minimal defense but with a lot of scoring and fastbreaks.
"The only yardstick for success our society has is being a champion. No one remembers anything else."
-John Madden

All Star
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 3:49 pm
W's will lose this one by at least 10pts! The W's one the road and playing against a great half court team! Yao will get at least 32 pts against the W's bigs!
Role Player
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:49 pm
Can they? Yes, they can. Will they? No, they won't.
Next

Return to Game Threads