Game Thread: Washington Wizards @ Warriors 2007-03-23

Talk about the upcoming Warriors game here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Can the Warriors take care of the Wizards?

Poll ended at Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:38 pm

YES
100%
NO
No votes

Total votes : 15

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 12:38 pm
tHe_pEsTiLeNcE wrote:
32 wrote:- Baron Davis unquestionably outplayed Gilbert Arenas. Gilbert's crazy ass, in equal time, netted 5 less points, 5 less rebounds, 2 less assists, and shot 20% worse from the field than Baron. Health aside, NOBODY should ever question who the better player is between those two. Crunch time was the best example: Gilbert tried to pick his team up by carrying them on his own, whereas Baron picked his team up by getting everyone into it (and sustaining the team's energy). Clearly, we're in better hands with Baron.

I disagree. This was Baron's best game of the season and just an average game for Arenas.

You don't think that Baron, in equal minutes, is the better player?

Arenas might be the better scorer (by a hair, thanks to his 3-point range), but Baron is a much better team general, playmaker, tempo-changer, and defender. All of the reasons that Arenas is considered "better" than Baron all have to do with issues that don't relate to their games (ie, Baron's injury prone, Baron can't play as many minutes).

I believe, in equal time, Baron Davis is the better player. Without question.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 12:46 pm
Great game! I sat right next to the side w/ all the balloon sticks. It was crazy during the second half!

Also, anyone listen to Damon Bruce absolutely rip on Stephen Jackson on KNBR after the game?
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 12:50 pm
JayPat wrote:Also, anyone listen to Damon Bruce absolutely rip on Stephen Jackson on KNBR after the game?

No. What'd he say? :evil:
All Star
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 1:02 pm
32 wrote:
JayPat wrote:Also, anyone listen to Damon Bruce absolutely rip on Stephen Jackson on KNBR after the game?

Well he got all riled up, and first off said "NO ONE should get thrown out of that game" (pissed at Jax, not the refs). Then he called him a moron. Then he said "either you are the most stupid and selfish idiot in the world, or you are a douchebag." He was almost yelling, it was hilarious. He'll probably get in trouble though, although it wasn't racist or anything which the Krueger thing was (I think).
Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 1:15 pm
Yeah, that was definitely a great game and victory. When Sjax was tossed, I was on the edge right away and since the Gizzards were shooting lights out the first half.

But Baron, man, what can I say. He really willed his team into victory and with great support from Dre, Monta, and J-Rich. I’m really very proud of these guys for not wilting. I think this was their defining moment.
Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 1:28 pm
JayPat wrote:
32 wrote:

Well he got all riled up, and first off said "NO ONE should get thrown out of that game" (pissed at Jax, not the refs). Then he called him a moron. Then he said "either you are the most stupid and selfish idiot in the world, or you are a douchebag." He was almost yelling, it was hilarious. He'll probably get in trouble though, although it wasn't racist or anything which the Krueger thing was (I think).

Damon Bruce is an ass. He’s a doubting-Thomas, and he’d say anything to get a reaction. Yeah, one can easily conclude that it was stupid for Jax to get tossed (hell, a doorknob can conclude that), but clearly the ref fucked this one up.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 1:38 pm
CjR wrote:
JayPat wrote:
32 wrote:

Damon Bruce is an ass. He’s a doubting-Thomas, and he’d say anything to get a reaction. Yeah, one can easily conclude that it was stupid for Jax to get tossed (hell, a doorknob can conclude that), but clearly the ref fucked this one up.

Amen.

All Star
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 1:47 pm
I was at the game & called in to the Bruce show & said SJax frustration was probally a carryover from being called for 5 fouls in the 4th quarter of the Jazz game, also I said that yea SJax blew his top some but so did you Damon Bruce which got a pause & then a laugh from the jerk off, he then replied I am not fighting for the playoffs :bday:
The Broe Knows Dont Hate....
All Star
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 2:34 pm
CjR wrote:
JayPat wrote:
32 wrote:

I agree, but I do think it is fun to listen to him. He went totally overboard with the SJax thing. Maybe he was just trying to create controversy for the callers to call in, and something to argue about during the show.
All Star
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 2:45 pm
32 wrote:
tHe_pEsTiLeNcE wrote:
32 wrote:- Baron Davis unquestionably outplayed Gilbert Arenas. Gilbert's crazy ass, in equal time, netted 5 less points, 5 less rebounds, 2 less assists, and shot 20% worse from the field than Baron. Health aside, NOBODY should ever question who the better player is between those two. Crunch time was the best example: Gilbert tried to pick his team up by carrying them on his own, whereas Baron picked his team up by getting everyone into it (and sustaining the team's energy). Clearly, we're in better hands with Baron.

I disagree. This was Baron's best game of the season and just an average game for Arenas.

Arenas might be the better scorer (by a hair, thanks to his 3-point range), but Baron is a much better team general, playmaker, tempo-changer, and defender. All of the reasons that Arenas is considered "better" than Baron all have to do with issues that don't relate to their games (ie, Baron's injury prone, Baron can't play as many minutes).

Well, first of all, if it's more than a season or two than being injury prone is part of how good a player you are.

Second, Gilbert is a leader, and Baron isn't. That's the biggest difference. Baron chooses his spots to be a leader, whereas Gilbert tries to will his team to win every game.

Gilbert Arenas is a FAR BETTER SCORER. It isn't even close. Gilbert is better at everything that is scoring related.

By the same vein, Baron is a far better passer. I won't try to debate that.

But that is where Baron's advantages end. They're equal rebounders. I don't think either of them are very good or very bad defenders. Their turnovers and fouls this year are the same, more or less, per minute.

Baron has a far better supporting cast than Gilbert's and wins less games, but a lot of that is due to injury and being in the west, so that is cancelled out.

It basically depends on what you want for your team. Gilbert is reliable and one of the best scorers in the league and one of the most clutch players in the league. Baron is unreliable and a choker. Baron is one of the best passers in the league. Gilbert is a ballhog.

Overall, I go with Arenas. When fully healthy, they're pretty damned even the first 46 minutes of the game, but Arenas is far more clutch and, ironically, passes it more in the clutch than baron does.
ImageImage
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 2:59 pm
tHe_pEsTiLeNcE wrote:Well, first of all, if it's more than a season or two than being injury prone is part of how good a player you are.

Second, Gilbert is a leader, and Baron isn't. That's the biggest difference. Baron chooses his spots to be a leader, whereas Gilbert tries to will his team to win every game.

Gilbert Arenas is a FAR BETTER SCORER. It isn't even close. Gilbert is better at everything that is scoring related.

But that is where Baron's advantages end. They're equal rebounders. I don't think either of them are very good or very bad defenders. Their turnovers and fouls this year are the same, more or less, per minute.

Baron has a far better supporting cast than Gilbert's and wins less games, but a lot of that is due to injury and being in the west, so that is cancelled out.

It basically depends on what you want for your team. Gilbert is reliable and one of the best scorers in the league and one of the most clutch players in the league. Baron is unreliable and a choker. Baron is one of the best passers in the league. Gilbert is a ballhog.

Overall, I go with Arenas. When fully healthy, they're pretty damned even the first 46 minutes of the game, but Arenas is far more clutch and, ironically, passes it more in the clutch than baron does.

Couldn't have said it better. =D>
All Star
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 3:18 pm
tHe_pEsTiLeNcE wrote:
32 wrote:
tHe_pEsTiLeNcE wrote:

Well, first of all, if it's more than a season or two than being injury prone is part of how good a player you are.

I mostly agree, especially since Arenas is my favorite player. But, Baron is a better rebounder (equal rebounding stat but Baron gets 5 less minutes a game), and a better stealer (same reason)/defender. Also, Arenas is a below-average passing PG, while Baron is an above-average scoring PG and an excellent passing PG.

Even if Gilbert has an edge on leading the team, it's not by much and Baron is a good leader in my opinion.
All Star
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 3:27 pm
JayPat wrote:
tHe_pEsTiLeNcE wrote:
32 wrote:
tHe_pEsTiLeNcE wrote:

I mostly agree, especially since Arenas is my favorite player. But, Baron is a better rebounder (equal rebounding stat but Baron gets 5 less minutes a game), and a better stealer (same reason)/defender. Also, Arenas is a below-average passing PG, while Baron is an above-average scoring PG and an excellent passing PG.

Even if Gilbert has an edge on leading the team, it's not by much and Baron is a good leader in my opinion.

the rebounding difference is like .05 boards per 48 minutes. It is equal.

Steals are slightly ahead for Baron, but steals are not the only indicator of defense, or the warriors wouldn't be a godawful defensive team.

And Gilbert is one of the five clutchest players in the league. Baron is not good in the clutch. Both of their ideas of "leadership" is taking the game into his own hands. The difference is that it works for Gilbert
ImageImage
Role Player
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 3:49 pm
Just an article about SJAX before the wizards game...and about his attitude :P

Either love it or leave it
For good or bad, Warriors' Jackson plays with fire
By Geoff Lepper/MediaNews Group
Article Launched: 03/23/2007 07:11:41 AM PDT

OAKLAND - Stephen Jackson can't imagine playing basketball without the fire and drive that have been hallmarks of his game since his days as a youth on the courts of Port Arthur, Texas.

Of course, sometimes it's impossible to play with that fire, as the Warriors found out a couple of weeks ago in Portland, when Jackson got himself tossed out in the third quarter when the team was already reeling from the pre-game loss of Baron Davis to injury.

"All of it, that's me," Jackson said. "Love it or leave it. I've played like that all my life. Ain't no need to change it now. Sometimes it's good, sometimes it's bad, but I live with the good and bad."

Right now, so do the Warriors.

Where most observers thought forward Al Harrington was Golden State's biggest prize in its eight-player trade with the Indiana Pacers in January, Jackson has proven to be equally invaluable - if not moreso - as Golden State (32-37) has made its late run at a playoff spot.

His ability as the Warriors' No. 1 perimeter defender means players like Mickael Pietrus and Matt Barnes can slide down a spot on the list of defensive assignments and dominate less talented opponents. Over his last 12 games played, he's averaging 16.2 points and 5.9 assists per
Advertisement
homes for sale
contest, showing off all-around skills that were well hidden in Indiana.

"He's a marvelous player," Warriors coach Don Nelson said. "He's a marvelous player. He's not perfect, but he has the ability and desire to guard. He's able to make some passes that a lot of (shooting guards and small forwards) can't make."

Asked if the Warriors found a diamond in the rough in Jackson, Warriors guard Baron Davis doesn't hesitate: "Absolutely, as far as being a defender and a guy who plays hard, brings intangibles and a toughness to a team that really needed it. . . . He's always been able to pass the ball, shoot the ball and make plays. Now he's in a situation where he's loved and people around him really believe in him and give him the freedom to be who he is."

Of course, there was a reason the Pacers were willing to rid themselves of Jackson, and it showed not only in Portland but also Tuesday in Utah, when he appeared to engage referee Mike Callahan in a spirited debate after picking up five fouls in the fourth quarter to earn a disqualification.

"He's done a pretty good job here, but he's lost it a few times wherever he's been," Nelson said. "It's his personality. Players play like their personality is. . . . Often times in sports, your strengths can be your weaknesses. What really makes him go, and the reason he is a great player, is his emotion. Occasionally, that can work as a negative."

Warriors forward Al Harrington claimed that Jackson was actually

talking to Davis and said Tuesday's situation was exacerbated by well-meaning teammates.

"I've been around Jack long enough to know when he's about to explode," Harrington said. "He was fine. It's just that everybody stood up and made

it look a lot worse than it was. . . . We're not babysitters. Nobody has to go and hold his hand and bring him to the bench."

Said Jackson: "I've been doing this for years. I know how to handle myself. I think if I need to get kicked out, I will. I just need to start policing myself on when to argue with referees and when not. Coming down to the situation we're in right now, I've got to be smarter and choose my times to argue with referees, because all these games are more important than anything."

Perhaps nobody knows that better than Jackson, who is the only Warriors player to have won an NBA championship (with the San Antonio Spurs

in 2002-03). In the meantime, Jackson will keep using his passion on the court to light a fire under the Warriors for their last 13 games, including tonight's showdown with the Washington Wizards at Oracle Arena.

"I play with a lot of energy. I play with a lot of emotion, and I think that's how I got to this point," Jackson said. "It's the only way I know how."

Said Davis: "I'd much rather have everybody on our team like that than somebody who never has any emotion and doesn't play with passion."

That's me :D
Role Player
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 4:21 pm
Is there a torrent for this game yet? It isn't on that Davka website. I missed this game and really want to watch it.
PreviousNext

Return to Game Threads